Strictly Come Dancing 2020 #6 The Aftermath

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Christmas special and it’s inclusions of Brucey only further highlighted how poor Tess is at the role. I genuinely would fear for her if she was faced with a Mark/Karen situation because everything she says and does is scripted to death. Bruce dealt with it and many other things brilliantly. He was so good at live television and genuinely funny, Tess is just cringey. I would swap her and Claudia if I had my way just because Claudia is funnier but can be too much at times. Sometimes I feel like hiding behind a cushion at some of their incredibly forced jokes.

Tess has no comedic ability whatsoever and no originality in what she says, just the same repeated phrases and cliches. Nothing will ever top a couple of years ago when “look at his little face” was uttered non stop whenever a 27 year old Joe Sugg was within a 50 metre radius of her.

Painful.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The Christmas special and it’s inclusions of Brucey only further highlighted how poor Tess is at the role. I genuinely would fear for her if she was faced with a Mark/Karen situation because everything she says and does is scripted to death. Bruce dealt with it and many other things brilliantly. He was so good at live television and genuinely funny, Tess is just cringey. I would swap her and Claudia if I had my way just because Claudia is funnier but can be too much at times. Sometimes I feel like hiding behind a cushion at some of their incredibly forced jokes.

Tess has no comedic ability whatsoever and no originality in what she says, just the same repeated phrases and cliches. Nothing will ever top a couple of years ago when “look at his little face” was uttered non stop whenever a 27 year old Joe Sugg was within a 50 metre radius of her.

Painful.
The only positive about Tess is that she is able to keep the show running on time which is really important for a live show like SCD which doesn't have ad breaks. For that, I can kinda see why they've kept her (though others can do it) but I do agree that she is terrible as an actual compère, 0 ability to think on her feet and overall unable to even give scripted comments that come across warm and/or amusing.

Reactions: 7
The only positive about Tess is that she is able to keep the show running on time which is really important for a live show like SCD which doesn't have ad breaks. For that, I can kinda see why they've kept her (though others can do it) but I do agree that she is terrible as an actual compère, 0 ability to think on her feet and overall unable to even give scripted comments that come across warm and/or amusing.
I felt a bit differently about Bruce. While I’m no Tess fan, she’s just ‘there’ to me, he seemed like he was always on the verge of a major cock up to me. At least for the last 5 years. Watching the special brought home how much I used to cringe.

Reactions: 6
I felt a bit differently about Bruce. While I’m no Tess fan, she’s just ‘there’ to me, he seemed like he was always on the verge of a major cock up to me. At least for the last 5 years. Watching the special brought home how much I used to cringe.
When Bruce was on form, he was great but sadly that wasn't often the case in his later years. They clearly had no idea on how to get rid of him and who to replace him with which is probably why they ended up keeping him for so long and eventually gave Tess the main gig which she isn't well suited to.

Wouldn't mind a change in presenters at this point.

Reactions: 2
I agree, she does keep things ticking along, but I think Tess is incredibly lucky that her wooden presenting is very much part of the Strictly experience, just like Craig's panto villain act is. She certainly wouldn't get away with it on any other TV show (and it's notable that Strictly is now her only major presenting gig)

I do think her and Claudia kind of work well together , in that they balance each other out

Reactions: 1
I agree, she does keep things ticking along, but I think Tess is incredibly lucky that her wooden presenting is very much part of the Strictly experience, just like Craig's panto villain act is. She certainly wouldn't get away with it on any other TV show (and it's notable that Strictly is now her only major presenting gig)

I do think her and Claudia kind of work well together , in that they balance each other out
She’s worked there for years, she knows how long the dances are but she still can’t back to the side of the dancefloor on time after the dance finishes! Apparently she goes off to a wee room at the back to check her script and have a drink of wine but come on Tess, even just once a night can you be where you’re meant to be on time...?

• Haha
The only good thing about COVID is Tess can’t cling on to and grab every contestant as they come over to the judges after their dance. She’s so patronising ‘aw your little face!’ to grown actual adults, and her love of stating the obvious ‘you seem a bit out of breath there!’ to a couple who’ve just done a very fast jive 🙄 I also dislike her styling, every week it’s just an abomination! Please can she go?! I’ll take literally anyone else. Except Rylan please

Tess only got the Strictly presenting job because Zoe Ball turned it down on the advice of her agent at the time.

Surely being able to keep the show moving is the bare minimum expected of a presenter one of the biggest live shows on television.

She’s not new to the gig so has no excuse. I feel she’s getting more wooden, more cringey, more cliched and more patronising as time goes on.

Surely being able to keep the show moving is the bare minimum expected of a presenter one of the biggest live shows on television.

She’s not new to the gig so has no excuse. I feel she’s getting more wooden, more cringey, more cliched and more patronising as time goes on.
Agree with every word! I think considering how amazing the costumes, hair and make up are she usually looks awful, she’s wooden, I can’t bear all the “the audience are on their feet” “we all felt that emotion” “oh look you’re out of breath”. So predictable 🙄 I love Claudia but she’s definitely more suited to the role she has, chatting to them after and joking with them. They should replace Tess tho, anyone would be better (except Christine lampard. I don’t know why but I just don’t like her!)

Could we dip into past contestants for a Tess replacement? Any ideas?

Brian Conley seemed like a natural fit for the 'Bruce' role but I think he is a bit polarising (though came across quite well on the show).

Reactions: 2
Could we dip into past contestants for a Tess replacement? Any ideas?

Brian Conley seemed like a natural fit for the 'Bruce' role but I think he is a bit polarising (though came across quite well on the show).
I vote Jamie, he loves the show so much and would be such fun 🥰

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.