Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pinkii

VIP Member
I might stop the retinol for a while then and try the tonic and cream.

Anyone else find the overnight cream stinks? No pain no gain i suppose haha

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I've recently started low strength retinol (its the la roche vitamin b3 + 0.3% retinol) - I also regularly use niacinamide and 2% bha liquid exfoliant. Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should use all these products together? Should I drop any while I introduce the retinol?
I’ve used the LRP vit b3 + retinol before, it’s a really good product. I wouldn’t use it at the same time as the bha, I don’t think you’re supposed to mix retinol with salicylic acid - someone else will tell me if that’s correct? If you want to keep using both I’d alternate them every other night, or just use the retinol by itself to see what results you get.

Carapop

VIP Member
Skincare wise - look at getting a BHA (salicylic acid) toner for your face, I use the Paula’s Choice one and it’ll get deep into your pores and help exfoliate them, help with blackheads and acne in general and also the congestion and pore size too. Niacinamide and Retinol are great for pore size too but I’d say BHA is more for what you need.
In terms of the beyond skincare thread you mentioned - I use a LED mask by Current Body which I think has helped with the overall appearance of my skin and it’s great for anti-ageing too x
Thanks so much! I’m having a look at the Paula’s Choice range now…is there any BHA in particular you recommend??

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Getting old and struggling with ageing skin. Want to use a decent sunblock for my face in this heatwave as lockdown stress really accelerated my wrinkles and age spots etc
Every sunblock I use no matter what formulation just makes my eyes sting so much I can't open them and bright red
I feel ugly and walking around with one eye shut is impractical.
I can't wear make up because of it , not that I do wear makeup much anymore but nice to have the option.
Washing it off just hurts my eyes more, they feel so scratched
Please advise!
I’ve e started using Avene 50 spf with added tint
I’m washing my face with superdrug vitamin c wash and recently started using Olay with retinol for night. In just a few weeks my skin is brighter and fresh looking.

happygirl4699

I use what Shineyshine uses which is the medik8 crystal retinal, if you’ve never used retinol before then I would start at 1 or 3 depending on whether you’re sensitive or not and then build up that way.

The inkey list retinol is also lovely and great for beginners
Thank you so much 😊 Super helpful!!

EasterEggs

Chatty Member
Help me please! I’m mid 30s, relatively young looking but starting to become quite conscious of the beginnings of wrinkles (forehead, crows feet) especially as I’ve lost some weight recently.

current skincare routine is something along these lines:
Clinique 7day scrub once a week
Am - cleanse with cerave moisturising cleanser, niacinamide (the ordinary), the ordinary natural moisturise factors, plus spf 50

Pm - as above but with glycolic acid toner after cleansing and no7 night cream. I also use retinol once A week

I have visible pores/sebaceous filament around my nose and chin, prone to the odd spot on my t zone and dry cheeks.

Most of my skincare is on its last legs, so what can would you guys recommend switching up to halt/reduce some of the wrinkles and spottiness…

thank you!
Your skin sounds similar to mine. I recently started getting hydrafacials and they are spenny but have made such a difference to my skin, I can’t stop raving about them 🤣

I use the Fresh! Sugar scrub 2 times a week and it’s helped my skin a lot as well if you’re in the market for a new scrub.

nbt

VIP Member
My skin has started pilling. I think that’s what it is, after googling.

It’s only in the mornings and I’ve not changed my routine recently. I use:

The Ordinary Niacinamide
Eye cream
Elemis pro collagen marine cream
Face oil (which is when it starts pilling)
SPF

Should I just leave out the face oil for a bit? Is it maybe that the Elemis and face oil aren’t a good mix?

I’ve tried leaving a good 15/20 mins for it to soak in properly and that doesn’t make a difference.

Ding

VIP Member
Glycolic needs to be 1-2 times per week really in a decent strength, otherwise your skin will get to used to it. The point is that it takes the tip layer off your skin, sparking a reaction in your immune system to send the vitamins needed to rebuild the layer.

Don't worry too much about lots of products. A moisturising serusm, plus Glycolic a couple of times a week, plus a decent moisturiser and a double cleanse is all you need. Don't get taken in by the hype. Xxx
Ahhh ok thankyou! The Glycolic acid is 5%. I've been using it morning and night for months now as thats what it said on the back 🙈 I'll cut it back to a couple of times a week 🙂

Shineyshine

VIP Member
So I started Skin + Me last week, I have 4% Niacinamide, 4% Azelaic Acid and 0.006% Tretinoin and the flaky dry skin from the Tretinoin is real right now around my mouth/chin and lower nose..

I know this is a very common side effect and should hopefully only last a few weeks but has anyone else had this and have any tips/products that might help reduce the ‘skin literally peeling off my face’ look?
I’ve been using Dermatica tretinoin and had a tiny bit of peeling. So I started applying a thin layer of Cerave moisturiser over the top of the tret, and it’s helped loads. Also make sure you’re using a really gentle skincare routine in general, no other actives, and a nice moisturiser and sunscreen during the day.

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I use and love its cosmetics cc cream but recently bought the Charlotte tilbury flawless filter and set it with the press powder and LOVE the look it gives me, really natural and light on my skin x
I use the flawless filter too it’s great isn’t it just so expensive!
I think I might try the L’Oréal true match

random q but what is your gut like? I would personally look into a probiotic. They help sooooo much with gut health which feeds into skin majorly. I would look into accumax supplements by the advanced nutrition programme aswell, they excellent for hormonal acne but only take if not planning a pregnancy as they contain vitamin a.
Is there any probiotic in particular that you’d recommend, please?
I recently had to take a 3 month break from the pill and my hormonal acne came back with a raging vengeance. I’m now back on it but am very concerned about how my skin will look if I get pregnant in the future or have to come off it for any other reason.
I want to try to heal from within and think a probiotic would be a good start, but figuring out which one to get is a bit of a minefield!

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I have a question about retinol - I’ve just started using the ordinary retinol (0.5%). I actually bought it by accident as I meant to buy the granactive retinoid which is more gentle but though I may as well try this now I have it! I’ve been putting it on my face at night after I shower, and using a normal day cream with spf during the day. I’ve been using it about 8 days and still notice a lot of dry/flaky skin under my eyes and around my nose. My skin feels a bit sunburnt. Is this part of the normal adjustment process? I’m worried I’m just allergic to it and should stop using it!