Strictly Come Dancing 2020 #6 The Aftermath

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long time lurker and devoted Strictly fan. Just watched Lisa and Brendan’s show dance on YouTube. What have I just watched? There is a particularly awkward section of lifts halfway through and you get the impression the audience are cheering through relief than because it’s actually good. @Chita i remember the big fuss they made about performing it - it doesn’t compare to some of the recent show dances (Kelvin and Danny particularly).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I don't want to stir things up, but why didn't Danny win that year? I've just binged a lot of his dances and he has got to be one of the best, if not the best male celebrity. From the comments on the YouTube videos, it looks like it was a mix of having previous dance experience and being undermarked?

Reactions: 9
I don't want to stir things up, but why didn't Danny win that year? I've just binged a lot of his dances and he has got to be one of the best, if not the best male celebrity. From the comments on the YouTube videos, it looks like it was a mix of having previous dance experience and being undermarked?
Didn't Ore's showdance go down a storm? Also, Danny bundled his quickstep? Maybe that's what swung it?

Reactions: 4
He made mistakes during the final.
It lost him the contest.

Such a shame. He was a fabulous dancer.

He was one of those who (because I'd never heard of him) I expected to be big headed because he is so good looking.
I was expecting to dislike him.
Turned out, I'd judged a book by its cover and felt ashamed because not only is he NOT big headed, he is probabaly my favourite contestant to watch of all time.

I don’t remember this. May have to rewatch
There probably won't be the inclusion of Lisa and Brendan's expressions while they pleaded to be allowed to perform their showcase.
They clearly believed it to be the best thing since sliced bread.
Have this in mind when you watch the dance and take note of how intense they look whilst performing it.
Oh it was a corker!

Long time lurker and devoted Strictly fan. Just watched Lisa and Brendan’s show dance on YouTube. What have I just watched? There is a particularly awkward section of lifts halfway through and you get the impression the audience are cheering through relief than because it’s actually good. @Chita i remember the big fuss they made about performing it - it doesn’t compare to some of the recent show dances (Kelvin and Danny particularly).
Lisa and Brendan clearly believed it to be the best showdnace ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
OK, I've gone back and watched his quickstep from the final now. Oof. The mistakes made me wince for him. (I still preferred his showdance though)

Lisa and Brendan's showdance .... Look at their faces! They think this is SOOOO good!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Lisa and Brendan's showdance .... Look at their faces! They think this is SOOOO good!

Thank you! It’s even better than I remember because it’s so terrible but they think it’s amazing. I remember how over-praised Lisa was by the judges and this dance was the culmination of that. Everything about it is awful.

Danny was in the semi-final dance-off, and that combined with the mistakes in his QS (I was gutted because it would have been a 40 if he’d done it right) and Ore’s showdance was enough for him to lose unfortunately. However, I suspect that the 2016 final was the closest vote the show has had. I can’t think of another contestant who is so universally considered to have been robbed the way Danny Mac is. It’s been four years and he’s still so loved, and rightfully so. The BBC don’t release voting statistics but I think it was very close between Danny and Ore.

Reactions: 8
Also all the way through they’d made Ore the judge’s pet, and he cried after every dance which endeared him to a lot of viewers. They pushed the Cliftons too as the golden dancers. It was the first year it really seemed (to me anyway) that you could tell who the producers wanted to win. A couple of mistakes on Danny’s part shouldn’t have lost it for him. He should have won and that is the hill I am prepared to die on!!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
That Showdance was car crash TV - so bad it was good. Funniest thing was how they thought it was amazing when it was really the most cringe routine they could have done. Must have been quite satisfying for Austin Healey's fans to have seen this as they were really bitter that Lisa got saved over him.

There was once a video of that dance on YouTube with Digital Spy's commentary added - absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: 7
Also all the way through they’d made Ore the judge’s pet, and he cried after every dance which endeared him to a lot of viewers. They pushed the Cliftons too as the golden dancers. It was the first year it really seemed (to me anyway) that you could tell who the producers wanted to win. A couple of mistakes on Danny’s part shouldn’t have lost it for him. He should have won and that is the hill I am prepared to die on!!
And flying in Gene Kelly’s wife for the final was a special touch they didn’t extend to the other finalists...

That’s the first time I’ve seen Lisa and Brendan’s showdance 😯 at one point it looked like he was struggling to lug a carpet down the stairs!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
And flying in Gene Kelly’s wife for the final was a special touch they didn’t extend to the other finalists...
Oh yes of course. Guess I’d blocked that out. Makes me rage 🤬 I’m sure Ore is a lovely guy but whenever I see his face I get really irate! It was obvious favouritism 🙄

• Heart
I think I've mentioned this before but me and mum go to a lot of the strictly shows. We go to the tour most years. Danny Mac is hands down the best dancer I've ever seen - you honestly couldn't tell the difference between him and the professionals!!! He was brilliant. ❤❤❤

Contrast this with Tom Chambers who we saw in Top Hat. The difference between him and the pro dancers was glaringly obvious. At one point, me and the old dear said that Anton would have been brilliant in the role. I'm surprised he hasn't appeared in that type of musical (play himself sort of thing)

Reactions: 5
Agree with every word.
Ore's "tiny tears" act and being judges pet won it for him.

That’s the first time I’ve seen Lisa and Brendan’s showdance 😯 at one point it looked like he was struggling to lug a carpet down the stairs!
I was furious that they had a Gene Kelly lookalike and dancealike in Danny but they gave Ore the Gene Kelly routine and flew Mrs Kelly out for him and not Danny!
It was blatant favouritism.

Reactions: 7
I'd forgotten how horrific that showdance was 🤣 I loved Brendan but I was never a fan of Lisa, she loved herself so much!

Reactions: 2

Oh my God I was laughing so much! It’s like a bad Eurovision entry 😂😂 This should have been in the Christmas countdown special!

• Haha
It really did set the tone for the show dances that were to come in future series, turning the show dance into a theatrical performance. They created something unique and it’s telling that so many of us still remember it twelve years later.

Does anyone else remember Lisa and Brendan’s showdance from the same night? They were eliminated and got to perform it as a farewell. Lisa was in a silver leotard and it was one of the strangest show dances I’ve ever seen (second only to Colin, Erin and those puppets).
Other people remember the puppets! IRL people never remember the puppets and think I’m insane (I can see why) 😂

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.