Sunbeamsjess #3 Too busy to come up with a thread name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t understand the presumption that her mum feels guilty, she might very well feel the opposite - she’s given her kids a life of literal luxury, they will never have to worry about money for the rest of their days and they have endless opportunities available to them.

If she felt guilt I’m sure there’s other ways she could make up for it rather than to encourage her eldest daughter to become a lazy slob that contributes nothing to the world.

Reactions: 7
From a parent perspective there's probably an easy way to spin it too, even if she does feel guilty/embarrassed that Jess didn't go down a traditional career path - ie. My daughter has built an online career from her university halls, a community of almost 500k people, brand partner with X Y and Z, is a "journalist" for The Sunday Times etc etc... Maybe her Mum genuinely thinks it's a viable business.

Reactions: 8
Helen’s career was only possibly through farming Jessie off to childminders. She probably feels guilty about that, hence all the gifts and the lax attitude to work.
If there was ill thought there then I’m not sure Jessie would have employed a childminder for her own child despite having a far more lenient work schedule.

I think Jessie struggles with her health more than she otherwise shares and that has a large part to play. That’s obviously something which we wouldn’t understand (and we have no rights to know that info if she doesn’t want to share it!) but people close to her would which might explain what we see to be more leniency than usual from her family. I think it was a big step for her to mention PMDD in a blog some time a go as she had years before in her uni vlogs mentioned how she struggles with hormone-related health, shame she quickly followed that with not wanting to follow it through to access diagnosis and treatment (it’s not like she’ll be on the year-long NHS waiting lists).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
If I had a kid my ultimate dream for them would be to be free of this capitalist hellhole, so as much as it bothers me that Jess doesn’t seem to be aware of how much she exists outside of and yet still benefits from capitalism, … I can’t really blame her or her mother for continuing to live her life that way. I don’t have any problems with how Jess makes her money, I only have a problem with how little she seems to recognize her privilege and how little solidarity she has. Asking for money for patreon from her followers who are probably 99.9% significantly less well off than her? Disgusting. Posting her items on vinted for her followers to buy? Obscene.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
SkyTV sponsored Jess to go to the House of the Dragon premiere? how low can their standards get lol. and what’s with the crappy audio in the reel? I could barely hear her mumbling

Reactions: 1
There are other ways to make up for being an absent parent due to work though. I don't even mind the lavish gifts she got. If you have the money and want to indulge your kids, that's your choice. I would buy nice things for my children too if I could afford it but I wouldn't let them be lazy slobs either. If she's rich enough not to work, then do something and be consistent with it. If she struggles with it mentally, she's privileged enough to get the best help for it too.

Like someone else here said, the things she does is not questioned because her parents are rich. At the moment, she and Zack are unemployed slobs with a surprise baby that still lives with her parents. If she's from a lower income background, people would comment on it for sure.

Reactions: 12
If I had a kid my ultimate dream for them would be to be free of this capitalist hellhole, so as much as it bothers me that Jess doesn’t seem to be aware of how much she exists outside of and yet still benefits from capitalism, … I can’t really blame her or her mother for continuing to live her life that way. I don’t have any problems with how Jess makes her money, I only have a problem with how little she seems to recognize her privilege and how little solidarity she has. Asking for money for patreon from her followers who are probably 99.9% significantly less well off than her? Disgusting. Posting her items on vinted for her followers to buy? Obscene.
Agree with this, although will say I don't care if a rich person is on Patreon. I feel that a large share of content creators who sell things like merch and Patreon access are already wealthy. My issue with her Patreon is explicitly that she is flaky/unreliable and in that sense duping the people who fund her. If a rich person is reliably creating content for Patreon and people want to opt into purchasing that and get what they pay for, no issue for me

Reactions: 6
Agree with this, although will say I don't care if a rich person is on Patreon. I feel that a large share of content creators who sell things like merch and Patreon access are already wealthy. My issue with her Patreon is explicitly that she is flaky/unreliable and in that sense duping the people who fund her. If a rich person is reliably creating content for Patreon and people want to opt into purchasing that and get what they pay for, no issue for me
I kind of agree, the way i see it I have two types of patreons I will subscribe to, one explicitly for content and one to “support.” I have a few Patreons I subscribe to just because I want to support the person, they don’t really post additional content but they are doing something I really agree with. She definitely needs to be the former kind, and we all know she won’t be. So she will be converting all her patreons into “support” patreons whether they want to be or not.

