Secret Celebrity Gossip #162

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was about to disagree as I’m Scottish but it was my English dad that wouldn’t let us watch ITV. My mum said in the 70’s she used to sneaky watch Magpie as she fancied one of the presenters. Also Grange Hill on bbc2 was missed as we had to watch the news. The ending of my parents marriage came shortly after Channel 4 was launched. My mum led the Friday evening rebellion and announced that we would be watching The Tube on a Friday and not the news 🍾🥳🎉
Did your dad have to watch every single edition of the news too? We used to joke that the world could have ended and we'd never know without watching the news; Dad was Not Amused. He used to exclaim "the news!" and rush to the TV to put it on.
---
I feel the same about Gerard Butler. The man is from Paisley and he can’t pull off a Scottish accent 😁
I love Kevin McKidd though when he drops back into a Doric accent and leaves US chat show hosts flummoxed 😂.

Reactions: 8
OMG Yes to Bob Crow!
Pierce Brosnan is such an odd choice. Once I’d pictured Ron as Ray Winstone I couldn’t see past him.
I pictures Ron as Ray Winstone as well 🤣🤣🤣 but I love Pierce so I'm happy.

I said to my pal, this is like Harry Potter for older people. I do hope the films are good because it will be good for the British Film Industry

Reactions: 14
My Joyce choice would have been Penelope Wilton. Celia is a very good choice though.
I’ve always imagined Joyce as Penelope too, Art Malik as Ibrahim and Judi Dench as Elizabeth. I would never have come up with Pierce as Ron!
---
Ian Wright is a proper gentleman. I've only ever heard good things about him. He had a horrible upbringing and has gone on to do so much with his life.

This is the video of him meeting his old teacher that was mentioned earlier. You can see the respect Ian has for Mr Pigden. The way he removes his hat straight away.

That’s just gorgeous. Ian transforms into the vulnerable young boy he once was. So lovely to have them meet again.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I’ve always imagined Joyce as Penelope too, Art Malik as Ibrahim and Judi Dench as Elizabeth. I would never have come up with Pierce as Ron!
---

That’s just gorgeous. Ian transforms into the vulnerable young boy he once was. So lovely to have them meet again.
I know. The way Ian cuddles him like a small boy is 😩
As a white person of about Ian's age I don't think anyone can really grasp the amount of daily racism Black people back then received. Horrendous.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
So they use other artists singing alongside (over the top) of her rather than editing her voice because it sounds stronger that way? I wonder how much the ‘carrying’ artist is paid for that.
A typical session fee - it's not uncommon for backing vocalists to do this in recording sessions for tracks by weak singers.

Reactions: 8
Can someone do an overview with spoilers so I can know all about the terrible plots please! I only made it to the end of chapter two before I abandoned it 👀😂
This one left me speechless: The Bullet That Missed

Elizabeth, a retired spy, who has offed many people in her time, has to carry out an execution of another retired spy (her ex-lover) in order for a cardboard caricature character (The Viking) not to murder her bestie, Joyce.

(Are you with me? Believable. Happens every day.)

However, retired professional, long-time spy, Elizabeth, and the other spy fake it and both forget to retrieve the bullet she fired into the ceiling to make the event appear real. (Viking man was listening in.) Whoops! How very careless! It must have slipped their minds, I guess.

Then, this Viking (cardboard character) goes to the flat to check it out because he has a feeling the deed was not done.

Being an old spy, the person who was supposed to be done in by Elizabeth has a Fort Knox-type door entry system.

(Time for your brain to fall out.)

The Viking gains entry because................................................................................................. (blow me down with a feather!) he only has the codes to get in as (would you believe it?) he owns the company that fitted this exact door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What extraordinary luck!

He finds the bullet that these seasoned professionals forgot about and feels he's been made to look a fool now that he's been duped by pensioners (especially as he could have gained access to the place at any time to rig it up with cameras or do whatever the Hell else he wanted).

Somehow, they all end up friends.

The End.

(Brain can be reinserted.)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I actually am a fan *runs away* 😂 I’m not really a fan but I know about 3 of her songs, I’ve seen 2 or 3 of her films and she was good in will and grace. I don’t know anything about her as herself or her personal life beyond her and Ben affleck getting back together because you couldn’t miss that news, it was everywhere!
I've seen a few of her films, Jersey Girl, with ben, Enough, I really liked that, and a brilliant film with Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford, I think it's call A life well lived. That's a brilliant film.
---
The rumours are it isn't supposed to be her, but when she was in Selena I saw something on her making it and she sang there and then and I thought she was fine, I don't know where the rumours started but I know she is no Mariah but she can carry a tune so I don't believe those rumours, they have been around for years.
I'm sure Jlo sang at one of the inauguration's. Not sure which one, might have been Biden, definitely sang live.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
JLo’s Super Bowl performance was great. At one point she had a load of kids in cages and sang ‘Born in the USA’ over the top. It was a political protest about how Mexican immigrant children are treated in ICE centres.
It was a very, very bold move at the Super Bowl, I don’t think the press really reported it.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Years ago there was a Popbitch rumour that she was shagging Dave Grohl and she was immediately relegated to my shitlist. Later DG said it was all bollocks so I forgave her 😄
Dave Grohl is perfect. I would hate for something bad to come out about him.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
He was shagging Alison Mosshart behind his wife’s back for ages, Alison was telling anyone who would listen he was leaving his wife and kid for her.
He dumped he when COVID happened tho.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
I like JLo. I think she looks fabulous. Ben Affleck is a sulky child and needs to get to duck. Don’t know why she’d saddle herself with a bloke with so many issues.

