Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not scary but mega disturbing....Requiem for a dream. Never have seen a more disturbing movie before or since. I actually felt really uneasy after it.
I agree.

I think I've already mentioned Mulholland Drive, but David Lynch movies always have such a weird, nightmarish quality. Inland Empire and Lost Highway are another couple of his that are like a relentless fever dream.

Reactions: 2
If anyone is looking for a creepy film to watch 'The Skelton Key' is now on Netflix. Kate Hudson and Peter Sarsgaard. Worth a watch IMO.

Reactions: 3
Threads.
Still chills me to the core.
Didn't watch it as a kid because I was already terrified of nuclear war (early 1980s).
Because it was filmed in the North (Sheffield- I'm from Leeds) and used many of the community as 'extras', it seemed so naturalistic and believable, which, for me, means that no horror film, etc. has ever come quite as close (for fear reaction).

Ghostwatch was a lark, too, but I suspected it was a 'hoax' quite early on.

A man goes into a ‘phone box to make a call.
If memory serves me correctly (which isn’t always the case!), the ’phone doesn’t work so he attempts to leave but the door won’t open.
Onlookers try to get him out but no luck.
Then…
I won’t spoil it in case you want to watch it. It’s only a short film, 40 minutes I think and it’s in Spanish with English subtitles.
It’s not a horror in the sense of blood and gore and jumping out of your skin.
I was only 17 or 18 when I first watched it alone, late at night so perhaps that’s why it’s stayed with me.
Even though I’ve posted the YouTube link to it I’ve not watched it again. Perhaps now I’m older it wouldn’t chill me as much. As I said, it’s not a scream out loud, blood and gore type film.
It’s hard to explain tbh without spoiling it but @Lady_H said she never forgot it either and probably for the same reasons as me.
I watched La Cabina. Thought it was really good. Reminded me similar to Tales of the Unexpected. I can see why it would have been scary more as a kid. I enjoyed the simple but bizarre premise.

Reactions: 4
I watched La Cabina. Thought it was really good. Reminded me similar to Tales of the Unexpected. I can see why it would have been scary more as a kid. I enjoyed the simple but bizarre premise.
I had never seen it and watched the link posted. I also thought it had a 'Tales of The Unexpected' vibe. 👍

Threads.
Still chills me to the core.
Didn't watch it as a kid because I was already terrified of nuclear war (early 1980s).
Because it was filmed in the North (Sheffield- I'm from Leeds) and used many of the community as 'extras', it seemed so naturalistic and believable, which, for me, means that no horror film, etc. has ever come quite as close (for fear reaction).

Ghostwatch was a lark, too, but I suspected it was a 'hoax' quite early on.
Oh my christ Is never heard of threads but just googled it and watched a trailer! That looks horrendous 😱

Reactions: 1
Oh my christ Is never heard of threads but just googled it and watched a trailer! That looks horrendous 😱
I had never seen it but watched it recently... ended up falling asleep to it... not a good idea. It is really realistic, I wonder if something similar would be made today? like Ghostwatch I couldn't imagine either, there would have to be a million warnings about it for people's sensitivities I imagine

One of the creepiest films I’ve seen is The Others with Nicole Kidman. Genuinely think it’s one of the best psychological horror films I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t seem to get spoken about much but I love it, it’s so atmospheric.

Reactions: 10
The Strangers scared me, mainly because of the fact the murderers had no motive - they were just hunting people because they happened to be in.

Saw 7 had me checking the back of my car for some weeks - this was not something I’d chosen to watch and I hadn’t seen the previous ones.

Oh and one that I found particularly scary and disturbing is a Japanese film with torture scenes called ‘Imprint’. That one is f*ed up!

One of mine is an episode of Taggart, I was about 8 when I saw it, the murderer was played by Dougray Scott and he was murdering people by putting snakes and spiders in their beds or shopping. I remember as a child one scene showing a woman trying to talk and blood coming out of her mouth and eyes really freaked me out, and my parents had to check my bed every night for months before I'd go to sleep.

The Haunting of Hill House really spooked me out. There was no way I could watch that on my own at night. I really wanted to watch it though but could never find the right opportunity. However, I ended up on a psychiatric unit and was placed on 2 to 1 observations so I thought, if any chance, here's my chance to watch that show as I'm never gonna be alone 😂 I watched the entire series and wow, good job I watched it while I was on observation because it was super creepy and had lots of jump scares. Thank you staff for keeping me safe from ghosties in the dark 😁👍

Reactions: 4
One of mine is an episode of Taggart, I was about 8 when I saw it, the murderer was played by Dougray Scott and he was murdering people by putting snakes and spiders in their beds or shopping. I remember as a child one scene showing a woman trying to talk and blood coming out of her mouth and eyes really freaked me out, and my parents had to check my bed every night for months before I'd go to sleep.
yes I remember that!! The snake going into the side of the divan bed 😱🤮

Another vote for Ghostwatch from me. Although it was advertised as a drama and there was a cast list within the Radio Times and a "Written By" credit at the start for the fantastic Steven Volk, many were taken in by it simply because many viewers tuned in late - I believe there was a film on ITV which finished about half an hour after Ghostwatch started. These days you'll often find a Most Haunted/Ghost Adventures/Paranormal Lockdown show somewhere on TV but back in 1992 these shows were unheard of.

For those that haven't seen it, please try and track it down. I think you really have to transport yourself back to 1992. Forget about the internet where you can instantly join in with the discussions to "call it out" for being a drama and so on. I revisit it every now and then. The acting isn't the best but it is very enjoyable. A funny story I heard about the production was that Judi Dench was friends with Gillian Beavan who played the parapsychologist role - Dench left her a voicemail telling her she had ruined the film for her because she obviously knew she was an actress and not a ghost hunter.

Another favourite of mine is Dead End from 2003 - It tells the story of a dysfunctional family who find themselves on a neverending road in the middle of a forest during a routine drive on Christmas Eve. It is scary, funny and you are left with that feeling of looking over your shoulder after you have seen it.
Late to the party answering your comment, but I loved Dead End! I’d forgotten all about it. Brilliant film.

Also another vote for Ghostwatch from me. I was 5 at the time and have been nervy of the dark ever since I watched it that night.

Eden Lake is pretty good too. It being British makes it a bit more real for me.

The Entity scared me to death when I saw about ten mins of it once. I was quite young though and had snuck downstairs to get a drink.

Sinister - those videotapes are creepy as hell.

Martyrs - was very disturbing and I’d never watch it again or recommend to anyone who is easily affected by things. It bothered me for ages.

The Human Centipede - 🤮

I’ve never seen it but I remember reading the synopsis of A Serbian Film on Wikipedia and just reading that really bothered me. I could never watch it. I struggle to even comprehend how someone could come up with the idea of it.

The Human Centipede - 🤮

I’ve never seen it but I remember reading the synopsis of A Serbian Film on Wikipedia and just reading that really bothered me. I could never watch it. I struggle to even comprehend how someone could come up with the idea of it.
I came across this one night while flicking channels. It had just started so had no idea what it was about. I couldn't believe what I was watching....and couldn't even turn it off I was so dumbfounded. The actors must have been really desperate for cash to even consider filming it!

I came across this one night while flicking channels. It had just started so had no idea what it was about. I couldn't believe what I was watching....and couldn't even turn it off I was so dumbfounded. The actors must have been really desperate for cash to even consider filming it!
Is that The Human Centipede or A Serbian Film you were watching, as your quote mentions both.