Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
BBC Studios have been on a copyright blocking spree of early Strictly videos on YouTube. No more Vorderumba or Quentin Wilson barely able to put one foot in front of the other 😔

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
Annabel and Johannes were on ITT last night. I'm beginning to wonder if she is a potential finalist.

There's a narrative building about her being so underrated, and maybe while the attention is on all of the others, she will be the one who sneaks in and lifts the glitter ball.

@Fillyjonk your post popped up as I was typing mine. 😁 Snap re Annabel.
If she ever ends up in a dance off, I could see the judges saving her over Angela, or Nigel, or Bobby possibly.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I saw someone say on DS that Bobby had to be beaten in the public vote by all but one of those remaining (either Layton or Ellie), i.e. the highest he could have placed on Saturday is fifth with the public. I'm too lazy for the maths, but it seems to work out, though I hope Layton isn't bottom with the public (I doubt Ellie is).

Reactions: 4
A lot of people seem sure nigel is marked to go this week when he was originally a firm favourite for the final.
It got me thinking could we have a completely different final than everyone predicted?
For all we know layton is scraping through every week and he's already zoomed through all of the latin/traditionally faster ballrooms and finds a way to speed the slower ballrooms up rather than do it like everyone else.
With the ones he has left could it spell dance off soon
I'm seeing more and more viewers and comments around not wanting him in the final.

And then you have Angela who seems to have a surprising amount of support avoiding dance offs so far
I don't think Nigel's vote will have slipped down far enough for him to go this week, but I suppose it could hinge on whether the judges give him the 'wow, what comeback!' treatment or not. I think if he makes another noticeable error, or his rumba's just stiff and awkward, he could be in trouble, but I still think he'd probably last at least one more week before he lost enough support to be in the dance off. Then again, if we assume Bobby gets a big spike in votes this week due to the CC, maybe if Nigel's mid-table he could get a bit forgotten about.

I'm really, really hoping Layton won't be in the dance off this week, but it's really hard to imagine who could be very likely to end up below him in the public vote. Annabel seems to have a baffling amount of support. And Layton's far from guaranteed to be first or second on the leaderboard, given he's not as strong in Ballroom. I'm fearing a Layton vs Angela dance-off, but I really hope not, I want her to get further than Bobby and Annabel. I don't particularly want a Layton vs Nigel dance-off either, even though I'm no longer as enthusiastic about Nigel making the final, because Layton would definitely get tons of hate for taking Nigel out.

I don't think anyone but Ellie is likely to beat Layton in a dance-off and I can't see her ever ending up there, but I'm still a bit worried this week. We just don't know yet if his Ballroom technique will be good enough to keep him safe. I don't think their dance order has been very advantageous. I think they should have gotten at least one more Ballroom out of the way while there were still soft targets left. I worry they're at risk of being a shock boot this week, ala Aston vs Mollie.

It's very hard to predict the leaderboard though, my guesses for last week were pretty far off. I was expecting Booby at the bottom and Nigel 2nd or 3rd, then they each performed better/worse than expected. A lot could come down to how Bobby's CC is received. I actually didn't mean to type Booby that time, but I'm leaving it, lol.

Ideally, I'm hoping that Angela has enough goodwill from her Argentine Tango breakout for her to survive a slightly dodgy but fun Cha Cha, and that Annabel will slip down far enough in the votes to land in the bottom two.

Reactions: 5
It's definitely viewer manipulation and 100% not his fault that he's being pushed to use loss to get votes. However, I don't see why everyone has to support him. I don't like his dancing or his partnership and I'm not taken by his personality, so I won't be.
The whole show is basically viewer manipulation; its a reality tv show; he's not the first for Strictly to do this for and certainly won't be the last.

I never said people had to support him or vote for him; all I said (for the umpteenth time ) was that I personally hope people wouldn't take it out on him if he shows emotion if he has been placed in that position by the producers or even if he chose to do a CC dedicated to his family including his mum.

I don't think Nigel's vote will have slipped down far enough for him to go this week, but I suppose it could hinge on whether the judges give him the 'wow, what comeback!' treatment or not. I think if he makes another noticeable error, or his rumba's just stiff and awkward, he could be in trouble, but I still think he'd probably last at least one more week before he lost enough support to be in the dance off. Then again, if we assume Bobby gets a big spike in votes this week due to the CC, maybe if Nigel's mid-table he could get a bit forgotten about.

I'm really, really hoping Layton won't be in the dance off this week, but it's really hard to imagine who could be very likely to end up below him in the public vote. Annabel seems to have a baffling amount of support. And Layton's far from guaranteed to be first or second on the leaderboard, given he's not as strong in Ballroom. I'm fearing a Layton vs Angela dance-off, but I really hope not, I want her to get further than Bobby and Annabel. I don't particularly want a Layton vs Nigel dance-off either, even though I'm no longer as enthusiastic about Nigel making the final, because Layton would definitely get tons of hate for taking Nigel out.

