Strictly Come Dancing 2020 #6 The Aftermath

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
think Tom's showdance was so iconic
Absolutely. Watching it last night reminded me just how many technical mistakes there were in it but for me it dosent come close to ruining it. It’s iconic and as you say it’s “the showdance”. I will always pin every other showdance up against it that’s how much I love it. I think Camillas choreography is so good in it too, Tom is the star of the show not her. His personality comes out whilst getting lots of different styles in. No gimmicks or messing just dancing.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
That Charleston is what got me into Strictly - just pure joy. Also really liked Ola when she was a pro, thought she was very underrated. Never quite understood what she saw in James (she's sweet but he comes off abrasive). I also kinda wish they gave her a really good celeb just once (Chris H wasn't it while Ashley TD had to juggle an insane work schedule and a newborn with the show).
I always thought Ola !ooked like she was in some kind of hostage situation with James! She was still in the show and he was making disparaging remarks until she too had to leave. Now they are doing sleazy ads and dance routines. I feel its all him. I dont know either of them but like you say they just look really ill matched and like there is a power dynamic with her being so sweet and him beingso aggressive.
I loved the top 25 dances show. I enjoyed it more than the Christmas Specials.

Absolutely. Watching it last night reminded me just how many technical mistakes there were in it but for me it dosent come close to ruining it. It’s iconic and as you say it’s “the showdance”. I will always pin every other showdance up against it that’s how much I love it. I think Camillas choreography is so good in it too, Tom is the star of the show not her. His personality comes out whilst getting lots of different styles in. No gimmicks or messing just dancing.
100% agree with this! When you rewatch it you can see all the messy bits but at the time it was on another level - it just stood out from the rest of the dances in this series: plus the song is great. It was different but didn’t feel gimmicky if that makes sense? Plus I remember feeling it was justice for Camilla after the Brendan situation after all that time.
Many show dances either fall short or feel gimmicky. A bit like Maisie’s? She danced beautifully with Gorka and you couldn’t fault the standard but I won’t remember it in 2 years time...

Reactions: 2
I always thought Ola !ooked like she was in some kind of hostage situation with James! She was still in the show and he was making disparaging remarks until she too had to leave. Now they are doing sleazy ads and dance routines. I feel its all him. I dont know either of them but like you say they just look really ill matched and like there is a power dynamic with her being so sweet and him beingso aggressive.
I loved the top 25 dances show. I enjoyed it more than the Christmas Specials.
I think it's definitely him who caused all of the problems between them & SCD. I hope she's OK with him and it isn't a bad situation. All I can say is that I would never enter a relationship with a guy of his personality myself.

I 100% agree with you! Tom's show dance is my all-time fave show dance, it was just perfect for him and his Fred Astaire style. I know it doesn't look as impressive as some dances these days that have all the lifts and contemporary style to them, but I was 14 or 15 years old when Tom won and for teenage me it was the best dance ever at the time 😍 I loved Camilla's harlequin pants too (I miss Camilla!)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think Tom's showdance was so iconic and a lot of people remember it as THE showdance.
It really did set the tone for the show dances that were to come in future series, turning the show dance into a theatrical performance. They created something unique and it’s telling that so many of us still remember it twelve years later.

Does anyone else remember Lisa and Brendan’s showdance from the same night? They were eliminated and got to perform it as a farewell. Lisa was in a silver leotard and it was one of the strangest show dances I’ve ever seen (second only to Colin, Erin and those puppets).

I’d wish more pros would take note of what Camilla did with that dance. Not a prop to be seen, no faffing about. I wonder do the producers insist or really push props and themes on the pros these days? Less is certainly more in my opinion.

Reactions: 9
I’d wish more pros would take note of what Camilla did with that dance. Not a prop to be seen, no faffing about. I wonder do the producers insist or really push props and themes on the pros these days? Less is certainly more in my opinion.
Almost certainly the producers call. I'd like if they went a bit more back to basics though I do see an argument for them to go all out on the showdances.

Reactions: 4
Sorry to derail the topic, but whenever I've seen I've seen Shirley on other TV shows or in magazine interviews recently, all she talks about is her boyfriend all the time. I remember reading in an interview recently that she hoped her boyfriend would propose soon and that she's already picked her bridesmaids. They've only been together a year or so and she's had two or three marriages prior?! Shirley reeks of desperation, and she's always thirsting over the young blokes on Strictly. Makes my skin crawl a bit.

Sorry to derail the topic, but whenever I've seen I've seen Shirley on other TV shows or in magazine interviews recently, all she talks about is her boyfriend all the time. I remember reading in an interview recently that she hoped her boyfriend would propose soon and that she's already picked her bridesmaids. They've only been together a year or so and she's had two or three marriages prior?! Shirley reeks of desperation, and she's always thirsting over the young blokes on Strictly. Makes my skin crawl a bit.
I think she has shocking self esteem and feels validated with a guy. She’s obsessed with being slim, I read that in an interview with her.

