Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Warpaint

VIP Member
It's cool to slate Blair Witch now but back in the day I thought it was pretty scary. It had a good sense of realism about it, I think the thing that let it down is that the leads were all incredibly annoying. The end scene is still pretty chilling.

Reactions: 28

HockyRorror

VIP Member
Films:

Fire Walk With Me: I found it creepy and unsettling.

Eden Lake: Not a typical horror film but felt so REAL that it was genuinely horrifying.

Hostel: Not so much scary but disgustingly gross.

TV:

Twin Peaks: The typical scariest parts were bad enough but even just the shots with the long pauses where nobody says or does anything creeps me out.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: Not scary now but as a child - TERRIFYING! 😱😭

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Meh

Chatty Member
I think a lot of episodes of Luther actually have nightmare fuel material in them:-

The guy slithering out from under the bed
The same guy hiding up the loft and floor boards all creaking
The entire Spring Heel Jack episodes were pretty creepy. That mask 😭

The absolute worst from the most recent series: the guy on the night bus.

FUCK ME 😭🤮

Reactions: 20
It's cool to slate Blair Witch now but back in the day I thought it was pretty scary. It had a good sense of realism about it, I think the thing that let it down is that the leads were all incredibly annoying. The end scene is still pretty chilling.

See I know I'm in the minority but I thought and still think Blair Witch was incredible. I loved it and thought it was so original and chilling. Most people I know hate it.

Reactions: 20

Emperor

Chatty Member
Ghostwatch with everyone else. My parents were out so I watched it uninterrupted and was so close to filling my pants I turned off the moment it finished, thus missing the fact that it was an acted, scripted show.

For some reason, the end of 'The Others' (I think it's only a 12 or something) really gave me the chills. On recommendation from random searches, I've got something called 'Rorschach' on YouTube to watch which is apparently very scary.

Reactions: 17
Ghostwatch. Say no more. 😬😬
This scared the absolute b'jesus out of me when it aired. I had just turned 11 and stayed up to watch it like a badass, massively regretted it. I've seen it many times since and even though the acting is horrendous, I still find the concept and story very frightening.

Reactions: 17

Instashamous

The woman in black -I think is a 12 but it scared the shit out of me 😂 I’d seen the play which is also terrifying.
there was a show a few years ago (I think Whitechapel but it might not have been) where a couple are lying in bed and the killer comes through the ceiling?! That was awful too

Reactions: 16

Boobabz83

Watership down, haven't watched it for around 20 years and still can't bring myself to watch it haha! Xx

Reactions: 16

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
I've watched a lot of horror, especially as a teen. The Shining scared the shit out of me, more recently (sort of) Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Some truly creepy scenes that have stayed with me even 8 years later.

Reactions: 15

xcxcx87

That soun
There is a film called O lucky Man! with Malcom McDowell, it is a weird disjointed film with powerful themes and imagery. One scene in particular is terrifying to watch - a man volunteers to be a guinea pig for some kind of medical research. Malcom McDowell's character accompanies him. The man awakes after the procedure, to McDowell's absolute horror, the man has the body of a pig. McDowell lets out a blood curdling scream, it is a truly terrifying scene.
That sounds a bit like tusk. That is absolutely gross. He gets turned into a walrus

Omg
Films:

Fire Walk With Me: I found it creepy and unsettling.

Eden Lake: Not a typical horror film but felt so REAL that it was genuinely horrifying.

Hostel: Not so much scary but disgustingly gross.

TV:

Twin Peaks: The typical scariest parts were bad enough but even just the shots with the long pauses where nobody says or does anything creeps me out.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: Not scary now but as a child - TERRIFYING! 😱😭
Omg I loved are you afraid of the dark. I still do. I watch them on YouTube. Not scary anymore but nostalgic I just love them. I preferred that over goosebumps back in the day. Also strange but true terrified me as a kid

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 14

a.squonk

Watched Poltergeist aged 11. Gave me nightmares for years. The bloody clown coming from under the bed.
Oh and Hellraiser! Pinhead scared the shit out of me.

Poltergeist! I saw it as a kid as well. That clown doll sneaking up on the little girl was legitimately terrifying. The tree coming through the window scared me for years

The Exorcist - seen it once, brilliant film, but never watching it again

The Omen (the old one) - when he's creeping around the house at the end trying to kidnap Damien. The graveyard with the jackals

Salem's Lot - James Mason slinking around and putting kids in binbags for his vampire master to nom on later. The coffin moving up the van

The Box of Delights - no one seems to remember this one, it's this amazing surreal 1980s BBC kid's serial, but it has some really creepy moments.

Ring / Ringu - have mercy I'm never watching those again

The Soft Mints advert from the early 1990s where everything in the world is sort of lumpy and soft and pillow shaped and the postbox laughs manically as Mr Soft strides past in his horrible pillow world way, drawling 'Mrrrrr Soffttttt' like he's just had a stroke. It freaked me out so much as kid I refused go near postboxes for a while 🤣🤣

Edit: right you can all share my pain, I've found that bloody Mr Soft advert and it's just as creepy as I remember:

Mr Softttttt

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
Watership down, haven't watched it for around 20 years and still can't bring myself to watch it haha! Xx
Absolutely cannot bring myself to watch it even once. I get overcome if I even hear a few seconds of Bright Eyes 😆

Has anyone ever seen Threads? That's one that I'm too scared to watch. Heard loads of people say they were traumatised after it!

Reactions: 13

Lorny

VIP Member
Two horror movies I’ve really enjoyed but would never watch again are Babadook and Hereditary. Something about them made me feel so uneasy. I love horror but rarely come across anything decent these days. Those two stand out for me.
Really have to agree with Babadook. I’ve seen it a couple of times and even the second time it creeped me out.

I remember watching the original Japanese version of the Ring when I was about 14 and asking my dad if I could sleep in with him and my mum as I sure as hell wasn’t sleeping alone 😂😂

Reactions: 13

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Years ago there was a series called 'Armchair Thrillers' and there was one particular episode that totally freaked me out and that was 'Quiet As A Nun' ... Nun in a rocking chair scene.

I watched 'The Nun' recently and it reminded me of it.

Nuns are always good for a scare.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
Return to Oz I remember watching it with my sister at my grandparents, even now thinking of The Wheelers makes me shudder and it’s been 20+ years.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I've watched a lot of horror, especially as a teen. The Shining scared the shit out of me, more recently (sort of) Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Some truly creepy scenes that have stayed with me even 8 years later.

I've also watch a lot of horror. It's my favourite genre and as such I don't really find them scary but occasionally one does leave you feeling very uncomfortable. One of those films for me was 'Sinister'. Really unnerving and creepy. I started watching it one night and switched it off because I felt unnerved but was strangely drawn back to it the next day to finish it. I've never watched it again and never watched the sequels.

As a teenager 'Salem's Lot' was my scariest TV. I made sure all the windows were shut for months afterwards 😂

• Haha
The Ring - the ghost girl was creepy as fuck
The Human Centipede- stumbled upon it by accident one night and couldn't believe what I was watching. Not really scary but totally gross 🤢
The Evil Dead - watched it as a kid & it scared the bejesus out of me
Can't watch Hostel or Saw movies - too gruesome

• Heart