Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe we should institute a rule of 3 tweaks max, or maybe even 2 or 1 as I feel fraus have been very generous correcting things as they go (not picking on you @Lucky Escape it just occurred to me as I read yours). That is despite them apparently having little chance of improving the outcome or it going from inedible to edible, but that would at least keep us strict and in the spirit of sticking to the recipes as written. Thoughts?

I'd argue for 1 tweak allowed, excluding minor ingredient substitutions. That's on the grounds that reporting "I followed the recipe but changed this, this and this" is overly generous.
Haha, I honestly felt silly for being over-literal and not correcting more of the obvious errors as I went along! But I entirely agree, if you'd followed this exactly as written it would have been unsalvageable.

She was aiming this recipe at food bank users, so she and her enablers surely have a duty of care here. Are they not ashamed?

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 32
Grunking like a mofo but it seems very quiet in jackanory land ATM. Possibly, in advance of the new book the publishers have told her to wind her neck in (seems unlikely), or (more likely) the brown stuff has really hit the ventilation device in regard to her maverick methods of raising funds.

All the lefty blue tickers are huffing and puffing about Elon musk over on the haunted bird app and its hard to imagine she wouldn't want to get involved for some sweet blue tick attention.

What a time to be alive!
Maybe she’s grunking like a mofo too, catching up on a hilarious Slopalong…

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Phase 3. Out of the airing cupboard and into an oven at 150C (fan), which seems quite low for bread, but what do I know, Jack has made LOADS OF LOAVES. there's no instruction from Jack about what to do in terms of covering the loaf for the second rise (despite her kneadlessly pedantic instructions for kneading) so I asked Mr Beacon what he thought - so we ended up covering it with cling film again. Possibly an error as I think it has stopped it rising. Or possibly a blessing in disguise in case it was going to achieve sentience in the airing cupboard. Anyway. We bake this bugger for an HOUR now.
View attachment 1709330View attachment 1709331
And we're out!
Comment from Mr Beacon "blimey, that's solid"
It smells quite nice, vaguely of pineapple, and it looks like bread. How bad can it be?
We are going to wait till after dinner (sausage and mash!) to try it as it seems more like a dessert than a main
20221106_181958.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
After seeing all these non-Newtonian fluids I'm quite looking forward to my recipe. How can she possibly duck up pastry with jam in it? <ominous music plays>

• Haha
Reactions: 46
And we're out!
It smells quite nice, vaguely of pineapple, and it looks like bread. How bad can it be?
We are going to wait till after dinner (sausage and mash!) to try it as it seems more like a dessert than a main
View attachment 1709450
Oh this actually looks good! I’m intrigued.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
And we're out!
View attachment 1709450
Wow, that actually looks quite appealing.
Could we be looking at a real life 4 here?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Slopalong with Madonna_Claws presents: Tinned Potato Fishcakes

Ingredients (parsley in fridge)
20221105_202410.jpg

Had to buy the sardines, parsley and flour. I needed the flour anyway so wasn't bought especially.

Drained and rinsed tinned spuds were cooked for 10 minutes, as per Jack's carefully, forensically tested/one and done (take your pick) method.

As I wanted to try both suggestions - with paprika and with tomato puree - I separated the potatoes equally into separate bowls. The sardine oil was mixed into the potatoes first, giving them a slimy, oily hue, then the rest. There was no way in hell I was just chucking the sardines in bones and all so I flaked them with my fingers and discarded the main bone thing in them.

Left: paprika Right: tomato puree. Photo taken before gently beating the flour in. The mixture was stiff ish - it would hold together well enough, but was tacky and slimy, probably due to the sardine oil. However, I didn't feel it warranted any more flour as it held on a spoon when upside down.
20221106_154817.jpg

Now the cooking! As I don't have a cooker or oven I fried them. Unless you were doing an absolute tit ton of them, who puts the oven on for sodding fishcakes anyway?

Paprika fishcakes first
20221106_162932.jpg

Finished!
20221106_163757.jpg

Frauen, they were... distinctly average, but edible. Kudos to Jack, the paprika gave the fishcakes a nice kick and much-needed flavour. Comparing my photo with the one in the recipe I suspect I also mashed my spuds more than Jack, but who wants lumpy fishcakes (unless the lumps are fish?) Texture wise they were sloppy in the middle rather than fluffy and light. This may be due to them not being oven cooked but I doubt it - the mixture is too heavy for fluffiness.

