Susie Verrill #2 woke in the streets, racist in the tweets.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d hate to say the wrong thing here but seen as I haven’t seen anyone else reply to you I thought I would explain what I think she meant by it. Dolphins carry extra endorphins (natural pain relief) so some people believed swimming with dolphins or being around them helped with comfort and is pain relieving. Their sonar was said to have positive influence on motor skills and speech. So it was a popular activity for people with disabilities, especially children. I think it’s now been proved not to have the effect people once claimed though.
Nobody quote me on the details as I only vaguely remember this from watching a youtube video about dolphins years and years ago. But you get the gist of why I think she said Dolphins remind her of disabled children 😔.
Off topic- but GREAT username!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I can’t think of any reason why she isn’t calling her out is because of the go fund me. A shame for someone that claims to stick up for what’s right
I don't want to stick up for her but I don't think either of those posts are racists, they're taking the piss out of others in Dover for being racist surely? Like when Emma Thompson said the BNP would love Exeter University because it was so white (it was - I went there!)

Reactions: 3
I can’t think of any reason why she isn’t calling her out is because of the go fund me. A shame for someone that claims to stick up for what’s right
She's actually slating morons who blame the country's problems on immigrants here. There's lots of them in this part of Kent, trust me!

Reactions: 6
Because the word bleep is offensive?
It’s just a word.

Women shouldn’t be made to feel bad or have to question themselves for using it . If you don’t like it that’s ok so scroll on but don’t assume everybody should think the same as you.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hi Susie,

Thank you for responding - I imagine it comes as little surprise that if I knew you or CaC would read it I’d have been much less cutting (or possibly said nothing at all!)

On reflection my last comment was unfair, largely because there are undoubtedly worthier targets of the remark — it is obvious that you and CaC are motivated by pure intentions and are not simply being vain, so social climbing is an unkind and off base accusation.

I do stand by the general gist of what I said (although am genuinely sorry I dumped it at your door a bit) - I do seriously question the wisdom of the current state of play on social media as far as social activism is concerned, and I genuinely think that we’ve all effectively sleepwalked into a situation wherein we’re essentially forced to abandon nuance. I know that race in particular is very difficult terrain for people to navigate and that the vast majority of people are doing their best and only trying to do and say the right thing.

I think my frustration — and the irony that I have now effectively contributed to this myself isn’t lost on me — is that people are now being so roundly chastised for every perceived transgression (and I know Susie Verrill’s duck-up isn’t exactly a momentary lapse of judgment, although I do think that people on here have to an extent lost track of how quickly the Overton window of what is considered edgily daft and what is outright repugnant does shift) that people are frightened to communicate organically or spontaneously. I’ve seen people in the last few days crucified by one activism account for doing something intended to help that 48 hours prior was declared the absolute bare minimum by another activist account with broadly similar goals/politics etc. I fully admit it is easy for me to say from the sidelines, but from the way the whole “sphere” is structured it’s as though once you’re in it it’s impossible not to abide by the unwritten rules to an extent without inviting censure yourself, so people are in a constant feedback loop of anxiety and guilt. I don’t think that ultimately wins any hearts and minds, I think it just gets people falling into line either blindly or in some cases resentfully. And there’s also the fact that it’s gendered — women tend to be less callous, more collaborative and more empathetic - the flip side of which is that we are more susceptible to this particular brand of political cattle-prodding.

On here I’ve always been inclined to be sympathetic to people with social platforms who end up in the eye of the storm and don’t decide to get “ballsy” or take a potentially unpopular position because as much as it’s tempting to imagine we’d all do it, I think it’s easy for someone who only uses their Twitter/Insta etc in a private capacity to overlook how psychologically damaging it is to have armies of strangers calling you a witch or a fool or a tone-deaf xyz etc etc. Most of the time I think people ultimately don’t deserve this even when they have done something I would consider to be completely unjustifiable.

I’m being really long-winded here — I suppose what I’m trying to say is that I think that for most people “watching” who aren’t already massively politically engaged, the current status quo where people are pressured into only expressing particular stances in very particular ways (and if they try but are clumsy somehow they’re pilloried) is it’s intuitively off-putting to people, and in some cases probably has the opposite effect to what’s intended. Two people who have broadly the same views and goals re: what is essential for a fair society can end up disagreeing on all sorts of things in terms of what’s realistic and what isn’t, what will actually work and what won’t, what is fundamental human nature and what isn’t, what is forgivable and what is unforgivable. My sense from Insta at the moment is that there is very limited room for that type of discussion. And I’m of course not disputing that there are discussions when certain demographics should have the floor and others should take more of a back seat, but there is IMO a limit to that beyond which things are just intransigent and ultimately unhelpful. And I think because so many people with platforms don’t have a massively holistic or thorough body of knowledge, they have to fall back on the intransigence of other more established or more confident voices to avoid things getting into an ugly spiral.

