Sunbeamsjess #3 Too busy to come up with a thread name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was strange how she almost said that she needed to do vlogmas because she has the baby and the house and responsibilities. I don't know if this is pressure coming from family but seems odd to me. She also said she doesn't want Ines to associate Christmas with her being very busy. She is in the wrong line of work if that is an issue. The likes of Alix from I covet thee literally only worked in the run up to Christmas this year.
She was like it’s hard being a mum in the pandemic as my income was cut? Ummm no, you had plenty of ads but it’s because you’re self employed and don’t get the same sort of pay as employed women! She said she enjoyed doing vlogmas but she only enjoyed the AD sense!!! Like she’s so transparent

Reactions: 15
She stepped into the self-pity spiral and doesn’t want to get out of it. It’s almost 2022, if she’s sad or even depressed she can talk about it normally even without saying too much about her life, she’s an influencer after all! She chose this life. It’s like she’s ashamed to admit it, it’s hard to get her off the pedastal, I suppose. Also to consider the fact she’s privileged shouldn’t be this hard if she’s a bit smart.

Reactions: 11
Also saying she doesn’t want innes to associate her being busy at Christmas, what a privileged position she finds herself in, spare a thought for those who work over Christmas and don’t have a choice and have to miss Christmas due to work….. honestly every time she opens her mouth the mask slips a bit more and more

Reactions: 30
Do you guys think she'll move all her book videos to her Patreon? If that's the case, I, and many other people I'm sure, will stop watching her channel because there'll be nothing left to see apart from some depressing, cringely edited quasi vlogs.

I have a feeling her poor, naive Patreon supporters will pay $5+ for a millionaire to complain about how tired she is from doing nothing lol.

Reactions: 21
It's frustrating because there are some very obvious things she could do to grow her channel (and her income) that she just isn't doing, but she jumps directly to starting a Patreon. Posting a video every day for a month isn't going to make much of a difference if it's just the same boring crap every day.

She could spend ten minutes a day replying to comments and it would probably have more of an impact than the whole month of vlogmas. Or she could say hey vlogs aren't working great for me, let me try a different style of video. You don't even have to be creative, just copy any other booktubers themed video about books, or make some classic YouTube trope videos (GRWM, WIEIAD, routines, etc). Or she could make the renovation pay for itself if she wanted.

I just get mad watching people like waste their success because they won't try the most obvious things.

Reactions: 21
Do you guys think she'll move all her book videos to her Patreon? If that's the case, I, and many other people I'm sure, will stop watching her channel because there'll be nothing left to see apart from some depressing, cringely edited quasi vlogs.

I have a feeling her poor, naive Patreon supporters will pay $5+ for a millionaire to complain about how tired she is from doing nothing lol.
I don't know if she would think to even do that but it wouldn't surprise me if someone mentioned that and she decided to do that. Her reviews are very lackluster as of late, like why would anyone want to pay money for her to ramble about the plot of the book rather than state why she liked or didn't like the book other than vague reasoning. Again too, none of her stuff would be uploaded monthly, like you can't do a monthly wrapup 3 months after the fact people are paying you to get extra content you don't put elsewhere. It's not gonna go well at all.

Reactions: 5
I don't know if she would think to even do that but it wouldn't surprise me if someone mentioned that and she decided to do that. Her reviews are very lackluster as of late, like why would anyone want to pay money for her to ramble about the plot of the book rather than state why she liked or didn't like the book other than vague reasoning. Again too, none of her stuff would be uploaded monthly, like you can't do a monthly wrapup 3 months after the fact people are paying you to get extra content you don't put elsewhere. It's not gonna go well at all.
She mentioned that she's going through with her Patreon plan in the latest Vlogmas. 🥴

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
There’s another youtuber i watch called Ariel Bissett who also bought an old house. But she’s been renovating it herself and filming the whole process and has a video series and it’s so interesting and fun to watch and it just shows how much potential house videos would have for Jess too, especially since hers is so beautiful. Idk when she bought it i was so excited for renovation videos and then… nothing

She has no motivation or drive to go through with this though 😅

Reactions: 2
I mean Indie is what, 18? I think she's probably just not super keen to be on camera now knowing that she's going to be going to university and other people might see her in the videos.
Yeah, and I know that's totally possible, too. It was just weird that Jess even put the clip in at all. Maybe it was just because "they keep asking for you" but if she knew Indie didn't want to be on camera, she could have either just done the timelapse of Indie wrapping, or else just mentioned with Indie off-camera that Indie had helped her wrap the gifts.

Reactions: 2
Ariel Bissett's renovation series is what Jess should have done from the beginning.

She could have easily made tens of videos about meeting her architect, creating the layout, showing the 3D results, showing her inspiration, buying the furniture, etc

She could have a full YouTube series which would have lasted for years. But no, she ought to sit in her mother's house more than 2 years after buying her own.

