Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
wow some people here should really consider a career as detectives my god! I don't follow her on insta but as soon as I saw the title for the new video I knew she was finally gonna announce the pregnancy

Reactions: 19

Lucy_B

I understand what all of you are saying and I feel the same about many points. For me, it’s slightly different. I am a few years ahead of Jess and some of you. I’m older, graduated longer ago and have a more established career with a well-paying job at a large consultancy firm. A job with long hours and for which I have had to work very hard to get where I am, with bosses at my firm who accept no excuses when things need to be done and with hard deadlines. But I have a nice income.

I’m only saying this to say that I see Jess in a totally different light and I hope and know that you will get to this point in your careers as well. I do remember trying to find a job with my degree as well and struggling to get by.

But when I look at Jess, I am not jealous at all. I see someone who could have done so much, but is stuck in a career she is not fully embracing and has no financial pressure to try and work her way up elsewhere. She is lost and is trying hard not to come across as empty. I was so disappointed that she went on to be an influencer, out of many people I watched, I never thought she would go down this route. Especially since she has money, she could have taken the smallest, little paying intern job wherever, just to gain experience while not worrying about paying rent and insurance.

So I watch more in a way that you would watch trash tv, or things like Made in Chelsea, it’s not relatable at all, and I mostly watch to see what empty things the influencer (Jess) is up to now. I do not feel the difference in wealth, although she is far richer than me, because I know I am doing well. She confirms to me that it’s not good for you not to have a purpose in life. I am happy I am on the working life train and looking back at what I have achieved.

I do sometimes get a feeling of nostalgia, of the days I would just watch to see what new stuff people had bought, even though I could not afford myself. At the moment, I couldn’t care less about what all these people by or receive. My life is not about that anymore. Sure, I like and buy nice things, but I do not want mountains of clothing or shelves full of skincare.

I hope your careers will pick up like mine has and that you will be able to get your foot between the door (but who knows what the economy does?), and that you will get to a point where you realise that we are better off than them. It’s nice to not have to worry about money. But it’s also nice to have to earn your own money.

• Heart

beanpie

This is laughable. Social media is Jess' only job, and she can't even do that properly. She has NO excuses.
It's the easiest job in the world. It's not back breaking, and it can be well paid.

Zac helps her out. He edits her videos and helps her take pictures.
She's not studying.
She has no other jobs.
No worry of bills to be paid for, as her mum bank rolls her.
She's just lazy, and her mum enables her laziness.
Sometimes when you're born into wealth you have no direction or purpose.
Money (that you haven't worked for) will always be available to you.

Nbg85

Of all the people I know who have broken lockdown rules, most of them are privalaged/rich and it drives me mad. It's not the fact they have lots of money but the attitude that goes with it that the rules don't apply to them.

Clearly staying in their huge fancy London house for Christmas would have just been too much of a hardship for them

jazyblu

Chatty Member
The pumpkin was when there was no confusion imo!

She definitely looked at the pregnancy book on good reads right when she found out then.

I don't think kids was an immediate priority, I see it as more of a happy accident. I'm sure they were happy when they found out since they have the house, and jess apparently makes enough money despite only working about a day a month, but I don't think they were actively TTC.

getawaywithit

VIP Member
But like I said, even if she is now at the farm, we have no idea if she went before gov announced existence of tier 4 on 19th December. Because she'd been completely quiet on Instagram between 15th and yesterday.
Okay girl calm down lol, no one is going to arrest her.

• Haha
  • Heart

palmer

Chatty Member
I also have a feeling she's pregnant but won't announce it until the end basically. I reckon she'll have taken tons of pictures in advance to post throughout the later stages of her pregnancy as well (when her bump would be too obvious). She posts almost nothing about her day-to-day life, so it's not like we would ever be able to know if her grid pics were actually old. Even the pics she posts now are often taken weeks before they get posted, so I bet she doesn't think it would raise any suspicions.

In a way, it would make sense for these two to be young parents -- they literally have NOTHING else to be doing. They've been together for years and must be bored out of their minds by now, both individually and as a couple. I wouldn't be surprised if they felt the need to have a baby to find some kind of purpose and direction in their lives. It would certainly occupy them more than whatever they fill their days with currently. I honestly can safely say I've never ever come across anyone who did SO little 😐 She could be doing so damn much. She has all the resources in the world and so much privilege, yet she does NOTHING with it. It's seriously crazy to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18

Bellamerrell

VIP Member
My friend is friends with one of Jess’ old uni mates. She isn’t pregnant according to her. It’s quite easy to speculate but it’s just depression, stress and letting herself go a little, which is understandable.
New account, only ever posted 3 posts all denying the pregnancy ...

• Wow

Marie_10

I think that many people would dream to sit around and read all day. Sounds like my personal dream life to be honest.

