Styled By Susie #3 Silence by Susie, Patreon fail, she'll write it all up in the Daily Mail

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't understand! You made crappy business decisions and your customers didn't like them. You need to suck it up and move on. The fact she's dragging it out, refusing to take responsibility and creating a drama is so baffling. Put all this effort into bettering your company.

Reactions: 11
I am new to this, was never on FB and only followed on Insta...

Just came to say that “legally verified statement“ probably only means that she showed it her solicitor.
It doesn’t mean much and solicitors only sound threatening as this is their job, it is not slander to criticize someone.

Reactions: 3
What has actually happened? When did this start?
I just noticed that S was v quiet on Insta, then posted this statement today and I was confuse. So I googled and found you.

Is the argument because of FB?
I agree that criticism should be allowed - no growth without feedback - but how did it get so bad?
She spoke of world domination and now she is at war with her client?

i had considered buying an online analysis but was concerned it would just be info from Pinterest and now I am glad I didn’t buy anything

Reactions: 5
What has actually happened? When did this start?
I just noticed that S was v quiet on Insta, then posted this statement today and I was confuse. So I googled and found you.

Is the argument because of FB?
I agree that criticism should be allowed - no growth without feedback - but how did it get so bad?
She spoke of world domination and now she is at war with her client?

i had considered buying an online analysis but was concerned it would just be info from Pinterest and now I am glad I didn’t buy anything
It began when a member on the SBS Sisterhood posted a picture of a before and after haircut based on the advice from her hair analysis. Some other members commented that they preferred her hair before. This upset the member and others so they complained to admin. So one of the team wrote a post of what happened and telling us all to be kind. Since that event the following has happened. • • Threads set up on here and others
• Susie started asking members for reviews on trust pilot
• Susie told members that trolls are posting pictures of members on these forums and poking fun at them (lies)
• Susie claiming she has screenshots (never proved) and had worked tirelessly with her team to get the posts removed (lies)
• Susie decided because of people posting screenshots on these forums she is taking down the Facebook group and moving to patreon for a monthly fee to members, so she can protect them
• Fee includes a monthly payment to cyber smile a online anti bullying charity
• Negative reviews started flooding trust pilot
• Members soon realised that they were not the only ones to be treated unfairly
• More members joined these forums to discuss their experiences
• SBS asked trust pilot for more information from anonymous negative reviews
• Questionable 5* reviews start being posted including her male hairdresser who Susie has never styled as she’s made it clear she does not style men.
• With the information received from trust pilot, members are claiming to have received letters from Susie threatening legal action if they don’t remove their review.
• Susie claims this to be a lie and only two members received letters that had multiple aliases on the forums
Somethings that happened in between
• One of her best stylists left to set up on their own
• She is working with Steph from Main Hustle School who is believed to be responsible for some of Susie’s decisions
• Susie had a long break from posting on social media
• Sales dropped
I’ve probably missed a few things. I’m sure other members will fill the gaps.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Thank you so much, MaxiDuckling! Such a great summary

It seems to defeat the objective of asking for feedback when this feedback must be positive.... Not my definition of „ be kind„

Susie was so active on Insta before and I found it strange that she doesn’t post anymore, but I guess all this is affecting her. She seems to thrive on praise and seems less able to deal with constructive feedback that is critical of her services or approach.
She seemed to have missed an opportunity to listen and engage, instead she blocked comments and people - never a good idea.
The threat of the legal letters will just put people off - who wants to engage with someone who sends threatening letters to customer?

She ist too entangled in her business, even had the logo tattooed. A strong mentor could help her now, or maybe it is too late and her busines will shrink. This seems to be the most likely scenario, especially because of the recession.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Reactions: 7
I’ve been wondering about whether this deleting and heavy moderation should actually be regulated by ASA like ads and affiliates. No idea how it could be managed or if it’s even possible, but essentially it’s false advertising isn’t it? Deleting reviews, closing comments, rejecting posts etc.

Given SBS and Frenchic have both had their bubbles burst recently it makes you wonder how many more businesses run by social media operate in this way. It feels like something that may need exposing on a bigger scale than just these two.

Reactions: 17
She has a tattoo of her business logo? Really?!
She did build an estimable business, and a huge following around it. I am sure she does care, and the whole approachable persona wasn't completely fake. I can get the tattoo (which she is has shown many times).
I could even understand the sneaking a few "gifts" from brands as recommendation, and kind of understand the discutable logic behind banning negative complaints - I don't agree, but I can see the reasoning.

