Strictly Come Dancing 2022 #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thinking about it, Jowita had everything stacked against her winning - a new pro, a celeb that hardly anyone knew and one that seemed unlikely to win due to his size (before anyone jumps on me, I am not sizest at all but when has anyone who is larger than average won or even got to the final - did Lisa Riley get to the final?) So major kudos to Jowita for pulling this off 🙂
Now before I say my thoughts on this I want to make it a clear that I like Jowita so this is nothing against her at all. I think she is a great dancer and seems like a lovely person.

That being said when you break it down I wouldn't say the odds were stacked against her.

First of all I don't think being a new pro has anything to do with it being harder to win, Alijaz and Artem did it. You could make an argument Jowita had it easier being on the bench the year before and being able to watch like an intern from up close also she had a raised platform form winning TGD.

Secondly; I think Hamza not being as well known contestant worked in his favour. We all know the 'surprise' factor has worked out well in recent years. Firstly with Kelvin Fletcher; a surprise replacement contestant who know one gave a second thought to then coming out with that samba week one and the rest is history. Then Bill Bailey the following year who everyone had down as a 'duffer' actually showing he could move and move quite well.

All it takes is one surprise routine to grab people's attention and that was done with the salsa in week 4. (which wasn't choreographed by Jowita nor was his CC but thats neither here or there).

I think him being 'larger' is sort of the same trope as when someone is 'older' people think automatically they wont be able to move well but just like Bill he showed he could.

I've said this before in another post but I look forward to see what she can do in the future with different contestants perhaps where the lifts wont be the main talking point of the dance.

Reactions: 9
Thats why the term 'ringer' was created I believe as you will rarely will get a an actual contestant who actually made a living as a dancer full time but something was needed to be used to describe someone who has had quite a number of years of dance training; someone you can tell has performed as dancer to some degree before.

I reiterate the contestants who studied dancing the longest eg. Danny, Jay and Ashley you could tell watching them they had dance training.
I think with a lot of the stage school peeps, even the ones who didn't become actors have some acting training which is really helpful. Danny, while being no Laurence Olivier (pace Dodger!) was able to sell a routine emotionally. Rose was also good at that.

Helen wasn't really able to, as she's not had acting training.. (and of course some of the untrained ones are able to somehow develop acting skills, or overcome self-consciousness. And some trained actors, like James, don't seem to deliver much emotion! so ignore me.. )

Reactions: 12
It’s been mentioned before that only celebs with actual ballroom/Latin experience can’t enter so that must mean that any other dance knowledge is not necessarily particularly helpful. One article I read, some time ago, only listed Scarlet Moffat and Ray Quinn as they had been ballroom and Latin champions when they were young

• Wow
Reactions: 2
They had Zoe Ball doing some interviews in the Clauditorium with the finalists post final in Jay's year, think they went out online or something. That could be an option to have Rylan do that and then it goes out on YouTube.

Not sure a post final live ITT episode would do that well in ratings.
They did a ‘red button’ post-final interview thing the year Abbey Clancey won. I remember it because it fuelled the ‘Abbey/Aljaz’ affair rumours because when Zoe mentioned Janette Abbey did a huge ‘that witch!’ eye roll 😂

I would love Louis Theroux to do strictly. I’m trying to think of a female celeb who I’d like Gorka paired up with. To be honest Helen is probably the ideal, likeable “journey” no real dance experience. I said before a member of little mix because everyone loves little mix but then that would go down the ringer route probably.

Reactions: 7
All the celebs get a pre-sign up dance test to show they can bust some moves.

That begs the question, how did Tony Jacklin, Anneka Rice and Greg Wise pass that one? :eek:

That begs the question, how did Tony Jacklin, Anneka Rice and Greg Wise pass that one? :eek:
They need a couple of duffers each series to pad out the early eliminations plus these celebs are generally a little bit more recognisable to the audience before they get to know the Hamza's of this world.

Reactions: 6
I knew she was going to be shocking when Anneka Rice couldn't even clap in time on the opening show.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
They did a ‘red button’ post-final interview thing the year Abbey Clancey won. I remember it because it fuelled the ‘Abbey/Aljaz’ affair rumours because when Zoe mentioned Janette Abbey did a huge ‘that witch!’ eye roll 😂
I am sure they did the post-final red button when dear Caroline Flack and Pasha won.

Thought the red button was an ideal way to have a final finale to all those invested in the show, rather than just a here are the winners, bye, kind of ending.

Reactions: 5
I agree. They are clearly on the Internet, so why are they voting as if they live in 1984? Just vote online!
I always do a couple extra phone votes for the final if I have a particular favourite and I think they have a chance, I created an extra account for extra online votes as well but gave Helen 2 phone votes.

My top picks for next year would be Nadine Coyle and Micah Richards - both fun and full of personality. I’d love Dina Asher-Smith to do it as well but I think it would need to be when she retired. Would it be too much to ask to skip the obligatory Eastenders contestant?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have to admit I’ve purchased a ticket to see Jayde back in my blindness days. I wanted to sell it but that proves difficult so might take it for the team and attend, and make some notes 🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 16

I think they always like to get at least 1 staggeringly bad competitor on every few years (poor James Cracknell), just to remind us all how bad it could be if the whole series was 15 absolute raw novices who'd never even done the Macarena before, and that we should be grateful we get some ringers to make the first few weeks have some bearable dances.

(Also, thank you to all who voted for Hamza, a colleague who had a free bet on him at 33/1 now has a wodge of cash for Christmas, which was much needed, to be honest)

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My top picks for next year would be Nadine Coyle and Micah Richards - both fun and full of personality. I’d love Dina Asher-Smith to do it as well but I think it would need to be when she retired. Would it be too much to ask to skip the obligatory Eastenders contestant?
i would love for micah to do it! but i do think it would just be too much of a commitment for him - especially with completely giving up full saturdays.

someone a few threads back said their dream football contestant is roy keane and i think i would pay actual money for that.

Reactions: 8
i would love for micah to do it! but i do think it would just be too much of a commitment for him - especially with completely giving up full saturdays.

someone a few threads back said their dream football contestant is roy keane and i think i would pay actual money for that.
I’d sell everything I own for Roy Keane to do Strictly but there’s more chance of him eloping with Harry Maguire

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Nadine would be fab! I’ve been in her company a few times and my husband has spoken to here a good few times through work and she is really lovely and full of personality as you say.
I’d love Dermot O’Leary to do it or Joanne McNally.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.