Secret Celeb Gossip #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't stand Sue Perkins. I hated her on Bake Off, constantly messing around with the contestants bakes and (literally) sticking her face into everything. I wasn't a massive fan of Mel either. When they were there it was more "THE MEL AND SUE SHOW (with some baking)"

Noel Fielding really was the best thing to happen to Bake Off.
Oh lordy, I HATED Mel And Sue, they were absolutely atrocious presenters, couldn't understand why their Channel 4 daytime show (Late Lunch, then Light Lunch) rumbled on for a few years. They were embarrassingly hopeless and not entertaining at all.

I find Sue Perkins so insincere and sarcastic - even when she's trying to do serious programmes empathising with other people she just can't hack it. I could be totally wrong about her, but she doesn't come across as likeable on camera. Zero charisma.

The best ever quote I saw about Noel Fielding was from this Cookdandbomd thread by one member, Steven (I liked it so much I posted it to Facebook! I must point out, I wasn't making out it was my own). "...he's like the modern day Marc Bolan but instead of a guitar he uses quarter-arsed surrealism grafted to peacock feathers of whimsy." :p ...and it's probably the best quote from there.

The thread is vicious (as CnB often are) - my sister adored The Mighty Boosh, whereas it just wound me up no end. I couldn't abide Noel during his Boosh days, but...I must admit, I was wrong. He is adorable, sensitive, caring, and great fun on Bake Off. I've grown rather fond of him!

Felt the same way when Stephen Merchant was announced as a new presenter of The Crystal Maze reboot (what happened with that?) - as I loved Richard O'Brien so much.

I ate my words when I watched the show - Stephen was really endearing and amusing. In fact, I think Noel might be a good presenter if they rehash it again, but you really need to stamp your own personality onto such a show, especially from the irrepressible and unique Mr O'Brien, who's quite an act to follow. (I know Ed Tudor-Pole was his immediate successor, but I didn't warm to him).

And yeah, I think Jenny Eclair could be one of the "comedy witches", one quote calls her "feminist to her bones", so she has that descriptor box ticked. Though, this Guardian article calls her "conflict-averse" as well.🤔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I read Carol McGiffin’s autobiography a few years back, written before she was ill. It was good.
I often read celebrity biography books, when I pick them up at the library. But they are so unmemorable, I have forgotten if I have read them a month later....

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I also hated Mel and Sue and def get Ellen vibes from Sue.
I was in a boat with Jenny Eclair in (I think) 2009. It was from Padstow to Rock which is a short journey and I overheard her sniping about someone that had been featured in the BBC staff magazine called Aerial who didn’t deserve the publicity. She was loud and wanted people to recognise her.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Another who is not a fan of Mel and Sue. Don’t get their popularity at all. As someone upthread said, Sue has zero charisma. Mel is just try hard funny and never is. It’s strange what people get picked up by mainstream tv and who go on to thrive.

Do you mean Dulwich Park? Why shouldn’t she be nice??!!
She’s lovely. People tend to leave her be, but I once told her how much my my SIL had enjoyed a touring show of hers and she said to ‘thank her for me’. She’s a good ‘un.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
You would surely be desperate for cash to advertise a vaginal dryness cream. 🤢

Emily Atack has a new boyfriend. Mmm. Not sure this will last....

Emily Atack's new boyfriend is revealed as tattooed model

#

• Haha
  • Wow
You would surely be desperate for cash to advertise a vaginal dryness cream. 🤢

Emily Atack has a new boyfriend. Mmm. Not sure this will last....

Emily Atack's new boyfriend is revealed as tattooed model

#
Those adverts make me cringe inside out!

Reactions: 5
Another who is not a fan of Mel and Sue. Don’t get their popularity at all. As someone upthread said, Sue has zero charisma. Mel is just try hard funny and never is. It’s strange what people get picked up by mainstream tv and who go on to thrive.
Whilst I don’t actively dislike them, I can’t see why they are popular.

I think they met via doing am dram stuff whilst they were both at university in Oxford, At a time when it was relatively cool to have done student comedy stuff at posh universities.

The most interesting thing about them is their career dip. They did Late Lunch etc in the 1990s and early 2000s then couldn’t get arrested for years. Sue Perkins had some work on the Super Scoffers series with Giles Coren but I don’t think Mel did much. I read an interview with her where she said that she’d taken out a big mortgage with her husband on the strength of anticipated TV earnings, then the work dried up. Oops. Then later, when they were offered Bake Off (probably on value grounds) they thought it would be rubbish but said that they would do it just for the money. They are extremely lucky that it caught on.

