Strictly Come Dancing 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm on the fence as to whether there's romance between Vito & Ellie, but if there is I can understand them maybe not wanting to say anything until the tour is done.

Reactions: 7
I get the feeling Gio is dead to Zoe after how he treated Ritchie but Ritchie got some good radio gigs and fair few tv stints considering he was out so early on - so every cloud and all that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Of course! I sometimes just feel like because Gio is a somewhat unlikeable character, especially in recent years, that people love to hate him and some of the criticism is unjust.
For example, Katya and Karen both have reputations for being very strict but it's excused or seen as a positive about them, yet Gio is hung out to dry over it.
The pros all have to include choreo and lifts that are dangerous or could have the celeb injured like Bobbys Dirty Dancing lift or Ellie's final lift. Others are praised for pushing boundaries and incorporating new types of choreography but Gio is the one who's reckless.
All the celebs complain about their feet and body pains, and their pros don't get grief for it but Gio is seen as uncaring and cruel.
So many pros have had celebs withdraw, or complain about their time on the show and there might be a grumble but they won't have the papers pile on about it.
I totally agree that it looks like he handled the Richie and Amanda partnerships badly. But the papers are rewriting what actually happened with his previous partners and making out like they hated working with him when in reality they had a few tiffs while working intensely together. Bar Laura his previous celebs were very complimentary in the whole but it's being made out that they complained and hated him.
---

Nikita has been very impressive in all three of his very different and challenging partnerships.
Katya sent Nigel home early because she appreciated he needed family time so is able to adapt to her partner.
Karen has taken a lot of flak for being so uninvested - I don’t think anyone would say she pushed Eddie to his limits this year.
Erin was given the nickname ‘Miss Whiplash’ but she couldn’t have been more supportive and kind to the extremely nervy Julian.
The mark of a good pro teacher is knowing when to push and when to draw back. Gio has the pushing bit, but just doesn’t seem to have the draw back bit mastered.
Vito and the choreographers have been roundly and soundly condemned for the excessive lifts.
if a celeb is in so much trouble they are having to be carried in week one, then I don’t care who the pro is … that is just ridiculous.

Gio is a bit like Brendan really in that he is lucky his more problematic partnerships came after one which caught the imagination and garnered lots and lots of super invested fans. Brendan ran on Natasha fumes for years. If he’d had Sarah Manners in his first series it might have been very different. James came at it from the other way and never really recovered viewer wise from calling Georgina fat, not letting her eat Maltzeers and having to miss training sessions while things were sorted out - in his first series. I don’t actually think things are helped these days by the somewhat cultish compulsory happy vibe that seems to have taken over, either. it’s impossible to be chipper and not have a cross word when your toe nails are falling off after a 12 hour day. Show it.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I don't understand why the beeb are backing him so much. Yes he has a travel show coming up but Strictly wise he's only employed from year to year so they can do some damage limitation with Amanda's accusations and simply not renew his contract. It was due anyway (as it is for several others) but now it's overdue.

Gio coming to a panto near you, then I'm a Celeb, Big Brother, Dancing on Ice... Hollyoaks if he's really lucky.

Reactions: 8
I'm on the fence as to whether there's romance between Vito & Ellie, but if there is I can understand them maybe not wanting to say anything until the tour is done.
I don't think there is currently romance, but it's possible they are not sure themselves what their relationship is. Ellie looked a bit uncomfortable when Craig asked the romance question and slightly anxious when Vito started talking. Maybe just had enough of being asked? I'm just glad they're still close.

I suspect Gio will just announce he's not coming back, though the Beryl army, or 'rage nans' (tb @Fillyjonk) may revolt and storm the BBC a la January 6th.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Katya sent Nigel home early because she appreciated he needed family time so is able to adapt to her partner.
Karen has taken a lot of flak for being so uninvested - I don’t think anyone would say she pushed Eddie to his limits this year.
Erin was given the nickname ‘Miss Whiplash’ but she couldn’t have been more supportive and kind to the extremely nervy Julian.
The mark of a good pro teacher is knowing when to push and when to draw back. Gio has the pushing bit, but just doesn’t seem to have the draw back bit mastered.
Vito and the choreographers have been roundly and soundly condemned for the excessive lifts.
if a celeb is in so much trouble they are having to be carried in week one, then I don’t care who the pro is … that is just ridiculous.

