Sunbeamsjess

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Again, I just don't think she has it in her to make it as an academic. It's a tough market, and some of my friends with PhDs who are the most driven people who have started businesses at uni and been president of loads of clubs and societies are turning away from academia because it's just too hard to make it. Jess never does anything but her academics-I can't imagine her speaking at conferences or doing much extra stuff alongside her PhD, which is what gets you the job at the end of it.

Reactions: 5
I think it's clear now that she is just going to spend her life taking courses, reading and working on home interiors/having a family in the future. I think her perceived depression/laziness maybe comes from a sense of guilt or general anxiety around the fact that her parents and step-dad are career driven to the extreme. I have felt similar feelings with my own parents who want me to have a big career like my dad, but I know deep down that I don't have the ambition for it.

Reactions: 10
I must say, I enjoyed watching Jess back in the day, but I never saw her as an academic. She's smart, but as someone who spent a long time in academia (and in Edinburgh), she has nothing on the academics I've worked alongside. And this sounds arrogant, but I see myself as more intelligent and academic than Jess, but I know I don't have what it takes to do a PhD, and after working with PhD students, I honestly don't think I'd want to.

I've seen brilliant, hell, geniuses, drop out of their PhD programmes, especially in the literature department, and no matter how much support I gave them in my job there, I couldn't get them over those hurdles. It takes a lot out of you and it requires a lot of determination and self-motivation. Then again, I've also seen pretty dumb-ass, not so intellectual people achieve their PhDs because they didn't really care and didn't cave in to the pressures. It's a world of extremes, but it takes a lot of passion and enthusiasm.

All of us who studied Masters love studying and miss it, but most of us have to accept that, from seeing ourselves against the true academics, that we weren't built for the pipe dream of working on a PhD. I saw a lot when working at a university, and I learned from that experience what real academics were - I was kidding myself if I thought I was that standard, and I'm afraid I kind of think Jess is as well, which is probably why she's looking into starting again at a lower level in a new degree field.

I'd be very surprised if she actually did her Maths and Sciences A levels. I think that Jess loves the idea of studying and being an academic person, but I don't think that she has what it takes to be one, at least not in maths and sciences. She really did not seem driven and passionate for her Masters, and she was studying literature, her biggest passion.

I also think that this could have something to do with Indie. Maybe seeing her sister studying maths and sciences is making her think that this is what she should have done all along, or that she could do it too. Otherwise it seems like such a random idea, at 26.

Reactions: 4
i think she just loves the student life and is desperate to get back into it. she was not so motivated during her masters as it was in london and she was at home, and she's especially not motivated now, being ''stuck'' at home not doing anything.. i think if she was to do further education it would be in edinburgh or somewhere else. and i'd love that just for the sake of videos :D

Reactions: 1
But she doesn't realise that if she does her A levels in sciences, she won't be actually 'attending school' like the actual kids do. She will be at home, studying on her own. I think she really wants to replicate her life at school/uni but this will never happen. She is 26 - she will never be taken as part of 'the classroom' anymore. I think this was her biggest disappointment doing her masters. She didn't realise that doing masters is quite solitary and involves people from all backgrounds (people fresh from BA/BSc, people with actual careers taking time off for MA and older people with interst in the field). Hence, not really friendly and 'friends making' environment.

Reactions: 7
Thing with Jess is, if she was actually consistent, stuck to a YouTube schedule, did one fashion video and one book video and even a vlog, she’s get more subscribers and she may feel more fulfilled, at the moment her content has just stagnated, she doesn’t really have any purpose, where as most other people I know who’s parent are mega rich, they went and worked for charities etc just to force them to do something, it’s a shame she hasn’t done something similar as she actually feels passionate. She should also start engaging with her followers more, she has the time now, she doesn’t edit her videos so it would just replace that

Reactions: 4
Again, I just don't think she has it in her to make it as an academic. It's a tough market, and some of my friends with PhDs who are the most driven people who have started businesses at uni and been president of loads of clubs and societies are turning away from academia because it's just too hard to make it. Jess never does anything but her academics-I can't imagine her speaking at conferences or doing much extra stuff alongside her PhD, which is what gets you the job at the end of it.
Jess would NEVER make it in academia lol. She could be the smartest person ever but she doesn't have the drive or work ethic to be in that field (or any field for that matter). I remember back when one of her most highly requested videos was a ring collection and she took forever to film it because she had a "cool idea for how she wanted to edit it" then realized it took too much work and ended up just making a sit down video showing her rings. She has no drive to put hard work into anything, I still don't understand why people think she's a hard worker? She's one of the laziest Youtubers out there and that's saying a lot since most of them are as lazy as they come.

Reactions: 16
So the most interesting thing that happened to her week was getting her nails done and she didn't even film it? 🙄 She should just quit, honestly, or do reading vlogs or something since it's now the most popular format on booktube it appears.

• Haha
  • Sad
I can't imagine having her wardrobe and not knowing what to wear. It really must be a universal feeling that has nothing to do with what you actually have lol. I really liked her new nails. The shorter length suits her a bit better I think.

I appreciate her comment about having designated family time in the evenings. When my mum had breast cancer we also spent every evening enjoying family time watching movies etc, you gravitate towards eachother more. I also understand family stuff happening "behind the scenes" like she said causing her not to vlog during the weekend.

Also I'm not keen on speculating but this is the first time I actually thought she could be pregnant. Or it could just be a thick hoodie. Who knows.

lkjflksfjl.png

lkjflksfjl2.png

I don't think there's anything wrong with her going back to study science at 26, honestly being older can help (having the maturity to self study makes learning A-level/uni stuff much easier) + it's not as if she's going to do anything else with her life in the next couple of years. Having said that, it will take time + dedication, I think she likes the image of herself as a true intellectual (woman of the arts and science), but doesn't realize just how much of a grind (+ competitive) it will be. I follow this girl who dropped out of her biophysics PhD on youtube (Tibbies), the reality is that most PhD's aren't as romantic as they seem..

Reactions: 3
Makes me laugh that she thinks she reads a lot, I’ve read more than her and I work full time in a very stressful profession 😂 she does nothing all day and I’ve still read more

Reactions: 3
I thought it was nice to see Jess try in that vlog. I guess whoever reps her agency wise has passed on the feedback from here? It seemed like a struggle for her, but it was good she was trying to be productive and get around her mental blocks.

The only time she really "lit up" was when she was talking about books, which was quite sweet.

I used to watch Jess years ago in like 2016 but haven’t really watched her for the past 3 years. This year I have been in the mood to watch cosy October vlogs and have gone onto her playlist to find hers. I’ve watched all of them lol and it is SO apparent when you watch them all kind of back to back (over a few weeks lol) that they just go more and more downhill every year. I will say though that even in her 2015 vlogtobers she mentions having a nap in EVERY vlog. She says how tired she is and then the next clip will be “so guys, just woke up from a liddle nap” and I love her vids in this era even though most of them are only like 6 mins long but it is very concerning how she’s been constantly tired and needing naps for years! I never ever nap so I find it so odd

Reactions: 7
She always talks about what she will do/is doing/has done but she actually never shows. It's so irritating. Videos are visual medium, I think she's forgotten that.

Reactions: 15
I’ve started to watch a girl called Nayna Florence on YouTube and she’s studying economics at Edinburgh uni and her blogs fell like the OG Jess content but even more chilled and relaxing.

Reactions: 6
i wonder what happened with mimi and that beautiful cat, we don't see them anymore :(

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.