Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The slop slinging mood struck and I've gone and made the Vegetable Peelings Loaf.

Join me on my first ever Jack Monroe cooking adventure. I'm so excited!

Ingredients carefully gathered, I'm all set to get a-slopping!

View attachment 1706939

duck me, how many peelings?

View attachment 1706945
OK, so I get busy with the blending business, mmm, every time I heave the blender out to let it come up for air, I'm treated to a deliciously reverberating slluurrrppp sound. The sound you only normally hear when unblocking a drain. A sign of slop to come perhaps? Let's see! My blender keeps getting stuck in the swampy soup. Is it trying to tell me something?

View attachment 1706957

Yes it is. The whole thing has become a puree! Where did I go wrong? Could it be that two apples and a large onion are just too heckin wet to give a damn about binding with vegetable peelings?

The mix is mixed. I'm like Betty Boo Doin the Doo:
View attachment 1706977

I'm super excited about this next stage - pulsing the bread, chickpeas, the egg, the cheese and all the tasty seasoning as it'll no doubt add some essential heft into the runny brew. Oh look, the chickpea liquid goes in too, because more wet stuff is exactly what this recipe needs. Fraus, Herren, I'm starting to worry:

View attachment 1706986

Next stage... I see mention made to "lightly grease" a loaf Tin. Hold up, there's no mention of grease being needed in the recipe. Do you think I'm made of money and have grease on tap?

I press it into my oven dish. You know when you make papier mache and it's just a bit too wet and you know you need more torn up newspaper? Hmm, yes,that...

View attachment 1706996
I'm cooking the whole mixture in one go as I make the executive decision this is a one-and-done dish. So, into the oven it goes:

View attachment 1706999
Exactly one hour is up! Time to reveal the loaf in all its glory!

View attachment 1707031

I'm going in...

View attachment 1707032

It smells like stuffing. I like stuffing.
It tastes... there's a taste of something, surely? Nope. A hint of something earthy, but not quite perceptible. It tastes of wet slop. It goes down like wet slop. I now need a solid slab of toast to eradicate the memory. With it being bonfire night, should anyone need something to dampen down some flames, I have just the thing.

Score: 1. Dire.

Absolutely vile. One hell of a slop to sling, chapeau!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Lads, I did it. I made the soda bread.

I already had the ingredients, apologies for the slightly spenny ‘organic’ flour and milk (organic is a word that is not in Jack’s lexicon, I feel).

View attachment 1706815My only complaints were that she way overestimated the amount of milk/lemon juice mixture by almost a third, which meant I threw some away. Not thrift approved behaviour. Also, I missed the part where it said you could add salt for more flavour because it was buried in the purple prose that preceded the recipe and frankly, when I’m making food it’s because I’m interested in food not your bleeping life story.

Anyway, the dough came together ok. All going surprisingly well so far.

View attachment 1706819

Exactly 40 minutes later, it came out of the oven looking not too bad. I was planning my unbelievably controversial mea culpa, ready to hold my hands up and admit it wasn’t at all bad.
View attachment 1706825

BUT THEN…I caught a whiff of lingering honk! The loaf smelled like fish. I bravely ploughed on and cut into it (not easy, it’s pretty solid) and I tasted it. If it weren’t for the weird fishy taste, it would have had all the taste of thin air on sliced cardboard. Diabolical. Clever Fraus, was the honk the result of too much bicarb, on top of SR flour? Not that it really matters, even if the taste was ok it had the consistency of a brick. Thankfully, I gave some to the various animals I have, so it wasn’t entirely wasted but I would be furious if I had to bin it.

