Sali Hughes #4 The Keats of foundation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Joining here after seeing the instarant. I was a complete little Colin sheep but unfollowed SH on insta a few months back when it became sooooo obvious she'd had surgery and botox and was lying about it. She was also really rude to me on the GTL page more than once.
Tell us more , always tell us more ❤

Reactions: 3
To elaborate, there was a time I pointed out that £70 for a foundation was not a reasonably amount for me and really got sneered at for not wanting to just fork out. I mean fgs that's a lot of money unless you have press freebies!

There was another time I asked a question about sunscreen and got such a snappy response (basically I have such bad allergies to sunscreen, this is not an especially sunny isle and I wear shades etc, how much is it worth the swollen eyelids?) again a fairly short and sharp response telling me to buy a very expensive sunscreen.

Reactions: 8
O

Oh wow, thanks Victoria for the explaination, i've been wanting to know what all this is about for ages. This actually makes me want to buy DE products now! CH is a self important, condecending, vindictive hole. Glad someone sees through her.
Go to CH thread, it’s all there in its’ glory.

Reactions: 3
The whole Carey thing was interesting as well. I never thought much of it but when on GTL and the forum I never got the impression they were personal friends. I remember I looked back over Carey's posts to see interactions with SH and there wasn't really. Maybe I missed something but I was surprised when the big grief seemed to happen (don't get me wrong I was saddened by Carey's death, we'd chatted online a few times and she seemed lovely).

Reactions: 2
Wow, what drama. Had to re-sign up again just to add my support. From the accusations made by Sali, she is basically twisting the narrative rather than accept others have differing opinions about her Bestie CT, and her own misleading content. Have people accused CT of being a poor employer, yes. Have people felt misled in Sali's product recommendations due to her "tweakments" and undisclosed ads, partnerships etc, well yes. The only time people have mentioned her children, is to question why Sali is putting them on social media. The only time people have mentioned Carey, is to question why Sali thinks it appropriate to exploit her deceased friend's privacy and link it into brands like Chanel. The only time people have brought up her partner, is to question why she thinks bringing up what good a "shag" he is is professional and mature.

No one has "harassed" Sali, as far as I know, we are all just making product discussion and impartiality discussion that otherwise would have been made on the Guardian, if it were not heavily moderated. Whereas, according to this thread. Sali et al have bullied others on different forums if they disagree on product, made threats to posters, and searched through their profiles online. Neverminding the abuse she has given to Lauren Luke, Esther and Dawn. Along with the repeated use of homophobic and mental health slurs.

Crying like that in reaction to this thread just manipulation, as she has not addressed any of the comments and is instead wrongly accusing others of things she has done herself. It should be a time for humility and growth. To take onboard fellow women's negative experiences of the beauty industry, and address that her coloumn has turned into just a list of ad's.

If anyone has spoken about her personal life, it has been because she has published it online. Does she forget how she has bullied other women via social media, gone after for no real reason Owen Jones and Susan Sarandon, not made her forum a safe space for discussion, spoken about her childhood and career progression and used this as a means to qualify her opinions?

Her column is a throwback, she doesn't disclose that the products mentioned are "gifted", whereas a blogger or instagrammer would have to. She takes on freebies like haircuts etc like any other influencer that has little to do with her journalism. And her coloumn offers no reak eductation or empowerment. It's just shilling. Look at how Violette fr and co talk about makeup and wellbeing, it's fun, it's workable and transferable to differing price points. Look at how Nadine Baggott is so open about getting "tweakments", and presents this in a professional down to earth manner rather than masking it all. Influencers actually show products, they don't just give a list of plugs, plus a headshot that has nothing to do with what has been advertised, they demonstrate and offer a range of positive or more critical opinions. Shower cap gate, she could have included a pic of it being worn, test it out in comparison to those at cheaper price points, address that even for a re-usable it is shockingly expensive... but nothing, all that was taken from that was the manufacturer came into the comments to sook up to others "we named it after you!" and bash competitors, along with basically showing it was an AD rather than an organic decision from Sali.

That is what is concerning, people still think Sali is just recommending products she has "loved for years" and is not just the same as any other influencer who is plugging the latest launch. People in the comments think she is a professor of beauty & skincare, bit like caroline, and will buy thinking her opinion is qualified, when in reality, what do we actually learn from the column? Her use of "cruelty free" and ethics "boils my piss", as she never clarifies that a product has certain certifications, is owned by so and so unethical parent company, contains animal ingredients, is tested on animals etc.Considering it is also her column, there is no clear ethical slant either, which highlights that it's just a mish mash of ads (how can one promote L'oreal!).

Sorry for this long post, I'm sorry for others who have spoken on here who have been or felt intimated, that is not justifiable, and all over daring to have differing opinions on product!
You win the internet today!! Bravo! Very well articulated 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 10
And there was another one! I remember asking about the hair dye thing (as she has said she was allergic to all hairdye, I was going through a bad allergy phase and was scared to dye my hair) she replied "it's simple, don't dye". I don't think that she wasn't dyeing, I mean I am sure she has grey hairs!

Reactions: 5
And there was another one! I remember asking about the hair dye thing (as she has said she was allergic to all hairdye, I was going through a bad allergy phase and was scared to dye my hair) she replied "it's simple, don't dye". I don't think that she wasn't dyeing, I mean I am sure she has grey hairs!
This rings a ghastly curt bell 🛎.... Certain folk got her La Snipparachi personality flung at them like a bucket of #presstreatment dank piss, others get fawning care packages and offers to do your wedding makeup

• Haha
Reactions: 9
This rings a ghastly curt bell 🛎.... Certain folk got her La Snipparachi personality flung at them like a bucket of #presstreatment dank piss, others get fawning care packages and offers to do your wedding makeup
Yes I definitely saw it all the time, hot and cold! I'm not upset because I didn't get personal treatment or anything, was just surprised. Why respond if its to snip?

