Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Films:

Fire Walk With Me: I found it creepy and unsettling.

Eden Lake: Not a typical horror film but felt so REAL that it was genuinely horrifying.

Hostel: Not so much scary but disgustingly gross.

TV:

Twin Peaks: The typical scariest parts were bad enough but even just the shots with the long pauses where nobody says or does anything creeps me out.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: Not scary now but as a child - TERRIFYING! 😱😭

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I'm sure loads will come to mind, but just at the weekend I watched The Lighthouse which was very creepy and atmospheric.

Mulholland Drive is one the closest depictions of an actual nightmare that I can think of.

Same thing goes for the original TV dramatisation, 'Whistle and I'll Come to You' from the 60's.

Reactions: 3
An American crime! Scary as it is based on the horrific true story of Sylvia likens 🥴

Reactions: 2
Ghostwatch. Say no more. 😬😬
This scared the absolute b'jesus out of me when it aired. I had just turned 11 and stayed up to watch it like a badass, massively regretted it. I've seen it many times since and even though the acting is horrendous, I still find the concept and story very frightening.

Reactions: 17
This scared the absolute b'jesus out of me when it aired. I had just turned 11 and stayed up to watch it like a badass, massively regretted it. I've seen it many times since and even though the acting is horrendous, I still find the concept and story very frightening.
I think many of around that age feel the same. It was one of those unforgettable childhood moments that almost everyone experienced due to there only being four TV channels at the time. Chilling stuff.

Reactions: 6
Ghostwatch with everyone else. My parents were out so I watched it uninterrupted and was so close to filling my pants I turned off the moment it finished, thus missing the fact that it was an acted, scripted show.

For some reason, the end of 'The Others' (I think it's only a 12 or something) really gave me the chills. On recommendation from random searches, I've got something called 'Rorschach' on YouTube to watch which is apparently very scary.

Reactions: 17
I’ve never seen or heard of Ghostwatch. Do you think watching it as an adult in 2021 it would still be scary or is it one of those ones where watching it as a child, you carry the fear with you into adulthood and so it’s still scary but only because of the memories?

Reactions: 6
I love horror movies but I cannot finish Krampus 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 it gives me the serious creeps

Reactions: 4
I’ve never seen or heard of Ghostwatch. Do you think watching it as an adult in 2021 it would still be scary or is it one of those ones where watching it as a child, you carry the fear with you into adulthood and so it’s still scary but only because of the memories?
Honestly don't know. With improved speakers etc, the sound, what there was, would be more powerful but what was so scary for me was that, at least what my memory tells me, was that it was built up over a week or so, with the emphasis that it was totally real, almost a bit Blair Witchy in that sense. I'm still not completely comfortable with the dark so I would imagine if I was alone, in the dark and watched it now it would give me at least a few jumpy moments.

• Wow
There is a film called O lucky Man! with Malcom McDowell, it is a weird disjointed film with powerful themes and imagery. One scene in particular is terrifying to watch - a man volunteers to be a guinea pig for some kind of medical research. Malcom McDowell's character accompanies him. The man awakes after the procedure, to McDowell's absolute horror, the man has the body of a pig. McDowell lets out a blood curdling scream, it is a truly terrifying scene.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
That soun
There is a film called O lucky Man! with Malcom McDowell, it is a weird disjointed film with powerful themes and imagery. One scene in particular is terrifying to watch - a man volunteers to be a guinea pig for some kind of medical research. Malcom McDowell's character accompanies him. The man awakes after the procedure, to McDowell's absolute horror, the man has the body of a pig. McDowell lets out a blood curdling scream, it is a truly terrifying scene.
That sounds a bit like tusk. That is absolutely gross. He gets turned into a walrus

Omg
Films:

Fire Walk With Me: I found it creepy and unsettling.

Eden Lake: Not a typical horror film but felt so REAL that it was genuinely horrifying.

Hostel: Not so much scary but disgustingly gross.

TV:

Twin Peaks: The typical scariest parts were bad enough but even just the shots with the long pauses where nobody says or does anything creeps me out.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: Not scary now but as a child - TERRIFYING! 😱😭
Omg I loved are you afraid of the dark. I still do. I watch them on YouTube. Not scary anymore but nostalgic I just love them. I preferred that over goosebumps back in the day. Also strange but true terrified me as a kid

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
I've watched a lot of horror, especially as a teen. The Shining scared the tit out of me, more recently (sort of) Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Some truly creepy scenes that have stayed with me even 8 years later.

Reactions: 15
I've watched a lot of horror, especially as a teen. The Shining scared the tit out of me, more recently (sort of) Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Some truly creepy scenes that have stayed with me even 8 years later.
Yes sinister is so creepy ! The sequel also .

The thing about Ghostwatch was that they trailed it for days on the BBC, including on kids shows like Going Live, so everyone who watched it went into it thinking it was going to be some mildly scary Halloween thing. It was presented by a respected broadcaster in Michael Parkinson, the reporter at the house was Sarah Green, kids TV presenter. Craig Charles was on it too. It was all set up to be a suitable, legitimate BBC broadcast.

We weren't expecting the sights or the sounds we saw, nor did we expect to see much-loved TV presenters being 'posessed'. It was the whole build up to it. To an adult now, it probably seems tame, but there's an entire generation of kids who were tit-scared of it, and rightly so. The BBC were irresponsible in their billing of the show. There was a 10 year ban on it being repeated, and I don't think they ever have, but its on YouTube. I think you probably had to be there at the time to get the full effect. I've seen brief clips of it since, and I still don't understand how they thought it wouldn't cause a problem with children.

Sinister is one of the few horror films I have actually watched in recent years, yet I hardly see it mentioned for some reason. I agree, very creepy. Good film too, a cut above the usual stuff from the genre.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10