Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kaylon8083

Chatty Member
I used to be very regular at looking after my skin from the age of 13. It went wrong after I hit 30 and had a relationship breakdown and depression hit.

I've started getting back into it slowly over the last year. My current routine is:

Wipe face with warm water when I get up. Moisturise using Nivea day cream.

In the evening, I use an oil cleanser, then take off with Biore blue algae. Tone with rosewater and then follow with rosehip oil. I use an oxygen night cream. I'm planning to try a low grade retinol soon too.

I do my own homemade facial once a week but I'm also trying to use up a Dead Sea face mask someone gave me too. I've noticed my forehead feels a lot smoother since doing this.

I've also used a bee venom mask but I couldn't take the stinging.

I also have PCOS so a lot of products have irritated my skin in the past.

Last edited:

Merpedy

VIP Member
Any affordable over-the-counter recs for acne? It's so weird as I never suffered from it in my teens or twenties but as I've got into my late thirties it is so, so awful! I've started trying Clearasil rapid action and keeping my fingers crossed I'll see results soon but just in case it doesn't work for me, any suggestions?
Pure tree tea oil may work. Be careful with it though, I used to put some on a cotton bud and just dab it directly onto the spots. It's also a bit of a risk as it may irritate your face a bit

Salicylic acid cleansers are also pretty good. I'm using the Cerave one at the moment and I'd recommend it, I've also had a lot of luck with the Inkey List cleanser too

Sparklesurprise

Chatty Member
I’ve used the tropic blemish face mask and loved it, not used anything else - I realized since that it is part of a MLM/pyramid scheme, I just bought mine randomly without knowledge of that. I’m not sure I’d want to buy other stuff now if I’m honest

La Roche Posay is great but you’ve got to use the right stuff for your skin. The effaclar cleanser been my morning cleanses and evening second cleanse for years, and I love their anthelios SPF. I’ve used the effaclar duo+ moisturiser which I didn’t mind, but didn’t love

What moisturiser do you use currently and what is your skin type?
So I was using tropic and ran out and the MLM really puts me off too. I’m definitely dry and a little sensitive. I’ve just been whacking Egyptian magic cream on but it’s not really doing it for me x

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I keep seeing the caudalie face mask all over tik tok has anyone tried it or is it just another sales gimmick that I would probably buy into 😂

littlepup

VIP Member
Has anyone tried Dr Sam Bunting’s range? I like the idea of just having 3-4 products and that cover all bases

mcfeez

VIP Member
I've just recently bought Paulas Choice Essential Glow moisturiser. Daily spf is so important but most people are really lucky they can wear chemical spfs which are what most moisturisers or facial creams are.

Mineral spfs are the best kind of spf but can be so problematic - they all have that white sheen and some can be difficult to apply. I've personally struggled to find one I really like but the Paulas choice one is the first I've tried that I really really love. Super easy to put on and gives skin a nice dewy glow. I haven't tried it under make up yet but I don't see why it would cause issues.

Dak1988

Chatty Member
Does anyone have experience of using a few different azelaic acid products? I have just finished my The Ordinary one but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference so far, and I find it quite often pills on my skin even if I leave it 10/20mins before applying any moisturiser.

I have looked at Facetheory’s 15% and Dermatica’s 20% products and I’m not sure what to buy next. I’m tempted to go for the stronger product to supplement my Dermatica prescription, but I noticed it has silicone (like The Ordinary one does) whereas the FT one doesn’t.. can’t decide! Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?
Paulas choice azelaic acid is brilliant! I’ve been using it a couple of months now and I’ve noticed a big difference

bubble_T

I really like it, I’ve got the caffeine one too. I definitely think the retinol one has made a difference though hard to say how much but i defo feel like there’s a smoothness to under my eyes.
I tend to use it mostly of an evening, but general speaking I would cleanse then tone on damp skin with the paulas choice BHA, then use my hado labo HA, eye cream and then moisturise - i don’t use anything it with any other serums, and I use retinol every 2-3 nights but never with BHA! If i use it of a morning it tends to be when I’m not going anywhere and I’d do the same but finish with spf. I’ve done it using a pad and i’ve actually tried just pouring a bit onto palm of my hand and patting it in as sometimes I really hate using cotton pads on my face 🤣🤣 it’s really good though and has definitely helped reduced my breakouts and I feel it’s made a difference to my pore size. i also recommend the nip & fab salicylic acid i’ll try and add a link in here - that one comes as a serum bottle though.

glad to know medik8 crystal 10 has been good! looking forward to going onto 6 x

Could you share your full routine please? Because your evening routine sounds perfect 🥰 @noseybirdxo

mcfeez

VIP Member
Does anyone have good recommendations for hyaluronic acid?

I was using the Pestle and Mortar one but after a few days I always started to come out in little bumps across my cheeks - not red or anything but still there. I have skin that tends towards dryness so would like to incorporate it into my skincare routine.

Peachy9

VIP Member
What moisturizers have you tried?
Pretty much the whole cerave range.. I don't know why I kept trying tbh! Just didn't help at all. The large blue tube caused jaw acne.
La roche posay effaclar moisteriser (didn't rate. Made my nose sting!) also tried the cetaplast baum as a hardcore attempt to treat the very dry patches (not as bad now) but was too greasy for my skin. Was recommended Simple range.. Not for me as it just didn't seem to do anything? Nivea also not for me, very heavily scented too. Got a random one in a green tub at the mo from tk maxx but again, very thin and does nothing.

Should I have a seperate night /day cream? I use la roche posay SPF which seems to be okay so maybe it's just the effeclar range that's the issue?

