Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

hdavidthrow

So I see she’s got 106 patrons already, giving her about £600 a month.

It really grates on me that she’s said “I don’t know why I didn’t think of making a space like this for us sooner”. She doesn’t even reply to her fucking YouTube comments. If she genuinely wanted to interact with her viewers, that’s the place she would start. Clearly she will only interact with her viewers if they are directly paying her to do so (completely ignoring the fact that her viewers watching her videos actually indirectly pays her anyway through AdSense and any sponsorship she gets off the back of her popularity, and comments on her videos help her engagement).
I remember listening to her on a podcast back when I first found her channel and she said that she does not read or even look at her comments at all, like as a policy. It was presented as a way to protect her mental health, which is fine, but don’t pretend to ask questions in your video and “engage” in a way that suggests you have a community. Plenty of YouTubers make videos and don’t pretend they’re going to engage.

My element of curiosity about her wealth is like… how does that work, logistically 😂 like we know her parents’ wealth allowed her to get to this point, but like… does she genuinely now make THIS much money from being a midsized influencer, or is her mom literally just handing her money as like a nearly 30 year old. No judgment if so, I’ve just never understood how having rich parents actually works lmao.

Reactions: 15

Elyezabeth

Chatty Member
It’s still early days but yes overall I agree which is also part of what pisses me off because that is a life changing amount of money for a normal person but absolute pennies to her, so why take that money when she could support other creators instead. Boost book clubs of people who will never get the kind of brand deals and ish she gets. On the other hand, if she wanted to create a community that was more “dedicated” to do zooms and stuff she could have made her patreon universally $1/mo. But no she did neither of these.
I totally agree, especially with how she's phrasing things like "support my little family" rather than just being like "I'm doing work so I want to get paid for it." Wanting to get paid for doing work is valid (if absolutely tasteless from someone THAT rich), but acting like a starving artist to prompt subscriptions is scummy.

Lola123

VIP Member
It was strange how she almost said that she needed to do vlogmas because she has the baby and the house and responsibilities. I don't know if this is pressure coming from family but seems odd to me. She also said she doesn't want Ines to associate Christmas with her being very busy. She is in the wrong line of work if that is an issue. The likes of Alix from I covet thee literally only worked in the run up to Christmas this year.
She was like it’s hard being a mum in the pandemic as my income was cut? Ummm no, you had plenty of ads but it’s because you’re self employed and don’t get the same sort of pay as employed women! She said she enjoyed doing vlogmas but she only enjoyed the AD sense!!! Like she’s so transparent

sheleg

VIP Member
From my knowledge of rich people (I met quite a few at uni) who get rich through work like Jessie's mum (as opposed to inherited wealth), Helen probably feels a lot of residual guilt for spending so much time working when Jess was growing up. This leads to a certain amount of leniency and indulgence.

sheleg

VIP Member
Jess will be fine. If there’s one thing about the super-rich, they make sure their offspring aren’t going to suffer financially.

sheleg

VIP Member
Her book videos fucking piss me off. I wish I had all the time in the world to read so many damn books.

palmer

Chatty Member
Have they been paying a mortgage on a house they can’t live in for over two years?
She started talking about buying a house / looking at houses in January 2019 and I think they found the one around May 2019. So it's actually going to be THREE years soon and they are obviously no where NEAR the end of renovations. Funny bc when she bought it she said they want to live in this house for at least 10 years but at this rate it's going to be 10 years UNTIL THEY MOVE INTO THE HOUSE! Ines will be in primary school by the time they get there. Ridiculous.

• Haha

Rosie2019

I agree that she should not pretend to be sustainable as she clearly lives a life of excess, but I do think it is completely reasonable for her to advertise vegan products because you don't have to have to be actually vegan to prefer vegan makeup. The fact that vegan makeup is a green washing trend that influencers are making money out of is a whole other issue.

sheleg

VIP Member
Yes but big American corporate law firms make huge amounts of profit, much of which is shared out between partners. It might not be fair but that’s life and the way the world works.
We need a global revolution.

• Haha

Rosie2019

Influencers think their whole day is super busy with work because they can monetize their whole day. A normal person would consider some of the stuff they do as a treat rather than work. Also they get overwhelmed with admin because they think a couple of hours of emails day is a lot, but It isn't for most people that run online businesses.

Chocolate2008

VIP Member
It's clear that she's someone who just wants an easy, low-pressure life.
I agree! I wish at this point she’d just own that and start posting some luxury rather than just complaining to the camera in her sickly sweet falsetto and breathy laughing. I would be fully on board with watching a channel dedicated to beauty treatments, luxury fashion, shoes, 5 star resorts and expensive homeware.

This obsession with ‘going out to shoot’ and spending forever editing is so pointless when each vlog is tied together by moaning about the same things. I don’t really care to know if she only gets 10 minutes to choose her £2000 outfit… just show us the goods 😂

• Heart

lurker419

Jess’s entire life is a teenager’s summer vacation. Can’t believe she’s flying off for the summer instead of focusing on getting as much work done on the house as she can - surely the renovation work would basically come to a pause if she’s not there? unless she’s hired someone to make the decisions for her, which I doubt because otherwise they would’ve made a lot more progress already?

On a side note I wonder why her mother sold her house. A shame because the interior design in her previous one was gorgeous

ECH

VIP Member
I mean Indie is what, 18? I think she's probably just not super keen to be on camera now knowing that she's going to be going to university and other people might see her in the videos.

sheleg

VIP Member
I unsubscribe to her when she said she agreed that JK Rowling was “problematic”. It would surprise me if she hadn’t read JK’s very measured essay, so it’s clearly a case of woke bandwagon-jumping.

• Sick

newaccount2022

Chatty Member
I don't think she's going to make enough money off of this for it to be worth it to her super wealthy self to actually do it for the income.
I agree and made a similar comment earlier. A few thousand pound a month is pocket change for her.

I think people are finding the situation so jarring because she’s framed it as ‘her little way of keeping her new little family afloat’ and as if she IS doing it for the income. She’s conveying a message that she’s a hard working young mum creating content day and night for us subscribers and she’ll bank the money to buy clothes for her baby and pay the electric bill. There are unfortunately still a LOT of gullible people online who blindly follow creators and do things like buy ridiculously overpriced merch. 4 to 12 quid a month (or whatever she’s charging) might not seem much in the grand scheme of things but it’s extortionate considering what you’re paying for.

I will also say right now with absolute certainty that the current level of content on Patreon will not last, making the price even more stupid. The discord messages will become fewer and fewer, there will be a late post, a missed Zoom… I’m giving her a generous 4 months before she disappears.

Reactions: 14