Reactions: 6
I’ve just caught up here properly after a busy day. My little #povfaces, how are you? Did any of you manage to open your curtains or string a sentence together? I doubt it.

I’d just really like to say how lovely I am and how much I would never stoop to the level of bullying. Except that one time when someone told me Dawn was a Prawn and I ran with it because I found myself really rather smart. And the other time I had to publicly slate the efforts of a colleague because I wanted what she had (a job). Oh yeah and the other time when I slagged off that awful woman who has money. Can’t remember her name. Don’t know what you’re on about. Thanks. Sx

The Mumsnet thread closing is disappointing. It goes some way to normalising a censored debate instead of an organic one and that is never healthy. It saddens me that tattle has a reputation as I really don’t think it’s bad at all. It’s normal and natural and if influencers have the piss taken out of them, so what?! It gives the normal people a chance to realise how undesirable that horrible, narcisistic world is.

It puts the willies through me to think my daughters will grow up to have bizarre stepford wives and mean girls putting out an aggressive narrative which even democratic platforms refuse to let people speak out against. This is truly a worrying time for the UK.

As for woke: it is the least woke thing in the world to stifle discussion. I am seriously considering doxxing myself and publishing all my comments to normalise disagreeing. I’ve had mad ideas today about starting an instagram with one screen grab from this thread a day (only from users who give permission, of course) or about writing to a national broadsheet with receipts and ideas and theory in order to open up an actual balanced conversation. I know some of this sounds a bit mad but I truly believe there is a social media ruling class and they are taking it too far.

Please excuse such a garbled message as I’ve been in meetings for 11 hours non stop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
What is the definition of trolling btw? Is it asking genuine questions or sharing real experience in a non inflammatory way? I thought it was when you faked an identity and said deliberately horrible things?

What is the definition of trolling btw? Is it asking genuine questions or sharing real experience in a non inflammatory way? I thought it was when you faked an identity and said deliberately horrible things?
It’s a pejorative term used for people who deliberately stir things up. It can literally be applied to people who don’t have a clear identity and ask awkward questions but that is a wilful misrepresentation of the term. It’s usually people who come in and ruin the conversation for everyone.
So asking a question related to the topic which others may have wondered, or making an interesting point which counters the original, are not really troll actions.

It’s a pejorative term used for people who deliberately stir things up. It can literally be applied to people who don’t have a clear identity and ask awkward questions but that is a wilful misrepresentation of the term. It’s usually people who come in and ruin the conversation for everyone.
So asking a question related to the topic which others may have wondered, or making an interesting point which counters the original, are not really troll actions.
Thanks that's kind of what I thought. It's weird how that is a crime right? I get that calling names or accusing sometime of lying etc might be but that's not what trolling is I think. The world is so confusing! I don't follow her any more and will avoid. Have also deleted any influencers from my SM.

Reactions: 1
The thing I’ve been wondering about with influencers in general is that they might not receive payment but that they’re often friends with the owner of a brand they’re recommending, or represented by the same agency etc. So it’s quid pro quo vs actual payment and therefore deniable. No idea if that’s the case and obviously entirely impossible to regulate. Just a general thought vs directed at anybody specifically.

SH and her cronies definition of 'troll' is anyone that disagrees with what they say. You are trolling them if you criticize, have a different opinion, or think what they are saying is generally insane.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 11
Hello to all the Mumsnetters who didn't fall for the hype and came to check it out for themselves. My ranty "hypocritical cunts" post early on in the thread does not apply to you, just the pearl-clutchers calling this a cesspit without actually bothering to read/comprehend properly.

@Mselvista I've replied to your query, not sure if you've seen it. Whilst I couldn't find that particular tweet archived, it would appear that Sali's gang were quite the vitriolic little coven back in the day.

Loving this tweet from the Bigboyler back when DP was being targeted.

1569870100532.png

• Haha
Reactions: 20
No, MOD deactivated her account herself after she got ripped to shreds over slagging Kim Kardashian off. It wasn’t suspended by IG.
She deactivated her own account but I knew it was something to do with Mumsnet, I'm afraid KK can't blamed on this one :p :

In a Mumsnet thread called Influencer ethics on Instagram, the 33-year-old mum of four was accused of using her @mother_of_daughters Instagram account to post 'ethically dubious' pictures of her children for advertising, reports The Telegraph.

<<user requested post to be deleted >>

Precisely, and often people are online BECAUSE they are having a terrible time in real life. They use SM as a form of escapism then get bullied. Twitter in particular is utterly brutal.

I vote with my wallet. Never but their books. They are all totally vain when it comes to their books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4
<<quote removed at users request >>

This is such a brilliant post and yes, it was me who was already in a dark place. Like I wrote in my post, I thought the GTL FB group and subsequently the forum would be a welcome distraction but how wrong I was. It's exactly like you said, it feels like you're being kicked repeatedly and left for dead because none of them would touch with bargepole anymore. But together we are stronger <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9
For balance (as SH thinks we all dislike her) I bought and enjoyed both of her books. The second one was a bit niche but I loved it. The column used to be my Saturday morning highlight and I checked it first thing. The recent one on mascaras was actually pretty good too

Reactions: 5
Any title that is peppered with puff quotes from the mean girls is automatically rejected. No way am I helping to pay their bills.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.