Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another good, creepy, atmospheric film I was thinking about recently is 'What Lies Beneath' with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer.

I haven't seen anything worth posting about lately but I am looking forward to 'Midnight Mass' which is coming to Netflix.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
A short film called Sister Lulu... sad and creepy

Also a film called The Pledge, a detective played by Jack Nicholson tries to solve the murder of a little girl. The killer is a man who appears in the background of a few scenes but never actually features.

Reactions: 2
Any upcoming horrors you guys are excited to see?
I can’t wait to watch Candyman and Malignant

Any upcoming horrors you guys are excited to see?
I can’t wait to watch Candyman and Malignant
I'm really not sure about the new Candyman. The original was very creepy and bleak. I'll probably watch it at some stage.

I'm looking forward to the new Conjuring 3 and a series on Netflix which is due soon called Midnight Mass.

Reactions: 3
There’s an episode of The X Files called ‘Home’ about some inbred brothers who keep their Mum on a board with wheels under the bed. She has no arms or legs and they procreate with her and sacrifice the babies or something. Can’t even watch it now 20 years later. Scared me to the core!!!!!!!

Watched Candyman when I was about 12 and didn’t sleep for years. Again, can’t watch it now.

The first time I watched Scream I was 13 and it terrified me to the point of pure panic. I fell in love with it a few years later though and then became obsessed with that era of horror slasher flicks. I had a collection of videos of the old ones like Halloween and the like…!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
There’s an episode of The X Files called ‘Home’ about some inbred brothers who keep their Mum on a board with wheels under the bed. She has no arms or legs and they procreate with her and sacrifice the babies or something. Can’t even watch it now 20 years later. Scared me to the core!!!!!!!

Watched Candyman when I was about 12 and didn’t sleep for years. Again, can’t watch it now.
I love that episode of The X files, there's a song that keeps playing in it too, it's quite atmospheric.

I preferred Candy man 2 to the first one , it has more backstory.

The vigil and the pact on netflix. Found them both pretty creepy in an atmospheric, genuine scare sort of way rather than cgi demons a la insidious (although i do love that too tbf)

Reactions: 1
Mysterious Skin is a very disturbing film
I had to check I didn’t initially include this in my OP. I don’t find it scary but I agree it’s very disturbing and it’s one of the best films I’ve ever watched. But I’ve only Watched it once. I’ll watch it again some day, but it will take a LOT of work to steel myself to be up to doing it.

• Heart
I watched Ghostwatch back when I was 11 and it scared the living daylights out of me. Me and my sisters used to be allowed to go downstairs on the weekend and help ourselves to cereal and stick the telly on so we watched it the morning after it was on, I can remember clearly us scoffing frosties straight from the box, and even though my mum had already told me it wasn't real I was terrified! My sisters were only 5 and 6 too!! For years afterwards I would imagine seeing a ghostly figure in the corner of my room and the possessed voice - jesus!!!!!

As an adult I'm a real wuss with horror - I used to quite enjoy a scary film but since having kids, I just can't put myself through it. I remember being up at all hours feeding the baby and just my imagination going into overdrive!

The original Candyman scared the tit out of me when I was a young teen and haven’t watched it again since. I saw Blair Witch at the cinema and was bored, I think because of all the hype around it, I thought I would be terrified and I wasn’t. I am planning on watching it again to see if I have a different perspective now. Saw Poltergeist when I was 10 and that scared me. I’m looking forward to the new Halloween coming out.

The vanishing 1988 Danish version
I wouldn't say it scared me so much as haunted me I saw it as a teenager and have never forgotten it.
It's about a women who goes missing at a gas station and her boyfriend spends the entire film trying to find out what happened?
He finally connects to the people responsible and basically the only way he can find out what happened is to have the same thing happen to him!
I won't spoil it by writing what he has to go through but it's terrifying!
It's just so abstractly cruel and I think those are the films that scare me the most!
Passion fear and hatred even revenge we can on one level or another relate to but when something is basically like a sadistic experiment on human beings it chills us because in a way it's devoid of feeling and humanity.

Which reminds me of funny games the original which again is disturbing for the same reasons!

I've watched so many horror films that I have a high tolerance now but those above mentioned films still disturbed me?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rosemary's baby that still has the power to shock or unsettle but for the opposite reason.... because it stretches the imagination but it's still within the bounds of plausibility?
That scene where she tries to flee the apartment after working out what they want to do with her and the baby still sticks in my mind.
It's that real horror narrative used to excellent effect of trying to escape something sinister and then it turns out that the people you turn to are involved in the very things you are trying to escape from!

The witches (this time the old hammer version) uses a similar template vulnerable woman finds out about the mass involvement in witchcraft turns to help in all the wrong places but in this film she challenges the enemy (head witch) and prevails (which kind of spoilt it a bit?) but it's atmospheric and builds the story well.

Peter Greenaway and the Draughtsman's contract is another good one about an innocent man lured into a situation by promises of prestige and seduction who finds out that he has to pay the ultimate price?

Lastly the comfort of strangers by Paul Schrader...
Another film that maybe isn't that well known but should be!
Again not classic horror but a strange and disconcerting thriller set in Venice about (another popular theme here) innocents abroad that are cruelly are lured into a false sense of security and obligation and then are taken advantage of in the worst possible sense.
It's hypnotic seductive atmospheric and I found the ending quite heart breaking!

• Heart
Ghostwatch, the sound of banging radiator pipes.
I don't watch horror films now but the ones I remember and terrified me were
Exorcist,
Hellraiser (pinhead and hooks)
Poltergeist (the bony faced man in the hat) Salem's lot (close your curtains!)
The ring (b&w horses and creepy girl),
Carrie
Omen
Nightmare on elm Street (puppet veins)
It.
Christine/Duel (even vehicles are scary!)
Blair witch (the ending).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Day of the Locust and Bug, both films from 1975 and neither of them that well-known.
Oh I love Day of the Locust such a haunting film it really gives an accurate picture of the seediness desperation and loneliness of old Hollywood.
I really think it's Donald Sutherland's finest moment as an actor? He gives the character he plays such a melancholy and yet sweet vulnerability that when he really looses it at the end of the film it's a shocking horrifying moment.

I haven't seen Bug I'll have to check that out I love seventies horror/thriller films I really think they made the best films back then.

I also think that the original Halloween film by John Carpenter is another horror classic that maybe gets a bit overlooked these days?
Just hearing the very creepy music alone is enough to put me on edge!

Also thinking of 70's/80's directors most of Brian De Palma's output from that time was consistently of a high quality. Including Carrie and The fury amongst others.

years and years ago, when i was like 10, or 11 I went to a sleepover for my friends birthday & we watched Candyman. I tit my pants! lol, all my friends were like "shall we say candyman in the mirror?" erm no thanks. Not seen it since. I hate slashers so never really watched them apart from the usual Scream, and all them 90s and 00s films. Poltergeist creeped me out for ages too. I like the paranormal type horrors so if anyone can recommend me some scary ones? I'v not watched a decent horror in forever!

• Haha
Has anyone seen this on netflix? Ive not seen any hype but I loved this and found it very creepy!
Yes I watched this a while ago! Didn’t really know what to expect but really enjoyed it. Thought it was very clever