Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@VeniVidiVicki is this what you're looking for?

ETA here's the DKL method

Lovely man (are you a man?) I have those thank[space]you. In my determination to be fair, I thought I should try and see if the recipe appeared in a book especially as 1) the blog recipe does not list oil in the list of ingredients for the ragu and I was (probably naively) hopeful this obvious error would have been corrected in the print version; and 2) this recipe elicited some very angry responses from the squigs which I assumed were book related.

But I guess the squigs were just angry about the whole kickstarter debacle.

So I shall press on, using the ingredients in the recipe and the method from DKL.

I particularly love the bit in this ep of DKL when she implies Matt would be a bit handsy if it weren’t for social distancing and he is all WHAT THE duck??!!

here are the angry squigs (there are several posts from angry ‘this looks dire’ squig)

A733F9E6-5527-4684-98FD-63D31ABF1CAA.jpeg
83B971EF-ED0F-4F79-AF07-7B7C801C1717.jpeg

• Angry
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
That’s the first time I watched that. Genuinely thought she was putting sawdust in it…and did anyone see any trace of post oven spunk sauce because it looked like it had evaporated to me…!! 🤢
I thought it was a plate of milled linseed at first, one way to thicken it all up 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Lovely man (are you a man?) I have those thank[space]you. In my determination to be fair, I thought I should try and see if the recipe appeared in a book especially as 1) the blog recipe does not list oil in the list of ingredients for the ragu and I was (probably naively) hopeful this obvious error would have been corrected in the print version; and 2) this recipe elicited some very angry responses from the squigs which I assumed were book related.

But I guess the squigs were just angry about the whole kickstarter debacle.

So I shall press on, using the ingredients in the recipe and the method from DKL.

I particularly love the bit in this ep of DKL when she implies Matt would be a bit handsy if it weren’t for social distancing and he is all WHAT THE duck??!!

here are the angry squigs (there are several posts from angry ‘this looks dire’ squig)

View attachment 1704425View attachment 1704426
Her hands don't look as if she has arthritis. My sister is developing it in her hands and they're all knobbly looking. She S not actually in a lot of pain with them yet. She's a machinist and it hasn't stopped her at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Given that Jack's Black Forest Traybake just asks for "red jam", I'd be tempted to try it with this:

View attachment 1704278
Sadly I don't know any nearby Germans, or I'd invite them over for some authentic Black Forest tomato slop.
I have some beetroot in the fridge, I'm sure I could whip up some beetroot jam for this recipe?

I have primed Herman (I am giggling away to myself now at my, if I do say so myself, genius nickname for my OH) by telling him that I am going to make him a delicious cake, he is much looking forward to it. I will even provide a review in German (with translation!)

I think I will refrain from giving any to my SB because he's just about out of the fussy eater stage and I'm not willing to risk regression due to slop!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Her hands don't look as if she has arthritis. My sister is developing it in her hands and they're all knobbly looking. She S not actually in a lot of pain with them yet. She's a machinist and it hasn't stopped her at all.
I don’t know enough about arthritis to say but I do know it’s degenerative and I’m not seeing any evidence of that. it doesn’t seem to impact her much unless she’s playing for sympathy, that’s for sure.

Reactions: 31
🚨 RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON 🚨

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements ✍
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese

• Heart
Reactions: 18
@Kittypops is doing veg peeling loaf so I'm going to take on That Eggy Cup in tribute to @Notmycat for providing us with the book recipes, chapeau! 🍾
Can I just say, I eat chopped up boiled eggs in a cup with salt and butter twice a week for breakfast. If I hear a single critical word about it I will not be happy.
Though I would say I really can’t understand why Jack would say make 3 eggs and have leftovers. 2 for breakfast with a slice of toast is 🤌🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 22
🚨 RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON 🚨

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements ✍
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese
I’ve also volunteered somewhere along the line in a thread (it’s 100 hour work weeks to keep up with JM’s socials & threads!)

I am a procrastinator to the last so hereby nominate my absolute fave Frau @Geetbo to pick me some slop. Pls bear in mind tins are scarce to come by in PaddyLand (chicken/ beef in sauce & tinned spuds are lacking) but other than that, slop me up!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I’ve also volunteered somewhere along the line in a thread (it’s 100 hour work weeks to keep up with JM’s socials & threads!)

I am a procrastinator to the last so hereby nominate my absolute fave Frau @Geetbo to pick me some slop. Pls bear in mind tins are scarce to come by in PaddyLand (chicken/ beef in sauce & tinned spuds are lacking) but other than that, slop me up!!
Because flattery will get you everywhere, how about this?

looking at the ingredient list there is at least a 50% chance it will be edible.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I am FIZZING that this thread will have close to 100 examples of Jack's recipes being spectacularly bleeping tit. Decent sample size that.

'10 out of 10 home cooks would not recommend'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Because flattery will get you everywhere, how about this?

looking at the ingredient list there is at least a 50% chance it will be edible.
Ah for feck sake I’ve just done a mini stocktake and I have all of the ingredients! Righto, sign me up for this abomination. At least I’ll have half a pint of Guinness left to wash it down with.

Mind you… that’s if I can keep my (clean) mitts off them while I hover (wtf?!) over them inhaling the aroma. Ffs 🤢 she should write for Mills & Boon or something and take out her sexual frustrations on someone not looking to join in the fun and make some
bastard brownies

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
I’d love a recipe for a good flatbread, can you recommend one please?
Chef John's mountain bread (fiddly), Delia's pitta bread (works every time), Mrs. Beeton's naan. Want to try Jaime Oliver's flatbread, haven't yet. Don't bother with JM's 5 minute bread, it's disappointing.😊

Reactions: 16
Can I just say, I eat chopped up boiled eggs in a cup with salt and butter twice a week for breakfast. If I hear a single critical word about it I will not be happy.
Though I would say I really can’t understand why Jack would say make 3 eggs and have leftovers. 2 for breakfast with a slice of toast is 🤌🏻
This bodes well for my internal membranes 😌
I might also pick a more daring recipe for the full effect, pow! 👊

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.