Yarrow and comfrey from neals yard, I swear by it for my acne prone skin. Tried so many but nothing compares to this for keeping my skin soft and clear.
Ooh will have a look

Nottonightbabe

VIP Member
Sorry for only just getting back to you - it’s been on my mind but kept getting distracted. Ok I’ll share 😊

AM:
Cleanse with La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo
Spray my face with Elemis Ginseng Rehydrating toner (sometimes if I want to save money i’ll use a rose water from ebay - can link if you want but was recommended this by a derm)
Whilst my skin is DAMP !!!! I put eye cream on - I use the Inkey List caffeine eye cream which I like but would like to try something else maybe and then Hado Labo super hydrating lotion on my skin whilst still damp as this really helps the moisture (i really love this!)
Then on alternate days I’ll do one of the following next - If i’ve used retinol the night before I’ll use a vitamin C as this is meant to be beneficial - currently just got a superdrug one but also really like the inkey list vitamin C but I’d like to try the Summer Fridays one eventually but spenny. Or I’ll use a little bit of niacinamide by superdrug again
or some Paula’s choice BHA just in the palm of my hands and patted in (the niacinamide or BHA depends on what i’m upto or how my skin is at the time)
Then I follow with Weleda skin food which is definitely not designed for my skin type (combo) but it’s made a huge difference, I love it. Ive been prone to replacing my moisturizer with an oil some mornings as I just love it hahaha i use either Pai rosehip oil or elemis superfood oil
Then always, always, always SPF 50 - I’m using la roche posay anthelios one at the moment but I loooooooove the Elizabeth Arden city smart prevage one as it has a lovely tint and glow - tend to use that more in the summer/spring months but it is expensive too.

Night time my routine as follows:
Cleanse - Majority of the time I’ll use the elemis rose cleansing balm as a first cleanse
Double cleanse - la roche posay effaclar duo, I double cleanse every night as you should if you wear SPF too. I never stray from these two cleansers, so a balm and a gel into foam cleanser.
Then on nights where I use a retinol I’ll do the following -
Spray with the mists mentioned in my AM routine and then whilst damp i use Retinol eye cream by inkey list and then retinal - I use the medik 8 crystal retinal i’m on number 6 i think? I love this, you don’t need loads and just pat into the skin. I do this every 2-3 nights, I just read my skin really. I let this sit for 20 mins before I apply anything else. Then I’ll apply niacinamide and then the hado labo super hydrating lotion and follow with the weleda skin food again.
On the nights where I don’t use retinol, I will spray my mist and do eye cream and the hado labo and then following with moisturiser and then one of the oils I mentioned and i’ll roller that into my face or instead of spraying i’ll sometimes 1-2 times a week use some Paula’s choice BHA lotion on a cotton pad over my face then the hado labo then moisturiser.

That’s generally it, it works really well for me and took me ages to find something that I love and has benefitted me. As I say, I really just read my skin to see what I feel like it needs! But it makes me feel really good 😄 I used to never use oils thinking they’d make my skin more oily but they don’t - my skin type has changed so much over the last year I’m more dry-combo rather than combo-oily now. I get a lot of compliments about my skin now which is lovely after struggling 😂 If you’ve got dehydrated skin I reallt recommend the spray & hado labo onto skin whilst damp. I sleep on a silk pillow case too!

Another thread on here as got me considering buying a LED at home mask from Current Body 🤣

Retinol only use at night, in the day use something different as retinol increases your sensitivity to light hence the recommended for SPF too
How are you finding the Inkey List retinol eye cream?

nbt

VIP Member
I started off with a lot of products and my skin went quite bad, lots of breakouts on my chin and jaw. I waited it out for months thinking it was purging but it never cleared up, I ended up really simplifying my routine and my skin is now clear and the breakouts have stopped.
Quite annoying though as I have a basket full of serums I spent lots of money on 🤣
You definitely sound more patient than me! At least you waited it out to be absolutely sure so you could then see what the issue was. It’s a minefield isn’t it?!

Clickbait

VIP Member
Is anyone aware of something that works well for psoriasis that you can use whilst pregnant? I had hoped that not drinking alcohol might make any existing psoriasis disappear in pregnancy but I’ve developed it on my ears and scalp. I have a steroid cream for flare ups but I can’t use it.

veryfondoftea

VIP Member
I second Dermatica. I’ve been using their service for a few months now and I’m beginning to see good results.

You just use the treatment they prescribe for you on it’s own at night, then your usual skincare routine during the day. But avoid using other strong active ingredients whilst on Dermatica - alright a bit of gentle exfoliation, but not loads of harsh physical exfoliants, acids, essential oils etc. They advise you to keep it simple, which will also save you money on your skincare routine.
Oh ok, so literally just cleanse and dermatica at night? What about a round the eye treatment?

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Help me please! I’m mid 30s, relatively young looking but starting to become quite conscious of the beginnings of wrinkles (forehead, crows feet) especially as I’ve lost some weight recently.

current skincare routine is something along these lines:
Clinique 7day scrub once a week
Am - cleanse with cerave moisturising cleanser, niacinamide (the ordinary), the ordinary natural moisturise factors, plus spf 50

Pm - as above but with glycolic acid toner after cleansing and no7 night cream. I also use retinol once A week

I have visible pores/sebaceous filament around my nose and chin, prone to the odd spot on my t zone and dry cheeks.

Most of my skincare is on its last legs, so what can would you guys recommend switching up to halt/reduce some of the wrinkles and spottiness…

thank you!