Reactions: 13
She was like it’s hard being a mum in the pandemic as my income was cut? Ummm no, you had plenty of ads but it’s because you’re self employed and don’t get the same sort of pay as employed women! She said she enjoyed doing vlogmas but she only enjoyed the AD sense!!! Like she’s so transparent
Did she really say that?? Wow she's incredibly out of touch....

Reactions: 6
She also said she doesn't want Ines to associate Christmas with her being very busy.
🤦‍♀️ This prompts my unsubscribing/not watching her anymore after seeing her through her gap year, Edi, her masters, the house and pregnancy. Words fail me. Grow up, girl. Parents work. Your mum worked. Santa didn’t actually squeeze down the chimney with his magic powers and leave thousands of pounds worth of designer goods - YOUR MUM WORKED FOR IT. God I hope she has someone in her life to sit her down and shake her. I was miserable, tired and terrified after uni, but we just have to grow up and get our head out of the clouds (or books).

Why is she so afraid of life when she has everything at her disposal? It could not be any easier for her and she still can’t manage it.

Reactions: 27
Honestly, I'm imagining part of this desire to not have Ines see her as busy stems FROM her mum constantly being busy. Maybe Jess resented that growing up and is trying to do the opposite for her child. Not saying it's okay or that it's even probable to expect to not do anything, but am putting it out there as an possible explanation.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Usually privileged people who've read as many books as her don't have such a ridiculous attitude. I'm beginning to think she's only really read fantasy. Or she lacks empathy in a profound way

Usually privileged people who've read as many books as her don't have such a ridiculous attitude. I'm beginning to think she's only really read fantasy. Or she lacks empathy in a profound way
I completely agree, such a delusion for a girl who wanted to get a PhD or even pursue an acting career before that! I had wondered why she didn’t even try to write something of her own, she didn’t even talk about that at all

Reactions: 3
I do feel like she only really enjoys fantasy. She'll read other books, especially ones that are popular or on issues she "should" read about, but always critiques them for random things and seems to take nothing from them to apply to her own life.

Honestly, I'm imagining part of this desire to not have Ines see her as busy stems FROM her mum constantly being busy. Maybe Jess resented that growing up and is trying to do the opposite for her child. Not saying it's okay or that it's even probable to expect to not do anything, but am putting it out there as an possible explanation.
I do think that's a valid point, but what's she busy with? Literally just Christmas shopping and gift wrapping - all very normal things to be "busy" with at the holidays. I think it's an excuse to justify her being lazy and/or depressed rather than admitting that it's not normal to feel overwhelmed by Christmas to the extent that she does.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I've noticed that the more money and privilege youtubers have, the less they share about their house buying and renos. Mostly dyi'ers share their journey because it is #relatable. I think privileged people like Jess (and e.g. Amelia) do not want to share because of the backlash they would get. Everything is done for them by architects, project managers, builders, designers, gardeneres etc. And on top of that, these people are not just 'normal' architects or 'normal' builders, they are the top of the top in London so even more unrelatable for their audience.

I watch House & Garden youtube channel and they often share houses and house renos of very privileged people. It's nice to watch as a designer channel, but it does comes across so delusional when they all talk about working on a budget and sourcing stuff from flea markets (what they mean is auction houses). They give diy tips like source your own second hand (but still expensive!) sofa from a vintage shop, buy your own fabric (from a Chelsea fabric store!) and then have it reupholstered. Because this is cheaper than buying new, apparently. But to a normal human, this option is absolutely out of the question. Reupholstering alone is so expensive in the UK so Ikea or Dunelm it is.

Reactions: 8
i haven't really posted in her thread before but i've watched her on and off for years, Christ shes dull now. I get having a baby is life changing but wheres her creativity gone? her personality?

I've noticed that the more money and privilege youtubers have, the less they share about their house buying and renos. Mostly dyi'ers share their journey because it is #relatable. I think privileged people like Jess (and e.g. Amelia) do not want to share because of the backlash they would get. Everything is done for them by architects, project managers, builders, designers, gardeneres etc. And on top of that, these people are not just 'normal' architects or 'normal' builders, they are the top of the top in London so even more unrelatable for their audience.

I watch House & Garden youtube channel and they often share houses and house renos of very privileged people. It's nice to watch as a designer channel, but it does comes across so delusional when they all talk about working on a budget and sourcing stuff from flea markets (what they mean is auction houses). They give diy tips like source your own second hand (but still expensive!) sofa from a vintage shop, buy your own fabric (from a Chelsea fabric store!) and then have it reupholstered. Because this is cheaper than buying new, apparently. But to a normal human, this option is absolutely out of the question. Reupholstering alone is so expensive in the UK so Ikea or Dunelm it is.
Spot on, but 90% of her (remaining, sycophantic) youtube audience wouldn't realise how expensive this style is. To most, an Hermes Avalon throw in a modern apartment/house is a greater signifier of wealth than an expert renovation with antiques. Lots of people would think it's funky/old and looks affordable. Same concept as Jess' $3000 shabby patchwork coats - she loves to dress like she comes from the opposite side of the culture.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.