I don't think anyone but Ellie is likely to beat Layton in a dance-off and I can't see her ever ending up there, but I'm still a bit worried this week. We just don't know yet if his Ballroom technique will be good enough to keep him safe. I don't think their dance order has been very advantageous. I think they should have gotten at least one more Ballroom out of the way while there were still soft targets left. I worry they're at risk of being a shock boot this week, ala Aston vs Mollie.

It's very hard to predict the leaderboard though, my guesses for last week were pretty far off. I was expecting Booby at the bottom and Nigel 2nd or 3rd, then they each performed better/worse than expected. A lot could come down to how Bobby's CC is received. I actually didn't mean to type Booby that time, but I'm leaving it, lol.

Ideally, I'm hoping that Angela has enough goodwill from her Argentine Tango breakout for her to survive a slightly dodgy but fun Cha Cha, and that Annabel will slip down far enough in the votes to land in the bottom two.
I think Nigel is the vote hoover this year … but it’s just about the worst week to get a rhumba. It’s just a normal week with no theming to hide behind or a second dance to take the heat off. However good it hopefully is, I can’t see it being the first rhumba to breach the 40 barrier or be anything other than middish table. How the others stack up around it and how many tied scores there are is going to be the deciders, I think.

Reactions: 9
The whole show is basically viewer manipulation; its a reality tv show; he's not the first for Strictly to do this for and certainly won't be the last.

I never said people had to support him or vote for him; all I said (for the umpteenth time ) was that I personally hope people wouldn't take it out on him if he shows emotion if he has been placed in that position by the producers or even if he chose to do a CC dedicated to his family including his mum.
Well, exactly - if this was the first instance of viewer manipulation, people wouldn't be getting fed up with it or calling it out when it's blatant (like this one unfortunately is!)

I don't think anybody will take it out on him if he shows emotion. But I also hope people are allowed to criticise the dance or say they didn't like it, or even call out its manipulative nature without being called heartless.

Reactions: 12
A lot of people seem sure nigel is marked to go this week when he was originally a firm favourite for the final.
It got me thinking could we have a completely different final than everyone predicted?
For all we know layton is scraping through every week and he's already zoomed through all of the latin/traditionally faster ballrooms and finds a way to speed the slower ballrooms up rather than do it like everyone else.
With the ones he has left could it spell dance off soon
I'm seeing more and more viewers and comments around not wanting him in the final.

And then you have Angela who seems to have a surprising amount of support avoiding dance offs so far
I don't see Nigel going at all. Rumba can be good for the man even if he just stands there while the lady gyrates around him (didn't hurt Adam). Katya will pull out all the stops Saturday, plus he has a loyal fanbase of Woobie Nigel fans.

What the hell is woobie? People on DS throw the word around a lot and I have no idea.

Well, exactly - if this was the first instance of viewer manipulation, people wouldn't be getting up with it or calling it out when it's blatant (like this one unfortunately is!)

I don't think anybody will take it out on him if he shows emotion. But I also hope people are allowed to criticise the dance or say they didn't like it, or even call out its manipulative nature without being called heartless.
I would hope people wouldn't take it out him if there is a manipulative nature being placed on him. Critiquing the dance is different thing; then again I can also see people who don't like him or the dance will be the first ones to go spare if he shows any emotion to say he's trying to get votes. Like I said before he's in a cant win position from this coming from different angles so he just go out and enjoy himself the best he can.

Reactions: 6
I think Nigel is the vote hoover this year … but it’s just about the worst week to get a rhumba. It’s just a normal week with no theming to hide behind or a second dance to take the heat off. However good it hopefully is, I can’t see it being the first rhumba to breach the 40 barrier or be anything other than middish table. How the others stack up around it and how many tied scores there are is going to be the deciders, I think.
I would imagine Nigel will struggle to get good comments from the judges for his rumba - if he makes even the tiniest mistake they'll be all over it and focus on it, or if he does everything perfectly they'll say it was technically good but they didn't see enough chemistry, or it didn't wow them, because as far as I can tell (from limited viewing!) the rumba seems to mostly be about the woman and the man has more of a supporting role. I feel like Nigel sometimes forgets to put personality into his dances and is sometimes visibly concentrating (and I can understand why!) which is likely to work against him even if he gets the footwork right. I really want him to have a week where we wows though, he's had a rough ride so far in terms of the level of nitpicking, and it'd be good for him to do a dance that says (to steal an Anton-ism) "have some of THAT!"

