Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for mentioning that @FenellaTheWitch, I'd be interested in seeing that as well. I love John Hurt, great actor, I might well check that out, see how it compares to the original version, cheers (y)
MR James is underrated.

I really enjoyed The Mezzotint with Rory Kinnear that was shown at Christmas. It was a Mark Gatiss adaptation. Very spooky.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The most horrifying thing I've watched which actually deeply disturbed me was 'Mother' with Jennifer Lawrence.

Also another disturbing one is Hereditary... My boyfriend asked me if we can skip parts, he couldn't cope 😂

The exorcist theme tune is the ringtone on my phone 😂
you should have the twins in your pic telling Danny to come play with them 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I love M R James and his ghost stories, I think this is one of the best adaptations of his work.
Whistle and I'll come to you.
It still scares me,even now!

Woops 😁 just realised @Woolmercardington, already mentioned it, (I should have double checked?
Oh well...great minds think alike and all that (y)
Still it's worth a watch if anyone is in the mood 🤷‍♀️ just don't do what I did, and watch it alone in the dark! 😁 That wasn't the best idea. LOL.
I loved the original. Genuinely very scary. The bedsheet ghost!!!! 😱😱😱

Didn't like the John Hurt remake, though. A great actor but I didn't think it was a patch on the original.

Trilogy of Terror 1975, with Karen Black (great actress that seems to have been forgotten about a bit) :eek: OMG the final segment I'm scared just thinking about it. :oops:

Here it is if anyone wants to check it out. I don't know if I have the nerve to watch it again. 😁

La Cabina, a Spanish film which I watched by myself as a teenager late at night years ago and never fully recovered from! It’s about a man stuck in a phone booth who can’t get out, and can’t get anyone else to help him. It was such a simple idea and so incredibly chilling.
I’m not into horror at all but I remember this. It was aired very late at night (I caught it twice when I couldn’t sleep - it didn’t help!) I think the first time was in the late 80s. I can always remember the horror on the trapped man’s face when he knew he’d have the same fate. It’s probably very tame compared to the other films posted but, as I said, I’m not a fan of horror - perhaps this is why!

Last edited:
I’m not into horror at all but I remember this. It was aired very late at night (I caught it twice when I couldn’t sleep - it didn’t help!) I think the first time was in the late 80s. I can always remember the horror on the trapped man’s face when he knew he’d have the same fate. It’s probably very tame compared to the other films posted but, as I said, I’m not a fan of horror - perhaps this is why!

I’m delighted to find someone else who saw it! Late 80s for me too, I think on Channel 4, also watching when I couldn’t sleep. And I agree, it was that final moment of his terrible realisation of his fate that has stayed with me. A simple, brilliant concept, really - although I’d happily never have come across it 🤔. Even now I can’t bring myself to watch it again!

(sorry, not through the entire thread yet)

I'm not into horror at all but when I was younger and more stupid I couldn't resist watching a few, even though I knew that it would end with me being scared shitless.
Probably totally lame movies for some but I never recovered from The Ring and even (wtfh?) went to see The Ring 2 in the cinema and watched the Japanese original Ringu at home. Didn't sleep for days each time and I had an Ikea chair that kinda looked like the one Samara was sitting on. Had to put it somewhere I at least couldn't see it from my bed. I was fourteen or something like that, it's been 18 years since I last saw them and I still hate being in a hotel room where there's a TV directly across from the bed. Every time I see something like that I get flashbacks from her crawling out of that screen (boyfriend always assuring me that it's a flatscreen nowadays, she wouldn't fit 😶)

Also hated Blair Witch 2 project for years and wouldn't watch it again. Saw it at a sleepover party at twelve or thirteen and I was scared for weeks to pull over a curtain as I kept thinking that this dead girl was suddenly appearing behind it.

