Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
There is no 'apparently' about it. I think thats really insulting if Im honest and not at all nice when people have ended up with eating disorders.

SW does work for some people, doesnt work for me to live a healthy sustainable life 🤷‍♀️ gave me absolutely atrocious eating habits. Maybe its the type of person I am that caused it but combined with SW it was a recipe for disaster.

If youve lost weight on SW and maintained it, I also think thats amazing, would never ever knock anyone for that. I always say losing weight isnt the hard part its maintaining it. If following SW is what suits you to maintain your weight then genuinely Im pleased youve found something that suits you.

• Heart
Reactions: 47

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
No plan tells you to starve all day but calorie counting doesnt require me to sit in front of a large group of people and justify why Ive gained half a pound. Or listen to people telling us how theyve had 3 takeaways and a night on the last but managed to lose 2lbs. I have severe anxiety that Im medicated for. The thought of having to explain myself was terrifying.

Having to justify any maintain or gain with a story or declaring the ins and outs of my menstrual cycle to a large group of people, including men who probably couldnt care less.

SW did not give me any knowledge of nutrition at all. It didnt teach me that if I had a salty meal before weigh in that the scales might not show any success that week. I lost 5 stone on SW but didnt really fully understand losing weight. I only understood SW. Ive told the story of a consultant I had who would shame you if you only lost 1lb, and others seemed to agree theyd had consultants like that. Also every consultant I ever had poo pooed any form of exercise which now seems mental to me?

So yeah it did totally alter my relationship with food. Ive not gained 5 stone back or anything but I definitely couldnt maintain my weight eating the SW way because it doesnt suit me. I lost most of my weight before all the codes and affilate links. It does suit some people and if its worked for you, amazing.

Back to the biscoff breakfasts..... although I do like a biscoff biccie. Perfect biscuit to pair with coffee imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

SootySweepAndSoo

Chatty Member
TLDR of the last thread.

People giving off about Slimming World apparently wrecking their relationship with food then writing paragraphs about how to to work out calories which sounds like ten times more effort than Slimming World.

Bollocks to that. :rolleyes:
It’s not much effort at all, simply add what food you are eating to the cal counting app rather than logging/writing down your syns 🤷🏼‍♀️
Different things work for different people, cal counting personally worked better for me and made me eat much more sensibly. But SW works well for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34

Snarkypants

VIP Member
TLDR of the last thread.

People giving off about Slimming World apparently wrecking their relationship with food then writing paragraphs about how to to work out calories which sounds like ten times more effort than Slimming World.

Wow. "Apparently" wanna minimise or invalidate anymore?
Having done all the plans including calorie counting lots of times, there is nothing about SW that wrecks a relationship with food. That’s entirely on the person doing it and whatever version they think they’re following.

I calorie counted and always ended up starving as I always left myself with way too few calories at the end of the day having used my ‘freedom’ to make stupid choices. That wasn’t the fault of calorie counting though. That was mine alone.

If you think it was insulting, sorry, but that’s my experience. My disordered eating dated from well before my time using any diet. Hence me needing a diet in the first place.

I can disagree with the first part. I don’t even log my syns anymore, so that’s even less time.

That said, I’m 100% on board with the baked oats and biscoff hate. That’s why I’m here. :ROFLMAO:
The fact that you said in your first post, that calorie counting *sounds like* effort, tells me you're bullshitting that you've actually done it. Also, you've done a great job minimising experiences, by saying "apparently" people have had issues. They have. They're real. As uncomfortable as that is.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

Lords_Alive

TLDR of the last thread.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Moonflower

Chatty Member
I've got to disagree with the "ten times more effort than slimming world" thing. I've lost 3 stone calorie counting, and it honestly takes me about three minutes a day to log my calories.

Not here to bash slimming world, pleased for anyone who has found the best way for them to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle, whatever that might be. Just here for the SW instagrammers hacking the system with their baked oats piled high with biscoff 🤣 and syn plates (since this thread is in the Instagrammers section after all!)

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
It's a year since I left the hallow halls of SW and for the last 2 months of that I was CC. This year I've put 3 stone on just through stress eating and sitting on my arse. I've found myself itching to go back to SW, even though I know it didn't really help me with my food issues, I'm still itching to eat plain boiled rice by the truckload - it's the being in a room with others that struggle that I miss. Well that the the ability to not eat all the shite!
SW wont help, CC wont help. None of it will help until you fix it mentally in your own head. Honestly. Ive did them all, numerous times over.

Its not easy at all and yes before I went to SW I had food issues, but those were magnified massively after I attended SW.

