Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’re all mental and I love you for it (I’m not joining in).

I think there should be a penalty if someone makes something good…only joking!!

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Ninnies, I have just been on my performative shop for ingredients in the Beery Berry Crumble. Sadly the liquor store I visited seems to have a clerk that pays less attention than Jack to labels and directions; to wit, none of the single serve tins in the sections labeled "porter" were actually porter or even stout. I compensated by purchasing a locally made dark ale with a most appropriate name: Sneaky Weasel. Slopalong cooking adventure to come.

• Haha
Reactions: 54
Just glancing at that photo I thought it was the top of the (perhaps silicone?) pan, and that was the part of the loaf that had risen over the edges. But no, that's the entire loaf.

You people are my heroes.
I thought the same thing! It's just so sad and small 😂

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
If you say you're veggie/vegan you can have sprout scones, no questions asked

Has anyone volunteered the sprout scones yet @That Forensic Man ? If not I'll do it. I love sprouts but this abomination needs scrutiny.

Ahh I see @Falkor has already taken the baton for that one. 😪

Had anyone any similar recommendations. My Harold is on holiday next week so I'll make something then. I'm willing to give anything veggie a try 👍

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Every time a new slop is posted I feel a little frisson of excitement!
Excellent work. Question is, is it 1- rank or 2- terrible?
Definitely bleeping rank!
*bangs cake pop gavel* 👨‍⚖️
A rating of 1 constitutes a truly DIRE slop tender ones x
@People-huv-tae-know very well slopped, chapeau!

Has anyone volunteered the sprout scones yet @That Forensic Man ? If not I'll do it. I love sprouts but this abomination needs scrutiny.
A recent entry from *checks notes* @Falkor snapped up sprout scones dear heart. There's no harm in testing such a novel recipe twice though.
ETA I would also be keen to see the results of Jacket Beetato

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
The slop slinging mood struck and I've gone and made the Vegetable Peelings Loaf.

Join me on my first ever Jack Monroe cooking adventure. I'm so excited!

Ingredients carefully gathered, I'm all set to get a-slopping!

View attachment 1706939

duck me, how many peelings?

View attachment 1706945
OK, so I get busy with the blending business, mmm, every time I heave the blender out to let it come up for air, I'm treated to a deliciously reverberating slluurrrppp sound. The sound you only normally hear when unblocking a drain. A sign of slop to come perhaps? Let's see! My blender keeps getting stuck in the swampy soup. Is it trying to tell me something?

View attachment 1706957

Yes it is. The whole thing has become a puree! Where did I go wrong? Could it be that two apples and a large onion are just too heckin wet to give a damn about binding with vegetable peelings?

The mix is mixed. I'm like Betty Boo Doin the Doo:
View attachment 1706977

I'm super excited about this next stage - pulsing the bread, chickpeas, the egg, the cheese and all the tasty seasoning as it'll no doubt add some essential heft into the runny brew. Oh look, the chickpea liquid goes in too, because more wet stuff is exactly what this recipe needs. Fraus, Herren, I'm starting to worry:

View attachment 1706986

Next stage... I see mention made to "lightly grease" a loaf Tin. Hold up, there's no mention of grease being needed in the recipe. Do you think I'm made of money and have grease on tap?

I press it into my oven dish. You know when you make papier mache and it's just a bit too wet and you know you need more torn up newspaper? Hmm, yes,that...

View attachment 1706996
I'm cooking the whole mixture in one go as I make the executive decision this is a one-and-done dish. So, into the oven it goes:

View attachment 1706999
Exactly one hour is up! Time to reveal the loaf in all its glory!

View attachment 1707031

I'm going in...

View attachment 1707032

It smells like stuffing. I like stuffing.
It tastes... there's a taste of something, surely? Nope. A hint of something earthy, but not quite perceptible. It tastes of wet slop. It goes down like wet slop. I now need a solid slab of toast to eradicate the memory. With it being bonfire night, should anyone need something to dampen down some flames, I have just the thing.

Score: 1. Dire.
Nahhh I'm most traumatised by this particular slop so far. Why does it look like the cooking step never happened?! A splat of Pedigree Chum would be more appealing!