I personally would not be comfortable being someone with generational wealth on patreon, but I recognize that not everyone feels that way.

Reactions: 5
If I had a kid my ultimate dream for them would be to be free of this capitalist hellhole, so as much as it bothers me that Jess doesn’t seem to be aware of how much she exists outside of and yet still benefits from capitalism
Spot on. We all have to work within capitalism whether we like it or not. If you have to work for a soulless corporation then that's fine. Just make sure you're doing something good with the money.

The reason I find her patreon a bit icky (and why I'm guessing others do as well) is because I've always seen it as a way to directly support creators who could not otherwise be able to afford to create those videos. (It's also why I'm always a tiny bit suspect of creators who have a patreon, but continue to have ads on their videos and ALSO have sponsorships but then I don't know how much income they need to keep afloat and maybe they need the multiple revenue streams.)

That, and because we know she's not doing any more than the minimum. She's taken a hobby that she was doing for free, started making money off of it, doesn't need the money and now wants us to fund it directly instead of indirectly.

Reactions: 9
If I had a kid my ultimate dream for them would be to be free of this capitalist hellhole, so as much as it bothers me that Jess doesn’t seem to be aware of how much she exists outside of and yet still benefits from capitalism, …
I disagree with this, she might not be a part of the capitalist rat race that most of us have to be to make a living, but she’s funding it (probably a lot more than any of us are) which helps it to continue.

I don’t think she exists “outside of it” given that she contributes to it continuing. The way this is phrased makes it sound like she’s got no responsibility for her actions in this respect

Reactions: 13
People are acting like YouTube doesn’t pay big big money. She has all the tools to build a big, successful YouTube channel; she’s pretty, she lives in London in a beautiful house, she has the money to invest in hauls and do look books (and a photographer partner). Her new house could have been a massive opportunity for her to gain views and subscribers. House renovations are huge atm, especially turning a run down property into a beautiful London townhouse. But let’s be real, not only is she too lazy to do regular house updates, she’s also doing literally none of the work herself and probably doesn’t want to show that she’s paying architects and contractors to do literally everything. Zack ripped a few bits of wallpaper down and knocked a wall down when they first bought it, but that’s it.

She could be earning hundreds of thousands a year from a successful YouTube channel, not a few hundred a month like she’ll average from Patreon, but she’s too lazy and stupid to pull it off despite having literally all the tools.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
The thing about the Patreon that annoys me the most is her going on about "building community" when she never ever responds to comments or anything. If she really wanted a community with her followers, she could have been building that for free.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I disagree with this, she might not be a part of the capitalist rat race that most of us have to be to make a living, but she’s funding it (probably a lot more than any of us are) which helps it to continue.

I don’t think she exists “outside of it” given that she contributes to it continuing. The way this is phrased makes it sound like she’s got no responsibility for her actions in this respect
Oh yeah no she 100% benefits and participates, I was saying she “exists outside of it” for her own needs, but I didn’t phrase it well. She has no need of the rat race because she’s in the ruling class. She gets the privileges of capitalism without the struggles, which… is just inherent to capitalism.

Does she not have a manager to prompt her to do more with her content?
I think managers for youtubers are more for negotiating brand deals and going over those contracts. they’re probably hands off about the actual content

Reactions: 5
I think managers for youtubers are more for negotiating brand deals and going over those contracts. they’re probably hands off about the actual content
Most YouTubers who started when she did, have teams around them, she hired Zak and he doesn’t do more work, she would be better off now having some admin person helping her do that and did she said she was hiring and editor? Did that work out?

Most YouTubers who started when she did, have teams around them, she hired Zak and he doesn’t do more work, she would be better off now having some admin person helping her do that and did she said she was hiring and editor? Did that work out?
IDK if I'm making this up since I quickly skimmed through some vlogs to find the exact source of this, but if I'm remembering correctly she had mentioned she had some hang-ups about a potential editor seeing the entire recording and her private moments with her family.

Since I just skimmed through some vlogs, anyone else notice her jaw is crooked? Now it's all I can look at when she speaks.

Reactions: 3
I guess I meant more like someone who would prompt her to put out more content that she could monetize, not someone to monitor the quality. But I guess she does exclusively post ads, even when she posts once every 2 months, so the manager is probably not financially hurting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.