Strictly come Dancing 2022 #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree about Rose and John, I wanted to fully get behind AJ but her Latin was pretty poor 😭
I can see what the op means though. Fleur and Molly are great dancers and the others have all had their moments too but there haven't been nearly as many exciting, memorable routines as on other series. The only ones that come close imo are Hamzas salsa, Fleur's samba and Kym's AT.
I feel sorry for the celebs this series. It should have been a nice celebratory one for the 20th series, instead it started by having the shine taken off it with the death of Queenie and the launch show being hurriedly being aired just before the first dance and now when it gets to the end stages it’s being bounced around the schedules for football. Just when it‘s got going and found some traction it comes to a halt again.

Reactions: 17
Why aren't we talking about Wills score WTF was that dance? The theming was like some weird cousin to Hamza's and Jowita's jive! o_O
Didn't think it was very charleston, there was a lot of dancing apart and side by side, very few lifts where other couples, this series and previous, have always concentrated on the daring lifts.

imo Will and Nancy played it very very safe, which the judges never mentioned. swivel, swivel and more swivel does the job. Any couple with a charleston left in their repertoir please take note. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I think some of the new team might have more specific goals and some come across a little more obvious than in previous years but that’s just a personal interpretation of certain situations. I do find myself questioning music and theming choices more than say four years ago (but again that’s maybe just a me thing) But I look at Tyler’s run this year and now he got favourable music and dance order at the start of the competition and post Halloween not really having any more wow moments. He’d got Dianne a good run and so fulfilled his narrative so wasn’t needed anymore.

I think some celebrities ability and popularity sometimes puts a spanner in the works. I think Bill Bailey(possibly wanting a Janette win) was possibly one these and I think Hamza has been another(possibly wanting Helen win) similarly I think Robs withdrawal last year was a bit of a spanner as I think they were expecting a 5/6 week run with some okayish routines mixed in with some comedy stuff.
I agree with you that they may have had preconceived notions about how Tyler and Hamza would do, and might have expected Helen to win going in, but I'm not sure I see it with Bill. Just my personal opinion, but I always find it confusing when people say the producers didn't foresee Bill winning. Idk, but my first thought when I saw he'd been announced (after 'holy tit, I can't believe Bill Bailey's doing Strictly!) was 'lol, well that's a damn shame for everyone else, he's already won.'

Maybe in a normal length series he wouldn't have won, as perhaps the audience would have gotten bored after he plateaued and he'd have gone out somewhere around the week 9-11 mark, but with the shorter length, it's hard to see how the producers could have been stupid enough to think a celebrity as big as him wasn't winning, unless he was Anne Widdecombe level bad, and surely they knew he wasn't from the audition. Also hard to see how they thought Janette would win with a ringer. Even if male ringers aren't generally as unpopular as female, they still rarely win. That said, I do wonder why Oti didn't end up partnering Jamie like she was originally supposed to? That's the only thing that makes me question it a bit.

Reactions: 3
QUOTE="pineapplesandcheese, post: 12836873, member: 329693"]
Someone just shared this on twitter. Don't understand it tbh I think Molly and Fleur are better dancers than Rose and John. The irony is that AJ is the only one of the three who is significantly better than any of the remaining couples this series, but if she'd been able to compete in the final last year she wouldn't have stood a chance against Rose and John. At the risk of sounding like that conspiracy theorist boomer who was posting here earlier, I think it's awesome what Rose and John did for their respective communities but they were vastly overhyped in terms of actual dancing ability😅
[/QUOTE]

For me Rose and Gio had it sewn up well before the final due to their iconic couples choice dance. Rose was very graceful in her dancing, Gio seemed to be very content teaching her too.

John was a great all rounder and mastered most of the dances, Johannes was the perfect partner. AJ would probably have won in any other year, she was a beautiful dancer, even the salsa was great until that last lift. 😯 John's ending went wrong too which made that week hilarious. I did enjoy last year's series more, purely for the fact that all four remaining dancers were evenly match for one reason or another, including Rhys who was quite overshadowed, had he been in this year he could have been the winner.

