Strictly come Dancing 2022 #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not outraged by anything on Strictly, And Hamza is my favourite. I wasn’t interested in Tony at all, I had never heard of him. Having a jaded view of the BBC and other large corporates does not indicate I am outraged. In fact, the only time I have been a bit annoyed was when Jayde was overmarked because she was totally rubbish.
I don't think anyone is saying that corporations never engage in boxticking. But you seemed to be suggesting that Hamza has been wildly overmarked because he's overweight and/or black, when really he has been slightly overmarked because he's popular, just the same as not overweight, not black Will has been. I agree with you that some of Jayde's dances were overmarked, but it's funny you only seem to be annoyed by overmarking when it happens to a contestant that 'ticks a box.'

• Heart
Reactions: 10
There are more black contestant on this years series compared to other years, isn't that right?

If that is the case, it kind of stands to reason that there's a likelihood that there will be a higher number of black contestants progressing throughout the competition then.

And besides, who can argue: the black contestants on average have been the better dancers this year.

While box ticking or tokenism or whatever you want to call it does happen and doesn't help anybody, the competition this year really isn't an example of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I thought it was a bit of a lack lustre show, as if they couldn’t get the energy after the excitement of Blackpool.
I love Fleur she’s positive and upbeat, she looked amazing too. Loved her dance and (hides in corner) liked MardyWill.
Molly is sweet but unforgettable.
Hamza is a darling but he’s stagnated the last few weeks like the spark has gone. Did he peak too soon?
I missed Kim, I didn’t realise how much I enjoyed her dancing.
Helen needs more oomph.
Ellie, though I think she’s been a great contestant, I feel it’s time for her to go.
The judges are all over the place. How can there be such inconsistencies. Shirley, Motsi and Anton most definitely have hipflasks full of gin in with those paddles.
I miss Tony, the show’s quite flat without him.

Reactions: 12
Someone just shared this on twitter. Don't understand it tbh I think Molly and Fleur are better dancers than Rose and John. The irony is that AJ is the only one of the three who is significantly better than any of the remaining couples this series, but if she'd been able to compete in the final last year she wouldn't have stood a chance against Rose and John. At the risk of sounding like that conspiracy theorist boomer who was posting here earlier, I think it's awesome what Rose and John did for their respective communities but they were vastly overhyped in terms of actual dancing ability😅

Attachments

• Haha
I caught up with the dances on YouTube after the football last night (to avoid the endless waffle) and I was quite underwhelmed by everyone bar Will tbh. His was the only dance I found fun and entertaining plus the costumes worked really well. The others fell a bit flat for me.

Ellie was poor(and as per Johannes completely over danced showing how poor she was if had just brought it down a tad she wouldn’t have looked as bad) if you told me that jive was week 2/3 of believe you. I knew she’d be stitched up with ploddy music especially when there’s covers that would’ve made a better dance.

Fleur and Molly danced well as they’ve have throughout even if I did find them just a bit dull. Helen seemed like a dear in headlights at times which is shame because she’s shown potential to be a fab dancer.

Hamza didn’t wow me and he didn’t seem to do much other than be a leaning post for Jowita. He’s a proficient ballroom dancer but I’ve yet to be wowed again like I was with the salsa( (which is probably in the top dances of the series) almost everything else he’s done has been good but forgettable or I feel I’ve seen it before(like the dance he did in Blackpool). He’s had some rather inflated marks last few weeks that have left me scratching my head a little.

As for production. They 100% manipulate things to create certain situations. They decide music, the order which a couple does the dances and the order they dance on the night. The unnecessary faffing VTs and sob stories all come from producers trying to create storylines for contestants. Jayde was generally quite unlikable and poor dancer but having her sob stories pushed just put people off.

Reactions: 6
As for production. They 100% manipulate things to create certain situations. They decide music, the order which a couple does the dances and the order they dance on the night. The unnecessary faffing VTs and sob stories all come from producers trying to create storylines for contestants. Jayde was generally quite unlikable and poor dancer but having her sob stories pushed just put people off.

True, but I'm not sure that they do it with any clear, specific goal in mind. The first series I watched was the 2017 one, and I thought up until week 7 that the producers gave someone a terrible song/costume/theme/unflattering VT etc when they wanted them out. Then Debbie and Giovanni had a monstrosity of a song (and a pretty ugly dress too) for their Tango and I realised there was no way in hell the producers would have been desperately trying to send her home, so it must just be that they're sadistic chaos demons who throw darts at a wheel with the celebs' faces on to decide who to sabotage on any given week.

Reactions: 3
Someone just shared this on twitter. Don't understand it tbh I think Molly and Fleur are better dancers than Rose and John. The irony is that AJ is the only one of the three who is significantly better than any of the remaining couples this series, but if she'd been able to compete in the final last year she wouldn't have stood a chance against Rose and John. At the risk of sounding like that conspiracy theorist boomer who was posting here earlier, I think it's awesome what Rose and John did for their respective communities but they were vastly overhyped in terms of actual dancing ability😅
I think the dancers this year are quite different, and it’s pretty hard to compare levels. However, AJ had some rough weeks (Samba, Salsa being examples) despite being very good so I lean into thinking the level amongst the three finalists last year was pretty even (you could actually argue that John was more of an all-rounder so a higher level).

