Strictly Come Dancing 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Oti said something similar about partnering Danny Mac - something like she had them working so hard that she didn't really leave any time for them to get to know each other properly and bond on that level, and that was something she learnt from. I guess when a pro has a ringer for the first time, they can get carried away with what they can achieve with them
Then you have Layton & Nikita who pushed to the absolute edge of their abilities it seemed and who bonded about as much as I’ve ever seen bar those shagging each other 🤪

I think it shows though, work with your celeb. Understand what they want out of it. Especially those with families or who are still working while on the show. They have to prioritise but they can still learn & do well within their limits. Layton wanted to go all out, Nikita worked that out early on & you got the impression there was a lot of respectful communication going on between them constantly.

I do think they need to be more careful with mental health. Amanda clearly had a lot going on & maybe it just wasn’t wise to sign her up. Or if she was insistent, pick a pro who we all know will be gentle if needed. Gio just isn’t, the bosses know that..

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I agree and I think that needs to be looked at bigtime, the expectation all around about participation.
I can't remember was it here or Digital Spy I was reading about what used to be the case, as regards training, when it first started, versus now. No comparison, basically.

I guess most people go in wanting to give it their best shot, and feeling that they don't want to let themselves or their pro partner down. But toenails hanging off and bruised feet and whatever else, that's too much. Theres a happy medium, imo, and nobody's health should be at risk, whether it's because they are driving themselves or are being driven too hard.

Also, the BBC for example, could look at when an Eastenders actor is in it. Bobby was nicely written out, but previous actors and actresses had to keep both sides going. That's just one example btw. One that they could surely have some influence on.
The thing is, the use Strictly as cross pollination and adverting for other BBC shows. Generally, especially with Eastenders the person roped in for Strictly has a big storyline coming up … Christmas … which is being filmed at the start of Strictly. They get to tell Claudia how many Christmas dinners they have learnt to jive on, we get VT’s of training in Albert Square, Shirley gets to huff that really they need to be more committed to training and then the storyline is finished, they can give more time and it’s all good*, people who watch them in Eastenders will have watched Strictly to see how they get on. People who took to them in Strictly will watch the Eastenders Christmas special to see them eating one of the Christmas dinners. See also Holby City and Casualty. Generally speaking the BBC employees are on no or very reduced normal duties from about 4 weeks in for their ‘journey’ to kick in.

(I think Bobby was excused Eastenders boots because there was a tacit understanding that he more than likely couldn’t cope)

(*unless you are Scott Maslen who has faded away to nothing by this point)

Reactions: 7
I am also warming to Neil - I would like to see him with a partner but NOT at the expense of Gorka again.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Exactly!! It's coming across as so dismissive and I'll say it, misogynistic.

Edited for spelling!!
I am not much of an Amanda fan, and I think it may well be a 50/50 'two people being arseholes' thing or Gio just not recognising that he needed to be more sympathetic to her because he was desperate to make up for last year. But what has shocked me has been the cult-like response. Not an iota of doubt or openness to the possibility he made mistakes. If the BBC are supporting him, fine, I'm prepared to say that maybe he didn't do anything wrong (and I say that through gritted teeth as a FR hater!). I'm a Vito lover but if in 3 years time his last 2 partners have had visibly poor experiences with him I would definitely agree that he may need to be spoken to.

But this??!

Attachments

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I am not much of an Amanda fan, and I think it may well be a 50/50 'two people being arseholes' thing or Gio just not recognising that he needed to be more sympathetic to her because he was desperate to make up for last year. But what has shocked me has been the cult-like response. Not an iota of doubt or openness to the possibility he made mistakes. If the BBC are supporting him, fine, I'm prepared to say that maybe he didn't do anything wrong (and I say that through gritted teeth as a FR hater!). I'm a Vito lover but if in 3 years time his last 2 partners have had visibly poor experiences with him I would definitely agree that he may need to be spoken to.

But this??!
Insane. Christ people just love to drag a women. Especially women.

Reactions: 10
Pair Gio up with a totally no-nonsense old woman who won't take any of his rubbish. How about Kim Woodburn? Watch him squirm.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Katya sent Nigel home early because she appreciated he needed family time so is able to adapt to her partner.
Karen has taken a lot of flak for being so uninvested - I don’t think anyone would say she pushed Eddie to his limits this year.
Erin was given the nickname ‘Miss Whiplash’ but she couldn’t have been more supportive and kind to the extremely nervy Julian.
The mark of a good pro teacher is knowing when to push and when to draw back. Gio has the pushing bit, but just doesn’t seem to have the draw back bit mastered.
So I probably would have agreed completely that he pushed too hard until this week ironically. When all the articles came out I did a deep dive on past interviews because what was being written about past partnerships doesn't match what I remember. There are articles and video clips of Faye Debbie Ranvir Rose and Michelle saying he pushed them and was a perfectionist but that they are glad he did or that he was right to or that they couldn't believe what they were actually capable of when they started believing in themselves.

