Susie Verrill #2 woke in the streets, racist in the tweets.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s even more disappointing then that no one called her out on it properly at the time. It should have been a scandal at the time, not just now because of everything that’s going on. Where were the allies then standing up for anti-racism. Sadly I think this situation reflects just as badly on us as a society as it does on Susie.
Calling people out on Social Media is near on impossible, it’s the reason tattle exists. It doesn’t matter whether it is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...the stock response is either delete and block or get your followers to pile on to the person who is disagreeing or challenging the poster.

It is all just a big echo chamber. I listed some of the concerning behaviour a few pages ago...if you dared questions any of it on social media you would get shot down.

If we could challenge and have these discussions on social media platforms this place wouldn’t exist.

Reactions: 31
That’s even more disappointing then that no one called her out on it properly at the time. It should have been a scandal at the time, not just now because of everything that’s going on. Where were the allies then standing up for anti-racism. Sadly I think this situation reflects just as badly on us as a society as it does on Susie.

"Us"
I certainly never followed Susie Nuts Verill on twitter.
I've never heard anyone talk the way she has done about people.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
"Us"
I certainly never followed Susie Nuts Verill on twitter.
I've never heard anyone talk the way she has done about people.
And I said in my original comment that it wasn’t an accusation of anyone in particular. I’m talking in a wider sense about society letting these sorts of things go without challenging them. What I said originally is below, I appreciate you may not have seen it as obviously there’s lots of comments and I’ve only read a few myself.

I’m sure many people here weren’t following her on Twitter when these tweets were written so this isn’t an accusation to anyone specific, however it’s a point that society and social media users at the time failed to stand up for black lives at the time when she did this.

Reactions: 2
I’m not sure if anyone has raised this yet but most white people are guilty of racism or micro-aggressions to black and minority ethnic people. It’s a hard thing to admit and reflect on but a small positive from what’s been going on recently is that more people will examine and hopefully unpick their own prejudices. Perhaps the saddest thing about this situation is that those tweets were in the public domain for years, they may only have recently been brought to light, but why didn’t her friends and twitter followers at the time (of which I imagine she had less) call her out on it then? It’s all of our responsibility to challenge these kind of things, yet no one did. It’s easy to call them out now in the current climate, why didn’t anyone do it then?

I’m sure many people here weren’t following her on Twitter when these tweets were written so this isn’t an accusation to anyone specific, however it’s a point that society and social media users at the time failed to stand up for black lives at the time when she did this.
Yes, me, I am guilty of it and also guilty of not calling people out.

Calling people out on Social Media is near on impossible, it’s the reason tattle exists. It doesn’t matter whether it is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...the stock response is either delete and block or get your followers to pile on to the person who is disagreeing or challenging the poster.

It is all just a big echo chamber. I listed some of the concerning behaviour a few pages ago...if you dared questions any of it on social media you would get shot down.

If we could challenge and have these discussions on social media platforms this place wouldn’t exist.
That’s a very good point.

Yes, me, I am guilty of it and also guilty of not calling people out.
I’m sure many of us are!

Reactions: 6
And I said in my original comment that it wasn’t an accusation of anyone in particular. I’m talking in a wider sense about society letting these sorts of things go without challenging them. What I said originally is below, I appreciate you may not have seen it as obviously there’s lots of comments and I’ve only read a few myself.

Let's not detract from shifting blame for what Susie said onto other people.

Do you work for Susan and Greg and their chickens?

Reactions: 7
Not to mention the fact Susie sees herself as elite. She didn't converse with peasants apparently. Especially ones that were critical of her....

I remember asking Greg politely if they used some random product they do ads for ...I got blocked...

• Wow
Reactions: 3
One lovely woman put under one the tweets about Romanians something like “I’m Romanian, can I ask why you don’t like us” or words to that effect. And it just broke my heart. It was just plaintive and sweet. And Horrible Susan replied “Are you from Dover?”. Really curt. Here was someone in front of her, a real person who’s feeling she had actually hurt and instead of going “Oh my Christ I’ve actually upset someone here, what a prick, people reading this are actually real” and apologising, she doubled down. BELLEND.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
Let's not detract from shifting blame for what Susie said onto other people.

Do you work for Susan and Greg and their chickens?
I’m not blaming others for what Susie said. I’m saying that as a society we have a responsibility to challenge racist views when ones such as this arise, not just when anti-racism is in the media and trending on social media.

It feels like you’re spoiling for a fight and being deliberately argumentative, that’s how you’re coming across anyway. If we want to dismantle racism we all need to work on our own prejudices which means examining our own responsibility for it. Perhaps you’re an anti-racist already who hasn’t ever shown prejudice or participated in micro-aggressions, if so then I applaud you, it’s something I’m trying to work towards.