• Heart

elsa_1993

Good for her announcing it and taking charge of the rumors.

edit:
I dont think having a child means your life stops. A woman can have a career and a child its not impossible.

lurker419

I absolutely agree that young mothers, like Jess's mother, can still have highly intensive and successful careers. However, this is Jess we're talking about here. Unless she magically transforms into an extremely self-motivated, self-disciplined person completely different from the passive, "I need a whole Monday to plan my week of reading" Jess we've been seeing for the last two years, I think she will have a lot of trouble balancing parenthood and career. Hell, I still remember last vlogtober when a "busy day" for her was going to the gym and getting her nails done. Maybe learning what "busy" means in the context of being a parent will change her perspective for the better, who knows, but for now I'm skeptical as to what direction she plans to take with all this.
Again, nothing wrong with making family first if that's what she wants, but just surprising from Jess specifically.

Reactions: 17

buffyjayne

Chatty Member
I loved her video. No frills and build up just I'm pregnant, I hate that word. Haha she is very down to earth!

Edit to say, I like how she said she is still getting her head around it.

Mr.Mistoffelees

Chatty Member
She's so boring now that we're discussing baby evacuation procedures for two pages. It's such a shame how she's become a shadow of her former self.

• Haha

Marie_10

Although I do think Jess is lazy, I have no problem with her not pursuing some big career. There is so much more to life than labor. She has found a way to earn money with minimal effort, I wish I could do the same.

I think that her not having work ambitions probably played a big role in deciding to keep the baby (assuming that it was not planned).

snarkvark

VIP Member
I agree how problematic out dated opinions on gender roles are..... I also think it's fair to question why someone's partner is on the bank roll of a family member. That's not normal. Getting back to chauffer around your partner's mum, run errands, cook for relatives, etc. is quite strange no? It doesn't matter whether that person is the father or mother. Relying so much on your parnter for your income is scary.

Nova

VIP Member
Judging from what her mother did to her place, I’m assuming the renovation they are doing are not just an extension somewhere and a new tiles in the bathroom. They’re probably working on some huge architectural project.

With Zak, I get the idea he’s simply following Jess and is therefore putting his career second. Like when he was a chef, she may have complained that they never had time together anymore. He really should have finished his degree though. What a shame.

• Heart
I'm really excited for her! I feel like this is the happiest we've seen her since before her mom's diagnosis.

I'm sure her mom will love having the baby around all the time. I mean, isn't that every grandparent's dream? Lol! And while/after dealing with cancer treatment, I'm sure it will be a welcome reprieve for the entire family.

Also, I agree with the comment suggesting she see a therapist. I think there's a lot of shaming surrounding people who are financially well off seeing a therapist in a "oh how can you have problems, you have everything!" sort of way. I don't agree with that at all and I feel like I see that a lot on these forums. Depression/anxiety or whatever other mental illness does not discriminate just because you have a cushy bank account.

Mr.Mistoffelees

Chatty Member
I was so confused when she said she takes the weekends off to rest. Rest from what, her action-packed week, full-time job, long hours?

Her September books video reminded me of how glad I am to have found some booktubers who actually take the time to process books and have their own thoughts as opposed to reading reviews off Goodreads and censoring your real feelings in order to appear 'woke'.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

palmer

Chatty Member
I remember Jess saying years ago that she doesn't respond to comments as she can't respond to them all so would rather respond to none as it's fair... But I really think she has time to. I know it's petty but I do find it a bit snobby when youtubers don't reply to any comments at all
Yeah and it sounds like a really stupid, half-assed excuse. Not every comment even warrants a response to the same degree. The comments that ask questions should be answered in priority, while comments that just say "cool vlog!" obviously don't necessarily need to be replied to as much. She doesn't even bother 'liking' the comments (which literally takes two nanoseconds). And let's be honest, it's not like she has high traffic and a ton of comments to go through. She doesn't get many at all.

She already shares so little of her life with her audience (we basically don't know anything at all), so if she doesn't even bother to interact with her viewers via comments about the content she does put out...then what's the point? Thought the whole point of Youtube is that creators get to connect directly with their audience and exchange thoughts/views/opinions -- otherwise, if we wanted a strictly one-way thing, we would just watch TV.

i have only started watching Jess this year because of her book videos. Not being familiar with her previous content, her lifestyle and privilege that comes through currently is insane. The dining table that her Mum bought them for Christmas was at LEAST 3,000 pounds (she links it in the video) I also really struggle when she spent a whole day on Monday 'planning' but then come Tuesday she took the morning off to read because she wasn't feeling great and didn't have anything planned anyway. It makes me cringe. I hope she is okay.
It's funny, she stopped doing haul videos and 'what i got for my birthday' videos because she thought they were flaunting her privilege too much. But in my opinion, vlogs where she spends 100% of her time at home doing nothing are MUCH worse in terms of showing off privilege. The material stuff is one thing, but the lifestyle is on a completely different level IMO. If you buy yourself or get gifted a ton of expensive stuff BUT work hard at the same time, I frankly don't mind as much (you can do what you want with your money as long as you're not a dick about it). On the other hand, if you are so privileged you don't even need to work a day in your life and can afford to turn 'reading books in bed' into your full-time occupation, THAT bothers me a lot more as a viewer and it shows a LOT more privilege. The fact that she seems so oblivious to it (re constant comments about how tired she feels, etc) makes it a lot worse as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16