Slimming World #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i have recently attempted to dissuade my friend about SW but she just won’t listen and thinks I am just bitter because I gained back my losses.
Invite her out for lunch and watch her struggle to bf something free to eat before ending up with a baked potato with beans

Reactions: 2
Invite her out for lunch and watch her struggle to bf something free to eat before ending up with a baked potato with beans
Why would you live a life with zero enjoyment?it’s sad that they do that. Even when I used to go to slimming world. I’d have a coffee and cake in Costa afterwards with my daughter. I would be planned for the week ahead but I wouldn’t sacrifice life’s enjoyments. I maintained one week and the consultant made a throwaway comment about not going to Costa.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
To give an update everyone who has been interested in the unfolding saga, the leader of the community group has had some awful battles with slimming world. She spoke to a member of the slimming world main office team who have said their focus is on slimming world members and their new healthy lifestyles to which she replied, if that is the case why are you trying to shut down a volunteer community organisation to do exactly the same that you are, we are not a threat to slimming world nationally. They had no response and have been silent since. The leader of the community hall where this all happened, wont let slimming world back into the building at all because of their pettiness.

I don’t think our group can continue at the current location and given the battles we have had. A national health club and spa chain have been so nice and have offered us a room at their venue weekly even though, in a way it is a conflict of interest. The only downside it is over 38 miles away using the M40.

In short, slimming world and their Consultant’s disgusting behaviour is making a well intended not for profit idea untenable but the determination to not let them win by everyone has been amazing to witness. The past few weeks have seen me moving from being aloof to slimming world to becoming genuinely angry with them. I am usually objective in my views on certain matters but not here! The leader of the community group feels defeated but isn’t giving up on it all yet.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
To give an update everyone who has been interested in the unfolding saga, the leader of the community group has had some awful battles with slimming world. She spoke to a member of the slimming world main office team who have said their focus is on slimming world members and their new healthy lifestyles to which she replied, if that is the case why are you trying to shut down a volunteer community organisation to do exactly the same that you are, we are not a threat to slimming world nationally. They had no response and have been silent since. The leader of the community hall where this all happened, wont let slimming world back into the building at all because of their pettiness.

I don’t think our group can continue at the current location and given the battles we have had. A national health club and spa chain have been so nice and have offered us a room at their venue weekly even though, in a way it is a conflict of interest. The only downside it is over 38 miles away using the M40.

In short, slimming world and their Consultant’s disgusting behaviour is making a well intended not for profit idea untenable but the determination to not let them win by everyone has been amazing to witness. The past few weeks have seen me moving from being aloof to slimming world to becoming genuinely angry with them. I am usually objective in my views on certain matters but not here! The leader of the community group feels defeated but isn’t giving up on it all yet.
Anything closer? I'm just thinking of where I live- have you any local school halls, a room in a local library?
I've been following this story and it makes me sad to think that something so beneficial (and miles better then SW is about to stop 😞

Reactions: 4
Anything closer? I'm just thinking of where I live- have you any local school halls, a room in a local library?
I've been following this story and it makes me sad to think that something so beneficial (and miles better then SW is about to stop 😞
If we hadn’t come into conflict with the local slimming world leader, if they weren’t removed from the location and times. We probably could have existed quite well but we are well within their sights and aims. It is a great concept but we are small fry verses a huge machine. I won’t name drop the proposed new location but they have nothing nice to say about slimming world. I hope my experience shows them in the light in which they should be. Their loyal base are people who regain and lose the same stone of weight over and over again are the core business of slimming world. You have those who hit target and then feel isolated. They have approached me about it in conversation. The people who have the big losses are never promoted in their content which to me, shows that slimming world choose aesthetics over the actual achievements of their plan which is wrong. Why are photographically pleasing slimming world members held in higher regard than those who have genuinely achieved great losses without the crave for attention? Slimming worlds member management is based on popularity and self promotion alone.
Stop wasting your money on it.

• Haha
It’s a good question, we’re looking at other options but with things to consider like liability insurance, it might start getting expensive and if we became more expensive than slimming world which we have been nearly half the price. It might not be cost effective for some and go back to slimming world.

Reactions: 2
Snares is drawing another line…
Would it not be better for him to pay an instructor to show him how to use the gym equipment rather than ask strangers on the internet. The sad reality is hes always going to be a yo-yo dieter, perhaps he needs to step away from social media for a while & concentrate on getting his mental health better rather than validation from his followers

Reactions: 11
Everyone on SW either draws a line every Monday or has no life over the weekend. They need to maybe think about finding something that works better for them and stop throwing money after bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Absolutely pointless asking strangers on the internet for a weight programme, especially not the ones that are likely following his account. Plenty of resources he could just search for if he doesn’t want to get professional advice. He needs a proper plan, pay for a coach/PT and learn how to live a sustainable lifestyle 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Snares is drawing another line…
I think it’s puzzling why someone who lost an incredible amount of weight is asking strangers on the internet for help. Unless you lost weight by some unconventional method such as crash diets or other methods then surely you know what to do? If the slimming world plan that you and your Instagram friends promoted daily, worked so well and was the best thing ever, why not go back to it and start from scratch?