I had CBT for other issues but over time we got chatting about food and the issues I had. It helped me so much. Im in my 30s and have been dieting on and off since I was a teenager.

If you focus on the scales it will never work, it needs to be a change in your mindset for more than the scales.

For me its why SW didnt work for me, a full week focused on 2 minutes on the scales, what those scales told me was the be all and end all, I was judged by a room full of strangers on what the scales said. Also too many restrictions on certain types of food i.e wholemeal only. If youre eating a proper balanced diet you dont need to restrict yourself to wholemeal. I get 30g of fibre or more every day now and no longer eat those all important B choices for "fibre" when half of them arent even that high in fibre anyway!

I can keep all foods in my house now and not binge. Weve still got Easter Eggs. I can buy multi packs of crisps etc and not binge.

I have whatever I fancy and theres no drawing a line or starting tomorrow. For the first time in my adult life I had food freedom. Theres no such thing as cheat meals, off plan and on plan, flexi syns. Theyre all made up concepts.

You can self refer to CBT at my GPs surgery and I didnt wait too long at all. Due to Covid its all done through telephone / zoom so its easy to do. Most employers will give you time to do it also. Some employers may even offer it through occ health.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Damocles

Chatty Member
this is what pisses me off about the sw community on instagram. People on instagram bastardize the plan and thats what gives it a bad name

I mean this is last years mr sleek aaron snares, on the left is how he is now as a consultant just last week, and on the right he is on the magazine cover

IMG_20211029_114607.jpg

how can he put weight back on as he clearly has, and have the nerve to stand in a room and give others advice about losing weight?

this is a man who last year over christmas put almost 2 stone on in a few days and blamed boris johnson changing peoples plans for making him eat bad food.

A grown man, blaming the uk prime minister for him being a greedy butter mountain.

Oh, and him and his mrs are often referred to as a "Slimming world power couple"

excuse me whilst I go get the sick out my mouth.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

theeyeroller

VIP Member
Ive just had to unfollow a Slimming World instagrammer for posting a Slimming World friendly “snickers” bar that’s only 4.5 syns - I worked it out to be about 210 calories. And a normal Snickers bar is…213 calories 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ You couldn’t make this stuff up.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
For me it isn’t necessarily the diet of SW that bothers me, my mum lost 2.5stone, but it’s the culture. So many consultants are large, most have no idea of the real plan and are just there to take your cash. Lots become consultants after losing some weight, you don’t have to get to target or maintain your losses to become and stay a constant, and then quit because it’s hard to actually make any money. It’s more like a MLM than a firm to actually help anyone.

Calorie counting can be free, no lining anyone else’s pockets for the secret of losing weight.

If it works for you, great! It fueled my binge eating and I’m now 1.5 stone heavy than when I first joined. Trying to establish healthy eating habits away from SW.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

B22

I lost 6 stone on slimming world in 6 months dropped from a size 22 to a 6. At first i follwed the plan and was losing well and became suddenly spurred on my the applause every week and then the disordered eating and behaviour began. I avoided going out with friends as i cudnt fit it in the the plan. I rang my consultant in tears 1 time when id caved and eaten dominos. then Id began restrict myself try and do the 'speed days' or whatever they were called where u basically didnt eat carbs. Eating weird combos like crab sticks and picked onions then id be so hungry id binge and make myself sick i started going to 3 excerise classes a day barely eating anything, binging at night then being sick all to receive that round of applause and slimmer of the week. I was woman of the year, got put forward for the national miss slinky etc not once did any1 even bat an eyelid that this weight loss was rediculous rapid and i was obsessed i got to target and carried on loosing. No alarms bells rang still i was given another certificate and told to reduce my target weight. I was the perfect 'before and after' advert for slimming world but at what cost? That was a few years ago now. Ive gained back 4 stone have a horrible relationship with food and the worst part is that terribly ill skinny girl was still so much more socially acceptable than somebody overweight when i can 100 percent guarentee u my health at that point was anything but healthy. I do believe the only true way is to eat a balanced varied diet and get moving and the weight comes off slowly but unfortunately i feel i will always be stuck with these food demons but i would never recommend slimming world to anybody now and i used to litrally be their walking advert

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

Dragondog

I keep seeing these SW influencer wankers making fakeaways for the gram that are higher in calories than the actual takeaway 😂😂 are they fucking stupid? Then the insta huns are all over it trying to copy 💀 slimming world is not the issue, the fucking morons doing it are.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

NapQueenReturns

Chatty Member
I was going to ask about Harry too.
I know Jack disappeared with everyone's money.
But I didn't realise Harry had gone too until I noticed his thread was dead
He started calorie counting then gave up to rim his new dog full time. Still works as a waiter in a golf club, drives his fathers car and wheels his Nan out every month for likes.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

Sslb_18

Chatty Member
Not sure if many of you here remember Jack Towers? Lost loads of weight on SW then had a GoFund me to pay for his lose skin removal - raised way more than needed for surgery and was then spotted always going out drinking in designer gear etc (suspected of using the Go Fund me cash).

