Secret Celebrity Gossip #162

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely adored Brookie. And had a mad crush on Barry Grant at the time. They dealt with so many taboo topics and it's mad thinking back that I was allowed watch it and yet not allowed watch Grange Hill :LOL: I think in it's twilight years it did begin to decline but I was terribly sad when it ended. They dealt with stuff like marital rape, sibling incest and children murdering children.

I remember someone telling me that it was the whole Trevor Jordache storyline in 1993 which ultimately precipitated the digging up of 25 Cromwell Street a year later. That there had been rumours for years of the Wests having buried people in the backyard but nothing was taken seriously until Brookside and that particular storyline captured the public's imagination. Not sure if that's true but it makes sense.
I LOVED Barry Grant and I also had a crush on Mick. As I'm sure I said earlier in a thread, my parents didn't police my tv viewing at all so I was always watching programs that would have been deemed too grown up. I was about 13/14 when Beth and Margaret had the first lesbian kiss on tv and we all watched the Trevor under the patio storyline at school. Cracker was another one that we used to love too and we all thought Eldorado was hysterical.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
There seems to be a trend with celebs that they are afraid of ageing, especially with men going with women young enough to be their daughters and sometimes granddaughters. Like they are afraid to be seen with an ageing woman...
They don't seem to reaise that it just makes them look older by comparison to the barely-adult person on their arm. See also Ronnie Wood and his carer wife: https://www.independent.ie/style/ce...ses-to-girlfriend-of-six-months/28825134.html

There are fewer women that hook up with younger men - mainly because there are far fewer stinkingly rich women out there...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
In most of her earlier singles, they'd have other vocalists sing the chorus in additional to her weak vocal track, which would help a fair bit.

As far as I recollect, Jennifer Lopez was mining to Selena's vocals in the film.
Well when Jennifer was cast in the biopic. The studio wanted her to sing majority of the songs herself and she was going to work with 2 of the top vocal coaches at that time. All that changed just days before it was to start the vocal training rehearsals/recording cause this was being done just a year after Selena’s death. (She died in March 1995 and the biopic was released in mid 1997) An outlet reported on it and the family wasn’t very keen on someone doing majority of the music themselves since Selena death was very very recent so they kept Selena music and vocals in the soundtrack and film. They knew fans of Selena would be very upset if someone else was signing her songs that soon. They also feared the movie would flop cause of this as well so that’s why they decided to use Selena music in the movie. Jennifer did however sing a very small portion of a song in the biopic herself. So there ya go. It really didn’t matter about singing/vocal skills. The family and producers wanted someone who could express and embody Selena as a person. ALSO Jennifer Lopez was not a recording artist at that time either. She wasn’t “JLo” her debut album didn’t come out till 1999 at the age of 29.

Reactions: 10
When the Thursday Murder books came out I had a long debate with daughter as to actors, we agreed about Helen Mirren being Elizabeth, but Joyce should be short and dumpy, I had Julie Walters in mind.

Mind you, nothing can persuade me Ron is Brosnan, when he finally gets a girlfriend people are shell shocked, no he will always be Ray Winstone in my head.

Isn’t Stephen Elizabeth’s toyboy? Maybe Richard E Grant.

May be a bit old, but Philip Glennister for Chris
I wanted Fiona Shaw for Elizabeth and Penelope Wilton for Joyce. Love PB but he isn’t Ron. I know, I know, acting, still, Pierce is proper totty (to me, because he seems lovely).

Reactions: 14
Physical appearances aside, actors should be able to adapt to the role so I really hope they choose someone who's going to shine. It's great when an actor takes a completely different part and really surprises. Trouble is, we are too used to having Colin Firth play Colin Firth and Olivia Colman do the same....

Reactions: 18
Same! Some of them truly scared me! You were always waiting for the accident to occur and the build up to it often had me on edge 🫣
Yeah, there’s always someone playing near a loose electrical wire in an old power station!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Re: ghost singers in studios to cover for a star's weak vocals, poor range or incapacity through drugs and booze - it definitely happens. It must be easier than editing a bad vocal and it probably just sounds better. The ghost singer gets a credit as an additional vocalist, their session fee and whatever else they can negotiate. They make their money by being quite anonymous a lot of the time and using this to be able to work on lots of different projects.

