Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If there's nothing small or vegetarian enough for her she can go to Central Park and chew on some grass.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
There are also these things that I think they have in NYC called « sides ».
They’re like meals, but they’re smaller.

• Haha
See those women in NYC who made plus-size a thing...what was that show? Oh yeah, Sex and the City. Non stop gluttony.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It’s like she saw a chance to make a tired stereotype about the country she’s staying, but failed to realise that the city she‘s in is SO not typical of the rest of the country. Sali, you are the stereotype, such a basic tourist.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I follow a Korean woman on YT who now lives in NY. She goes to some amazing eateries - nothing fancy. But bloody hell if you can't find decent food there - in appropriate portion sizes - you must be either beyond fussy or unadventurous. The Korean food looks amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
In a very roundabout way this reminds me of the time my grandparents went on holiday and bought too much pizza…they ended up having to heat it up in their hotel room as they (sadly) don’t agree with me on the joys of cold pizza.
Anyway, my nan heated the pizza up with a hairdryer 😂😂😂
Did the toppings not end up all over the room? I'm imagining pepperoni stuck to walls, anchovies splattered against lampshades 😂🍕

• Haha
Admittedly I was last in NY a few years ago but there was a cheap chain salad place in Times Square that did for me when I just wanted fresh stuff.

Reactions: 7
598EF1A6-6826-4086-95E4-22691CB9EEA6.png

DBEF8CF4-BD48-4E9D-82CC-079AA6BF9CAE.jpeg
1371D0F9-D569-4307-A936-57828196DC2E.png

Jennifer
153 reviews · 5 followers
Follow

July 29, 2022
Just why? The usefulness of this book could be contained within a pamphlet

I've read so many books like this over the years but I am yet to find one that gives any helpful or useful advice or insight . Sadly this is still the case. It's not even clear who the target audience would be.. It starts off as a series of money saving tips for the affluent - how to repurpose Diptyque candle jars,, how to source vintage furniture, how to open champagne, how to hire a cleaner.. If there are any actual useful tips - stain removal, hot to descale a kettle. how to protect clothes from moths, they can be easily found on the internet without the need to purchase a £21.99 book.

It appears to be organized in a completely random fashion with tips scattered willy nilly with no clear theme or sectioning jumping from field to field completely nonsensically - from staircarpets to buying a pram, stopcocks to books. For a fashion and beauty editor it contains very questionable style and fashion advice. But this book gets even worse as the author dispenses "advice" on abortions , breastfeeding and depression which is inappropriate and she is totally unqualified to do so. Her comments giving direction on "how to grieve" are incredibly trite and extremely offensive to those of us who have actually experienced grief..

After finishing this book I am not sure what exactly it is meant to be - an interior design manual, a cookbook, a style and fashion guide. All of which are areas completely out of the author's wheelhouse. There are better titles out there in all of these categories. There are far too few handy hints and far too much of her personal anecdotes which add little to the content. Hughes is a beauty journalist and that is her area of expertise and from looking at photos of her online she appears to be far too young to have accumulated the gravitas and benefit of years of experience to advise on such serious matters as are contained in this book. The content could have been so easily contained in a short pamphlet - Wear sunscreen, don't be a slave to fashion and this is how you cook pasta.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Do you think the editors managed to get her not to call the candle jars “votives”, at least?

• Haha
Sali's personal anecdotes sold as expert advice, no surprise at all.

"Don't be a slave to fashion". 🤭

• Haha
I follow a Korean woman on YT who now lives in NY. She goes to some amazing eateries - nothing fancy. But bloody hell if you can't find decent food there - in appropriate portion sizes - you must be either beyond fussy or unadventurous. The Korean food looks amazing.
Yes yes yes! Last time I was there I had delicious Korean food (in "european" sized portions and the best Japanese dishes I've ever had (still dream about it 🤣).

• Heart
That’s hilarious.
She was v proud when she told me as well (she’d asked me to try and guess how they heated it up first; I failed).

Did the toppings not end up all over the room? I'm imagining pepperoni stuck to walls, anchovies splattered against lampshades 😂🍕
A very valid question which I also asked! She said they stuck the pieces to each other (topping to topping) and then heated up the doughy bits. Yes my family are mental.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Well I just tried to post my review to Amazon and got this..

This product is not eligible to be reviewed
Would be because the book is not on sale on Amazon yet.

Imagine the audacity this woman has to give advice (no one has asked her for) about how to grieve- wankerism on another level.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
I think it’s because she was given positive feedback after her appearance on the Griefcast (where I think she spoke candidly about her personal situation when her mother died and came across well IMO). She’ll have converted the praise into the belief that she has expert-level insight to pass onto others (as well as asking herself how to monetise and promote her points of view on the topic).

• Sad
Reactions: 18
So she talks about terminations in the book? 😬
Yikes.
She is tackling so many huge topics in it - alongside pasta and candles. I just can't see how it will be able to come across as anything other than trite.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
I just don't understand why you wouldn't write a proper book. Ok so let's say grief is a topic that interests her. Why not write a proper book about grief? Speak to experts and distill their information down? Relate stories from others in their grief journeys etc.

If you're interested in pasta then go follow the pasta queen on Instagram. Nothing weird just decent recipes and a fun vibe.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.