Tanya Burr #17 cool girl aesthetic, cool girl pathetic

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I much prefer her old face. Her eyebrows now look too harsh and I thought her old imperfect teeth were much cuter as well.
I fell down a rabbit hole earlier and ended up watching this short clip from channel 4. Seeing the huge crowds of teenage girls waiting to meet her I had forgotten just how popular she was at one point. It's maybe not surprising that her and Jim kind of lost themselves a bit. It seemed for a just a couple of years that everything she touched worked out for her.
Jim less so. It felt like he was always floudering and had no directon.
Can’t believe how much Anna has changed

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Haven’t looked at this thread for a while and glad I did haha thanks for the laughs people 😂😂

Reactions: 3
It's honestly kind of concerning how attached she is to being fake blonde. It's way past "just a bad haircut," and it's to the point where it has become this self-destructive thing she's been doing for years now. I mean she's willingly going bald over this.

It's also morphed into something way bigger, where it's no longer just a hair color, and she thinks she has a whole other personality/life now because she's blonde. It seems quite toxic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
The mop has better ends!

That hairdresser needs to be stopped. Every head she touches she ruins! I can just imagine going for a consultation with her- “so I’m going to bleach the utter tit out of your lovely healthy natural hair, then I’ll just leave it I think as I don’t need scissors or any hairdressing skill as it’ll all break off naturally! Then come back in a few weeks and I’ll bleach it ALL over again when your roots come back!”

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It's honestly kind of concerning how attached she is to being fake blonde. It's way past just a "bad haircut" and it's to the point where it has become self-destructive.

I know this is a bit of a reach, and it's just speculation, but it genuinely makes me wonder if she has some type of undiagnosed personality disorder. It's not just a hair color to her...she's literally trying to be someone she's not (which is also apparent in the acting stint, rapid weight loss, trashing her own career, her time spent in LA/NYC, etc.)
I think it likely that she associates the hair colour with the old “Jim & Tanya” that she wants to distance herself from. I don’t think it needs to go as far as personality disorder. In the same way none of us would want the hair do we had at 19, particularly if we don’t identify with that person, or feel embarrassed or damaged by that era.

I don’t think she’s trying to be something she’s not, this is just who she is now. You don’t have to be good at something to be it. She’s a divorced, mother who lives in London, has wealth and an interest in art, food, wine and fashion. It’s be weird if she reverted to her school leaver from Norwich, shops in miss selfridge and Superdrug, eats meal deals from Tesco and reads chick lit style. The interim Gleam Tanya was a character designed to be relatable.

The hair is awful but if that’s what she identifies with, what can you do. I think the fringe was an attempt to fix it, it’s not worked. Hopefully she’ll find another solution if she’s not happy with it, if she is, who are we to judge? Plenty of people have awful hair by conventional standards.

Reactions: 5
I think it likely that she associates the hair colour with the old “Jim & Tanya” that she wants to distance herself from. I don’t think it needs to go as far as personality disorder. In the same way none of us would want the hair do we had at 19, particularly if we don’t identify with that person, or feel embarrassed or damaged by that era.

I don’t think she’s trying to be something she’s not, this is just who she is now. You don’t have to be good at something to be it. She’s a divorced, mother who lives in London, has wealth and an interest in art, food, wine and fashion. It’s be weird if she reverted to her school leaver from Norwich, shops in miss selfridge and Superdrug, eats meal deals from Tesco and reads chick lit style. The interim Gleam Tanya was a character designed to be relatable.

The hair is awful but if that’s what she identifies with, what can you do. I think the fringe was an attempt to fix it, it’s not worked. Hopefully she’ll find another solution if she’s not happy with it, if she is, who are we to judge? Plenty of people have awful hair by conventional standards.
Hopefully she starts identifying with regular trims and deep conditioning masks soon.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The mop has better ends!
Definitely! I was actually reminded of one of those mob dogs but they just are so cute and fluffy! and they own it. Just look at them ⬇
Totally unfair to compare them to Tanya's hair so I decided on a real mob in stead. I simply just couldn't find one bad enough :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♀️ 🙈

portrait-komondor-600nw-155001557.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I wonder if the fringe has been cut because there was so much breakage? By cutting a fringe, she can at least say that some of the short bits are meant to be that short...