Reactions: 10
I’m not blaming others for what Susie said. I’m saying that as a society we have a responsibility to challenge racist views when ones such as this arise, not just when anti-racism is in the media and trending on social media.

It feels like you’re spoiling for a fight and being deliberately argumentative, that’s how you’re coming across anyway. If we want to dismantle racism we all need to work on our own prejudices which means examining our own responsibility for it. Perhaps you’re an anti-racist already who hasn’t ever shown prejudice or participated in micro-aggressions, if so then I applaud you, it’s something I’m trying to work towards.
Oh my gosh I'm not spoiling for anything.
We all get the point you're making.
Susie's a bleep and would block delete and ignore anyone who tried to make her be a better, bigger person (which If you look through the archives -they actually did . Someone called her and Gregory out on Nelson Mandela and a couple of other big issues.susie actually said "I'm bored of the race tit" )

• Heart
Not to mention the fact Susie sees herself as elite. She didn't converse with peasants apparently. Especially ones that were critical of her....

I remember asking Greg politely if they used some random product they do ads for ...I got blocked...
I always wondered if they actually gave their kids the Haliborange vitamins that they were advertising for ages. Bit convenient that they apparently always used them and then here comes an ad!

One lovely woman put under one the tweets about Romanians something like “I’m Romanian, can I ask why you don’t like us” or words to that effect. And it just broke my heart. It was just plaintive and sweet. And Horrible Susan replied “Are you from Dover?”. Really curt. Here was someone in front of her, a real person who’s feeling she had actually hurt and instead of going “Oh my Christ I’ve actually upset someone here, what a prick, people reading this are actually real” and apologising, she doubled down. BELLEND.

Exactly!!!!
I'm meant to be sorting dinner I'll go through my screen shots of people who pulled Susie's behaviour up and the responses they got ASAP...

Normally people would respond well to being pulled up on "casual ingrained racist comments" (abhorrent we know it's not an excuse!! But they'd be like oh tit yeah that isn't right, I didn't mean to hurt anyone )
Susie was intentionally making disturbing comments....it was almost like she was attacking people for being : Romanian, poor, overweight, disabled...

Hello! This is about me - I wanted to respond... and this is my first time on tattle so wasn't sure if I'm using the functionality correctly (apologies if not). I think your assessment of me probably has a lot of truth to it, and seeing it on paper has been a jolt to the system. I started my instagram and blog (which is now defunct due to lack of time!) to talk about having an invisible disability, and I had a lot of confidence in that because it's my daily life. I obviously don't know if you've followed me for a long time or not, so I don't know if you have seen much of that at all. I started chatting about politics at the last election and during the pandemic, and you're right, it's not my lane. I talked about it because I am interested in politics, I have always believed that everything is political, and I wanted to encourage people to engage in politics. I worry that people not engaging because they don't think they're experts can sometimes have the impact of people just ignoring it or feel overwhelmed. But I definitely take your point on board, and it's been a good for me to see how it has come across.
Hi Susie,

Thank you for responding - I imagine it comes as little surprise that if I knew you or CaC would read it I’d have been much less cutting (or possibly said nothing at all!)

On reflection my last comment was unfair, largely because there are undoubtedly worthier targets of the remark — it is obvious that you and CaC are motivated by pure intentions and are not simply being vain, so social climbing is an unkind and off base accusation.

I do stand by the general gist of what I said (although am genuinely sorry I dumped it at your door a bit) - I do seriously question the wisdom of the current state of play on social media as far as social activism is concerned, and I genuinely think that we’ve all effectively sleepwalked into a situation wherein we’re essentially forced to abandon nuance. I know that race in particular is very difficult terrain for people to navigate and that the vast majority of people are doing their best and only trying to do and say the right thing.

I think my frustration — and the irony that I have now effectively contributed to this myself isn’t lost on me — is that people are now being so roundly chastised for every perceived transgression (and I know Susie Verrill’s duck-up isn’t exactly a momentary lapse of judgment, although I do think that people on here have to an extent lost track of how quickly the Overton window of what is considered edgily daft and what is outright repugnant does shift) that people are frightened to communicate organically or spontaneously. I’ve seen people in the last few days crucified by one activism account for doing something intended to help that 48 hours prior was declared the absolute bare minimum by another activist account with broadly similar goals/politics etc. I fully admit it is easy for me to say from the sidelines, but from the way the whole “sphere” is structured it’s as though once you’re in it it’s impossible not to abide by the unwritten rules to an extent without inviting censure yourself, so people are in a constant feedback loop of anxiety and guilt. I don’t think that ultimately wins any hearts and minds, I think it just gets people falling into line either blindly or in some cases resentfully. And there’s also the fact that it’s gendered — women tend to be less callous, more collaborative and more empathetic - the flip side of which is that we are more susceptible to this particular brand of political cattle-prodding.

