Styled By Susie #3 Silence by Susie, Patreon fail, she'll write it all up in the Daily Mail

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New here but I’ve been reading the threads for a while and was a member of the SBS fb group but never bought an analysis.

Isn’t the “updated” analysis actually just desperation to get some business from existing clients because she has basically alienated thousands of potential customers by removing them and closing down the group?

Most of those people will have gone elsewhere and taken their business elsewhere whether it be through people buying gift cards or an analysis so with little engagement from her insta or fb pages as far as I can see and get apparent refusal to do ads - where is her business going to come from?

Reactions: 3
So my maths...

She said she donated £540.

She also said they had 700 members sign up.

SBS income including the VAT is £6 x 700 = £4,200

£540/£4,200 = ~£0.129

So in respect of each person joining she has donated less than 13p.

The £540 also represents 40% of profits so 540/40% = £1,350 profit(post fees etc)

Unless of course less people signed up.

Does my maths look right?

Reactions: 4
New here but I’ve been reading the threads for a while and was a member of the SBS fb group but never bought an analysis.

Isn’t the “updated” analysis actually just desperation to get some business from existing clients because she has basically alienated thousands of potential customers by removing them and closing down the group?

Most of those people will have gone elsewhere and taken their business elsewhere whether it be through people buying gift cards or an analysis so with little engagement from her insta or fb pages as far as I can see and get apparent refusal to do ads - where is her business going to come from?
Exactly this...not as many customers now as she's got no FB page to advertise...now wanting to charge someone £28 for what it literally a copy and paste job...if people fall for that then bloody hell, more money than sense.

I can’t believe that about the back tracking on the donations! That’s so shady and underhand! She definitely made it sound like 40% of the £6 a month would be for charity. Wow.

Reactions: 8
I can’t believe that about the back tracking on the donations! That’s so shady and underhand! She definitely made it sound like 40% of the £6 a month would be for charity. Wow.
Particulary as some people were made to feel bad that they thought £6 was steep and were told it was so high because of the charity donation!

If my calculation above is correct then it is steep, and it has sweet fa to do with the 13p charity donation!

Reactions: 5
They got feedback that £6 was a lot for people for not much content. So now they're charging £28 to resend old (sometimes incorrect) analsyis' with nicer formatting?
WHAT. Have they learned absolutely nothing?

So my maths...

£540/£4,200 = ~£0.129

The £540 also represents 40% of profits so 540/40% = £1,350 profit(post fees etc)

Isn't the donation per person just £540/700 = 77p?
(This is 13% of £6 so I can see where you got confused :))

Reactions: 1
So my maths...

£540/£4,200 = ~£0.129

No.

0,13 (your donation per member) x 700 (signed up members) = 91.

She donated 77 pence per member:
0,77 x 700 = 540 (which she says had been donated)

Reactions: 2
Isn't the donation per person just £540/700 = 77p?
(This is 13% of £6 so I can see where you got confused :))
No.

0,13 (your donation per member) x 700 (signed up members) = 91.

She donated 77 pence per member:
0,77 x 700 = 540 (which she says had been donated)
Ah yes! Agree with you both! Did this far too early in the morning :LOL:

Still not the 40% of £6 that I think a lot of people assumed it was!

Ah yes! Agree with you both! Did this far too early in the morning :LOL:

Still not the 40% of £6 that I think a lot of people assumed it was!
Yes, it appears to be misleadin.

Still, if she makes 1000 GBP per month compared to nothing with the FB group then she is 12K up per year.
Unless the FB group generated this much through free advertising

Still, if she makes 1000 GBP per month compared to nothing with the FB group then she is 12K up per year.
I would say the Facebook group was the largest thing in terms of bringing people to their services, you only have to look online at the amount of posts they do to try and invite people to buy, they never had to do that before and all services were always sold out and again they aren't anymore. Sbs will blame it on the threads instead of looking at where they have gone wrong!!

I would say the Facebook group was the largest thing in terms of bringing people to their services, you only have to look online at the amount of posts they do to try and invite people to buy, they never had to do that before and all services were always sold out and again they aren't anymore. Sbs will blame it on the threads instead of looking at where they have gone wrong!!
Well, regardless of who she blames the resuk for her will be the same.

To some extend her market might also be saturated - how often do you need an analysis? Not very often. Same applies to online shops.

