Strictly Come Dancing 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just highly doubt that Vito or Nikita would ever have a partnership like this with a celeb. Carlos probably as well. There lies the difference - even if Amanda wasn't the easiest for Gio to work with, fact is that he's not as easy for the celebs to get on with as some of the others either.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It is crazy that she Rose had to be carried around and that nobody around the entire production thought to step in and say she needed rest. But it's no different really to Hamza last year barely being able to walk because of his knees. Or AJ delaying treatment and being pumped with steroids in the hope she could perform. None of these things are ok.
I'm not really into supporting any one pro unconditionally. Their partnerships each year changes my opinion. I liked Vito and Ellie (apart from that ridiculous list) this year, but apart from two dances with Fleur, i thought there was a mismatch in choreo.
I've liked some of Gios partnerships and hated others but overall I think the worst thing that ever happened was him winning the show. He couldn't handle the praise and his ego exploded. TBF most would struggle with the total nonsense that went on over Rose and him winning.
I do think it's a shame because at one stage he was one of the better dancers and choreographers. And contrary to what was said above, before he won, he was much better at working out what the celebs public appeal was and creating dances that matched that.
I also think that he was only given the Rose shaped golden ticket because he had been praised so much for adapting to his partners before.
I'm certainly not defending him, and agree that some of his behaviour has been shady in recent times but I also think there's a witch hunt going on and he's currently being attacked for things that most of the other pros get excused for.
Can you explain what that means? Not being contentious , just don't understand exactly what you mean.

It is crazy that she Rose had to be carried around and that nobody around the entire production thought to step in and say she needed rest. But it's no different really to Hamza last year barely being able to walk because of his knees. Or AJ delaying treatment and being pumped with steroids in the hope she could perform. None of these things are ok.
I'm not really into supporting any one pro unconditionally. Their partnerships each year changes my opinion. I liked Vito and Ellie (apart from that ridiculous list) this year, but apart from two dances with Fleur, i thought there was a mismatch in choreo.
I've liked some of Gios partnerships and hated others but overall I think the worst thing that ever happened was him winning the show. He couldn't handle the praise and his ego exploded. TBF most would struggle with the total nonsense that went on over Rose and him winning.
I do think it's a shame because at one stage he was one of the better dancers and choreographers. And contrary to what was said above, before he won, he was much better at working out what the celebs public appeal was and creating dances that matched that.
I also think that he was only given the Rose shaped golden ticket because he had been praised so much for adapting to his partners before.
I'm certainly not defending him, and agree that some of his behaviour has been shady in recent times but I also think there's a witch hunt going on and he's currently being attacked for things that most of the other pros get excused for.
I loved him with Debbie and Ranvir. He was very good at showing their strengths. His dance to Waitress with Ranvir is one of my faves. Ditto his Addams family with Michelle. Obviously with Faye he was great but she was such a good dancer anyway.

But I will say his attitude has stunk since Rose. And he seems to have forgotten that it’s about the partnership. People bought into Krishnan and Lauren or Annabel and JoJo because of chemistry and the pro’s showcasing of skills. Maybe Vito’s choreo with Fleur wasn’t as good as it was this year (though I think it was better than people say, but he was finding his feet) but they created a real partnership and he absolutely had her back 100%.

Reactions: 7
I still think Gio won't survive this palava. Which is a shame for him and the series. Because if you look back, he's delivered some outstanding dances with his partners.

I'll say this now - the dances Gio cheorgraphed in his first series with Georgia are better than anything Vito has done in 2 series.
I think Gio has choreographed some great numbers - his and fayes Halloween couples choice to Fever is one of my favourite strictly dances of all time! However I think his dances with Richie (who he didn’t seem to put any effort into) were pretty tit. Pros shouldn’t only put in effort with pros they deem worthy trying with, and Gio isn’t the only pro I think has done this.
I do think it will be interesting to see Vito choreograph for a presumably older ‘duffer’ he will inevitably get as reigning champion. I think he’s lovely though and I’m sure he will take the Oti route and create some great dances anyway!

Reactions: 10
I think maybe they were simply ill-matched. They produced some lovely performances, but she did seem quite on edge, and not particularly enjoying herself.

I'm not defending him but there's possibly fault on both sides. She has a difficult home situation, I gather, and maybe that played into whatever happened too. I remember the first night just as they were about to run up to the Clauditorium, I felt that Gio was steeling himself as if - 'here we go, this is the next bit I have to get through'. I posted about it here at the time, so maybe his heart wasn't in it either.

If say Angela S was with Gio, she seemed to be the type who would say nope, I have had enough. But not for anything would I have wished Angela to be with anyone but Carlos. 😁
I think it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other exacerbated by things they couldn’t help.

I don’t think they should have been put together in the first place. I think the Pairing People bought into the Amanda is feisty smokescreen (which considering there are supposed to be psychologists involved could be a bit of a worry) not seeing the fragile personality behind. Gio seems to have one teaching style and only seems to adapt when explicitly told totally at odds with Amanda’s actual personality. I also don’t think you can underestimate the part played by her early rib injury. Christmas Special Sally still couldn’t laugh and/or breathe without pain 3 weeks later and she hadn’t had to do another 3 weeks’ of full on training. To have had an experience she enjoyed, she really needed a Gorka or a Graz.

Reactions: 12
I think it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other exacerbated by things they couldn’t help.