On here I’ve always been inclined to be sympathetic to people with social platforms who end up in the eye of the storm and don’t decide to get “ballsy” or take a potentially unpopular position because as much as it’s tempting to imagine we’d all do it, I think it’s easy for someone who only uses their Twitter/Insta etc in a private capacity to overlook how psychologically damaging it is to have armies of strangers calling you a witch or a fool or a tone-deaf xyz etc etc. Most of the time I think people ultimately don’t deserve this even when they have done something I would consider to be completely unjustifiable.

I’m being really long-winded here — I suppose what I’m trying to say is that I think that for most people “watching” who aren’t already massively politically engaged, the current status quo where people are pressured into only expressing particular stances in very particular ways (and if they try but are clumsy somehow they’re pilloried) is it’s intuitively off-putting to people, and in some cases probably has the opposite effect to what’s intended. Two people who have broadly the same views and goals re: what is essential for a fair society can end up disagreeing on all sorts of things in terms of what’s realistic and what isn’t, what will actually work and what won’t, what is fundamental human nature and what isn’t, what is forgivable and what is unforgivable. My sense from Insta at the moment is that there is very limited room for that type of discussion. And I’m of course not disputing that there are discussions when certain demographics should have the floor and others should take more of a back seat, but there is IMO a limit to that beyond which things are just intransigent and ultimately unhelpful. And I think because so many people with platforms don’t have a massively holistic or thorough body of knowledge, they have to fall back on the intransigence of other more established or more confident voices to avoid things getting into an ugly spiral.

I know I’m getting dangerously close to an anti-cancel-culture diatribe here which isn’t my intention, but I do think the current landscape isn’t sustainable, and I think it’s a way of operating that is vulnerable to spiralling, and that for all its progressive intentions can end up appealing very much to some of our more medieval instincts.

I was having a difficult time for a while a couple of years ago with some temporary but serious autoimmune and mobility issues, and your content was a real comfort to me. You are a valuable contributor and I think have a real knack for looking at troublesome and upsetting things and making something joyful but genuinely meaningful out of them. It’s entirely appropriate that you don’t see BLM as something you can talk un-self-consciously about in the way that you can about, say, disability and health and workplace bullying (I feel the same, despite being of mixed heritage!) but as I say, I do think that everything is becoming unhelpfully gladiatorial.

I really hope you don’t take what I said to mean that you should somehow hem yourself in further or not speak out when you think people have been cruel. I can’t pretend I don’t find the discourse and exposés atm exhausting and destructive, but I was being cutting / breezily unkind in the way that I appraised you and CaC because, to be blunt, I didn’t think you’d ever read it.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oh my gosh I'm not spoiling for anything.
We all get the point you're making.
Susie's a bleep and would block delete and ignore anyone who tried to make her be a better, bigger person (which If you look through the archives -they actually did . Someone called her and Gregory out on Nelson Mandela and a couple of other big issues.susie actually said "I'm bored of the race tit" )
It’s great that some people called her out, they were real allies. The difference is that the number of people who called her out and were shocked by her tweets at the time weren’t enough to make her come off social media or acknowledge that what she said was wrong, unlike now. She still gained a bigger following, brands still worked with her. It just illustrates the structural racism in society, her agents didn’t care enough to not sign her up. The brands who if they’d done a tiny bit of research on her (which I’m sure they did) didn’t care enough not to work with her. Now that black lives matter is in the media she’s rightly being called out on it. It’s just a bit late IMO.

Yes they did but we’re trying to hold her accountable now - kind of the point of this thread.

• Heart
It’s great that some people called her out, they were real allies. The difference is that the number of people who called her out and were shocked by her tweets at the time weren’t enough to make her come off social media or acknowledge that what she said was wrong, unlike now. She still gained a bigger following, brands still worked with her. It just illustrates the structural racism in society, her agents didn’t care enough to not sign her up. The brands who if they’d done a tiny bit of research on her (which I’m sure they did) didn’t care enough not to work with her. Now that black lives matter is in the media she’s rightly being called out on it. It’s just a bit late IMO.

Okay that was better explained and I don't have a baby bungee jumping off my nipples now.
Very good points.

I can't help but wonder if her management and the companies who work with her didn't bother checking her twitter though?

Greg knew her personality when they got together. Liked her twitter stories and everything. He knew.

I follow her (and she's here, hey susiebluesyy!) and was surprised by those stories. However, she did delete those stories and posted again today say she'd fucked up, she hadn't seen all of SusieV's horrible tweets before she posted that.
Ok, I didn't realise that. It is interesting though that she was extremely quick to make an exception and "uncancel" (within the hour) based on minimal info (Susie V's own post), but took a couple of days to comment when she had all of the evidence infront of her.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.