Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

pepe le pew

VIP Member
I’m 60. I’ve never smoked or been out in the sun sun bathing. My skin is awful. I have large open pores in patches on my cheeks and chin. My skin is sagging.
I’ve tried estee ladders serums, Charlotte tilbury, and all the stufff that appears on tv, the I’oreals etc.
Im thinking a peel of some kind might help.
I bought some tretoin from the internet. Nothing helps.
‘Should I just throw in the towel?

Loveitme

VIP Member
I have dark patches on my face ,I think it’s part sun damage part genetic but when I’m pregnant it spreads even more and they get darker .Also get darker in the sun .I wear medium or full coverage foundations and i fake tan sometimes too and you can’t tell but if I’m bare faced and pale in the winter you can .People have pointed it out .Is there anything I can do about them ?

I wouldn’t advise any exfoliation alongside retinol.

What type of skin do you have? Have you ever used glycolic acid based products before? Glycolic is amazing for exfoliation but can’t be used along with retinol, it would really damage your skin if used together.

If you wanted something for brightening and exfoliating the skin the image illuma exfoliating powder unreallll. So nice to use 😍 Or if you wanted something more anti ageing based the image ageless cleanser is amazing but you would only use a couple of times in the week and build up, it’s not an everyday cleanser - it’s contains glycolic acid

With both of those you would 100% need to be using spf. They aren’t a very cheap price point but are medical grade and will last a very long time 😍
Ok. I think with double cleansing and using the retinoid every night you're right, I don't need an exfoliator 🙈🤣 I'm still new to this.
I'm using an spf, the simple spf 30 glow and radiance drops.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend something for adding glow, maybe a serum or something? I can't use vitamin c because I'm using buffet by the ordinary. Current routine is:

Am: simple moisturising cleanser, rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, the ordinary moisturiser, simple spf glow and radiance.

Pm: rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, 2% granactive retinoid emulsion, the ordinary moisturiser, few drops argan oil

My skin is mostly dry with a greasy nose 😂

tryingsohard

Is it the purifying clay mask? If so I have it and really like it! But I’m pretty sure it’s just the same as any other red clay mask 😅

I had my first hydrafacial today and already loving the results! Deffo going to book in for a few more - they recommend every 4 weeks for the first couple. As soon as I laid back the lady said I was congested around my t zone with very dehydrated cheeks, and also I have a milia on my chin! Has anyone else ever had / cured milia? It’s been on my chin for forever and I thought it was a wart or something haha
I removed one myself but I left a bit of a mark on my face so i'd advise against it. I basically just stabbed at it with my tweezer. I have had others extracted by beautitians and they did a much better job.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Can you advise me please about retinol. I live in a hot country. Is it advisable then that I don’t use it, even a very low %. What are the effects of the sun/ retinol? I don’t go out in bright sun but even shade can tan the skin.

petitspois

VIP Member
Cult Beauty have 20% off skincare at the moment. Anyone got any good recommendations of their ride or die products?

Re-ordering my usuals such as paulas choice BHA, the inkey list retinol eye cream and going up to the next level in medik 8 crystal retinal, going to 6 this time
Can I ask how I would use BHA in a routine? is that something for the morning and then retinol in the evening? I went up to Crystal Retinal 10 last month and it's been great.

HoGi

VIP Member
Does anyone have good recommendations for hyaluronic acid?

I was using the Pestle and Mortar one but after a few days I always started to come out in little bumps across my cheeks - not red or anything but still there. I have skin that tends towards dryness so would like to incorporate it into my skincare routine.
I use the ordinary one and haven't had any problems

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Can anyone offer advice regarding hormonal acne? I really want to clear it. Any advice appreciated! I don't have easy access to a dermatologist.

I am 38, I have had acne on and off all my life - always on my neck/jawline (like a beard pattern!). I didn't have it when I was on hormonal birth control, I had to come off the birth control about 3 years ago as I developed severe migraines from it and I was advised not to use hormonal birth control again.

The acne reappeared soon enough after I came off BC but in the last year I have developed large cysts on my neck/jaw line maybe 2/3 a week. The rest of my face is perfect - to the point that I often get complimented on my skin (apart from the neck/jaw!). I have dry skin. I don't believe any of my skincare products cause this acne - I believe it is hormonal in nature.

To tackle the hormonal acne (without BC) I have been using A313 pomade for the past 1.5 months (my face is glowing) and I drink spearmint tea. I drink lots of water and I am fit and eat well.

I have used OTC retinol products since I was about 21 and wear sunscreen daily.