Reactions: 6
I can only speak for myself @LennyBriscoe , but I wouldn't automatically label someone as racist because they didn't like Fleur. We all see different things in different people. Take Gorka and his arse for example - some love the bum displays, others are not so enamoured. That's life. However sometimes it is very obviously racism. It does still exist, just look at some of the disgusting things she has posted about her elsewhere.

I think with Fleur (and I'm not directing this at anybody) is that she is a strong, confident, beautiful woman. And sometimes people don't like to see that in a woman (usually - but not always - other women). And it makes people feel uneasy. And when people feel uneasy, then that uneasiness can manifest into something else. Same with Alexandra Burke. I thought she was amazing. But there were others who perhaps thought her a bit too full of herself. It's very sad.

For the record, I didn't warm to Ore, simply because I couldn't be doing with all the crying. All. The. Time.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Feel for Ellie T having to do her kid’s birthday party today at a softplay after being eliminated last night 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yikes, looks like Blackpool was a bit of a superspreader. Let's hope nobody else goes down with it, and we get a positive update from Kym very soon (basically she will have to confirm today that she can compete this week, or withdraw):confused:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I can only speak for myself @LennyBriscoe , but I wouldn't label someone as racist because they didn't like Fleur. We all see different things in different people. Take Gorka and his arse for example - some love the bum displays, others are not so enamoured. That's life
Thanks Peas - I did a dirty delete on my post because even though nobody could pick me out of a line up, online arguing etc is not for me! What I had said was I picked up a vibe here (I am in the Spoiler group but even the best of comments on Strictly social media aren’t for me) that if you were a female in particular who didn’t like or vote for Fleur then it was perhaps a race issue.

I stand by all I’ve said about Fleur which isn’t a massive amount but I agree - you like who you like. The colour of her skin has nothing to do with how I vote; last night I voted for Hamza (he’s lost a bit of momentum for me but I think he still has so much to give), Helen (not her best but definitely not 5-worthy) and Molly (it must be tough to know you’re not popular and I think she was undermarked).

As I said in my first post, I’m hopefully reading too much into it. There will sadly be people for whom race is the issue, but not everyone comes into that category.

Reactions: 5
Yikes, looks like Blackpool was a bit of a superspreader. Let's hope nobody else goes down with it, and we get a positive update from Kym very soon (basically she will have to confirm today that she can compete this week, or withdraw):confused:

Welllll you know who would be gagging to step in as replacement.......

Seriously though, hope Kym feels well enough to carry on. She has come on leaps and bounds and one of my faves.

My two cents on the issue of whether or not racism is contributing to Fleur being unpopular with voters - I imagine it's a situation where some people have unconscious biases. I doubt many people are sitting in their living rooms, outright thinking 'I do not like Fleur and will not vote for her no matter how she dances because she is black and I am racist' but there likely are people who perceive her as more obnoxious/arrogant/loud etc than they would a white person with the exact same personality and don't realise it. And of course, some people just don't like her because they just don't like her, which is fine, but as there's no way to tell one from the other, invariably there will be disagreements.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I love Fleur and I am indifferent to Hamza. He does nothing for me. Cam someone tell me if I'm racist or not as I'm not sure ? 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My two cents on the issue of whether or not racism is contributing to Fleur being unpopular with voters - I imagine it's a situation where some people have unconscious biases. I doubt many people are sitting in their living rooms, outright thinking 'I do not like Fleur and will not vote for her no matter how she dances because she is black and I am racist' but there likely are people who perceive her as more obnoxious/arrogant/loud etc than they would a white person with the exact same personality and don't realise it. And of course, some people just don't like her because they just don't like her, which is fine, but as there's no way to tell one from the other, invariably there will be disagreements.
Please don’t bring unconscious racism into this, because it is as good as saying that someone is racist. My favourite is Hamza, because he is adorable, Fleur is not my favourite because I just cannot take to her as a person. I couldn’t stand Ashley Roberts. Why can’t we just accept that there are people we don’t like. Full stop.

Reactions: 6
Welllll you know who would be gagging to step in as replacement.......