For anyone thinking of trying this, please save your time and money. I’ve taken one for the team so you don’t have to. Go well x
I’ll look out a proper soda bread recipe as an NI frau as when made correctly it is a lovely quick bread for a low budget and is great fresh with butter or toasted with jam or cheese or used fried for an Ulster fry. I don’t want anyone thinking soda bread is tit because if done correctly it can be a thing of beauty.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I’ll look out a proper soda bread recipe as an NI frau as when made correctly it is a lovely quick bread for a low budget and is great fresh with butter or toasted with jam or cheese or used fried for an Ulster fry. I don’t want anyone thinking soda bread is tit because if done correctly it can be a thing of beauty.
I love a good soda bread!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
duck me this thread should be prescribed by doctors, you're all hilarious 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Microwave mac’n’cheese appealed to me because of its simplicity. There’s even a helpful video on the BBC goodfood website where Jack takes a burning greasy mug out of the microwave and explains to the concerned presenter that she has ‘asbestos fingers’. Then she tries to move the mug using a piece of kitchen towel. Anyway, I digress.

D8EE10CF-0153-43CA-A24E-3FC34DFAAFD9.jpeg

I used penne instead of macaroni (allowed) and an old piece of Comté instead of cheddar (my own substitution). Other than that you need chicken stock, Marmite or spinach, and butter. The recipe says you need a large mug, so there was only one option here; to clean out the Sports Direct mug which normally holds my printer ink cartridges.

C92F7B11-3062-4563-B82D-4EE240BCBA29.jpeg

A rather complex process follows where you put the pasta and stock in the mug, cover it in cling film with a container or bowl under it, and blast it repeatedly in the microwave for 2 mins each time, until cooked. But here’s the twist: the recipe says that after every burst you need to take off the cling film, and pour the overflowed boiling greasy stock from the container back into the burning mug.

CEB180F0-6337-41F0-A53C-74E4C0DFCAE2.jpeg

After three bursts of 2 mins, the pasta was still on the hard side of al dente but I’d had enough of the palaver of transferring the hot liquid.

C0CA9BC1-2202-4818-974D-EDB528E6F3C3.jpeg

Stirring in the cheese, butter and Marmite turns it into a gloopy mess, but to be fair that’s normal for mac’n’cheese. With the Marmite it was incredibly salty, and I could only eat 3 spoonfuls. It might have been better with spinach. I’ve since drunk two pints of water as I felt I needed to flush out my system.

(There’s also a work slop version, where you pre-soak the pasta in stock and take the cheese, oil instead of butter, and spinach or Marmite in a separate container, to cook in your office microwave. This process wouldn’t have gone down well in my office. But it’s not going to happen).

Verdict: 2 = terrible. It would have been less of a health and safety issue, and much less messy, to cook it in a saucepan. This thread is very entertaining and well organised, and as a tribute I will donate £20 worth of food to my local food bank.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 119
Gonna have a go at the rinsed hoops sometime this week ... results expected disgusting but can Jack prove me wrong?

Reactions: 25
The slop slinging mood struck and I've gone and made the Vegetable Peelings Loaf.

View attachment 1706939

View attachment 1706945
OK, so I get busy with the blending business, mmm, every time I heave the blender out to let it come up for air, I'm treated to a deliciously reverberating slluurrrppp sound. The sound you only normally hear when unblocking a drain. A sign of slop to come perhaps? Let's see! My blender keeps getting stuck in the swampy soup. Is it trying to tell me something?

View attachment 1706957

Yes it is. The whole thing has become a puree! Where did I go wrong? Could it be that two apples and a large onion are just too heckin wet to give a damn about binding with vegetable peelings?

View attachment 1706977

I'm super excited about this next stage - pulsing the bread, chickpeas, the egg, the cheese and all the tasty seasoning as it'll no doubt add some essential heft into the runny brew. Oh look, the chickpea liquid goes in too, because more wet stuff is exactly what this recipe needs. Fraus, Herren, I'm starting to worry:

View attachment 1706986

Next stage... I see mention made to "lightly grease" a loaf Tin. Hold up, there's no mention of grease being needed in the recipe. Do you think I'm made of money and have grease on tap?

