Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
My skin was clearing up very wellas my dermatologist gave me antibiotics for rosecea. (I was also putting vit C each evening). But I had to stop taking them due to tummy upset. Anyway my skin is back to being sore , red and spotty. Not a great look when I know I take quite good care of my skin.

regularvoltaire

Ahhh ok thankyou! The Glycolic acid is 5%. I've been using it morning and night for months now as thats what it said on the back 🙈 I'll cut it back to a couple of times a week 🙂
Ah, 5% is quite low, so I wouldn't worry. Lots of moisture, drink ALL THE WATER, and don't smoke! Xxx

Slightly OT but has anyone ever travelled through airport security with a cleansing balm - do they count it as a liquid?
As far as I’m concerned it’s solid and therefore not liquid but I don’t want to risk having to bin it!

veryfondoftea

VIP Member
So azelaic acid is used for treating both rosacea and breakouts. As a previous poster recommended, The Ordinary do an azelaic acid which a lot of people find really effective. You could start there and see how you get on with it. Another option for you could be Dermatica - a brilliant prescription service which I use myself. You upload photos of your skin and they’ll formulate a product for you. They use azelaic acid and also other ingredients which help with breakouts and acne. It’s £20 a month but I spread mine out to receive every 56 days so it ends up being £10 a month as I never go through one bottle in a month! All the ingredients are prescription strength so really effective!

So Dermatica is definitely an option to consider but if you wanted to try over the counter products first then azelaic acid and salicylic acid are 2 ingredients which would work well, you may also like niacinamide! I’ll happily recommend some products and/or a routine for you if you like! ☺
Dermatica sounds interesting, does it come in serum form and you just add that product to your routine? Or is it a whole routine change?

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I have lots of scarring on my chin (previous spots squeezed and left marks). This part of my face is also showing my age. Any recommendations please

under the ivy

VIP Member
Any recommendations for eye cream? I have dry skin around my eyes so something moisturising / good base for concealer would be great. I’m using Cerave atm and don’t think it’s good.

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I wondered if I could ask what day creams / day moisturisers people use please?
I keep my whole routine simple, so I enjoy using an effective and unfussy moisturiser. Cerave cream, QV cream and Simple are all really nice and do the job very well. I’ve just bought the new Altruist moisturiser to try. It was £6 for 50ml and that’s lovely too. I follow up with sunscreen after a few minutes.

glowup

This is a really useful thread so thanks for starting it!

I'm in early 30s and my skin isn't especially bad, but it's not good either. I don't have problems with acne or wrinkles (yet!) but my skin quite dull looking and scars easily.

I also feel like in the last year or two my dark circles have dramatically worsened and my eyes have changed shape somehow, they used to be lovely almond shaped but now seem less so and more sunken. Eyeliner no longer seems to look as good as it did and my waterline somehow seems more swollen than it used to be.

Any good eyecream and eyecare tips? I am of Indian descent and I know the dark circles thing is pretty common. Have tried the Ordinary caffeine solution but didn't find it made any difference. Happy to splurge on a decent eye cream but just want it to be the right one!
Hey I've got similar issues to you and definitely started to notice dark circles as well as some pigmentation. Over the last few months I've intorduced vitamin c into my routine as well as chemical exfoliator 2 or 3 times a week. My dark circles have improved dramatically!

Superdrug naturally radiant range has some exfoliating pads that are cheap so worth trying out. I've used a few different vitamin C serums and there's quite a few inexpensive ones like the Ordinary, Superdrug Vitamin C, Revolution.

Good luck x

under the ivy

VIP Member
I love kiehls avocado cream. I do see it as more a 'treatment' rather than something I use all the time. Its good on sensitive skin - when I was having dermatitis flare ups I loved it.
I have eczema on my eyelids and whatever I use doesn’t quite shift the dryness! I might treat myself to Kiehls then.

Sparklesurprise

Chatty Member
Ah I started using it on my face maybe summer time and I’m loving it, I think it’s really helped my skin. I use the darker version (so just skin food) on my face. I’ve read some people think it’s a really good dupe for the bobbi brown enriched face base too x
Oh amazing thanks for that I’m gonna whack it all over tonight lol x

bellinibobble

VIP Member
Does anyone have experience of using a few different azelaic acid products? I have just finished my The Ordinary one but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference so far, and I find it quite often pills on my skin even if I leave it 10/20mins before applying any moisturiser.

I have looked at Facetheory’s 15% and Dermatica’s 20% products and I’m not sure what to buy next. I’m tempted to go for the stronger product to supplement my Dermatica prescription, but I noticed it has silicone (like The Ordinary one does) whereas the FT one doesn’t.. can’t decide! Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?

glowup

Tbh whatever I have in, sometimes it’s simple face wash, the clean and clear blackhead one I think is good, sometimes I use neutrogena face wash. I also use one of those exfoliation gloves every couple of days and that really helps to clear things up
Ah right maybe try a cleanser with salicylic acid or other mild exfoliating ingredients.

I know the cera ve one is popular but I'm a fan of superdrug own skincare brands as they work really well and cheap! I like the naturally radiant range but all they're products seem pretty decent

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Does anyone have any advice for spots really deep under the skin? I get them around my period and they are layers deep and so so painful. They don’t usually come to a head either.

Agent Cooper

Chatty Member
Anyone can help with scar fading/aftercare? I have a couple of fresh scars and am currently using La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume, it’s working well on my face but not my body 🙄

Libbylulu

VIP Member
To those of you who use the ordinary azelaic acid, does it smell medicinal. I don’t think I’ve been sent a legit product

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
I second the dairy causing/exasperating acne, for me anyway. I went vegan and the acne I suffered with for over 15 years cleared immediately. I have the odd minor breakout before my period but they are tiny whiteheads and no longer get big pimples. I do however know vegans with acne so it is not the case for everyone.

I have a good skincare routine now and follow it religiously so I know that helps. If using scrubs, stop as it messes up you skin barrier!

Retinol/retinA/AHA's are king.
It’s crazy cos the only real dairy I have is cheese but dairy has never been a trigger for me. Mine is sugar, if I have had lots of sweets I know I’ll break out round my mouth 😂

Anyone got any blackhead tips? I’ve never had them and now have some on my nose, I think it’s lockdown life. I bought some blackhead tools and they seem to help but I have to be careful to not make the area sore.