Reactions: 18
I pictures Ron as Ray Winstone as well 🤣🤣🤣 but I love Pierce so I'm happy.

I said to my pal, this is like Harry Potter for older people. I do hope the films are good because it will be good for the British Film Industry
Yesss. Rat Winstone here too. Pierce Brosnan. As if the plots aren’t implausible enough. Of course pierce is the first man you think of when you think of a leftie union leader who manned the picket lines in the miners strike 🙄 🤣
---
This one left me speechless: The Bullet That Missed

Elizabeth, a retired spy, who has offed many people in her time, has to carry out an execution of another retired spy (her ex-lover) in order for a cardboard caricature character (The Viking) not to murder her bestie, Joyce.

(Are you with me? Believable. Happens every day.)

However, retired professional, long-time spy, Elizabeth, and the other spy fake it and both forget to retrieve the bullet she fired into the ceiling to make the event appear real. (Viking man was listening in.) Whoops! How very careless! It must have slipped their minds, I guess.

Then, this Viking (cardboard character) goes to the flat to check it out because he has a feeling the deed was not done.

Being an old spy, the person who was supposed to be done in by Elizabeth has a Fort Knox-type door entry system.

(Time for your brain to fall out.)

The Viking gains entry because................................................................................................. (blow me down with a feather!) he only has the codes to get in as (would you believe it?) he owns the company that fitted this exact door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What extraordinary luck!

He finds the bullet that these seasoned professionals forgot about and feels he's been made to look a fool now that he's been duped by pensioners (especially as he could have gained access to the place at any time to rig it up with cameras or do whatever the Hell else he wanted).

Somehow, they all end up friends.

The End.

(Brain can be reinserted.)
THANK YOU for this. I’ve read the first two (charity shop £1 each, glad I didn’t spend full price on them!) I know they are fiction but it’s all so contrived and implausible. In the first one of course they don’t get arrested for digging up a dead body, examining it and then putting it back 🙄

Honestly. I was actually talking to myself out loud reading them.

Helen Mirren is a good shout for Elizabeth. It was her or Celia Imrie for me.

I’ll probably watch the film when comes out on free. Not paying any more for it 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
In the late 90s/early 2000s the Foo Fighters were vocally supportive of a very dodgy organisation who were AIDS deniers.

This organisation believed that “HIV did not cause AIDS — and that HIV was, in fact, harmless and non-contagious”.

Their bass player read a book about it and somehow got the idea that these people meant well. The Foos even played a benefit concert for them.

Edited to add. It’s worth reading the article to see the full context, because I don’t think the Foos’ intentions were malicious, just really, really misguided.
But it is fascinating to learn how this has all been scrubbed from the band’s history.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
I read and enjoyed the Thursday Murder Club books for what they are, cozy crime palate cleansers before reading more gritty books. Some of the plot made me roll my eyes but I will give the film a go once it is made. Because Ben Kingsley is a brilliant actor in my view, though not who I pictured for Ibrahim, I know he's a good actor. Helen Mirren can be good, I hope she plays Elizabeth well. I imagined Celia Imrie's face in my head when reading but I do think she needs to not play Joyce as too posh, Joyce in my head has a sweet voice and is your usual common lady with no specific airs or graces.

I wonder who will play Stephen, Donna, Bogdan, and Chris.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think something was amiss at the Taylor Hawkins tribute gig. Not sure what, but I got a vibe from his daughter that she wasn’t happy with him, and not because he was making her sing live in front of thousands of people. I still love him though, and I still love Josh Homme despite his coke fuelled kick at photographer Chelsea Lauren (I honestly don’t think he meant it 😕)

I read and enjoyed the Thursday Murder Club books for what they are, cozy crime palate cleansers before reading more gritty books. Some of the plot made me roll my eyes but I will give the film a go once it is made. Because Ben Kingsley is a brilliant actor in my view, though not who I pictured for Ibrahim, I know he's a good actor. Helen Mirren can be good, I hope she plays Elizabeth well. I imagined Celia Imrie's face in my head when reading but I do think she needs to not play Joyce as too posh, Joyce in my head has a sweet voice and is your usual common lady with no specific airs or graces.

I know Joyce isn’t written as posh but she must be fairly well to do because god knows how much the fees are for that retirement home!!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I liked the Richard Osman books while totally agreeing that they are not great literature and the plots are mad. There are some nice bits of characterisation.

I love the Rest is Entertainment podcast Osman does with Marina Hyde, and one reason is that he is unashamedly about the mass market (and I imagine extremely rich as a result) whereas Marina is not, and that leads to some interesting conversations that definitely take me outside my ‘bubble’ in a lovely non-toxic way.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Can’t stand Ben “call me Sir” Kingsley. I always picture Dame “call me Eileen” Atkins as Elizabeth.

• Heart
I know Joyce isn’t written as posh but she must be fairly well to do because god knows how much the fees are for that retirement home!!
The woman who played Hyacinth's sister (married to Onslow) looks and sounds like my Joyce 😁 Didn't Joyce's daughter finance her? But yes, I agree they're more MC than WC.
---
Can’t stand Ben “call me Sir” Kingsley. I always picture Dame “call me Eileen” Atkins as Elizabeth.
Ibrahim should be cuddly! Ben Kingsley isn't cuddly.

I need to stop caring about this 🫥

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.