Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

QueenBW

VIP Member
Yeah, she's not the average person but it's a false dichotomy to say either you're a faded star or in the front pages everyday.

Look at Beyonce. At Lady Gaga. At Rihanna. They also enjoy the positive aspects of fame but their relationship with the media is much less codependent than Taylor's. None of them actively court attention to their actual personal lives, and they're still massive stars. Some would say bigger than Taylor (not me!).

I think that for me, that's what I don't understand about her. She's been burned before by this media game. She's felt her life spiral out of control. She's spoken about how the media has made her feel about herself and her body. But she has an unhealthy need to prove she can play and win the game. She won't gain anything from it. So I don't get it.

That theory that famous people stop maturing past the age they became famous seems to fit her. She's very teenagery in her actions sometimes. Like everything that's happening right now post breakup is very calculated and it just doesn't make much sense for a woman in her mid 30s, but if we think of a teenager... Then yep. It fits.

Reactions: 21

ls240898

VIP Member
I don’t understand why people are repulsed by the fact that Matt is seeing/dating/sleeping with her.

He is just a guy with a British accent. God forbid if she had to get used to a lover without an English accent.
Because he’s proved himself to be a pretty disgusting guy? She’s a grown woman so she can do whatever with whoever but Matty has a track record of being quite offensive

kyaraslife

I have followed Taylor since Fearless (original version) and have enjoyed her music throughout the last decade. Never has it been this way, where I have felt secondhand embarrassment and disgust towards her, when it comes to her actions.

I had blindly bought her narrative when it came to

1. Joe Jonas

The reality: The 27 second phone call breakup was publicised by her unnecessarily on public television. When it was later publicly revealed that the phone call was not supposed to be a breakup over the phone but an explanation, and she hung up on him! and that was the end of that relationship.

2. Jake G

The reality: She aired the dirty laundry again in royal fashion when the 10 minute video came about. A complete production from HER perspective about how it all went down, and what a poor little lamb she was. The Swift army attacked Jake after a decade, for a relationship that lasted for less than 3 months.

3. John M

The reality - I don’t support abuse. However she is controlling this narrative by implying that she wasn’t of age to be taken advantage by him. Last I checked she was an adult when this relationship happened. Her feelings are her feelings, she is allowed that. But the meanings between the lines are painting her as such a goody goody.

The Kanye scandals, Scooter, etc: I am very skeptical about the versions we hear from her. I am positive those things happened, and it caused her a great deal of pain. However I don’t buy her narrative.

Even if I disregard everything above, the way she is behaving towards Joe ( if the relationship ran it’s course as per her own song) is outright disrespectful and vindictive. A mature human being cannot take that stance about a relationship they cherished for 6 years and would not purposely try to hurt their ex publicly in this way. That says a lot about her as a person.

As fans her age has matured with time, she hasn’t. Younger fans will surely adore her and buy these narratives, but I can see straight through it and it’s disgusting.

The victim mentality is getting so old. Old as she is in age.

That’s my rant for today. I like her music and believe that Forklore was her best work. It was mature and beautiful. It’s truly sad to experience 16 year old behaviour from the same woman.

She shouldn’t have made her personal life her job to THIS EXTENT

• Haha
  • Heart

slugella

VIP Member
When he went on that podcast, I was literally like what the fuck, who is this person. It wasn’t funny, it was gross, but that’s the whole format of the podcast.
People who weren’t fans of matty wouldn’t have thought that was out of character, they’d just assume that’s who he is.
I don't get the "but thats the whole format of the podcast" comment. That doesn't excuse it, and it still shows a lot of how he is as a person to make those comments. Especially so publicly so who knows what sort of things he says behind closed doors if he says those on a podcast. No one forced him to go on the podcast or say those things.

Yano

Chatty Member
Who tf is buying a million slightly different copies of the same album? I thought everyone just uses Spotify nowadays 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart

newtoyou

VIP Member
Has anyone seen the #speakupnow hashtag on Twitter? It’s fans sharing this open letter to Taylor about how she shouldn’t date Matty. And there’s a video I saw where a fan said attendees of the tour have a “contract” with Taylor when they buy tickets and that means she shouldn’t have Matty on stage. It’s on the @speakupnow_13 account (edit- account has been deleted)

I don’t like Matty but I find it very strange behaviour from the fans. Maybe I’m too old to understand it 😅

• Haha
  • Wow

grannypants

VIP Member
Exactly !!!