Now for the tomato puree fishcakes.
20221106_164531.jpg

(One for the HMHB frauen und herren there :cool:)

20221106_165308.jpg

The tomato puree fishcakes were pretty tasteless. No hint of tomato whatever, not even a tanginess or sharpness. Texture etc was exactly the same as the paprika ones, to be expected.

Now for one of each using the George Foreman grill. This is how I would cook normal, sane, shop-bought fishcakes.
20221106_171021.jpg

As you can see, because the mixture isn't completely solid, but just right to shape and doesn't fall off an upside down spoon as per Jack's instructions, the mixture as spread a bit. Not really an issue to be fair. There was a fair bit of fat that came out of them which I presume was the sardine oil mainly.

Reader, they were...
20221106_171209.jpg

... a bit tit. Nicely grilled on the outside, hot but sloppy on the inside. Again, edible but meh.

Verdict: they pretty much turned out how I expected they would, and not dissimilar to my own homemade fishcakes (though I tend to tip the lot into one big frying pan and call it 'fried sardine mash'). Jack's fishcakes were edible but ultimately tasteless and slimy. A definite unsatisfying 'meh'. Adequate if I'm being generous.

Pros: Generally edible. As mentioned above, the paprika came as a nice surprise. Gave the fishcakes a very pleasant and welcome kick, and something I may incorporate into my own in the future.

Cons: couldn't taste the lemon juice or the parsley so why are they there? The consistency was sloppy (maybe add more flour?). Not sure tinned potatoes are good for such a recipe as they are heavy, waxy and filmy - instant mash would be better as long as you don't use too much water in the mixture.

My main beef however is... why sardines in oil and *then* add tomato puree? Just buy the tinned sardines in tomato in the first place! They are *far* tastier and all that tomato juice is yum and would add delicious flavour. The tomato puree fishcakes had no hint of tomato whatsoever so what.is.point? Also, I think adding the sardine oil into the mixture made it more slimy than it needed to be, plus it didn't add anything to the flavour.

Scores: 2 (I'd give it 2 1/2 if halves are allowed).

I'm off for proper food now
20221106_172615.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 114
Thank you for this thread. I posted in the other thread about how I attempted sausagne three times. Truth is I had attempted a few Monroe recipes. Back in 2015 I was going through some rubbish, my mum passed suddenly and our household income was halved. I’d never really been able to cook, relying on easy stuff like pasta and cheese, salads, sandwiches and ready meals and takeout. This wasn’t going to be possible with my new budget and seeing Jacks books recommended for budget recipes I bought a few on kindle and figured I’d learn to cook and manage my money at the same time. It didn’t go well. As well as the sausagne I tried the 9p burgers, the risotto, a curry, salmon paste pasta, apricot and white choc loaf, cookies, bread. Each one failed. I got more upset each time, and believed I just must be a tit cook. I was already struggling with my mental health and this just added to the depression, and I started to get anxious around food shopping and cooking to the point I gave up and went back to eggs on toast or cheap tins of soup because I knew I couldn’t get these wrong and I wouldn’t be wasting money. So thank you for this thread, I can finally tell myself it wasn’t me, it wasn’t my fault, and hopefully in future give cooking another go.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 142
Thank you for this thread. I posted in the other thread about how I attempted sausagne three times. Truth is I had attempted a few Monroe recipes. Back in 2015 I was going through some rubbish, my mum passed suddenly and our household income was halved. I’d never really been able to cook, relying on easy stuff like pasta and cheese, salads, sandwiches and ready meals and takeout. This wasn’t going to be possible with my new budget and seeing Jacks books recommended for budget recipes I bought a few on kindle and figured I’d learn to cook and manage my money at the same time. It didn’t go well. As well as the sausagne I tried the 9p burgers, the risotto, a curry, salmon paste pasta, apricot and white choc loaf, cookies, bread. Each one failed. I got more upset each time, and believed I just must be a tit cook. I was already struggling with my mental health and this just added to the depression, and I started to get anxious around food shopping and cooking to the point I gave up and went back to eggs on toast or cheap tins of soup because I knew I couldn’t get these wrong and I wouldn’t be wasting money. So thank you for this thread, I can finally tell myself it wasn’t me, it wasn’t my fault, and hopefully in future give cooking another go.
You so can. You’re the epitome of why this thread is actually necessary. She’s a bleeping scammer and this should be sent to her bloody publishers!!!

