Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Could I please see the book recipe for the Ultimate Moussaka from Vegan(ish) @Notmycat ? I feel I should compare and contrast with the blog recipe to be properly FORENSIC with my slop

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Whhhhhhy wouldn’t you fry the onions for that mince dish first? What does she have against onions to use them so cruelly?
It’s been said before but that simple joy of cooking down onions! The smell! The amount of times I’ve been asked ‘oooh what are you making?’ and it’s just the onions sweating down or leeks and onions and garlic. Mmm heaven! She surely loathes the onion most of all because she did a hateful portrait of one to prove it.
Why oh why doesn’t she advise people to invest in a bottle of balsamic to chuck in to caramelise? It’s a bit pricey but so versatile. She knows so little it’s infuriating!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Balsamic isn't even too expensive as Jack's beloved Asda has a bottle for £1.

Reactions: 21
@Smol Pixel Ultimate Moussaka
Thank you, dear heart. It is pretty much the same except for the removal of the confusing mug of water that you pop on the side and the addition of oven temp conversions.

I am dreading making her version of bechamel. And not even because of the removal of dairy, just because her method sounds so damn gross (sieve out any chunks 🤢).

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
1 aubergine? Oof the ratios there are painful. Why also only J1g’s as measurements? I like to know the conversion to oz because I was taught to cook by Delia and my Nan.
I hate moussaka (traditional) and it took me really wanting to try growing them to try eating them - such a beautiful plant. Now I really like them seasoned and roasted off with tomatoes and garlic etc in a cous-cous with plentiful dressing and feta and croutons. I still hate moussaka.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
That rice pudding has been pissing me off all day, every single part of it is wrong from ingredients to method. I've wtf'd so much I think I turned into Jay (Dogma not Rayner).

• Haha
Reactions: 24
1 aubergine? Oof the ratios there are painful. Why also only J1g’s as measurements? I like to know the conversion to oz because I was taught to cook by Delia and my Nan.
I hate moussaka (traditional) and it took me really wanting to try growing them to try eating them - such a beautiful plant. Now I really like them seasoned and roasted off with tomatoes and garlic etc in a cous-cous with plentiful dressing and feta and croutons. I still hate moussaka.
Divide by 25 (it's 28.4 really but proportions still work out) so for 250ml use 10 fluid oz, for 50g use 2oz.
(Except in usa where fluid oz are a different size and pints have 16 not 20 of them)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Divide by 25 (it's 28.4 really but proportions still work out) so for 250ml use 10 fluid oz, for 50g use 2oz.
(Except in usa where fluid oz are a different size and pints have 16 not 20 of them)
Thankspaceyou dear one! I do roughly know them in my head just through years of repetition but I feel like it’s good practice in a recipe book to list both as standard. I have a baking book that must be American as it uses cups throughout. Had to go and buy a set of measuring cups to save the hassle of working out each time which cup equated to however many grams/oz. 😂 I still bake in ounces mostly because that’s just how I learned and it’s so easy then to size the recipe up or down.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thankspaceyou dear one! I do roughly know them in my head just through years of repetition but I feel like it’s good practice in a recipe book to list both as standard. I have a baking book that must be American as it uses cups throughout. Had to go and buy a set of measuring cups to save the hassle of working out each time which cup equated to however many grams/oz. 😂 I still bake in ounces mostly because that’s just how I learned and it’s so easy then to size the recipe up or down.
Sorry :( I still think in imperial too for baking at least. US cup recipes do my head in, as everything has a different density so a cup of sugar doesn't weigh the same as a cup of flour etc, I did have a set of "cups" but they somehow ended up all over the house- in the toybox, propping up a bookshelf etc idefk.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Good god. Any recipe where the word ‘sloppy’ is used twice cannot be a good one.

Except sloppy joes. But even then it should only be used in the title.

I feel like ‘dense yet sloppy’ could be used to describe her brain and ‘loose and sloppy’ is…something else…a pumble shot that is just thighs perhaps?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Oh my days... Best catch up ever! Epic.

Special mention to @HaveTinCanRattle for setting the bar so high with the photo staging. The crappy hand tatt was perfection.
I kind of want all the sloppers to do crappy hand tatts 😆

And of course @Notmycat for supplying the canal with the all recipes for the monstrosities we shall create.

I was going to gawp from the sidelines but the dizzying array of possibilities is too much to resist.
May I please have the recipe for the vegan millefeuille? There is no bleeping way she knows how to make a millefeuille, let alone a vegan one.
I'd also like to try the Tiramifu as a backup (how bad could it possibly be?).

I was also surprised to see a vegan Klingon Gagh. (Star Trek 4 life ❤)
That sounded quite creative and inventive from our smol goblin. So I googled it and she 100% stole that recipe.
Surprise bleeping surprise. The brass neck on this one, I swear.

@Slop n slide rhubarb and custard pancakes
For a brief moment I thought that was the name of the recipe, it just made total sense: Slop n slide rhubarb and custard pancakes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Sorry :( I still think in imperial too for baking at least. US cup recipes do my head in, as everything has a different density so a cup of sugar doesn't weigh the same as a cup of flour etc, I did have a set of "cups" but they somehow ended up all over the house- in the toybox, propping up a bookshelf etc idefk.
No sorries needed! I love that about this place! All the facts! ❤ Yeah the cups are gathering dust along with the silicone cake-pop moulds I bought in a fit of middle aisle madness. They would be very good for when the grand-baby visits though!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.