Is it normal for hair to be such a strong part of people's identity?

This is a genuine question; I'm Autistic and hair is a bunch of mostly-dead cells that occasionally become inconvenient and need to be clipped short again. Like fingernails. It seems genuinely bizarre to me that someone would think hair is "who they are" or somehow represents their identity. But does it? Is that how people actually think?

• Heart

This is a genuine question; I'm Autistic and hair is a bunch of mostly-dead cells that occasionally become inconvenient and need to be clipped short again. Like fingernails. It seems genuinely bizarre to me that someone would think hair is "who they are" or somehow represents their identity. But does it? Is that how people actually think?

i think there's a spectrum of how much people identify with their hair and how it makes them "themselves", but it is very personal for many. Hair is directly visible and can change your look instantly, the same person can look entirely different, good or bad, by getting a haircut or dye job. So from that angle, many people will place a lot of importance on how their hair looks and might place more importance of significance on it than fingernails. While they're visible of course as well, they aren't as noticeable.

Reactions: 11

For most people yes!
I think it has mostly to do with confidence. I used to have really beautiful, thick and long hair. I'm not trying to brag but I had such beautiful hair and I didn't have to do much either, basically just washing and brushing and it looked super healthy and during summer I had kinds of shades of blond and light red. In a way it was a big part of me. I always had really bad body image, from young age, but that was something I liked about myself .. always. I took pride in it and it gave me something about my outer appearance to be happy about. I got bullied a lot growing up, but my hair was never subject of it. If anything people would often say they wish they had my hair and it made me feel better about myself. So I started associating my hair with something very positive, something to take pride in, something to like. Something I had that people wouldn't shame me for etc. In a way it represented a lot for me in ways I can't really describe well in English. Then, when I got ill many years ago I got really really stressed about it and the shock of my illness and the diagnose caused me basically lose most of my hair. It shedded and shedded and I had a few baldish spots (was able to cover them up a bit but I noticed). There I was, ill and feeling awful mentally.. I lost my health, and then something that I always had that was "mine" something that was almost untouched (?) in a way, I lost it! I felt so much shame! I didn't dare leaving the house without a cap. I lost so much of my confidence! It felt like I lost a huge part of myself! It's really awful when something that happens on the inside starts to show on the outside. I was devastated. I couldn't stop crying about it. I was so afraid people would start to get mean to me, or comment on it, that people would tell me I looked awful, that people would gossip about it... ask about it.
I think for a lot of people it represents something like that, too. Like pride, confidence.
Now years later my hair is still not back, it's better than it was back then but I have accepted by now that I will never get my old hair back and through a lot of therapy I have come to accept it in a way and I try not to think about it too much. I now just do my best to take good care of it (and myself) and hope for the best. Now i'm just happy it's healthy and grows well and even though it's not thick and a lot anymore it doesn't look too bad either.
I think for a lot of people hair is very important in a confidence and pride but also for identity. A certain haircut can make people feel a certain way or it matches a certain style they like or feel like it suits them or something that they feel comfortable with! When you lose that, you can really lose a lot of your identity and part of who you are because your outer appearance doesn't match anymore with your personality - for a lot of people this is very confusing and can cause a lot of mental issues.
(with therapy those can definitely be addressed though and get better, but that is a learning process that takes a long time)

• Heart
Reactions: 25

I've copied and pasted from a comment I made on another thread.
"There’s an interesting analysis regarding how in films and media the ‘baddie’ often has scarred skin, the loser is spotty, the creep is greasy and grey. Whereas the hero/love interest is fair faced. We’re conditioned to think bad skin = poor character"
Hair is the same. Greasy hair indicates lack of hygeine, unbrushed = lack of self care, Grey or baldness can convey age and so on. The hero always has thick, shiny, healthy hair indicating good health and clean living. Society makes associations based on hair.
Then there are movements and religions that use their hair as a symbol such as Punk, skinhead, Rasta, Amish, Sikh etc Spirituality and hair go hand in had in a lot of cultures.
There is far more to it that just a bunch of dead skin cells which is crazy when you consider it's so beyond our control.

• Heart
Reactions: 14