Reactions: 7
Personally I am enjoying this series more than last year, but I get why this year's contestants aren't everyone's cup of tea, maybe being a bit quieter and the series having a less intense vibe

But comments like this from mostly Rose and Gio fans are a bit 🙄. Not that their opinion isn't valid, but more that I sense they would object to this year's contestants whether it was a drama-packed series or not, simply because it's not 2021 anymore

I remember the same thing happening in 2016 with a few Jay fans - just being incredibly dismissive of everything about the following series because it somehow disrupted the sanctity of Jay's win the year before

Reactions: 7
There are more black contestant on this years series compared to other years, isn't that right?

If that is the case, it kind of stands to reason that there's a likelihood that there will be a higher number of black contestants progressing throughout the competition then.

While box ticking or tokenism or whatever you want to call it does happen and doesn't help anybody, the competition this year really isn't an example of it.

This is kinda what I wanted to put, so thank you for eloquently finding the words that I couldn't.

I absolutely have first hand experience of agendas in the workplace from higher management.

But Strictly is not an example of this. Look at how much tit Fleur received from the judges until recently, and look at Molly last night - undermarked AGAIN for a really good technical dance, yet Will seems to breeze through the competition. Jayde was crap but she still got overmarked.

If there is an agenda, maybe it's a case of Hamza being a lovely kind man, and a positive role model for everyone, including the younger folk. No toxic masculinity, just a beautiful soul in love with nature. I can see why the Beeb would push that. And I am totally down with that.

Same with Rose last year - not my favourite, and not the best dancer (IMO) but look at how much awareness she raised around deafness. What a message that sent when she was the winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I wonder why everyone is up in arms about box ticking this year when it was celebrated last year that the 3 finalists were a black woman, a deaf woman and a gay man. Is it the fear that all the finalists could be black? Anyone muttering box ticking needs to examine their hearts as to WHY that would concern them.

I once knew a man whose parents were very involved in the BNP he walked away from them and their disgusting beliefs as soon as he was old enough but admitted that even in his 40s he would sometimes catch himself in moments of subconscious racism despite the decades of work he did on himself.
When reading some of the comments on various sites lately it's fairly clear that there is a lot of subconscious racism, they believe because they wouldn't use racist language or assault someone due to their race they aren't racist. Instead they twist it around where they are the victims.
Thankfully they are in the minority, especially on this thread which has been fun and pleasant.

Reactions: 13
Does anyone know why the BBC
I agree about Rose and John, I wanted to fully get behind AJ but her Latin was pretty poor 😭
I can see what the op means though. Fleur and Molly are great dancers and the others have all had their moments too but there haven't been nearly as many exciting, memorable routines as on other series. The only ones that come close imo are Hamzas salsa, Fleur's samba and Kym's AT.

Reactions: 4
True, but I'm not sure that they do it with any clear, specific goal in mind. The first series I watched was the 2017 one, and I thought up until week 7 that the producers gave someone a terrible song/costume/theme/unflattering VT etc when they wanted them out. Then Debbie and Giovanni had a monstrosity of a song (and a pretty ugly dress too) for their Tango and I realised there was no way in hell the producers would have been desperately trying to send her home, so it must just be that they're sadistic chaos demons who throw darts at a wheel with the celebs' faces on to decide who to sabotage on any given week.
BIB - And I think they had Ellie T's face on it most weeks. 😁
She seems to have been given more than her fair share of awful outfits. Wasn't she dressed as Bo Peep or something one week!
I also still remember Ellie S trying to say something positive about that awful dress that was revealed to her on ITT.

I know Ellie T is definitely not the best dancer but I really love her partnership with Johannes. 😁
I think most (if not all) of the partnerships were well put together this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Why aren't we talking about Wills score WTF was that dance? The theming was like some weird cousin to Hamza's and Jowita's jive! o_O

• Haha
Nancy and the choreographers did their best but it’s the least Charleston Charleston I’ve ever seen. He did look like he was enjoying it though so not mad if he stays.

Reactions: 5
I think some of the new team might have more specific goals and some come across a little more obvious than in previous years but that’s just a personal interpretation of certain situations. I do find myself questioning music and theming choices more than say four years ago (but again that’s maybe just a me thing) But I look at Tyler’s run this year and now he got favourable music and dance order at the start of the competition and post Halloween not really having any more wow moments. He’d got Dianne a good run and so fulfilled his narrative so wasn’t needed anymore.

I think some celebrities ability and popularity sometimes puts a spanner in the works. I think Bill Bailey(possibly wanting a Janette win) was possibly one these and I think Hamza has been another(possibly wanting Helen win) similarly I think Robs withdrawal last year was a bit of a spanner as I think they were expecting a 5/6 week run with some okayish routines mixed in with some comedy stuff.

Reactions: 6
Will and Nancy's outfits reminded me of Tron! I did love the song though. Just didn't all gel very well

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.