I hope someone can suggest something!
When it’s hormonal, the best thing to really suggest is dealing with the hormonal imbalance that is likely to cause it. Balance them out with supplements and diet. When you say you don’t have easy access to a dermatologist is that a money thing or something else?
My friends hormonal acne was helped by being on the pill, she came off it and her skin just went to shit that she had to go back on you - I know that’s not an option for you but perhaps your gp could direct you to something that may help.

Some people have said skin and me is really great to use but at the end of the day - if you think it’s hormonal acne then the only thing that will help it is starting within.

DDF9E4D9-67E9-489A-BD73-F46204F63BB6.png

This is a great account to follow - she also does work with Zapped Skin who are derms. She and they do consultations online if that is the issue.

So I started Skin + Me last week, I have 4% Niacinamide, 4% Azelaic Acid and 0.006% Tretinoin and the flaky dry skin from the Tretinoin is real right now around my mouth/chin and lower nose..

I know this is a very common side effect and should hopefully only last a few weeks but has anyone else had this and have any tips/products that might help reduce the ‘skin literally peeling off my face’ look?
Was your Tretinoin prescribed by your GP, if not where did you get it from? On googling, it seems to be on foreign sites, which I’m wary of, or from online doctors or dermatologists who are expensive.

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Hi! Has anyone suffered from milia on their face before? If you have, what did you do?
I’ve never had them (well, I think it’s milia) until a few months ago and now I have about 10 of these weird clear/hard/strange looking spots across my face.
Google says they might clear up on their own, or I can see someone to get them removed.
They’re driving me mad and I feel so self conscious!
The BHA i linked on the post before yours is great for Milia 🥰

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I’m in my 50’s and I seem to get so many spots on my chin which leave scaring. I suffer with rosecea on my cheeks and my skin can flare up hot. Any advice for my spotty chin

monkeybutts

Yep, love the vitamin C cleanser and the azealic acid serum
The cream cleanser one? Love that too! I’ve been really liking their bakluronic moisturiser and their pore serum as well as their pro night cream too. I also really enjoy the packaging, particularly as I think it looks more expensive than it is lol

GlowGirlGlowwww

VIP Member
apologies if I am duplicating what others have said already (I haven't read all of the thread) but some skincare products I love are:

I have quite dry and sensitive skin, can be acne prone and is generally just high maintenance and annoying lol

- Hada Labo Hyaluronic acid
- Tretinoin (Its prescription only but amazing for both and anti ageing)
- Eucerin Aquaphor
- Weleda skin food
- facial oil - I really like body shop vitamin E serum in oil
- The Ordinary pycnogenol 5%

also depending on skin type look for ingredients such as AHAs, BHAs, hyaluronic acid, retinoids/retinol.

fillers and botox are also helpful but looking after your skin is still important!

Plus SPF no matter what skin type!

bcfc999

Chatty Member
Hi guys, I've lurked here for a while but I think I need some proper advice. My skin type is oily and I get a lot of blackheads. I use Nivea 2 in 1 cleanser/toner and Inkey list salycic acid in the evenings - I alternate them but from reading here I think I should be using the cleanser/toner every day? I have la Roche posay antihelios which I put on in the morning but I don't cleanse or moisturise in the mornings because I get up too late and have to run out the house 😂 any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Has anyone used MediK8 Crystal Retinol before? I’ve cancelled my Skin+Me subscription so I’m looking for a good retinol product.
Yes. I’ve used the Medik8 CR and loved it. I started on the 3 and then moved up from there. I noticed a definite improvement in the texture and clarity of my skin. I didn’t suffer any irritation or side effects with it either.

As I’m writing this I’m asking myself why I stopped using it! I’ll answer that - I moved on to Dermatica. But if I stop the tretinoin, I’d happily start up the CR again. Hope this helps.

shana

You could try Mandelic acid> Apparently it's often tolerated well for people who are sensitive to Salicylic. Have a google and see if it sounds good. The Ordinary's is under £6 so not too much to spend if it doesn't suit.
thank you i’ll definitely give that a go! x

Have been wondering why my skin is so angry at the moment, having never had problems with spots in the past...your post has just made me think it’s definitely this! It’s the only thing I’m using consistently along with a cleanser + spf that have both never made me break out before! Xx
i hope your skin settles down for you! xx

Influencersaredicks

The ordinary products are amazing and cheap! You can email them with your skin concerns and they will make a routine for you. It's a good starting point. I'd advise looking into double cleansing. It's a game changer. I'd also add salicylic acid, good spf and retinol.

Can I ask about retinol again. I’ve used it a few times and my skin has become very rough and dry - almost sand papery feel to my forehead
You need to almost easy your skin into using it. So maybe to begin with once a week. Let it soak in for a good ten mins then a good moisturiser over. You can build up how much you use it