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 73
Im so glad you’re here, taking heart from this thread. I’m not a great cook, but I’m competent, and the soda bread failure really left me questioning whether I got something wrong. I had to go back and double check I’d used the right flour, I was going back over everything to think where I’d gone wrong. Luckily the canal allayed my fears and I took heart from others’ failures, in a nice way! I can’t imagine if you were going it alone with just her books for company. She really is a grade A bleep

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Maybe we should institute a rule of 3 tweaks max, or maybe even 2 or 1 as I feel fraus have been very generous correcting things as they go (not picking on you @Lucky Escape it just occurred to me as I read yours). That is despite them apparently having little chance of improving the outcome or it going from inedible to edible, but that would at least keep us strict and in the spirit of sticking to the recipes as written. Thoughts?

I'd argue for 1 tweak allowed, excluding minor ingredient substitutions. That's on the grounds that reporting "I followed the recipe but changed this, this and this" is overly generous.
I deliberately didn't alter anything as I wanted it to be exactly as she planned (?) it to be!

I'm very sorry to read this, it genuinely upsets me that you felt they way because of her sheer greed and laziness - her recipes not working was not your fault. i feel I am right to be angry about that sloppy mess I made earlier (I refuse to call it cake).

The Delia smith cookery course, or Nigel Slater real fast food series would have been much more useful as you would have been able to cook simple, nourishing food from recipes that work!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 50

I would only "tweak" something that was an obvious misprint eg "2 tbsp salt" , and even then make a note as this is about Jack's actual recipes as published.

Reactions: 25
Ninnies, I have just been on my performative shop for ingredients in the Beery Berry Crumble. Sadly the liquor store I visited seems to have a clerk that pays less attention than Jack to labels and directions; to wit, none of the single serve tins in the sections labeled "porter" were actually porter or even stout. I compensated by purchasing a locally made dark ale with a most appropriate name: Sneaky Weasel. Slopalong cooking adventure to come.
maybe you could rename it sneaky weasel crumble?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I am veering between finding this thread howlingly funny and absolutely enraging.

How many people have been demoralised and had their money wasted like @MrsMop82 ?

It‘s Potemkin village cookery, all done for show but everyone understands that of course you don’t actually eat it. The recipes are just so WRONG, in conception, execution and outcome. I had no idea just how wrong till now!

I will confess that in the dim and distant past I cooked the kidney bean carrot and cumin burgers. I quite liked them, but only after I modified the recipe so it held together and tasted good. I’m a confident cook and not skint, so that’s fine, but I am furious to think of how it goes when people aren’t.

It’s a close call as to whether the grifting and potential fraud is worse than the apparent fact that the foundation of the whole thing is an absolute farce from go to whoa.

Anyway, chapeau to the cooks! Comedy and social commentary, with bonus tit tattooes and spice lines ::chefs kiss::

• Heart
Reactions: 40
My oh took me out for a carvery to help me get over it, I'm back home having a mug of tea and a piece of my home made parkin, he did say he almost brought me some of the slop cake but it looked so vile he couldn't face it. Now he's asking what I will do with it as to just throw it away would be a waste so I asked if he wanted some? Strangely enough he refused

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
I’m sorry you went through such a difficult time, and I’m sorrier that Jack’s tit recipes made you feel bad for yourself.
There’s lots of cookery books out there - the market is saturated with them, if I’m honest.
Perhaps have a look on bbc good food (that’s the one Jack isn’t on) and find something straightforward enough that it doesn’t put you off, and won’t harm your pocket. For all he’s mentioned on these threads, it is worth saying again that a lot of Jamie Oliver’s recipes are really good. Nigel Slater is another one. His food is, to my taste, really comforting.
Wishing you well, and thanks for sharing xxx

So I just tried eggy cup and need to calm down before posting, absolutely FEWMIN 😤
Be careful what you say here.
Remember, this is my breakfast two days a week. In fact, I’ll post pics tomorrow.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.