I don’t think they should have been put together in the first place. I think the Pairing People bought into the Amanda is feisty smokescreen (which considering there are supposed to be psychologists involved could be a bit of a worry) not seeing the fragile personality behind. Gio seems to have one teaching style and only seems to adapt when explicitly told totally at odds with Amanda’s actual personality. I also don’t think you can underestimate the part played by her early rib injury. Christmas Special Sally still couldn’t laugh and/or breathe without pain 3 weeks later and she hadn’t had to do another 3 weeks’ of full on training. To have had an experience she enjoyed, she really needed a Gorka or a Graz.
Yes, that was the point I was making.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
For me with Gio as I have said before it isn’t necessarily about just his treatment of some of his partners but since winning and developing a love of double breasted jackets his attitude towards strictly has been that he is above it all.

• Haha
I just highly doubt that Vito or Nikita would ever have a partnership like this with a celeb. Carlos probably as well. There lies the difference - even if Amanda wasn't the easiest for Gio to work with, fact is that he's not as easy for the celebs to get on with as some of the others either.
To be fair to Nikita, we’ve seen how he adapts to the completely different ‘makes’ of celebs he is paired with. He got a little known never danced before signing where the main reaction to her being there was ‘meh, her dad’ to week 10 and then the way he choreographed for Ellie S was impressive all topped off with the way he supported Layton this year. I can’t think of anything they could throw at him that would phase him.

Reactions: 17
For me with Gio as I have said before it isn’t necessarily about just his treatment of some of his partners but since winning and developing a love of double breasted jackets his attitude towards strictly has been that he is above it all.
You rang, ma'am?? Anyone fancy a visit to the mothership?

1704837657107.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I forgot Will Mellor was in the Post Office drama, just started watching it and now I can't take his mardy acting seriously, I keep thinking "Daddy's fine!" 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 13
You rang, ma'am?? Anyone fancy a visit to the mothership?

View attachment 2679040
Oh dear he really doesn’t help himself does he? 😂

For me the ones who always stood head and shoulders above the others when it came to choreography and great partnering were Oti and Katya. A lot of the others don’t seem as innovative as them or don’t seem to bother with partners who they don’t think are contenders. I can only remember the occasional dance from other pros and they are usually with the ringers.

I think there are others who are great working with partners lacking confidence, some who show real potential and ones who I really enjoy watching and would be sad if they left.

I think the ones who I wouldn’t be bothered about leaving are Gio because his ego is bigger than his skills as a pro partner, Dianne who I think is one of the weaker choreographers whose dances are quite similar, Karen who just seems like she can’t be arsed and Nadiya who, whilst I recognise is a good dancer, I just don’t find memorable at all.

I recognise I’m more than slightly biased when it comes to Nikita but I think he is pretty much the male Oti and Katya. As he is the youngest pro I’m excited to see how he will develop further (hopefully sans shirt for a lot of it 🥵)

Reactions: 8
Can you explain what that means? Not being contentious , just don't understand exactly what you mean.
Of course! I sometimes just feel like because Gio is a somewhat unlikeable character, especially in recent years, that people love to hate him and some of the criticism is unjust.
For example, Katya and Karen both have reputations for being very strict but it's excused or seen as a positive about them, yet Gio is hung out to dry over it.
The pros all have to include choreo and lifts that are dangerous or could have the celeb injured like Bobbys Dirty Dancing lift or Ellie's final lift. Others are praised for pushing boundaries and incorporating new types of choreography but Gio is the one who's reckless.
All the celebs complain about their feet and body pains, and their pros don't get grief for it but Gio is seen as uncaring and cruel.
So many pros have had celebs withdraw, or complain about their time on the show and there might be a grumble but they won't have the papers pile on about it.
I totally agree that it looks like he handled the Richie and Amanda partnerships badly. But the papers are rewriting what actually happened with his previous partners and making out like they hated working with him when in reality they had a few tiffs while working intensely together. Bar Laura his previous celebs were very complimentary in the whole but it's being made out that they complained and hated him.
---
To be fair to Nikita, we’ve seen how he adapts to the completely different ‘makes’ of celebs he is paired with. He got a little known never danced before signing where the main reaction to her being there was ‘meh, her dad’ to week 10 and then the way he choreographed for Ellie S was impressive all topped off with the way he supported Layton this year. I can’t think of anything they could throw at him that would phase him.
Nikita has been very impressive in all three of his very different and challenging partnerships.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Was the problem with Laura not that she was pals with Georgia May Foote. Her and Gio split up and then Laura and Gio were paired up on Strictly - cue tension all round.

Think Dancing on Ice had a similar stunt

And I might as well stoke the fire whilst I'm here and point out that when Georgia and Gio got together, she had a boyfriend - another actor on Coronation Street. I remember a story that Katie Durham's husband had to step in during a row with Georgia and the boyfriend.

Now ask me what I had for my tea 😳😳😳

• Haha
BBC are standing behind FR (not too close, he's wearing GPVita after all...).
I presume this will ultimately go away and he'll probably come back for a swansong.

'The feeling is he is a tough taskmaster, but hasn't bullied or abused anyone. The BBC see him as a key face of Strictly and will do all they can to support him.'

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
BBC are standing beside FR (not too close, he's wearing GPVita after all...).
I presume this will ultimately go away and he'll probably come back for a swansong.

'The feeling is he is a tough taskmaster, but hasn't bullied or abused anyone. The BBC see him as a key face of Strictly and will do all they can to support him.'

Hmmmm they are wrong though. They will struggle to get celebrities (and right so) to take part because of this.

Reactions: 3
Well, all drama doesn't seem to have affected Gio's agent's ability to get him booked on shows

1000005709.png

But seriously, the first guest on this show was bloody Stacey Dooley and now Gio - can they stop booking THE most annoying Strictly people pls because I was actually looking forward to watching it at some point. Not doubt it will be Joe Sugg next

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.