I'm not really here to defend him because I've given out plenty about him before and I don't really care for his behaviour since he won. The only reason I've posted is because I just don't understand why people are hypocritical in their comments about him.

Oti is held up on a pedestal but she tied Bill to a backboard and trained every night until well after 9 or 10. As someone said above she admitted she went too hard on Danny Mac. She and Kelvin don't communicate on socials because of what went down between them and he also spoke about a big training room fall out. Ugo ended up with back surgery within a month and Jamie broke a bone before week 1!

Karen's excused for a half hearted season with Eddie but Gios the worst for the same with Richie? And it's confusing in itself to say he pushes all his partners too hard while also saying he couldn't really be bothered.

Katya (of the affair scandal) is a saint because she sent Nigel home every night but Gio doesn't care even though Ranvir left earlier every day because she was a single parent?

For whatever reason, or lots of reasons, Gio irritates many and they don't like him. Me too most of the time. But it's just ridiculous to have these blatant double standards and to excuse one pros bad behaviour because they're someone that's liked and pile on another because they're not.

Also the BBC have to back him because he was their employee at the time and legally if they go against them it's equivalent to admitting they were lacking in their duty of care to the celebs too.

Reactions: 5
Wonder if the BBC released the footage to Amanda? Legally they have to, exceptions are few and far between.
I have worked with people in the public eye not from a PR perspective, but worked alongside press etc (not in the entertainment world) - so I’m finding this whole Amanda/Gio press interesting and very poorly handled by the BBC.
If I were strictly press - I would have straight away done a statement
1 - acknowledging a request had been made to view the tapes
2 - No formal complaint had been made (as far as I’m aware Amanda hasn’t formally complained). If a formal complaint is made the BBCs complaints procedure will be followed.
3 - Reiterated the wellbeing stuff about strictly.
The Strictly team seemed slow to respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Speaking of dreams / nightmares, Coleen Nolan is desperate to do Strictly, maybe she could be Gio’s swan song….
I heard her moaning yesterday that well strictly is hard, but I did it on ice, backwards, upside down, DID I MENTION IT WAS ON ICE? :m :sick:

• Haha
So I probably would have agreed completely that he pushed too hard until this week ironically. When all the articles came out I did a deep dive on past interviews because what was being written about past partnerships doesn't match what I remember. There are articles and video clips of Faye Debbie Ranvir Rose and Michelle saying he pushed them and was a perfectionist but that they are glad he did or that he was right to or that they couldn't believe what they were actually capable of when they started believing in themselves.

I'm not really here to defend him because I've given out plenty about him before and I don't really care for his behaviour since he won. The only reason I've posted is because I just don't understand why people are hypocritical in their comments about him.

Oti is held up on a pedestal but she tied Bill to a backboard and trained every night until well after 9 or 10. As someone said above she admitted she went too hard on Danny Mac. She and Kelvin don't communicate on socials because of what went down between them and he also spoke about a big training room fall out. Ugo ended up with back surgery within a month and Jamie broke a bone before week 1!

Karen's excused for a half hearted season with Eddie but Gios the worst for the same with Richie? And it's confusing in itself to say he pushes all his partners too hard while also saying he couldn't really be bothered.

Also the BBC have to back him because he was their employee at the time and legally if they go against them it's equivalent to admitting they were lacking in their duty of care to the celebs too.
It was Gio's attitude to Richie that annoyed people, primarily. If anything, Karen seemed almost too keen to just chill with Eddie and have a laugh.

New and superior Carbonara Boys just dropped

Attachments

• Heart
I think if Coleen Nolan did it I’d give that year a miss, unless she went out the first week.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Amanda seems to be enjoying herself with Graz based on his story on Insta, which is good to see.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It was Gio's attitude to Richie that annoyed people, primarily. If anything, Karen seemed almost too keen to just chill with Eddie and have a laugh.

New and superior Carbonara Boys just dropped
It annoyed me too. That whole year did. I thought he'd leave that year because he seemed checked out even in the build up to the show.

Reactions: 7
I doubt Oti & Kelvin were ever going to stay in touch - they seemed to forge a good working relationship and clearly she was happy to have a good dancer who was popular enough to give her a win (after #DannyWozRobbed) but I doubt someone like Oti would actively want to be friends with someone who has Kelvin's views. They are also quite different personalities, the partners she seemed most fond of on a personal level are Graeme & Bill, I think they were more her cup of tea than Kelvin ever was.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.