Secret Celebrity Gossip #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the problem isn’t “Augustus Gloop was fat!”

The problem is “Augustus Gloop was fat, therefore he was a dreadful person who deserved a fate close to death” - this is a dreadful message to send to impressionable children.

The Dahl Estate, the publishers and whoever else approved the rewrites are solving the first problem and not the second. And the second problem is probably unsolvable.
It's not even that Augustus was fat that made him awful, it was his greed, the greed made him fat yes, but the greed was the negative character trait that led to his downfall.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Apparently it’s the Dahl estate that have pushed for the changes to his books which I felt was a bit odd? I have genuinely not seen anything from the “woke left” pushing to have his books censored so I have no idea how this has come about. Admittedly, i loved his books growing up but I don’t really see the point in changing them now - surely most people can understand that they were a product of their time (as were Dahl’s views). Anti-semitism is absolutely disgusting & unacceptable but removing “fat” as a description of a character just seems unnecessary to me?
they have apparently changed “fat” to “enormous” which, given the whole point of that character, seems to say much the same thing to me? likewise all the removals of colours, including the bfg’s coat being black? i don’t understand it.

i guess the dahl estate are trying to protect his legacy, which is more and more tarnished by the day, and there are certainly some things that needed to be reworded in his books but…. the books themselves exist, we all know the original versions, the messages are still there, there’s movies of most of them. i don’t know who, if anyone, benefits from the updates.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

The problem is “Augustus Gloop was fat, therefore he was a dreadful person who deserved a fate close to death” - this is a dreadful message to send to impressionable children.

The Dahl Estate, the publishers and whoever else approved the rewrites are solving the first problem and not the second. And the second problem is probably unsolvable.
Agreed but I don’t think that was necessarily the message - not the one I got at least. I’ve always thought it was a child-friendly version of the 7 deadly sins and therefore the criticism is of greed, not being fat in and of itself. Although using a fat character to portray greed is low hanging fruit, thinking about it now.

Reactions: 18
It's not even that Augustus was fat that made him awful, it was his greed, the greed made him fat yes, but the greed was the negative character trait that led to his downfall.
exactly! he’s greedy, same way as the other children are spoilt, selfish, not engaged with the real world etc - that’s why he and they are “punished”. changing his description to “enormous” doesn’t change anything about that message 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 18
I’ve always thought it was a child-friendly version of the 7 deadly sins
The book is a thinly-veiled parable for the Holocaust.

A mysterious building, with smoke coming out of several large chimneys, that nobody ever goes into and nobody ever goes out of.

The manic owner invites several people in and physically punishes them because of their undesirable physical traits. He is left with the heir to his kingdom - the blue eyed blonde white boy.

Another reason why it should be made to fade away.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Eddie's borrowed a Harry Styles outfit :ROFLMAO:
im catching up today but why is Eddie borrowing Harry’s suit??? does He have something to tell us??

Also, i thought Patsy got engaged last year… but Maybe I imagined that. Poor woman, hope this one sticks
---

A mysterious building, with smoke coming out of several large chimneys, that nobody ever does into and nobody ever goes out of.

The manic owner invites several people in and physically punishes them because of their undesirable physical traits. He is left with the heir to his kingdom - the blue eyed blonde white boy.

Wow!!! I never heard that. I’m off to investigate

Reactions: 4

But that's not it, he isn't a nice character because of his greed...like all the children in the story really. And fat can be one side affect of greed. Fat wasn't just his one character trait. And when we are in an obesity epidemic (plus all the other forms of greed like materislism), greed being seen as a negative isn't a bad thing.

If you get rid of some words, then in a few years what replaces them will become offensive to someone and off we go again. Everything is getting watered down that we are in danger of very bland generic pieces of art and literature.

It blows my mind that smoking is demonised and people shamed for it but obesity is being encouraged and normalised when they share very similar traits ( both an addiction, often related to mental health, have severe health implications etc).
---
I think getting rid of things like anti-Semitism and racism elements is fine, if the estate have pushed for that. But changing language like fat, I don't get the point of. I heard on the radio fat becomes enormous, which isn't exactly better.
Exactly, I can't understand how fat is bad but enormous is fine.

Reactions: 25

A mysterious building, with smoke coming out of several large chimneys, that nobody ever does into and nobody ever goes out of.

that’s an interesting view of it! my memory is that the only character described as physically undesirable is augustus gloop - the other kids are just annoying but not really appearance forcused. i agree that they’re all physically punished but not by wonka himself, more that he sets up little tasks for them based around their personalities which they then fail (which is why i guess the 7 deadly sins reading works more). though he also makes no effort to save any of them.

god it’s a weird kids book when you look back on it 🤣

Reactions: 12
But that's not it, he isn't a nice character because of his greed...like all the children in the story really. And fat can be one side affect of greed. Fat wasn't just his one character trait. And when we are in an obesity epidemic (plus all the other forms of greed like materislism), greed being seen as a negative isn't a bad thing.

If you get rid of some words, then in a few years what replaces them will become offensive to someone and off we go again. Everything is getting watered down that we are in danger of very bland generic pieces of art and literature.

It blows my mind that smoking is demonised and people shamed for it but obesity is being encouraged and normalised when they share very similar traits ( both an addiction, often related to mental health, have severe health implications etc).
---

Exactly, I can't understand how fat is bad but enormous is fine.
Tbh I’d rather be called fat than enormous! 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 22

A mysterious building, with smoke coming out of several large chimneys, that nobody ever goes into and nobody ever goes out of.

Wow - how interesting. Never saw it from this angle!!

Reactions: 5

Funnily enough I never got any of that when I was reading it as a kid ... I just thought it was the best thing I'd ever read.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Also, i thought Patsy got engaged last year… but Maybe I imagined that. Poor woman, hope this one sticks
There was a story in Popbitch a few weeks (months?) ago about Patsy in a restaurant celebrating her engagement to an older man. Presumably this is the same man. But yes this recent public announcement is a tad odd.

Reactions: 8

Blimey. I'm astonished. It's like when I heard that theory that Danny and Sandy in Grease are dead all along.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Blimey. I'm astonished. It's like when I heard that theory that Danny and Sandy in Grease are dead all along.
that’s one of my favourite movie theories 🤣 don’t people say that’s why they fly away in the car and wave “goodbye” to all their friends at the end?
---
What's this theory?!
if i’m remembering right, the theory is that danny and sandy die on vacation (so not so summer loving) and so return to some kind of high school purgatory where they have to succeed to pass over (so danny becomes a better person, sandy becomes more confident). having done this, they then fly away to heaven in the car at the end 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Wendy was out and about at NYFW this week and looking wonderful.

GettyImages-1466594056-scaled-e1676650105235.jpg

Hopefully she’s “doeh” great!

tumblr_inline_mj62vde2P61qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 4
that’s one of my favourite movie theories 🤣 don’t people say that’s why they fly away in the car and wave “goodbye” to all their friends at the end?
---

if i’m remembering right, the theory is that danny and sandy die on vacation (so not so summer loving) and so return to some kind of high school purgatory where they have to succeed to pass over (so danny becomes a better person, sandy becomes more confident). having done this, they then fly away to heaven in the car at the end 🤣
Wow - just read up about it. Very interesting. Apparently Sandy drowned at the beach in the opening scenes.
Wendy was out and about at NYFW this week and looking wonderful.

View attachment 1974221

Hopefully she’s “doeh” great!

View attachment 1974220
Thrilled to see Wendy looking so healthy!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.