I think there is a psychological issue that needs to be addressed here. Reading between the lines, something in his stories doesn’t add up. I think he needs counselling and address his issues and be truthful. Social media is not the platform he should be using to address his obvious issues.
---
He doesn't really want advice, he just wants attention and the hunz to blow smoke up his arse
I think you’re right. Something doesn’t add up though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Does anyone know what happen to Laura and cath on YouTube they go my the name back to basics but not been on for 6 months …

Reactions: 1
Does anyone follow ellie_sw21. She is the example of all that’s wrong with SW.
17 lb weight gain on holiday, then not able to get ‘on plan’. Then over 2 stone up. Posted a big post yesterday about new beginnings and today wakes up saying she’s lost 5lb in a day 🙄🙃 All the huns saying she’s amazing…

• Wow
  • Sad
I think it’s puzzling why someone who lost an incredible amount of weight is asking strangers on the internet for help. Unless you lost weight by some unconventional method such as crash diets or other methods then surely you know what to do? If the slimming world plan that you and your Instagram friends promoted daily, worked so well and was the best thing ever, why not go back to it and start from scratch?
It's a combination of the fact a lot of SW'ers who have huge losses massively restrict (cut out carbs, don't bother with syns, eat small portions) to get to target and the fact SW as plan fundementally doesn't work long term.

It goes something like this:

1. Person with over 8 stone to lose joins SW

2. Due to high weight has big initial losses and gets attention and awards

3. Losses slow down eventually, this makes them unhappy as not getting awards and they thought the weight woule come off faster

4. Begin to eat less syns or less carbs. Losses get bigger again and they get awards coming again.

5. After around a year - 18 months or restricting they reach target

6. Keep eating SW but now they're at target feel they can loosen up and eat more syns, pasta, potatoes and rice, cos they're free right?

7. Body that has been deprived starts holding onto the extra calories coming in and they begin regaining weight

8. They try to cut down again but find it hard as always hungry due to previously depriving their body.
Ask consultant for advice they say focus on free foods

9. They focus on free foods piling plates high with potatoes and pasta but keep gaining weight back and can't lose. Become fustrated and start eating whatever they want and gain even more weight back.

10. After a year- 18 months most if not all of weight gained back. They rejoin SW and the cycle begins again. Except now they are depressed they don't get the same losses as before due to messing up their metabolism.

Snares isn't alone in regaining such a large amounts most of the SW big losers on the gram gained it all back.

- towers
- JSG
- big ben to slim ben
- mrs bavington (well on her way to)
- mr and mrs mummy wright
- charles the foodie slimmer (he is worst example he lost 15 stone then gained back 17 the year after)
- towers
- blueeyesandthickthighs

Probably more I can't think of

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It's a combination of the fact a lot of SW'ers who have huge losses massively restrict (cut out carbs, don't bother with syns, eat small portions) to get to target and the fact SW as plan fundementally doesn't work long term.

It goes something like this:

1. Person with over 8 stone to lose joins SW

2. Due to high weight has big initial losses and gets attention and awards

3. Losses slow down eventually, this makes them unhappy as not getting awards and they thought the weight woule come off faster

4. Begin to eat less syns or less carbs. Losses get bigger again and they get awards coming again.

5. After around a year - 18 months or restricting they reach target

6. Keep eating SW but now they're at target feel they can loosen up and eat more syns, pasta, potatoes and rice, cos they're free right?

7. Body that has been deprived starts holding onto the extra calories coming in and they begin regaining weight

8. They try to cut down again but find it hard as always hungry due to previously depriving their body.
Ask consultant for advice they say focus on free foods

9. They focus on free foods piling plates high with potatoes and pasta but keep gaining weight back and can't lose. Become fustrated and start eating whatever they want and gain even more weight back.

10. After a year- 18 months most if not all of weight gained back. They rejoin SW and the cycle begins again. Except now they are depressed they don't get the same losses as before due to messing up their metabolism.

Snares isn't alone in regaining such a large amounts most of the SW big losers on the gram gained it all back.

- towers
- JSG
- big ben to slim ben
- mrs bavington (well on her way to)
- mr and mrs mummy wright
- charles the foodie slimmer (he is worst example he lost 15 stone then gained back 17 the year after)
- towers
- blueeyesandthickthighs

Probably more I can't think of
(not) Enjoying Being Emma is another. Although she's not gained all her weight back, she lost 17 stone but gained 6 back when pregnant and she's now 3 stone heavier than before and trying to lose, but posts things like "I've got 4 weeks until blah blah I'd like to lose a stone before then"
But after 17 stone, that just isn't likely anymore.
And it massively affects her posts, the change in attitude when she loses 3 or 4lbs in a week is massive compared to the miserable posts when she hasn't lost weight. But then she binges and gains 9+lb in a week or 2, and then restricts to no more than 800 calories a day and loses that 9lb plus more the next week. And the cycle continues.
But you can clearly tell by the tones of her posts that it affects her moods massively.
And then her kids and husband get the brunt of it.

Reactions: 4
(not) Enjoying Being Emma is another. Although she's not gained all her weight back, she lost 17 stone but gained 6 back when pregnant and she's now 3 stone heavier than before and trying to lose, but posts things like "I've got 4 weeks until blah blah I'd like to lose a stone before then"
But after 17 stone, that just isn't likely anymore.
And it massively affects her posts, the change in attitude when she loses 3 or 4lbs in a week is massive compared to the miserable posts when she hasn't lost weight. But then she binges and gains 9+lb in a week or 2, and then restricts to no more than 800 calories a day and loses that 9lb plus more the next week. And the cycle continues.
But you can clearly tell by the tones of her posts that it affects her moods massively
People think when they lose that amount of weight life will be amazing and sunshine and roses after being on the sidelines and unable to do alot being that obese.

Regardless of plan or diet when the weight is gone they have to maintain while grappling a constant fear of returning to their original size. (This is why emmas forever having long baths and early nights, it's so she doesn't eat)

Not to mention to body image issues of loose skin and the hardship of not being able to use food as a comfort.

I think once you have severe weight issues you're never truly free from them

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.