• Haha
Reactions: 34
ETA I would also be keen to see the results of Jacket Beetato
Was looking into veggie recipes/beetato again and found @AndrewsDaddy noticed this is a fuel-heavy recipe, a single beetroot in the oven for 1hr 15mins, what the hell man. But it's ok I have a thrifty tip, save money on your gas bill by cooking individual beetroots at your girlfriend's house 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Roasted/oven baked beetroots is nothing novel or new, beetroot served with creamy/yoghurty things is nothing new. I’ve been vegetarian for 37 years and served ALL MANNER of awful tit but seeing her suggestion of putting baked beans on a roasted beetroot has made a little bit of sick enter my mouth.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 51
Stand by. Phase one of the Mel Donte pineapple upside down chicken is on its way as soon as I've had my second coffee and a shower. Might need another shower afterwards if it makes me feel soiled 🤔.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
I just can’t understand how she seems to consider everything she cooks as “the best” “ultimate” “can’t get enough” 😳 (and she dated a chef!!!) does J1g impair your palate or something? Does she actually think she is good at cooking or is she trying to convince herself? It truly baffles me Fraus 😵💫

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I would pay good money to watch Paul Hollywood read this recipe and the guff she’s talking about with regards to dough. Those sprouts are going to be totally raw 🤢
That was my and Mr F's conclusion this morning when I told him I was making them (he's the cook in the house, I am rubbish). I've been told that I'm making them next week while he's away!!

• Haha
I just can’t understand how she seems to consider everything she cooks as “the best” “ultimate” “can’t get enough” 😳 (and she dated a chef!!!) does J1g impair your palate or something? Does she actually think she is good at cooking or is she trying to convince herself? It truly baffles me Fraus 😵💫
Err… she cooked for Mary Portas, don’t you know? Absolute PROOF that she is the chefiest of all the chefs.

WARNED

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I've had a crappy week and this thread is giving me life. I woke up obscenely early this morning and came here for a grunk, only to have to leave my lovely warm bed for fear of disturbing my Old Harold with all the fizzing and hooting. So I adjourned to the sofa with the dog, who has discerning tastes and would not touch any of the slop.

The use of props has been outstanding. The ring binders, the biro tats, the line of white powder, the spoooooons! You are wonderful ninnies and I love you all.

One thing that has jumped out at me from looking through all these recipes is her obsession with lemon juice. What's with that? Lemon juice (fresh, not bottled!) can be an excellent flavour enhancer, of course, but she seems to chuck it into everything and anything.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Microwave mac’n’cheese appealed to me because of its simplicity. There’s even a helpful video on the BBC goodfood website where Jack takes a burning greasy mug out of the microwave and explains to the concerned presenter that she has ‘asbestos fingers’. Then she tries to move the mug using a piece of kitchen towel. Anyway, I digress.

View attachment 1707070
I used penne instead of macaroni (allowed) and an old piece of Comté instead of cheddar (my own substitution). Other than that you need chicken stock, Marmite or spinach, and butter. The recipe says you need a large mug, so there was only one option here; to clean out the Sports Direct mug which normally holds my printer ink cartridges.

View attachment 1707082
A rather complex process follows where you put the pasta and stock in the mug, cover it in cling film with a container or bowl under it, and blast it repeatedly in the microwave for 2 mins each time, until cooked. But here’s the twist: the recipe says that after every burst you need to take off the cling film, and pour the overflowed boiling greasy stock from the container back into the burning mug.

View attachment 1707094
After three bursts of 2 mins, the pasta was still on the hard side of al dente but I’d had enough of the palaver of transferring the hot liquid.

View attachment 1707108
Stirring in the cheese, butter and Marmite turns it into a gloopy mess, but to be fair that’s normal for mac’n’cheese. With the Marmite it was incredibly salty, and I could only eat 3 spoonfuls. It might have been better with spinach. I’ve since drunk two pints of water as I felt I needed to flush out my system.

(There’s also a work slop version, where you pre-soak the pasta in stock and take the cheese, oil instead of butter, and spinach or Marmite in a separate container, to cook in your office microwave. This process wouldn’t have gone down well in my office. But it’s not going to happen).

Verdict: 2 = terrible. It would have been less of a health and safety issue, and much less messy, to cook it in a saucepan. This thread is very entertaining and well organised, and as a tribute I will donate £20 worth of food to my local food bank.
It’s probably a bit gauche to quote one’s own post but I decided to rescue the Sports Direct mug this morning after it had spent a night in the fridge. As the canal can see in the photo, I hadn’t fully mixed in the Marmite or the cheese. I often heat leftovers up from the day before - I’m sorry, I just can’t.

It looks like a chemistry experiment in a petri dish.

ETA correct spelling of petri, it’s been decades

CA4F0E36-6047-4E7D-8D58-DFDA7E7F7A87.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 83
Beery Berry Crumble. Oh dear.

My first clue that this was not going to go well: the picture in the instructions showed a long rectangular baking dish, while the instructions said "a deep ovenproof baking dish around 20cm in diameter". As I had neither a rectangular or round dish, I went with a deep square dish with 20 cm sides.

My big shop consisted of a tin of Sneaky Weasel strong lager (had to sub in for porter or stout as no single tins of either were available), a bag of frozen berries, and two large apples. The recipe said "frozen or fresh berries", and as we know, all berries have the same taste and texture and are interchangeable in recipes :rolleyes:. I went for a bag of frozen diced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and peaches.

