Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of my favourite things is espinacas con garbanzos, so, if no one has already chosen it I'd like to do this spinach, chickpeas and bread , just to see how far off the original it it. I can tell from the photo that it's missing most of the spinach.

I feel I am duty bound to send this recipe to my Spanish friend for perusal... I know that she would say - first of all, it's SPINACH with garbanzo, not the other way around.😁

• Haha
Reactions: 15
@Notmycat @Captainmouse Thanks ninnies but it's not actually available on Irish Tesco unfortunately. Not really interested in taking a day trip up north for sloppy purposes 🤨🤔 Gonna have a look in a few other shops after work

@Veronicaaa Not sure if I should just use shredded chicken breast or if I should make a white sauce from scratch, add the chicken, then rinse off the sauce for full authenticity

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I feel I am duty bound to send this recipe to my Spanish friend for perusal... I know that she would say - first of all, it's SPINACH with garbanzo, not the other way around.😁
The real one is so delicious and really simple to make. It'll be interesting to see how far off the mark this is 😂

As I make it quite regularly and I used to post recipes on my blog, I will have a photo and ingredient list for the real thing for comparison. I may even try to do costings!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
just popping in to say I LOVE THIS THREAD because my biggest aneurysms are caused by jack’s complete and total ability to duck up every single dish she cooks. but unfortunately i can’t partake as like @Veronicaaa yucky food makes me cry.

saluting you brave pioneering fraus taking one for the team ✊

seeing all of these recipes together makes me fully convinced that she comes up with the stupid gimmicky recipe names first then slops together the ingredients after

Reactions: 42
The funniest thing is that I've never seen that recipe before, but I HAVE seen that instruction, so apparently it's Standard Jack to assume her idiot readers don't know what a well is, and to explain it every time.
i like the recipe where she explains to readers how to put spaghetti in a pot of hot water

• Haha
Reactions: 33
@Kittypops is doing veg peeeling loaf so I'm going to take on That Eggy Cup in tribute to @Notmycat for providing us with the book recipes, chapeau! 🍾
I need to atone for a lifetime of sins, so cooking and eating The Loaf may go some way towards that.

Will you actually be downing that four-egg monster, @That Forensic Man ? Got to admit, I'm a bit worried for you

🥚🥚🥚🥚 🥄 Four Eggs, One Spoon... sounds like some eye-bleach p*rn film

• Haha
Reactions: 27
@Notmycat @Captainmouse Thanks ninnies but it's not actually available on Irish Tesco unfortunately. Not really interested in taking a day trip up north for sloppy purposes 🤨🤔 Gonna have a look in a few other shops after work

@Veronicaaa Not sure if I should just use shredded chicken breast or if I should make a white sauce from scratch, add the chicken, then rinse off the sauce for full authenticity
is there an Irish version of trolley?

Reactions: 5

My youngest went through a phase of only eating Princes chicken in white sauce. Bleak times. I still have countless tins in the pantry, if you'd like me to send some over. I can however confirm that were you to make a white sauce and add shredded chicken breast it would be absolutely NOTHING LIKE WHAT COMES IN THE CAN.

WARNED, I guess.

My youngest went through a phase of only eating Princes chicken in white sauce. Bleak times. I still have countless tins in the pantry, if you'd like me to send some over. I can however confirm that were you to make a white sauce and add shredded chicken breast it would be absolutely NOTHING LIKE WHAT COMES IN THE CAN.

WARNED, I guess.
Twice in one day, like a [****]. I could equally rinse the sauce off for you and then send over the remnants in loosely-sealed Tupperware. Wouldn't that be nice? No extra charge for botulism.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
So when are others planning to do the slop-along? I'm going for Monday as i have groceries being delivered over the weekend but I have a couple of things to use up before that.

I'll upload my performative stock take list later and fart about online as part of my 100 hour week.
I will do mine early next week x

Reactions: 6
I cannot WAIT to read this entire thread after work!

I've decided I'm attempting Tin-estrone because I get to rinse both baked beans AND spaghetti hoops. Truly the opportunity of a lifetime.

View attachment 1701221
Until the beans have softened?! The point about baked beans is that you're just heating them through, Jack, you could eat them cold out of a tin if you were so inclined, or my mother 🔺

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Put me down for this monstrosity: Tuna, sweetcorn and mushroom pasta. "Comfortingly sloppy" is not how I want a tuna pasta bake to be described 🤢

I know on tattle we refer to her food as slop, but I wasn't expecting Jack herself to use the term quite so liberally when describing her own cooking!

Jack, you only need to add water to *condensed* soups. They were made specifically to be diluted and used in cooking. It's not some maverick your technique your mum has come up with. In the spirit of everything is interchangeable I SHANT be using condensed soup.

Attachments

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I can't find gram flour anywhere near me to do the rank Yorkshires 😭 might just end up subbing it for normal flour because I can't figure out why it's in there anyway. Maybe I'll use chickpea aquafaba instead of cannellini bean as a compromise. Probably Tuesday/Wednesday when Old Harold has gone back to Yorkshire. I only feel safe doing it alone on the other side of the pennines.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I need to atone for a lifetime of sins, so cooking and eating The Loaf may go some way towards that.

Will you actually be downing that four-egg monster, @That Forensic Man ? Got to admit, I'm a bit worried for you

🥚🥚🥚🥚 🥄 Four Eggs, One Spoon... sounds like some eye-bleach p*rn film
It's just eggs, butter, salt and pepper so what can go wrong, right? Hopefully inhaling it greedily will be gentle on my internal membranes.
I want to experience the eggiest of cups so SHAN'T be adding sauteed vegetables or raw onion 🙅‍♂️

@That Forensic Man I'm sending you thots and pears. You will probably need the pears to help your digestive system afterwards. God speed tender one.
Thank(space)you dear heart, and if not needed I can always microwave them for science 👨‍🔬

Go well, pals x

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.