Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Frau’s, I have started but I don’t know if I can finish 🤢

ETA I have buggered the recipe up and added too much red wine. I might have to try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
This thread is amazing. Thank you to all you brave ninnies, and thoughts and prayers for your poor unsuspecting Old Harolds.

I've followed the main thread for ages and laugh and fume and nod along in the background, but this one really cuts through. Even if she is not a liar, a fraud, and a narcissistic, conceited petty bully - she is undeniably a terrible terrible cook. She has no idea how to make nutritious, appetising meals on a budget. She has been winging it for years and these repulsive slops are the proof in the pumble. Her whole USP, her origin story, is based on noone, anywhere, actually cooking these recipes themselves. They are for the other, the "povs" - Let them eat slop. The Guardian, her publisher, Nigella, Jay Raynor etc - SHAME on YOU for facilitating this crap.

I would offer to join the slopalong but I have a stinker of a cold and can't taste or smell. You might think this an advantage, but the texture is amplified and I can't face a Monroe claggy/greasy/lumpy/slimy concoction just now.

But I have made a spite donation to a foodbank and I'll post the screenshot if I can work out how.

Screenshot_20221110-170718~2.png
Squigged myself like a old school frau (I hope!)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
Earthy Red Wine and Mushroom Risotto.

This recipe is brought to you from A Girl Called Jack.
First up the ingredients. I didn’t have a stock cube, I had a stock pot, yes I know fancy. 100g of mushrooms is not much at all.
A08F7DF8-19C1-4EC9-92D1-687AD58901A9.jpeg

However I was very excited because this recipe call for you to warm the TEASPOON of oil before placing your finely chopped garlic into it. After the welcome sizzle and quick sauté I added the chopped mushrooms, which immediately absorbed every last drop of oil and made the pan drier than a dry thing. As required I sautéed them as best I could and then added the interchangeable rice to the pan of pallidness. I then added a teaspoon of mixed herbs.

CEFEED3B-0117-4D0F-927E-687D6EF569A7.jpeg

As I waited for the rice to turn translucent (ninnies this was never going to happen) I took a swig of the red wine and then made a terrible mistake. I added 125ml of wine instead of 75ml. I also added the tablespoon of purée.

0CA6AD43-8D44-4E2D-8693-D114964E88B6.jpeg
I took another swig of the wine and mixed the stock pot with boiling water. Adding this as you would making any other risotto. It cooked down and eventually I decanted into bowls. I added no other seasoning as the recipe didn’t call for any.
28B73DB5-950E-4FBF-A2DB-D2AA6842AC2B.jpeg

SB wouldn’t go anywhere near it, Mr Ghent noted that it tasted of salty soil, so at least it was earthy. But it was inedible. Probably my fault for too much wine, but it was a waste of time, energy and most of all wine.
I was lucky I had a lot of the ingredients in my store cupboard, but if I’d had to buy them it would have been around £6.50. Nutritionally it’s not brilliant either.
Taste = Dire

ACBB62F7-B1D4-4A6D-B95F-731F7E28D800.jpeg
94073A09-F86F-4A59-8AE1-5583B99492BD.jpeg

I think I’d have preferred with white wine, onion, and some ‘hard cheese’ stirred through.
Will put my donation up separately.
Never again ninnies, never again.

£10 plus gift aid to my local independent food bank.
3594002F-641C-43D9-BE19-D21719ED9DDB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 76
I am genuinely looking forward to this more than I am looking forward to Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: 23

First up the ingredients. I didn’t have a stock cube, I had a stock pot, yes I know fancy. 100g of mushrooms is not much at all.
View attachment 1719908

However I was very excited because this recipe call for you to warm the TEASPOON of oil before placing your finely chopped garlic into it. After the welcome sizzle and quick sauté I added the chopped mushrooms, which immediately absorbed every last drop of oil and made the pan drier than a dry thing. As required I sautéed them as best I could and then added the interchangeable rice to the pan of pallidness. I then added a teaspoon of mixed herbs.

View attachment 1719920
As I waited for the rice to turn translucent (ninnies this was never going to happen) I took a swig of the red wine and then made a terrible mistake. I added 125ml of wine instead of 75ml. I also added the tablespoon of purée.

View attachment 1719929I took another swig of the wine and mixed the stock pot with boiling water. Adding this as you would making any other risotto. It cooked down and eventually I decanted into bowls. I added no other seasoning as the recipe didn’t call for any.
View attachment 1719953
SB wouldn’t go anywhere near it, Mr Ghent noted that it tasted of salty soil, so at least it was earthy. But it was inedible. Probably my fault for too much wine, but it was a waste of time, energy and most of all wine.
I was lucky I had a lot of the ingredients in my store cupboard, but if I’d had to buy them it would have been around £6.50. Nutritionally it’s not brilliant either.
Taste = Dire

View attachment 1719971View attachment 1719972

I think I’d have preferred with white wine, onion, and some ‘hard cheese’ stirred through.

£10 plus gift aid to my local independent food bank. View attachment 1719999
Poor you. That looks dire. And 🦉 🍾 at “salty soil”. These ninny efforts are truly heroic

@binkbonk what did the Pickin’ Balls taste like? Did the taste live up to the name?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

View attachment 1719908

View attachment 1719920

View attachment 1719929I took another swig of the wine and mixed the stock pot with boiling water. Adding this as you would making any other risotto. It cooked down and eventually I decanted into bowls. I added no other seasoning as the recipe didn’t call for any.
View attachment 1719953
Taste = Dire

View attachment 1719971View attachment 1719972

£10 plus gift aid to my local independent food bank. View attachment 1719999
Oh dear. That looks like it tastes AWFUL just from the combination of ingredients. And I'm going to come right out and say it...I'd bet folding money It's not you adding 50ml too much wine that has made it so bad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
Newbie to this thread. I’ve read some of the JM threads, hard to keep up with though.

This thread is brilliant! I love seeing all your attempts at her recipes.

I’m an experienced baker, I might give the microwave peanut butter brownies a go unless it’s already been done? The recipe is on bbc good food.
If it’s off the BBC website it stands a chance of being OK, because they normally correct errors in recipes. (For example the DKL lasagne - they corrected Jack’s white sauce method, as that clearly didn’t work).

• Wow
Reactions: 29
Following my slopalong I have just donated to our local homeless project (squigged cos 🔺)

I couldn’t do it sooner as I was BUSY!!

I am thinking of trying another one of her ‘15 minute meals’ - will keep you fraus posted!!
465A8AC0-C50F-4543-AF41-449F87C9235A.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 30
So…now we know why she chucks tit into cold oil! Shout out to all the “super fast and fancy choppers” in da house.
71F06218-1146-42A3-8B9A-6F329FC24856.jpeg

Does she realize how much of a dipshit she makes herself sound?!

PS CONFESSION that she nicks recipes from BBC Food- and has been caught doing so

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
Oh dear. That looks like it tastes AWFUL just from the combination of ingredients. And I'm going to come right out and say it...I'd bet folding money It's not you adding 50ml too much wine that has made it so bad.
I’ve had to break out the omeprazole!

• Haha
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.