Reactions: 9

I think they met via doing am dram stuff whilst they were both at university in Oxford, At a time when it was relatively cool to have done student comedy stuff at posh universities.

The most interesting thing about them is their career dip. They did Late Lunch etc in the 1990s and early 2000s then couldn’t get arrested for years. Sue Perkins had some work on the Super Scoffers series with Giles Coren but I don’t think Mel did much. I read an interview with her where she said that she’d taken out a big mortgage with her husband on the strength of anticipated TV earnings, then the work dried up. Oops. Then later, when they were offered Bake Off (probably on value grounds) they thought it would be rubbish but said that they would do it just for the money. They are extremely lucky that it caught on.
I dont mind Sue. She did a gameshow I quite liked too. But as a double act, they are too much. Mel seems a bit too twee and a bit dim ( although she cant be that dim to have gone to Oxford so I presume its a Claudia Winkeman type act, which is more irritating. Clever men never pretend to be stupid)

Giles Coren is an odd one too. I can't quite decide if he's a nice guy who puts on the persona of an arrogant twit or if he actually is one.

Reactions: 11
Re Giles Coren, I think you’d need to be arrogant to be like him. I find him funny actually, but I’m suspicious of anyone who trades off family connections and doesn’t acknowledge it. How did you get your first job on The Times, straight out of university, Giles? It couldn’t be because your father, Alan Coren, wrote columns for them throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s and was a big deal on Fleet Street, could it? Surely not!

How were you appointed to the coveted role of Times restaurant critic in 1993, at the age of 24? Happens all the time to young journalists, doesn’t it?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Only if by ‘turned down’ she means turned down the possible chance to even audition 😂 If she was actually offered the role and turned it down it’s really bad form to say so,
Louise has nothing of substance anymore to sell to the papers so now she is selling what she has seen in her dreams. No way would she have kept this quiet for all these years if it was true.

Her principal skill appears to be attaching herself to men who can advance her career. Her current husband is a colleague and friend of Simon Cowell. Remind us how you got the job on Britain’s Got Talent, Amanda?
She is just so unlikeable! I heard her new song and it seems more suited to the stage than the charts. She is so smug and really needs to get over herself as she is less liked and famous than she thinks. Infamous more like it!

Last edited:
I’ve worked out a backstory to Louise’s “I coulda been a contender” story.

So Friends want to film a story where Ross marries somebody British, featuring a few jolly British celebrities. They approach some London casting agents for a ‘name’ British actress who can play Emily as basically a cameo role. Word gets around (I’m seeing Jane Plough from Toast of London in my mind’s eye) and every wannabe in London wants to be considered.

Including poor old Louise, who is at this time (1997) floundering in showbiz no man’s land, not married to Jamie Redknapp yet, releasing cover versions to try to get into the charts and having tours sponsored by deodorant brands. Tragic.

Louise approaches her agent saying, why aren’t you putting ME forward for this? I’m perfect for this role! Never mind noted actress Helen Baxendale or well known Patsy Kensit.

Her agent tactfully says, no, love, much better for you to go on Top of the Pops (by this time as terminally ill as Louise’s career) to mime your cover version of Let’s Go Round Again or Stuck In The Middle With You. That will be much better for your career in the long run!

Louise knows she is beaten and does as she’s told.

• Haha
  • Heart
Jeez, had a weird "celeb" dream last night. You may recall my horrific nightmare involving Boycey from Only Fools.

Well last night, I dreamt I was in a full blown love affair with Stephen Mangan. He was (in the dream) very sexy, had an amazing body and was a
great lover.

I woke up feeling very flustered. I don't even fancy him in real life, nor have I watched many shows with him in it. 😅 So where did that dream come from??Feel like I've cheated on my fella. 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Jeez, had a weird "celeb" dream last night. You may recall my horrific nightmare involving Boycey from Only Fools.

Well last night, I dreamt I was in a full blown love affair with Stephen Mangan. He was (in the dream) very sexy, had an amazing body and was a
great lover.

I woke up feeling very flustered. I don't even fancy him in real life, nor have I watched many shows with him in it. 😅 So where did that dream come from??Feel like I've cheated on my fella. 😬
Stephen Mangan is in one of my all time favourite shows, Episodes. I’ve watched the whole lot several times over. It usually gives me (welcome) filthy Matt Le Blanc dreams though.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.