Seriously though, hope Kym feels well enough to carry on. She has come on leaps and bounds and one of my faves.
Re Jayde, when the participants are shown at the beginning of the programme she is the only one of those who were eliminated that I feel absolutely no liking for.

I hope so too re Kym. Fingers crossed 🤞.

I agree with you that they may have had preconceived notions about how Tyler and Hamza would do, and might have expected Helen to win going in, but I'm not sure I see it with Bill. Just my personal opinion, but I always find it confusing when people say the producers didn't foresee Bill winning. Idk, but my first thought when I saw he'd been announced (after 'holy tit, I can't believe Bill Bailey's doing Strictly!) was 'lol, well that's a damn shame for everyone else, he's already won.'

Maybe in a normal length series he wouldn't have won, as perhaps the audience would have gotten bored after he plateaued and he'd have gone out somewhere around the week 9-11 mark, but with the shorter length, it's hard to see how the producers could have been stupid enough to think a celebrity as big as him wasn't winning, unless he was Anne Widdecombe level bad, and surely they knew he wasn't from the audition. Also hard to see how they thought Janette would win with a ringer. Even if male ringers aren't generally as unpopular as female, they still rarely win. That said, I do wonder why Oti didn't end up partnering Jamie like she was originally supposed to? That's the only thing that makes me question it a bit.
I only say Bill is a spanner as on paper being a slightly overweight middle aged man he shouldn’t have been winning material. I’d have to check but I’m sure most winners have been under 40 when they win. (Or fractionally over)

2020 was somewhat an anomaly because of the circumstances and under normal circumstances he wouldn’t have taken part. I did see a lot of people writing him off before they saw him dance but I knew he’d be a dark horse because he is gifted musician. (Those who slagged him off probably weren’t aware) I only wonder about hvry because he had a tad of the Joe Sugg inoffensive nice young man about him(old ladies like that or the ones that I go to church with do/did) .

Jamie not being repaired with Oti was strange though but maybe the powers that be thought Karen was a better partner. I don’t think he would’ve got as far with someone else that partnership really worked so maybe it was a change for the better.

Reactions: 5
Please don’t bring unconscious racism into this, because it is as good as saying that someone is racist. My favourite is Hamza, because he is adorable, Fleur is not my favourite because I just cannot take to her as a person. I couldn’t stand Ashley Roberts. Why can’t we just accept that there are people we don’t like. Full stop.
No one is saying if you aren't head over heels in love with every black person you've ever seen you must be racist, but denying that it's possible for anyone to hold unconscious biases... doesn't really make for a good case that it doesn't happen. My post literally says some people just don't like some people and that's fine. And yet you still felt the need to defend yourself for some reason... 🤷‍♀️

I love Hamza, I think Fleur and Vito have one of the more engaging partnerships and I don't think she deserves to have been in the bottom 2 except maybe with the salsa (which was badly choreographed, so not her fault) but I am ambivalent towards her as a person so far, and I from what I remember of the 2 or 3 episodes I've seen from that series, I found Ashley Roberts a little bit annoying, however, these opinions don't prove or disprove whether anyone who has them is racist or not.

Reactions: 7
I only say Bill is a spanner as on paper being a slightly overweight middle aged man he shouldn’t have been winning material. I’d have to check but I’m sure most winners have been under 40 when they win. (Or fractionally over)

2020 was somewhat an anomaly because of the circumstances and under normal circumstances he wouldn’t have taken part. I did see a lot of people writing him off before they saw him dance but I knew he’d be a dark horse because he is gifted musician. (Those who slagged him off probably weren’t aware) I only wonder about hvry because he had a tad of the Joe Sugg inoffensive nice young man about him(old ladies like that or the ones that I go to church with do/did) .

Jamie not being repaired with Oti was strange though but maybe the powers that be thought Karen was a better partner. I don’t think he would’ve got as far with someone else that partnership really worked so maybe it was a change for the better.
Karen is incredibly zen and chilled out - Jamie biscuits is ridiculously privileged and I think would annoy most other professionals who are used to to dealing with people who have excelled in their own careers on their own merits. Which other nepotism babies have we had? I’m struggling to think of another person who was famous just because their parents were rich.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.