Gio is a bit like Brendan really in that he is lucky his more problematic partnerships came after one which caught the imagination and garnered lots and lots of super invested fans. Brendan ran on Natasha fumes for years. If he’d had Sarah Manners in his first series it might have been very different. James came at it from the other way and never really recovered viewer wise from calling Georgina fat, not letting her eat Maltzeers and having to miss training sessions while things were sorted out - in his first series. I don’t actually think things are helped these days by the somewhat cultish compulsory happy vibe that seems to have taken over, either. it’s impossible to be chipper and not have a cross word when your toe nails are falling off after a 12 hour day. Show it.
I think the issue with Gio is the same as the problem was with Brendan and James. It’s all about their ego, they see themselves as the main character. They don’t adapt to the celebrity they push them in an attempt to win the glitter ball. They are all very egotistical and lacking in emotional intelligence and empathy. Brendan was arrogant and bitching at the judges from the 1st episode. He then won which increased his obnoxious cockiness. I have always found Gio arrogant. I think he became so much worse after his win as he clearly considers himself to be superior to the other pros and strictly. James I think is just an obnoxious prick all round.

I think all the pros are super competitive, they wouldn’t have got to the top of their game if they weren’t. The difference with the others is they recognise it’s not all about them and as much as they all want to win they work hard to make it a good experience for the celebrities and get the best out of them. The best dancers often don’t win, it’s the couple that the public most connect with. I think Katya is one of the most popular pros and she has gone far with some duffers as she approaches the competition in the way I think all the pros should.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think Gio will be back for one last series on Strictly he won’t want to leave on a negative - whoever his celeb partner is he going to have been good to them - any hint of a feud etc would possibly be the end of his career.

Reactions: 9
I think Gio will be back for one last series on Strictly he won’t want to leave on a negative - whoever his celeb partner is he going to have been good to them - any hint of a feud etc would possibly be the end of his career.
It would be hilarious if he came back for another series and was benched :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It would be hilarious if he came back for another series and was benched :giggle:
Or someone he finds annoying that the public like and they make it to the final but no chance of winning - 13 weeks, 12 hours a day, of forcing himself to be kind.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I get the feeling Gio is dead to Zoe after how he treated Ritchie but Ritchie got some good radio gigs and fair few tv stints considering he was out so early on - so every cloud and all that.
Yeah Zoe strikes me as a ride or die mate. She basically came as a package deal with Ian Waite on ITT.

Reactions: 12
I would like to see Neil with a partner, next time 😁. Partly because I want to see what Shirley would have to say. He was the chosen one for her demos on ITT. Now maybe that is a producer decision. But I am curious. 😁 I imagine she would be lavishing praise on him, and forgetting the partner.

Reactions: 5
I never understood the Neil hate. I'd love to see him with a celeb partner again, I liked him with Alex Scott.

Reactions: 6
Johannes says in his book that his first season on Strictly SA he pushed his partner so hard it became a miserable experience for them both. He took advice from the other pros and eased off.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Johannes says in his book that his first season on Strictly SA he pushed his partner so hard it became a miserable experience for them both. He took advice from the other pros and eased off.
I think Oti said something similar about partnering Danny Mac - something like she had them working so hard that she didn't really leave any time for them to get to know each other properly and bond on that level, and that was something she learnt from. I guess when a pro has a ringer for the first time, they can get carried away with what they can achieve with them

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I don't understand how it's become acceptable and, not just that, expected for celebrities to be pushed beyond their limits for less than two minutes dancing on a bit of Saturday eve sparkly telly which has largely proven to be a popularity contest anyway.

It's not the Olympics. It's not boot camp. It's supposed to be fun!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I don't think there is. I don't think they would have parted for Christmas so quickly after the final or stayed apart until rehearsals started. She surely fancies him as 95% single girls in their early 20s would.

Reactions: 6
I don't understand how it's become acceptable and, not just that, expected for celebrities to be pushed beyond their limits for less than two minutes dancing on a bit of Saturday eve sparkly telly which has largely proven to be a popularity contest anyway.

It's not the Olympics. It's not boot camp. It's supposed to be fun!
I agree and I think that needs to be looked at bigtime, the expectation all around about participation.
I can't remember was it here or Digital Spy I was reading about what used to be the case, as regards training, when it first started, versus now. No comparison, basically.

I guess most people go in wanting to give it their best shot, and feeling that they don't want to let themselves or their pro partner down. But toenails hanging off and bruised feet and whatever else, that's too much. Theres a happy medium, imo, and nobody's health should be at risk, whether it's because they are driving themselves or are being driven too hard.

Also, the BBC for example, could look at when an Eastenders actor is in it. Bobby was nicely written out, but previous actors and actresses had to keep both sides going. That's just one example btw. One that they could surely have some influence on.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.