Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just don't understand why you wouldn't write a proper book. Ok so let's say grief is a topic that interests her. Why not write a proper book about grief? Speak to experts and distill their information down? Relate stories from others in their grief journeys etc.
Yes, but i imagine that bitesize, curated pastel toned grief bon mots sell better than the hellish horror of actual grief, at least in an influencer's demographic.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
“Money saving tips for the affluent - how to repurpose Diptique candle jars” That is glorious! I cannot wait for this book. We‘ll tear it shreds like Brighton seagulls on chips.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
“Money saving tips for the affluent - how to repurpose Diptique candle jars” That is glorious! I cannot wait for this book. We‘ll tear it shreds like Brighton seagulls on chips.
It'll be this but in reverse. Sali will make chocolate puddings in them
Screenshot_20220730-114053_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I just don't understand why you wouldn't write a proper book. Ok so let's say grief is a topic that interests her. Why not write a proper book about grief? Speak to experts and distill their information down? Relate stories from others in their grief journeys etc.
That would be completely beyond her. Nothing she has done before suggests she is capable of anything more than the upcoming mishmash of tips and anecdotes.

Reactions: 13
Whenever invited to talk about her career, SH invariably says that she had always wanted to be a journalist, was only a make-up assistant etc as a stop gap. Anyone aspiring to be a journalist would, I imagined, aspire to be the next Woodward and Bernstein or Harry Evans or Lois Lane - but I imagined wrongly.

In one article (or maybe podcast) that I came across quite recently she was clear that the career she had in mind was as a women's magazine journalist. So, not slogging away on the newsdesk or following up leads to get her next big scoop, but writing articles about fashion and beauty and other areas of 'women's interest'. That's what I think the book will be - a collection of the sort of articles she saw herself writing for women's magazines in the 1990s.

Growing up, I loved magazines too. I'd count the days till the next issues were coming out. But that was then. I don't imagine the book will be as bad as that review makes out but - based on the pre-publication publicity - it does sound as if it might have been written for another era.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Sunscreen this week.

Recommending “new” products that Caroline Huron flogged us last summer. A year behind the times Sal.

They are actually very good.

The food stuff really smacks of “I’m so tiny, I can’t eat that much” yet she always tells us how she’s thin without the need for exercise or food restrictions.

Recommending “new” products that Caroline Huron flogged us last summer. A year behind the times Sal.

They are actually very good.

The food stuff really smacks of “I’m so tiny, I can’t eat that much” yet she always tells us how she’s thin without the need for exercise or food restrictions.
I know right. I’ve been using that cheap and cheerful suncream for ages! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
Well it seems like the book is is absolute codswallop. From reading that review it feels like it's a stream of consciousness about baked potatoes, perfume, kettle descaling, frocks and stopcocks. Whew!

But I have no problem with her talking about abortion and don't think that should be a subject left only to those 'qualified' (as per the reviewer). It's a medical procedure that millions of women have had, including She Here, and she should feel free to speak about her experiences if she wants. Just as she has with breast reduction surgery.

So many attacks on women's reproductive rights at the moment, too many people invested in shaming women into keeping silent on the subject of abortion. The more women who speak frankly about their experiences the better imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
But could the same not be said about her putting herself forward as an expert on grief? She experienced grief and wants to talk about it. I don't think the reviewer was trying to shame Sali for talking about reproductive rights and of course Sali is free to talk about it- it's that she's putting herself forward as an expert on everything. And I'm not convinced that putting this topic in a frivolous book will do anything to advance reproductive rights- if anything it trivialises it

Reactions: 17
Abortion is an everyday occurrence and I feel should be spoken about as such, even in vapid insta-lifestyle books. I'm assuming she's approaching these topics from a 'here's what I did when I had an abortion/my mum died/etc'. If she's giving prescriptive 'here are the exact steps you need to take when X happens' then that's bullshit. But all women should feel free to talk about abortion. Same as we would about a hysterectomy or fibroid surgery.

It's Sali so no, I don't trust that she will write it from the point of view of 'this is what I did, you might find it helpful', I can imagine it will be her usual prescriptive and rules driven tone

Remember, the book actually has 'life lessons' in the title. And again, no one is saying she can't talk about her abortion. But there's a difference between talking about personal experience and putting yourself forward as an expert

Reactions: 19
I know right. I’ve been using that cheap and cheerful suncream for ages! 🤦🏻‍♀️
Is it good? Presumably it is if you’ve been using it for ages. I’m off on holiday next week and want something cheap but nice for my face. I find things like Anthelios and the others that are raved about ~fine, I guess~ but I don’t want to spend more than £10 on anything I’m not excited about. I’ve learned the hard way not to follow SH’s advice on most things! (Lash paradise, flower foundation, pomegranate shampoo (plumtious!!), Beauty Pie moisturiser… the list goes on)

Reactions: 10
Is it good? Presumably it is if you’ve been using it for ages. I’m off on holiday next week and want something cheap but nice for my face. I find things like Anthelios and the others that are raved about ~fine, I guess~ but I don’t want to spend more than £10 on anything I’m not excited about. I’ve learned the hard way not to follow SH’s advice on most things! (Lash paradise, flower foundation, pomegranate shampoo (plumtious!!), Beauty Pie moisturiser… the list goes on)
It’s fab. The one with hyaluronic acid for dry skin is very shiny. The Anti Age one is perfect. It’s brilliant under makeup and I personally don’t need a moisturiser underneath which makes it even cheaper!

Reactions: 4
Oh that’s so much bread. And such a huge sandwich. I couldn’t cope. Would be craving a clear soup after all that!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Abortion is an everyday occurrence and I feel should be spoken about as such, even in vapid insta-lifestyle books. I'm assuming she's approaching these topics from a 'here's what I did when I had an abortion/my mum died/etc'. If she's giving prescriptive 'here are the exact steps you need to take when X happens' then that's bullshit. But all women should feel free to talk about abortion. Same as we would about a hysterectomy or fibroid surgery.
it's the latter.. i didnt notice any personal anecdotes here but then again other reviewers seem to write about her comments about her father but the book is so vapid if there were any i didn't notice

Reactions: 9
It’s fab. The one with hyaluronic acid for dry skin is very shiny. The Anti Age one is perfect. It’s brilliant under makeup and I personally don’t need a moisturiser underneath which makes it even cheaper!
They don't sell it here. Boo. I bought both the Aussie Gold and Elta MD sunscreens everyone raves about and hate them both. They are thick and heavy on my face, and make me feel greasy and claustrophobic (I don't wear foundation for that reason). I like something silky and barely there, like Missha Sun Milk (I have no clue if it was involved in the Great Korean Sunscreen Scandal or not)

EDIT: Glossier's Invisible Shield is also nice

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.