For Bobby, as far as I can tell he wanted to dance to that song because it was his mum's favourite and he thought it'd be nice to include it, and I'm guessing the story of the dance was briefly run by him ("we thought we'd theme it around a mum and son because of why you want to dance to it") but he hasn't emotionally connected to the dance because he hasn't been shown the whole thing yet and doesn't view it as a dance version of his feelings and emotions, just a nice themed dance to a song he loves. I hope he stays that detached from it in a way, because to suddenly have all your repressed emotions thrust upon you publicly would be awful.

• Heart
I would imagine Nigel will struggle to get good comments from the judges for his rumba - if he makes even the tiniest mistake they'll be all over it and focus on it, or if he does everything perfectly they'll say it was technically good but they didn't see enough chemistry, or it didn't wow them, because as far as I can tell (from limited viewing!) the rumba seems to mostly be about the woman and the man has more of a supporting role. I feel like Nigel sometimes forgets to put personality into his dances and is sometimes visibly concentrating (and I can understand why!) which is likely to work against him even if he gets the footwork right. I really want him to have a week where we wows though, he's had a rough ride so far in terms of the level of nitpicking, and it'd be good for him to do a dace that says (to steal an Anton-ism) "have some of THAT!"

For Bobby, as far as I can tell he wanted to dance to that song because it was his mum's favourite and he thought it'd be nice to include it, and I'm guessing the story of the dance was briefly run by him ("we thought we'd theme it around a mum and son because of why you want to dance to it") but he hasn't emotionally connected to the dance because he hasn't been shown the whole thing yet and doesn't view it as a dance version of his feelings and emotions, just a nice themed dance to a song he loves. I hope he stays that detached from it in a way, because to suddenly have all your repressed emotions thrust upon you publicly would be awful.
I think we forget that Tuesday’s ITT is recorded on Monday … so we are watching it thinking they have had 2 days of training … when really they’ve probably only had a meet up with the outside choreographer and gone through the dance with broad brush strokes.

Reactions: 4
I think we forget that Tuesday’s ITT is recorded on Monday … so we are watching it thinking they have had 2 days of training … when really they’ve probably only had a meet up with the outside choreographer and gone through the dance with broad brush strokes.
Oh really?! Bold of you to assume I know enough in the first place to be able to then forget it haha I had no idea! I assumed it was filmed live every day 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I would imagine Nigel will struggle to get good comments from the judges for his rumba - if he makes even the tiniest mistake they'll be all over it and focus on it, or if he does everything perfectly they'll say it was technically good but they didn't see enough chemistry, or it didn't wow them, because as far as I can tell (from limited viewing!) the rumba seems to mostly be about the woman and the man has more of a supporting role. I feel like Nigel sometimes forgets to put personality into his dances and is sometimes visibly concentrating (and I can understand why!) which is likely to work against him even if he gets the footwork right. I really want him to have a week where we wows though, he's had a rough ride so far in terms of the level of nitpicking, and it'd be good for him to do a dance that says (to steal an Anton-ism) "have some of THAT!"

Bib, I do think this is what could end up happening and I don't think he deserves people deriding him if he does.

The CC has become a bit of a manipulation by pulling on the heart strings of the public depending on the severity of the back story. Then the judges feel they cannot mark it down.

Not everybody has a 'really good' sob story and if there isn't a story viewers tend to think that it was 'pathetic'. Bit like our favourite Tom Fletcher which he must have wracked his brain as to what story he would put out there, then came up with the most bizarre dance for his sister.

Why not celebrate something good rather than something sad, or better still let's not dedicate it to anyone, rather just the joy of a 'free' dance that can be judged on the artistic spectacle to a piece of music that the contestant loves. 🤷‍♀️

The CC has become a bit of a manipulation by pulling on the heart strings of the public depending on the severity of the back story. Then the judges feel they cannot mark it down.

Not everybody has a 'really good' sob story and if there isn't a story viewers tend to think that it was 'pathetic'. Bit like our favourite Tom Fletcher which he must have wracked his brain as to what story he would put out there, then came up with the most bizarre dance for his sister.

Why not celebrate something good rather than something sad, or better still let's not dedicate it to anyone, rather just the joy of a 'free' dance that can be judged on the artistic spectacle to a piece of music that the contestant loves. 🤷‍♀️
I'd love that!!! Like these celebrities all have passions and built careers on something so why not have a dance that celebrates their love of acting, sport, theatre, modelling etc.

Reactions: 8
I'd love that!!! Like these celebrities all have passions and built careers on something so why not have a dance that celebrates their love of acting, sport, theatre, modelling etc.
I've always said this. It should be a celebration of their careers and/or other passions. That would be far more uplifting than trying to out sob each other.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.