I read about Mandy Smith's album she did for SAW. Most of the singing you hear came from Suzanne Rhatigan. Mandy was right down in the mix. When Take That were recording their early albums, Jason's vocals were buried with someone else's tracks because his voice wasn't good.

Reactions: 13
Re: ghost singers in studios to cover for a star's weak vocals, poor range or incapacity through drugs and booze - it definitely happens. It must be easier than editing a bad vocal and it probably just sounds better. The ghost singer gets a credit as an additional vocalist, their session fee and whatever else they can negotiate. They make their money by being quite anonymous a lot of the time and using this to be able to work on lots of different projects.

I read about Mandy Smith's album she did for SAW. Most of the singing you hear came from Suzanne Rhatigan. Mandy was right down in the mix. When Take That were recording their early albums, Jason's vocals were buried with someone else's tracks because his voice wasn't good.
I do wonder if people have done it uncredited for a larger fee though.

Reactions: 7
I loved Brookie as a teen. I actually used to fancy Jimmy Corkhill! 🤣 I also loved the way he called Cracker "Cracks" 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I do wonder if people have done it uncredited for a larger fee though.
Ashanti has pointed out her singing on I'm real is obvious, she never knew it would be kept and she was never paid :(
Grazia lists a few more
Also Meghan Trainor wrote 'Aint your Mama' and it just sounds like her totally in the chorus, she did 'backing vocals' but they're pretty up front and center.

Reactions: 9
I think something was amiss at the Taylor Hawkins tribute gig. Not sure what, but I got a vibe from his daughter that she wasn’t happy with him, and not because he was making her sing live in front of thousands of people. I still love him though, and I still love Josh Homme despite his coke fuelled kick at photographer Chelsea Lauren (I honestly don’t think he meant it 😕)
There's something about Josh Homme that makes me really, really, really, really uneasy - like a visceral reaction though I love QOTSA. Nothing he's said, nothing he's done - just a reaction!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Well when Jennifer was cast in the biopic. The studio wanted her to sing majority of the songs herself and she was going to work with 2 of the top vocal coaches at that time. All that changed just days before it was to start the vocal training rehearsals/recording cause this was being done just a year after Selena’s death. (She died in March 1995 and the biopic was released in mid 1997) An outlet reported on it and the family wasn’t very keen on someone doing majority of the music themselves since Selena death was very very recent so they kept Selena music and vocals in the soundtrack and film. They knew fans of Selena would be very upset if someone else was signing her songs that soon. They also feared the movie would flop cause of this as well so that’s why they decided to use Selena music in the movie. Jennifer did however sing a very small portion of a song in the biopic herself. So there ya go. It really didn’t matter about singing/vocal skills. The family and producers wanted someone who could express and embody Selena as a person. ALSO Jennifer Lopez was not a recording artist at that time either. She wasn’t “JLo” her debut album didn’t come out till 1999 at the age of 29.
The fact that she's a tit singer didn't help.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
This reminded me of my mate saying to me how absolutely terrible “Charlie from casualty”’s accent was on Blue Lights. Reminded her he is actually from Belfast and she did not care. 🤣
hahah this is me when Paul Blackthorne was on 24 playing an English guy. to be fair i now have a theory that when english ppl in american things sound weird it because we are hearing so many American voices around them it sounds odd

Reactions: 7
Yes! Perfect. Beautiful and twittery but with a steak of cunning you'd never see coming. Now, who do we think for Alan?
I went looking to find out who Alan was as it's a while since I read the first 3 books and I tripped up over the quiz for who you are most like.....
Screenshot_20240522-174324.png

ETA.... I still don't know who Alan is 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 5
TMC seemed to employ every stereotype about older people... countdown, early bird suppers, werthers originals. Like RO had never met an actual "senior citizen". The book gave me RAAAGE!!!
speaking of old person crime books I prefer when they are committing the crimes rather than solving

The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules: Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg (Little Old Lady, 1): Amazon.co.uk: Ingelman-Sundberg, Catharina, Bradbury, Rod: 9781447250616: Books

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.