Everything else in the recipe I had on hand, in my forensically organized stock cupboard (I make crisps and crumbles quite often). Cost of the shop was £1.89 for the beer, £5.86 for the frozen fruit, and £1 for the apples.

The biggest excitement of my shop was that when I arrived at the supermarket, there were three police cars outside and a bunch of policemen were arresting a shoplifter. Then when I was leaving, the same policemen were there, arresting a different shoplifter. Given the geographic distance I doubt this was the Essex Celebrity Squad, but you never know.

ingredients.jpg

Nowhere in the recipe does it say to defrost the berries, if you are using frozen berries. I left the bag on the counter for an hour.

The first step is to chop the apples, dump them in a saucepan, add the berries and a tablespoon of sugar, and top it with the beer. This produces a nasty-looking mess that smells absolutely vile. The recipe neglects to mention the vital step of actually mixing all of this together, but I took the daring step of doing just that.
berries in pan.jpg

The instructions say to bring this evil concoction to a boil, "watching carefully as beer can get a bit excitable when heated". I had zero idea of what excited beer looks like. But I can now tell you that when mixed with fruit, it produces a pink foam that looks like some kind of ladies' "personal care" product from the 1970s.

foam.jpg

This was then left to simmer, while I went on to the next step: the topping.

The topping has the standard ingredients for a crisp or crumble topping: flour, butter, sugar, and oats. The recipe doesn't specify which kinds of oats to use, which is important in this type of dish (don't ask me how I know this 🤨). I used quick-cooking oats which is one of the kinds that will work. What rapidly became apparent, as I worked the butter into the rest of the ingredients, was that there was far too little butter to make a proper topping. The recipe says the butter should be worked into the ingredients until the mixture resembles "fine breadcrumbs". After 10 mins of mixing, it looked like......light brown flour with a few random flecks of butter.

Also, most crisps or crumbles have cinnamon or nutmeg in the topping, to punch the flavour up. But despite the 10,000-odd spice containers in Jack's spendy kitchen, there are no spices in this recipe.

I knew that more mixing was not going to improve the topping. There just wasn't enough butter in it. But I had to follow the recipe, so on to the next step.

The recipe says to scoop the fruit out of the boiled beery sauce, put the fruit in the baking dish, and spread the topping on it. The fruit barely filled up one-third of the height of the "deep" baking dish. If Jack really made her recipe in the dish in the photo, there would hardly be enough fruit to cover the entire bottom. But then when I added the topping....there was too much. If I had put it all in, it would have been tumbling over the sides of the dish in the oven. So the proportion of fruit to topping is seriously out of whack.

Here's what went into the oven
dish.jpg

and here's what was left behind. A substantial amount of topping and a saucepan of beery fruit juice. I fished a leftover blueberry out of the saucepan, and it tasted so sour I had to wash my mouth out with some water.
I won't comment on the absurdity of "budget" cooking leaving this much unused......
leftover.jpg

The instructions were to bake at 180c for 30 minutes "or until the top is golden and crisp". There was absolutely no way the topping was going to turn out "crisp" unless the kitchen caught on fire. So I gave it 35 minutes, keeping in mind that my oven tends to run a bit hot. After 35 minutes the top was somewhat browner and the fruit was bubbling, but I could still draw my finger through the topping like drawing a line in sand.

baked.jpg

I couldn't be arsed to get any fancy wallpaper for the beauty shot, so here's a bowl of the finished product, sitting on some old brown parcel paper that was lying around. Not a Jack-size spoon but an actual teaspoon.

serving.jpg

My OH and I had one spoonful each, and that was more than enough. The fruit reeked of beer, was mushy, and tasted horrid, and the topping was completely dry. I'm very grateful that my OH didn't LEAVE after this.

The final resting place of the entire sorry mess, in a composting bag. I hope the alcohol in the beer will help everything return to the earth from whence it came.

bag.jpg

The verdict: I can pretty much guarantee that no one tested this recipe, because the proportions of both parts are way out of whack. And I really don't want to know what was going on in Jack's head to make her think that beer and berries would taste good together, much less boiled together.

My rating: HELL NO. Vile = 1.

I would like to add that although the Slopalong is great fun, making this recipe made me really angry. A crisp or crumble is very simple to create, and it doesn't have to cost a lot. Jack is supposedly helping people with limited budgets, and this recipe was so bad that all of it ended up in the compost. Not a bit of it was salveageable or edible. If someone had spent part of their weekly shopping money on this, even when fresh fruit was in season and maybe a bit cheaper, they would have wasted every penny of that spend. Jack isn't just a pov cosplayer, she's giving vulnerable people really crappy advice and actually *costing* them money rather than saving it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 126
All you SLOPSTARS - utterly amazing work!

You've really laid down the gauntlet. I'm not sure when I'll do mine, it might have to be next week. I'm trying to do it furtively ;)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.