• Wow
I was hoping for a Kara dance :( And I think Ed Balls deservedly got to number 4. I giggled like a schoolgirl for the millionth time #sorrynotsorry

I missed Danny Mac's series for the most part but.... Wow. I'm going to have to YouTube him now.

Reactions: 3
I was hoping for a Kara dance :( And I think Ed Balls deservedly got to number 4. I giggled like a schoolgirl for the millionth time #sorrynotsorry

I missed Danny Mac's series for the most part but.... Wow. I'm going to have to YouTube him now.
You're in for a treat. It was such a good series. I liked Claudia and AJ's charleston and quickstep from that year too. Would've preferred them in the final to Ore or Louise tbh x

I agree re Kara - I loved her American Smooth (I’m sure it was at Blackpool when they first did it? Unless I’ve rewritten history).

I also prefer both Aleshas and Louis’ show dances more than the ones included in the countdown: possibly as I love Bonnie Tyler’s Hero and the way Alesha hit all the beats was fab. I loved Matthew Cutler: was gutted when he left.

I was really chuffed Jill and Darren’s jive made it as it was so early on - I’ve said it on these threads before it’s my ultimate favourite dance and has really stood the test of time: long before Strictly became about ringers and how big your social fan base is. For me as a huge fan it was the first point where I was truly wowed by a celeb and she really held her own with Darren.
I always wanted to learn the dance (haha fat chance) - I wonder if Jill can still remember it?!
Could not agree more with your words about Jill. One of the most memorable dances ever for me. I remember Amy saying on ITT last year that her and her sister used to watch strictly growing up and were obsessed with Jill’s jive and even taught themselves the choreography which is sweet. Shows how iconic the dance really was.

Reactions: 4
And my last comment on the show is how much the outfits have changed, I can’t believe some of the stuff they used to wear! Would never pass today!
I didn’t watch SCD much back then but do you know why there was such a drastic change in how the female pros dressed? Was it different producers or was the fashion in the professional world at the time to hardly wear anything? You’d think that it would be more sexy now but compared to what the ladies used to wear, the female pros look like nuns these days 😂

Reactions: 1
I’m now totally obsessed with watching Jills jive. It was just so perfect. I do love Jays jive too though so am glad that won.

Maybe a little off topic but I love finding out the answers to this question!

If you were on Strictly, what song would you love to dance to and what would that dance be?

I know a similar question was asked but I love hearing the answers!
even though this song irritates the crap out of me, Taylor Swift, shake it off would make a good jive I reckon

and does anyone remember that song in Mr and Mrs Smith after they had the sexy fight scene? That would be my rhumba choice

a LOT of Christmas songs make good strictly choices I’ve noticed over the past few days

Maybe a little off topic but I love finding out the answers to this question!

If you were on Strictly, what song would you love to dance to and what would that dance be?

I know a similar question was asked but I love hearing the answers!
I've always imagined myself doing the Argentine Tango with Pasha to Life Of The Party by The Weeknd 😈 They'd have to edit a lot of the lyrics to make it appropriate to sing it on Strictly though...

• Haha
Does anyone else remember Lisa and Brendan’s showdance from the same night? They were eliminated and got to perform it as a farewell. Lisa was in a silver leotard and it was one of the strangest show dances I’ve ever seen (second only to Colin, Erin and those puppets).
Oh yes I remember.
In those days there were two lots of votes on the night.
We voted at first and they eliminated the couple with the least votes during that round of votes.
Which meant the couple voted off didnt get the chance to do their "showdance" because the performance of the showdances was saved until after the first couple had been voted off.

Lisa Snowdon and Brendan were SO convinced their showdance was the best thing ever and they pleaded for the chance to dance it so the viewers could witness this fantastic dance.

They were allowed to perform it and throughout it their facial expressions were SO serious!
It was clear how great they thought the dance was from their faces.
Sadly, most of the viewers disagreed and stifled laughter all the way through.
That awful silver costume Lisa wore didn't help but she and Brendan believed they had just danced the best showdance that could ever exist.
Bless.
It is certainly memorable but not for the reasons they think.

Oh yes I remember.
In those days there were two lots of votes on the night.
We voted at first and they eliminated the couple with the least votes during that round of votes.
Which meant the couple voted off didnt get the chance to do their "showdance" because the performance of the showdances was saved until after the first couple had been voted off.

Lisa Snowdon and Brendan were SO convinced their showdance was the best thing ever and they pleaded for the chance to dance it so the viewers could witness this fantastic dance.

They were allowed to perform it and throughout it their facial expressions were SO serious!
It was clear how great they thought the dance was from their faces.
Sadly, most of the viewers disagreed and stifled laughter all the way through.
That awful silver costume Lisa wore didn't help but she and Brendan believed they had just danced the best showdance that could ever exist.
Bless.
It is certainly memorable but not for the reasons they think.
I don’t remember this. May have to rewatch

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.