Scariest film I've ever seen was paranormal activity when it came out, watched it at the cinema. That night I couldn't sleep with the light off and had to make sure no doors were closed in the house! I was about 18 ffs..😁. It was true what they were saying about it though when it came out, some people weren't able to sleep just like when the exorcist came out. I thought 2 and 3 were also scary at the pictures.
Also, the film hereditary. 😫 Honestly. Thought about this one for days after. Disturbing.

Just remembered another one, very recent series on Netflix called Archive81. The atmosphere is quite intense and since I'm scared of things coming out of a screen, I didn't appreciate it happening. Had a nightmare about it twice even it's not particularly scary while watching it.

Reactions: 4
You both make this sound really interesting? What is it about briefly?
A man goes into a ‘phone box to make a call.
If memory serves me correctly (which isn’t always the case!), the ’phone doesn’t work so he attempts to leave but the door won’t open.
Onlookers try to get him out but no luck.
Then…
I won’t spoil it in case you want to watch it. It’s only a short film, 40 minutes I think and it’s in Spanish with English subtitles.
It’s not a horror in the sense of blood and gore and jumping out of your skin.
I was only 17 or 18 when I first watched it alone, late at night so perhaps that’s why it’s stayed with me.
Even though I’ve posted the YouTube link to it I’ve not watched it again. Perhaps now I’m older it wouldn’t chill me as much. As I said, it’s not a scream out loud, blood and gore type film.
It’s hard to explain tbh without spoiling it but @Lady_H said she never forgot it either and probably for the same reasons as me.

If memory serves me correctly (which isn’t always the case!), the ’phone doesn’t work so he attempts to leave but the door won’t open.
Then…
I won’t spoil it in case you want to watch it. It’s only a short film, 40 minutes I think and it’s in Spanish with English subtitles.
I was only 17 or 18 when I first watched it alone, late at night so perhaps that’s why it’s stayed with me.
Even though I’ve posted the YouTube link to it I’ve not watched it again. Perhaps now I’m older it wouldn’t chill me as much. As I said, it’s not a scream out loud, blood and gore type film.
It’s hard to explain tbh without spoiling it but @Lady_H said she never forgot it either and probably for the same reasons as me.
Ooh I just watched it on YouTube. That poor man!

Reactions: 1
Then…
Ah, great. Didn't realise it was a short film. I'll give it a watch.

I was just thinking of movies that I'd seen growing up, does anyone remember this film, I watched it with my best friend when we were teenagers, that seems like an age ago :p.
It's pretty effective and well made from what I remember, also has a pretty good soundtrack and (for the time, 1972) pretty good special effects.
It's all about the Knights Templar.. .(always a good topic for horror films I think).

Oh they are not showing it 😬 strange because I've shared other 18 classified movies before, oh well 🤷‍♀️

The film title is Tombs of the blind dead.

Here is another good film featuring the Knights Templar, the Church 1989, produced by Dario Argento, a maestro of the horror genre....Deep red, Suspiria etc he's another one of my favourite directors.

Here is Suspiria 1977 by Dario Argento (as previously mentioned) I think this is my favourite horror movie, closely followed by Possession 1981 by Andrzej Zulawski.

It's like a nightmare/fairy tale with one of the best (imo) movie soundtracks of all time, by the legendary band the Goblins.

Oh sorry for that it's not letting me share it, I think I'm having one of those nights.... nevermind 😬 I tried 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Just remembered another one, very recent series on Netflix called Archive81. The atmosphere is quite intense and since I'm scared of things coming out of a screen, I didn't appreciate it happening. Had a nightmare about it twice even it's not particularly scary while watching it.
Yeah I enjoyed that, was a slow burner at first but got a bit scary st the end haha

Has anyone watched the syfy Chucky series? I’m watching it at the moment it’s pretty good. Easy watch, it’s not scary, more gory teen comedy. It’s decent.

Not scary but mega disturbing....Requiem for a dream. Never have seen a more disturbing movie before or since. I actually felt really uneasy after it.