Jack Monroe #404 Stick to washing spaghetti love

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, in the spirit of scientific inquiry, I felt the need to experiment with "ripening" fruit in the microwave this morning. Despite the grape fires available on YouTube, I felt Sunday required some excitement.

27 August
Tweet 1: You can ripen fruit in the microwave on the defrost setting (I know that’s not the point of your tweet, but I thought it might be useful to know)
Tweet 2: Best if you wrap it in a brown paper bag first then microwave it on high for a minute, then defrost for a couple. Works for pears, plums, bananas and avocadoes in my experience! (Not tried anything else yet)
Tweet 3: Pears, plums, peaches, avocados, bananas, basically most if not all stone fruits plus our little yellow bendy friends. Microwave on high for a minute to kickstart, then on defrost setting for a few mins. Works a treat!

I followed Jack's advice with a plum.

I did not have a paper bag handy, so wrapped my victim in baking paper.
It was a firm little bastard, so I felt a good subject for ripening.

I attempted microwaving it on high for a minute. After a few seconds there was a little pop so I stopped it and checked - the skin had split. I nearly called it off there, as I was wondering what in hell I am doing with my life, but no, I continued.

After a minute elapsed, out it came, looking like this:
1664108142721.png

Hmm, thought I, I don't think I will carry on with her instructions and defrost it for a couple of minutes more, I think it has suffered enough.

In a taste test with an unmicrowaved plum and a microwaved plum, the unmicrowaved plum tasted like raw plum and the microwaved plum tasted like cooked plum.

Perhaps, I considered, if I didn't bother with the "kickstart" it would work better, so another plum went into the microwave to try the defrosting technique.

It came out like this, with the stone peeping out shyly:
1664108458873.png

So, um, there you go. Microwaving fruit (or at least plums) results in what I would describe as cooked/semi-exploded fruit.

(One of the squigs in the thread suggested pricking the skin, but because I didn't see JM recommend it, I left it out.)

Thank you for your time.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 180
I think I may have said Jack Monroe one too many times and summoned something awful. Anyway, if you don't fancy a roast today I've just been offered up this monstrosity over on my Instagram feed. Reminded me of Jack for some reason. I've seen it so you all have to see it too. Happy Sunday, ninnies!
Finally, this looks like Georgia Church Suppers meets Georgian cuisine (or a hotdog bluetoothed into a hachapuri).

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Fraus, I have a hard time posting here because I'm always behind. I gave her money through PayPal which I will never see again. I'm a soft person who believes in others hardships online, until this. I feel utterly conned and listening to JM's testimonials only cements that. I want my money back which never happened, let's face it.
I’m so sorry that your kindness was exploited like this. Did you try to contact her about it?
I feel bad for asking this, but do you have proof and would you be willing to share it with the group? And also, at what point in the grift did you kindly hand over your hard earned money?

never feel silly - you were conned. Many fraus on here bought into her brand before seeing the light. Nobody here will laugh at you for displaying kindness to someone you thought was in need.

if I’ve learnt anything over the past few months, it’s charity truly does begin at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Ohh I would not want to be on Sophie Corcoran’s hit list! Surely this will get the attention the issue deserves!

• Wow
Reactions: 40
We've just got to the pina colada bread, which uses SELF RAISING FLOUR and also yeast??? What the actual duck? She does not understand baking at all - you either make soda bread with soft flour and baking soda/acid (ie sr flour and pineapple juice) and it doesn't need kneading or rising OR you use yeast and a harder bread flour, as you need the structure from the gluten.

Sample commentary
"That's disgusting"
"bleeping hell"
"Why does everything go in the blender?"
"What the duck?"
"That is NOT orange juice"
"She does not understand onions at all"

• Haha
Reactions: 83
Be interesting to see if any anti-Jack posters have the same agent, just as United send in their clients with a cuddle tweet. Then we know it is happening. The Great Takedown.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
second, why does she tell the doctor ‘the more the merrier’ when talking about people in the frugal cooking world, but spits venom at THAT MAN for doing it?
As a linguistic frau, I would guess this is a phrase she was trained to trot out with a smile, while inwardly seething, during her formative years.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
I don’t know who she is so I’ll take fellow fraus word for it that she’s not a good person, but that last line is very, very cleverly worded and I hope it’s not just dismissed because the tweeter isn’t a great person.
I think it's interesting she's tagged Jack in, as though she's wanting her to respond. Lots of replies too, so Jack can't exactly pretend she hasn't seen it. But what can she possibly say?

• Haha
Reactions: 62
I think it's interesting she's tagged Jack in, as though she's wanting her to respond. Lots of replies too, so Jack can't exactly pretend she hasn't seen it. But what can she possibly say?
White wing, bullying, GBbeebies, Tory etc

• Haha
Reactions: 45
As it will be a verified purchase, I hope he leaves a review!
That sent me over to Amazon to read the reviews. Sadly too many sycophantic 5 star ones for my liking, but enough 1 and 2 stars to amuse me for 15 minutes or so.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.