she protected her relationship with Joe so fiercely because it was special and worth protecting , she said multiple times in lyrics that she thought he’d be her forever and she didn’t want any outside forces interfering with it and potentially jeopardising it . She’s so acutely aware that a life with her is not a normal life - “the rain is always gonna come when you’re standing with me” “is it enough?” .. she wanted to shield her relationship from that outside force .

with Matty , I think it’s clear what’s happened here . They clearly had something in 2014 , and it probably got rekindled when he worked with her on Midnights and then she appeared at their show in January . There’s been a mutual attraction there for years , and now she needs a ‘bad boy’ (… not a fucking racist though , Chris - anyone get that reference??) to just have fun with so the involvement of the media is less important , and to also she probably wants to hurt Joe a bit too and make sure she’s seen with him which is why it is more public !
elite reference. 10/10

77DD08C4-F6BF-4B92-8B55-7FCDC53602B2.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart

QueenBW

VIP Member
It wasn’t Matty that said it, he didn’t say anything about Ice Spice, the podcast hosts did
I refuse to listen to the podcast but per the WashPo, he laughed as the two hosts called her fat Chinese lady, Inuit Spice Girl, and put on derogatory fake accents "imitating" her. And then they asked if they were accurate and he basically said yes, that's what she's like. So it's hardly exculpatory to say he didn't say those things. He might as well have.

It's insane to me how people continue to defend him. Like yeah, free speech, he can say whatever, he can claim it was satire,
but then people can rightfully criticize him and call him a racist. And there's nothing to defend him for on that point.

I really wish we could go back to the days when Matty Healy wasn't a part of this thread but alas.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sad

bellbells16

VIP Member
He did a follow up post and has his tickets now. So alls well that ends well.
It’s not really the point though, is it? He still had to go on TikTok and put them on blast to get it sorted out. Can only imagine how the whole situation must have felt for him. He’s a big fan of Taylor’s and it must have been so exciting for him when they reached out and said she’s was going to use his routine and offered him tickets to attend the show only for him to be ghosted by them for months. Up until a few hours ago he didn’t even know if he’d be going tonight. It’s bad form. The lengths people go to to not critique Taylor/her team is mad. It’s easy to say, yeah they didn’t handle that well and just move on.

• Heart

pencilpen

Imagine if it was Joe being really open and getting papped left right and centre with someone new, he'd be ripped apart!

I'm so excited for speak now TV though.

Periwinkleblue

Hello you all I've been following for ages.

I personally feel really bereft. Since Red original which coincided with a really bad break up, TS has been my go to. Late nights alone with her music made me feel strong and less alone.

Honestly whilst I love what she's doing on tour the Matty Healy thing destroys the narrative I bought into. And thats the thing with TS yes the sings are great but we buy into this narrative.

She was happy to share how they met, how the relationship was...now her complete silence leaves me with Closure issues.

Yes. To me it matters what happens because I hear the songs differently now.

I'm actually upset about it all. I know that's ridiculous. She's only human. But she does monetize her love life....there are two key channels in the brand: the music and the personal life.

Being silent on what went on with Joe after selling the dream of finding the one is disruptive

• Heart
Reactions: 20

sleepingpanda

VIP Member
We don’t know what happened with Joe and Taylor but come on Tay, don’t disrespect him, this man literally dragged you from hell in 2016…as you say in CIWYW “walking with his head down, I’m the one he’s walking to” he doesn’t care for your famous life he loved you for YOU.

Yupyupyup

VIP Member
She encourages fans to adapt their own meanings to her songs and not to focus on how they relate to her life , so do that instead . I’ve been with my husband for 10 years and he saves his dirtiest jokes for me , and at every table I’ll always save him a seat . To me that song isn’t about Taylor and Joe.
This 100000x over. I really struggled to understand where people were coming from when they said certain songs were ruined/hard to listen to after the split. I assumed maybe that’s just the younger folk or less experienced in the love game folk, because I never hear any song and initially thing or feel who it’s about to the artist. Even the more specific songs like invisible string, that fits with how things went down with me and my partner so even if some of the lyrics don’t fit, it still reminds me of him. Heck even Last Kiss doesn’t make me think “ah, Joe Jonas.” It makes me think “lol remember that first bf I had that I thought was the end of the world when he broke up with me”. I thought everyone listened to music like this, but especially with the re-records and Midnights I noticed it seems the current generation of fans are obsessed with figuring out who the song is about instead of just enjoying it.

• Heart

QueenBW

VIP Member
Look, I don't agree with what Holly was saying nor do I think her time was well spent, but she's made her account private now because the hardcore Swifties went at her. And that's the part of this fandom that I find really icky. The mob mentality is so off-putting.

• Heart