I know I’m getting dangerously close to an anti-cancel-culture diatribe here which isn’t my intention, but I do think the current landscape isn’t sustainable, and I think it’s a way of operating that is vulnerable to spiralling, and that for all its progressive intentions can end up appealing very much to some of our more medieval instincts.

I was having a difficult time for a while a couple of years ago with some temporary but serious autoimmune and mobility issues, and your content was a real comfort to me. You are a valuable contributor and I think have a real knack for looking at troublesome and upsetting things and making something joyful but genuinely meaningful out of them. It’s entirely appropriate that you don’t see BLM as something you can talk un-self-consciously about in the way that you can about, say, disability and health and workplace bullying (I feel the same, despite being of mixed heritage!) but as I say, I do think that everything is becoming unhelpfully gladiatorial.

I really hope you don’t take what I said to mean that you should somehow hem yourself in further or not speak out when you think people have been cruel. I can’t pretend I don’t find the discourse and exposés atm exhausting and destructive, but I was being cutting / breezily unkind in the way that I appraised you and CaC because, to be blunt, I didn’t think you’d ever read it.
This is fantastic.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think you're right. Susie only had 125k followers and mostly just did tit adverts

Greg has as much personality as a corn beef sandwich so no one really remembers him much.
That’s a bit harsh, I love a corn beef and tomato sandwich 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I read Kisscub’s post earlier this morning — hadn’t read it before I posted anything yesterday.

I’m making a bit of an assumption here but my guess is that the incident she referenced (where Susie and her husband pulled faces that came across as mocking people with CP and then ignoring requests to take to down) was relatively recent, in comparison with the tweets.

That, tbh, makes me even more doubtful (an understatement, in truth) that SV has done an about-turn in the intervening few years, in terms of her attitude towards hurtful transgressions.

While I don’t agree with this methodology and think that, in its own way, it is often as cowardly as immediate overly obsequious and disingenuous apologies to save face, to an extent I understand the rationale behind the Dominic Cummings style “never apologise” mantra — at least strategically, in terms of screw-ups in the public sphere. The truth is that apologising very often makes things worse; if it’s too restrained then it is assumed you don’t mean it, if it’s too operatic and emotionally demonstrative then a) it is assumed you don’t mean it and b) people smell blood, because at a very base, animal level you’re seen to have demeaned yourself. Very often things do actually blow over when people don’t apologise. Of course it isn’t right or noble, but from a purely logical POV it has some function.

But this is completely different. Verrill had absolutely nothing to lose by apologising to KC and taking down the story. Nothing. It could all have been conducted privately, and if anyone had noticed and asked her about it, it would have been very straightforward for her to address it, simply by explaining that she’d posted it without thinking about the connotations, which had since been brought to her attention, and so she had removed it so that nobody else had to see it and potentially be hurt by it.

The fact that she took the same approach she did with her old tweets in private with the mother of a disabled child (you’d think that would make someone humbler/more circumspect even if only out of social embarrassment, at the very least!) when it would have cost her absolutely nothing to do the right thing makes me a lot more dubious about her. Most people have an aversion to hurting someone’s feelings, and by the sounds of it this was not something where the hurt feelings were over something fundamentally benign. So it is troubling that SV’s instinct was to do nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
At some point , in order to maintain his platform / earnings from social media, he is going to have to post some kind of photo that allows comments. He can’t carry on just posting videos of chicks ! So at some point, he has a decision to make regarding how he is going to go forward. Suzie’s tweets are indefensible so he can’t defend her , so I wonder how he is going to respond.
It is crucial for his ongoing earnings that he has to maintain a positive social media platform but so much of his content is geared around family life.

Expect more bring out your dead moments with the mumfluencer brigade. MOD, SV, who’s next??

Reactions: 2
Brummy mummy is weighing in on her stories
I don’t understand why so many are not naming her - the vague hints at “someone I worked with” by SO many of them if they do mention it at all is so disingenuous. That said, I’m glad she’s said something. The collective silence has been deafening on this one.

She is one year older than me. The whole thing about being young and stupid is ridiculous. She would have been 25 that's not that young and naive. I also lived in a very white and ignorant village growing up and a town that still is. Well I educated myself and was just never a dick about people who were different to me. Its really that simple.

Reactions: 9
Susie is with the same management as Saconne Joly’s right? They silenced UG and Luisa Zissman

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.