I press it into my oven dish. You know when you make papier mache and it's just a bit too wet and you know you need more torn up newspaper? Hmm, yes,that...

View attachment 1706996
I'm cooking the whole mixture in one go as I make the executive decision this is a one-and-done dish. So, into the oven it goes:

View attachment 1706999

View attachment 1707031

I'm going in...

View attachment 1707032

It tastes... there's a taste of something, surely? Nope. A hint of something earthy, but not quite perceptible. It tastes of wet slop. It goes down like wet slop. I now need a solid slab of toast to eradicate the memory. With it being bonfire night, should anyone need something to dampen down some flames, I have just the thing.

You deserve an MBE for services to slop. And that drawn on tattoo was bleeping perfection.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Jack's "bravas" may provoke a minor aneurysm here. She hasn't actually made any kind of salsa brava, she's just used...oil. And then she has the audacity to claim that traditional recipes make a special chilli oil weeks in advance? No they don't, traditional recipes make a bleeping salsa brava. It's literally in the name of the dish.

Like, even the shittiest bar in the whole peninsula wouldn't get away with serving you a dish of oily potatoes. duck off Jack.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Love love loving the vegetable peelings and macaroni cheese adventures. Well done! That vegetable peelings loaf is going to haunt my nightmares.

• Haha
Reactions: 37

View attachment 1706939

View attachment 1706945

View attachment 1706957

View attachment 1706977

View attachment 1706986

View attachment 1706996

View attachment 1706999

View attachment 1707031

I'm going in...

View attachment 1707032

That recipe has to be illegal under the Geneva Convention, surely? Thankspaceyou for your service to slop.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Jack's "bravas" may provoke a minor aneurysm here. She hasn't actually made any kind of salsa brava, she's just used...oil. And then she has the audacity to claim that traditional recipes make a special chilli oil weeks in advance? No they don't, traditional recipes make a bleeping salsa brava. It's literally in the name of the dish.

Like, even the shittiest bar in the whole peninsula wouldn't get away with serving you a dish of oily potatoes. duck off Jack.
Part Spanish Frau here 🔺, and I have spent many years seeking out the perfect patatas bravas. Hers are not worthy of the name.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Guten Abend Frauen,
Apparently a symptom of covid is nausea so I have been bed-bound today. I am hoping to be feeling well enough tomorrow to join in on the slopalong!

Hermann would like to know if we would like a German review (brutally honest with no holding back) or a slightly modified, more polite, British version? I haven't mentioned the slopalong, I have sold it rather as a scientific experiment, which he is very much on board with!

Have just been catching up with your attempts, nothing looks like my stomach could handle it right now! Thank(space)you for all your efforts!
Definitely a German review. I always look at the German reviews on Amazon. They tell me everything I need to know.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Oh, and I won’t be making arancini with the leftover risotto as it just won’t hold together. I hate wasting food but it’s going in the compost bin.

And my house still smells of rank boiled onions.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 53

View attachment 1706939

View attachment 1706945

View attachment 1706957

View attachment 1706977

View attachment 1706986

View attachment 1706996

View attachment 1706999

View attachment 1707031

I'm going in...

View attachment 1707032

Jeez. Is this the abomination she served for vegetarians at Christmas? And everyone clapped?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Point 1: 40⁰ wil kill the yeast. It's *not* warm water.
Point 2: I would be interested to see how you knead a dough that has 500ml of coconut milk and a blitzed can of pineapple against 750g flour. Just saying, m'lud.😁
I cannot wait. Mr Beacon will be cooking while I bark instructions and do commentary. I am so intrigued to see what a half soda bread half yeasted bread comes out like. I suspect disgusting

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I cannot wait. Mr Beacon will be cooking while I bark instructions and do commentary. I am so intrigued to see what a half soda bread half yeasted bread comes out like. I suspect disgusting
Going to need a really detailed description of this one because I just don’t see how it works and I am super intrigued. Show us every step of what surely must be the sloppiest slop.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.