Anyway he has his own thread that has blown up tonight, as he has gained all his weight back!
All that money on surgery… wasted!

• Wow
Reactions: 19

vtee

So I’ve been lurking on these threads and feel I need to throw my thoughts in...

I was realllly into SW, loved it, lost 3 stone. I actually maintained for a long time but hit a rough patch in life and put it all back on- plus some!

I’m 6 months post partum with 3 stone to lose and naturally turned to SW- it’s what I know! But suddenly with a baby and less time it just wasn’t working and I felt pretty miserable. I stumbled across these threads and what people were saying about CC. Let me tell you I have massively been against it- I was worried it would fuel my obsessive nature about food. But your comments convinced me...

I’m 10 days in and I’ve lost 5Ib, but more importantly I have really enjoyed it. I’ve eaten pastry, butter, olive oil, all the same things as my family. I haven’t had to think much beyond planning and tracking with Nutracheck. It’s life changing. Please give it a go if SW isn’t working for you. I genuinely think this will mend a lot of my problems with food, it feels like a bit of a reset teaching me how to eat normally and enjoy my food again.

• Heart

B1505

I’ve been reading these threads for a while and thought I’d join in!
Over the years I’ve done SW on and off, usually online as the thought of going to group gave me a bit of anxiety. I’d lose a few pounds and then end up putting more back on, so at the start of 2020 myself and my housemate joined a local group thinking having somebody weigh us would make us to stick to it. After my first weigh in I realised how toxic the consultants are, I’d only lost 1lb compared to my housemates 3lb even though we’d eaten the same (it was totm for me but apparently that wasn’t an acceptable excuse) and was questioned on how I’d do better next week. She actually made me feel like I’d done something wrong and I felt terrible after. I still continued with the journey until we went into lockdown and it was at this point I realised I’d become quite disordered with my eating. Saving all my calories for a chocolate binge at night etc.
I stopped SW when the first lockdown started as I felt like food was the only joy I’d have living alone, I started eating foods I loved and cooking with oil. As I was so accustomed to the rules of slimming world I felt like I was going to be gaining weight rapidly eating like this, so I didn’t weigh for a while. When I did I was shocked to see I’d lost a fair bit of weight and since then it’s continued coming off helping me lose 3 stone without being on an official diet. I feel so much happier in myself and I can go out for a meal and not stress.
I completely understand that SW does work for a lot of people, but some of the people in my group who had done it for a while seemed to revolve their whole life around it and that just isn’t for me.
I maintained my loss for a while and recently it’s started creeping up a few pounds, and for once it hasn’t bothered me. Whereas before even a 1lb gain would have me upset.
I’ve attached an image from an app I have for tracking my weight, this is the last few years and it’s crazy how clear it is at what point I fully stopped SW.
51F0F21E-1C28-4C9D-BDBD-C8A6B91A2F55.png

• Heart

MamaD

VIP Member
I think the wellness industry is a bit of an odd place at the minute. You have people shouting about ‘anti diet culture’ and bashing SW and WW whilst the calorie counting clubs are acting all superior. The thing is, having issues with food (binging, dieting to extremes) are mental health issues. When my father in law had cancer and our lives were turned upside down, I focused so much on WW and weightloss as an escape that I took it too far. Now I’m at the opposite end where I over eat because I associate with being bigger as keeping everyone safe (I see a therapist and am working on the mindset). There will be points in someone’s life when they will need to diet. How they do it is up to them. Not everyone knows how to eat ‘normally’, if we did there would be no obesity crisis and people with anorexia wouldn’t be ignored by the NHS due to the lack of funding. Most accounts that bash SW have something to gain (it gets a lot of traffic/comments and advertises their own company who claim to free you from whatever cycle they say you are in). Now I’m not a fan of SW personally but every diet has its flaws. Nutrition and weight management should be taught in schools. MH services need a massive influx of cash and online PTs need to be better regulated. The weightloss industry is big business and everyone wants a slice of the pie (no pun intended). If anyone reading this is struggling with food issues, speak to your Gp, they can refer you to programmes ran by counsellors who treat the ‘why’ and help you get to the root cause as well as teaching about calories and nutrition.

• Heart
Reactions: 18