Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Loved Midsommer, but there's a few bits that freaked me out!
veronica on Netflix is good and scary, based on a true story.

Reactions: 3
The exorcist scarred me for years. I still can't hear tubular bells without getting a sweat on

Reactions: 4
The exorcist scarred me for years. I still can't hear tubular bells without getting a sweat on
Did you see it when it was first out? I imagine it would have had much more impact then, when that sort of full-on horror wasn't so widespread.

Reactions: 1
Did you see it when it was first out? I imagine it would have had much more impact then, when that sort of full-on horror wasn't so widespread.
I was about 11 when I watched it. My best friends dad has acquired a pirated copy of the uncut version and warned us not to watch it. He kept it in the shed and told us a story of how it was cursed. Of course, we couldn't resist. We came running down the stairs to her Dad pissing himself and we had royally been set up to never ignore him again!

• Haha
  • Heart
I watched 'Midsommar' last night.

I expected good things as it had good reviews but I found it bit meh. Mainly because it was a rip off of 'The Wicker Man'.

Jesus Christ I shouldn’t be looking at this thread at this time in the morning

Intrigued about Ghostwatch.. has anybody watched it as an adult since it came out? Is it still scary?
I didn't watch it as a child but watched it recently as I had heard about it on some kind of youtube commentary channel, I didn't find it scary as I knew it wasn't real but I did think how it was done it seemed very realistic, as mich because of who the presenters were as anything else, as someone else said it is the same kind of thing as the Blair Witch Project, scary if you thought it was real

Reactions: 1
I tried to watch this once a good few years back.. had to give up because I couldn't stop laughing. what on earth was going on when people were being carried out of cinemas etc at the time?

Have we had any votes for the original TV series of Salems Lot with the boy at the window? I recall that scared the crap out of everyone at my school

Two horror movies I’ve really enjoyed but would never watch again are Babadook and Hereditary. Something about them made me feel so uneasy. I love horror but rarely come across anything decent these days. Those two stand out for me.
have to say that again I was baffled at Babadook. a grown man told me it scared him.. to me it was pretty dull.. oh a book turns up somewhere zz

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I tried to watch this once a good few years back.. had to give up because I couldn't stop laughing. what on earth was going on when people were being carried out of cinemas etc at the time?

Have we had any votes for the original TV series of Salems Lot with the boy at the window? I recall that scared the crap out of everyone at my school

Yep. Salems Lot has had a couple of shout outs. I think it helps enormously in that it has James Mason in it. Love him as an actor.

I think I may rewatch it tonight.

Films like wolf creek scare me more than films about possession because they're more realistic. Anything to do with being stalked, hunted, chased or home invasions terrify me.

I was 12 when I first saw the Exorcist. The only creepy thing about it was the music.
I actually found it quite comical - the girl turning crusty, spewing vomit, the bed shaking and her speaking in a silly voice etc. I suppose at that age I didn't have any knowledge of demonic possession or supernatural goings ons so I didn't quite get it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Jesus Christ, I’ve just been reading up on this - sounds absolutely horrific!

Eden Lake and Wolf Creek were the two that really really got me. 😱
Oh gosh yes Eden Lake. I was just wondering what the title of this film i saw was n it's Eden Lake . that flick is hella scary..

1986 film called The Hitcher - anything stalker- ish sends my fear factor sky high
I saw this about 100 times with the aid of video. I used to be able to recite all the dialogue..and had a massive poster on my wall when I was at Uni bought in one of those poster sales. It covered andentire wall. I wonder if I still could recite the script.. must try some day

whats that one with Donald Pleasance set on the Underground?

1986 film called The Hitcher - anything stalker- ish sends my fear factor sky high
The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe!
saw it in the cinema. my massive burly male flatmate kept jumping and squealing...

The vanishing 1988 Danish version
I wouldn't say it scared me so much as haunted me I saw it as a teenager and have never forgotten it.
It's about a women who goes missing at a gas station and her boyfriend spends the entire film trying to find out what happened?
He finally connects to the people responsible and basically the only way he can find out what happened is to have the same thing happen to him!
I won't spoil it by writing what he has to go through but it's terrifying!
It's just so abstractly cruel and I think those are the films that scare me the most!
Passion fear and hatred even revenge we can on one level or another relate to but when something is basically like a sadistic experiment on human beings it chills us because in a way it's devoid of feeling and humanity.
another vote for The Original Vanishing but I thought it was Dutch..

I once saw one late night in a hotel on terrestrial before sat and cable and I have never been able to track it down..It was about a woman who shut her husband in a box and then he got out and did the same to her.. or it could have been vice versa. I want to say it had Jennifer Jason Leigh in it but i'm not sure.. I know the guy in it was kinda cute

Films like wolf creek scare me more than films about possession because they're more realistic. Anything to do with being stalked, hunted, chased or home invasions terrify me.

I was 12 when I first saw the Exorcist. The only creepy thing about it was the music.
I actually found it quite comical - the girl turning crusty, spewing vomit, the bed shaking and her speaking in a silly voice etc. I suppose at that age I didn't have any knowledge of demonic possession or supernatural goings ons so I didn't quite get it.
I felt the same in my 30s when it came on tv

Attachments

Last edited:

have to say that again I was baffled at Babadook. a grown man told me it scared him.. to me it was pretty dull.. oh a book turns up somewhere zz
In my defence, I was 11..

I once saw one late night in a hotel on terrestrial before sat and cable and I have never been able to track it down..It was about a woman who shut her husband in a box and then he got out and did the same to her.. or it could have been vice versa. I want to say it had Jennifer Jason Leigh in it but i'm not sure.. I know the guy in it was kinda cute
If you’ve got a Reddit account there’s a thread called ‘tip of my tongue’ - post this and someone will identify it, probably within an hour!

Looking through Jennifer Jason Leigh's IMDB it's probably Buried Alive from 1990.