Her target market are women wanting to get out of a rut and aiming to increase their confidence, not executives or people needing online shops often for work or events.

She also appeals to a local market more, as her personal style doesn’t say “London” or “international“.

In addition, the pandemic has impacted spending power and the need / reason for new outfits.

Well, regardless of who she blames the resuk for her will be the same.

To some extend her market might also be saturated - how often do you need an analysis? Not very often. Same applies to online shops.

Her target market are women wanting to get out of a rut and aiming to increase their confidence, not executives or people needing online shops often for work or events.

She also appeals to a local market more, as her personal style doesn’t say “London” or “international“.

In addition, the pandemic has impacted spending power and the need / reason for new outfits.
There’s still a lot of women on the new group asking for stylist recs and wanting their colours done. I agree it’s a saturated market but it’s not finished yet, and by closing the FB group she has removed those that still were wanting an analysis and would have given her that bit longer as a business

She’s annoyed a lot of people who now won’t consider her services and by closing her fb group she forced her old group members to create a new group in which other stylists can poach those who were once her potential clients. None of this is our fault susie!

And I agree about her target market. As a “professional” (who can’t do maths :LOL:) I would never choose her services as what I would want from a stylist is current workwear that is fairly high quality and suits me. Not fads or inappropriate garments.

Reactions: 7
It’s interesting you say about the professional target market - I found SBS via a fellow London professional mum recommending her. That was a good few years back, and I wonder if as the page grew, it became a little more down market than Susie wanted to be associated with.

Although positioned as inclusive, you do need your customers to have a certain level of disposable income if you want them to come back for wardrobe updates / online or personal shops each season.

I think that is probably how it used to be when it was smaller, and perhaps that is what she is trying to get back to with charging for patreon. Weeding out the can’t pay - and the won’t pay types.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is the only possible reason I can come up with that would make some kind of business sense... whether it’s good business sense remains to be seen. It was a huge risk, and she has definitely lost so many with the customer service experience.

Reactions: 6
I just had that impression that her style just seems very young and playful and I couldn’t wear what she is wearing to work.

I also find it a bit dated.

It might well be that she is looking to focus on paying customers only. There is only so much free advice and content that you can give out.

Yes, and apparently MHS was not only one of the 25 but then also one of the final 5. Some of the women who were involved in the group and even at the event have commented on the SA thread and said some less than positive things about a few of the "chosen ones".

Sarah Akwisombe. Sorry, don't know how to link it directly.

This doesn't match with what she already said, or am I being dense? I thought it was £6 per month and 40% of that (£2.40) was for charity. From what she's said here, it's £5 per month (not £6), then there's an unnamed fee, then another unnamed fee, and then 40% is given to charity out of WHAT IS LEFT (i.e. not from the original round amount). These two things are VERY different.
Yes, the 5 extra special ones 🙄 were said to be rude. Also I think mhs mentioned this on her post thanking them for sticking with her despite of her being a witch or something on her first call with SA?! Why would you trust this person with your business?! Mad!

Oh also seen the AIBU mumsnetter is back with another thread. Didn't she have one about Susie? It's hilarious as it is saying the same thing (using Mrs Hinch as the example this time) but no one is agreeing with her! She keeps creating the same threads and mentioning Caroline Flack again. Why does she keep on doing it?! If people didn't agree with her the first time they are not going to the third time just because it is worded slightly differently?!

Last edited:

No it was because people on here and MN called her out for the shoddy look of the analysis, the piss poor quality images that she ripped from Google and the fact she was recommending discontinued and dated make up - IMO 😑

Her sales seem to have dropped. SBS would sell out of services and that was with Emily on board, now you can purchase anytime with one stylist down. Patreon may generate that revenue, wouldn’t necessarily mean SBS is up per year.

Her sales seem to have dropped. SBS would sell out of services and that was with Emily on board, now you can purchase anytime with one stylist down. Patreon may generate that revenue, wouldn’t necessarily mean SBS is up per year.
Yes, it depends on whether they miss out on new business from the Facebook group.

If a customer spends 50 pounds they would need 20 customers to make these 1000 pounds.

Overall, I think that the subscription is not a bad business idea as they only need to produce content once and reach every custome, so it is very efficient. They just need to produce content that is good enough to keep a large base of subscribers paying.

It was probably a recommendation from her business advisor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.