It all went horribly wrong when someone convinced her to cash on her followers, tried to charge the groopies for the new platform, shut the FB group to all but a few admin accessing all that resource. With the current pandemic, the near-impossibility to do personal shops, it was a horrible time to shot yourself in the foot especially if you really are the financial support of the family.

I have looked at several similar FB groups since, still free, and really, all that did was giving away all your followers to your competitors! Emily is one, and she did nothing wrong. Others stylists, not directly related, have taken the plunge and seem to do quite well out of it, they are sold out, SBS is not!

It's text book what NOT to do when you are about your business.

Reactions: 15
Emily has now got her own fb group- spotted that it says it was set up a year ago which i thought odd unless its from before she joined sbs and shes brought it out of hibernation and renamed it

Reactions: 4
I now spent some time reading in the 3 threads and decided to not use SBS and to not follow her anymore.

This is for different reasons:
- the bizarre legal stuff and the censorship
- the hypocritical writing for the Daily Fail, when she previously wrote an open letter to them criticizing them (and they haven’t changed) and when she was so heartbroken by Croline Flack who was treated unkindly by the some newspaper(and others)
- fast fashion is unethical and she doesn’t address these problems
- styling is not psychotherapy and clothes can add confidence but not self-worth and I think she got this confused
- PDFs instead of personal analysis and recommendation - I can use Pinterest for free

I still don’t understand why she doesn’t post on IG anymore but agree the personal and business life got too muddled up and she probably regrets that now

Reactions: 14
What is Emily's group called please?

SBS is much like a company I saw implode last year called go West with Mickey. Censoring and hiding negativity or any hint of an unhappy customer.
They did scam people out of a lot money though which is even worse than what SBS has done and they are being investigated but the go west with mickey fb page etc was heavily moderated and anyone that spoke out was threatened with legal action so most stayed silent until someone brave decided to go up against them and it all came tumbling out!

That seems the theme with many of these companies that run pages on Facebook they can hide and get away with so much as you can only see what they allow you to see!

I really think there needs to be some sort of ombudsman for something like this though as its becoming more frequent

Reactions: 2
Oh Susie did it go a bit too quiet for you?

Hmmph... better give them something new to talk about 🙄

Emily has now got her own fb group- spotted that it says it was set up a year ago which i thought odd unless its from before she joined sbs and shes brought it out of hibernation and renamed it
I think you are spot on - Emily had started up on her own before being taken on by SBS and I think her business and FB page had been sitting dormant for a while.

Reactions: 3
I now spent some time reading in the 3 threads and decided to not use SBS and to not follow her anymore.

This is for different reasons:
- the bizarre legal stuff and the censorship
- the hypocritical writing for the Daily Fail, when she previously wrote an open letter to them criticizing them (and they haven’t changed) and when she was so heartbroken by Croline Flack who was treated unkindly by the some newspaper(and others)
- fast fashion is unethical and she doesn’t address these problems
- styling is not psychotherapy and clothes can add confidence but not self-worth and I think she got this confused
- PDFs instead of personal analysis and recommendation - I can use Pinterest for free

I still don’t understand why she doesn’t post on IG anymore but agree the personal and business life got too muddled up and she probably regrets that now
The fast fashion thing is such a great point that I think has been massively overlooked. Encouraging cheap seasonal spends at H&M, Primark etc isn’t exactly forward thinking in terms of the business’s ethical standpoint. I’m not saying don’t shop there (I use a lot of them myself still), but it really would be nice to see more in the way of salvaging, upcycling and charity fashion shopping.

Reactions: 2
I think you should have 4 semi luxe items you should be able to convert into many different ways,
The classic boyfriend shirt, blazer , simple black slip dress and a good pair of jeans . You can then mix and match different items to suit the season and fashion trend of the moment. Spend the most on these items and you will wear for years .

I don’t understand what you mean by this comment.
I think it is just odd going from lots of posts to nothing
The threads went quiet for a couple of days.. that is when susie chose to address MN on the rumours etc ... now we are talking about her again

Reactions: 5
Ah ok. But she posted daily when I started following her back in Jan. Now nothing.

I understand that she posted these statements and the legal stuff etc, but nothing personal anymore.
Maybe she is depresse?

I think you should have 4 semi luxe items you should be able to convert into many different ways,
The classic boyfriend shirt, blazer , simple black slip dress and a good pair of jeans . You can then mix and match different items to suit the season and fashion trend of the moment. Spend the most on these items and you will wear for years .
Great advice! Are you charging by the word or the month? You should set up as style guru 😃

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.