Sali Hughes #62 it’s good manners, payment pending of course

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I lurk here mostly, but am wondering of any of you wise people (who entertain me daily and whose beauty advice I trust) know if it's acceptable to use regular hair conditioner in place of leave-in? I love a leave-in, but you usually end up paying more for less and I've started wondering...daren't try it until someone advises me yay or nay because bad hair days haunt me. I have a giant bottle of the Olapex rinse-out conditioner that I got on offer, so I was thinking about that specifically. I love the leave-in one (no.6?) but it's a million pounds for a thimbleful.
Defo don't leave a rinse out one in. Garnier Superfoods (in the big tubs) are good for the price, you can leave in or rinse out with those. Cheap enough to slap loads on regularly or absentmindedly discard in a Grand Central/LNER carriage should the desire take you.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Defo don't leave a rinse out one in. Garnier Superfoods (in the big tubs) are good for the price, you can leave in or rinse out with those. Cheap enough to slap loads on regularly or absentmindedly discard in a Grand Central/LNER carriage should the desire take you.
Can I ask what is the ingredient in regular conditioners that shouldn’t be left in?

Reactions: 3
Can I ask what is the ingredient in regular conditioners that shouldn’t be left in?
I doubt that there is much difference ingredient wise, I've just always found that rinse out conditioners are a lot 'heavier' as they're designed to condition then be rinsed away, I've tried leaving them in, and they just leave my hair greasy looking and weighed down. Leave in conditioners are more lightweight, as they're intended to condition and Hydrate over a longer time frame and because they aren't being rinsed out, they're much lighter weight.

I might be talking utter codswallop here, happy to be corrected!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I lurk here mostly, but am wondering of any of you wise people (who entertain me daily and whose beauty advice I trust) know if it's acceptable to use regular hair conditioner in place of leave-in? I love a leave-in, but you usually end up paying more for less and I've started wondering...daren't try it until someone advises me yay or nay because bad hair days haunt me. I have a giant bottle of the Olapex rinse-out conditioner that I got on offer, so I was thinking about that specifically. I love the leave-in one (no.6?) but it's a million pounds for a thimbleful.
My understanding is that regular conditioner has a different pH to leave-in and can cause build up/ dull hair if not rinsed out properly over time. You shouldn’t need to use a lot of good quality leave-in. I use Pureology and it’s just 8/9 sprays each time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Ty!
I saw the recent Lisa Eldridge YouTube and she does a steamer / heater thing on her hair to help deep conditioning masks penetrate, but I’m trying to not buy unnecessary electrical gadgets, does anyone have any hacks? Maybe using a clothes steamer at a distance or smth?

Thanks to all - I have tried the Garnier and didn't get on with them as leave-ins. Most leave-ins seems to make my hair acceptable for about 24 hours, but then it just turns frizzy and weird again, whereas the Olaplex 6 will give me 5 days of good service. Been looking online and have resolved to give the Revolution Olaplex dupe a try. I will not attempt to use rinse-out as leave-in, though...

Reactions: 5
Make sure that you’re not putting conditioner near your scalp, just on your lengths.

Ty!
I saw the recent Lisa Eldridge YouTube and she does a steamer / heater thing on her hair to help deep conditioning masks penetrate, but I’m trying to not buy unnecessary electrical gadgets, does anyone have any hacks? Maybe using a clothes steamer at a distance or smth?
I have a microwaveable bonnet, it’s filled with flaxseeds and I stick it on over a shower cap 😊

Ty!
I watched her video (I love Lisa) but don’t think this is necessary. As long as you use the right products for your hair, you wouldn’t need to spend time steaming it. The Blowout Professor’s advice on YouTube is sound and has made the biggest difference to my hair with far fewer products and faffing.

Reactions: 6
Ty!
Sit on the bog with the shower running? 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I've used rinse out as leave in, in a pinch - you can either really, really dilute it and put it in a spray bottle (you'll need to experiment with exactly how diluted it needs to be without making your hair lank), or you can wash, condition and dry your hair as normal, then take a tiny bit of the conditioner, rub your hands together and spread it on the dry hair ( like applying serum).
---
Ty!
Cheap shower cap on your hair, then run a hairdryer over it on a high heat/low blow setting?

Managed to get some cicaplast this evening and my haggard old face feels better already. I’m delighted. Thanks all!

Reactions: 16
I'll often leave in rinse out conditioner.
I'll conditioner as nornal and then after rinsing apply a small amount the damp hair

Nornally do it with the really nice smelling one

I have very thirsty hair so works perfectly

I
I'll often leave in rinse out conditioner.
I'll conditioner as nornal and then after rinsing apply a small amount the damp hair

Nornally do it with the really nice smelling one

I have very thirsty hair so works perfectly
I do this too - no ill-effects. I have wavy/curly hair though so can handle a decent amount of moisture. I sometimes cowash instead of using shampoo too, my scalp prefers it.

Ty!
Put on a cheap shower cap (or even wrap your hair clingfilm), then dip a towel into tolerably hot water - don't burn yourself! - and wring it out really well and wrap it around your hair like a turban. My mum used to do this for us when we were kids having deep conditioning treatments and it worked pretty well without the steamer caps or dryer bonnets, although you can get dryer bonnets fairly cheaply now (under a tenner!) and not just in Afro hair care stores like in Ye Days of Old.

Surely, as with any hair advice, whether it not you can use rinse out conditioner as leave in or whether you can use conditioner on/near your scalp will entirely depend on your hair type.

I wouldn't dream of doing either of these on my 1b veering towards 1a hair which can barely tolerate any sort of conditioner without looking lank and weighed down (please, anyone who has this hair type, what shampoo do you use? I dream of finding the perfect one but everything is either too moist or too squeaky clean). But I'd never assume the same advice applies to someone with 4c hair.

This is where Sali always falls down. She doesn't even seem to know her own hair type, or at least doesn't treat it as if she does.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.