Sali Hughes #36 She irons her face, rather than her shirt.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
500 quid per consultation, I think.
You aren't joking?
And people paid this?

And she definitely should override her quirky no ironing rule for those trousers. There is something a bit off about them that I can't put my finger on. The shape? The rather odd pleats down the front? Dunno.

Reactions: 6
You aren't joking?
And people paid this?

And she definitely should override her quirky no ironing rule for those trousers. There is something a bit off about them that I can't put my finger on. The shape? The rather odd pleats down the front? Dunno.
Now I'm wondering if it was £250 for a fashion or beauty consultation and £500 for both? I only remember one person posting that they had a beauty consultation with SH and a consultation was a prize in a competition on GTL. I remember a disclaimer that the prize didn't include anything the winner bought on SH's recommendation so now I'm thinking maybe it was £500 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 7
The sandals don’t help and the length of the trousers finish at the wrong length for her height.

Reactions: 7
They look like they would disintegrate in a rain shower. I’m not actually criticising Sali’s shape of weight, I just think these are not the trousers for her as they do her no favours. Just because they fit you doesn’t mean you should wear them.

Reactions: 9
Those trousers are an abomination. Not criticising her as they would look equally abominable on me (but I wouldn't buy them, let alone wear them). Whistles stuff is way overpriced and often not very nice.
And her hair is BLONDE.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I think Whistles has really declined in the last few years. Quality has dropped and the designs seem kinda half arsed

Reactions: 11
The sandals don’t help and the length of the trousers finish at the wrong length for her height.
On the Whistles website the models wearing the trousers are 5ft 10 and 5ft 11. The trousers therefore look 7/8 length, they have put them with a slide sandal and, although not something I'd wear, they look much better. They are also elasticated at the back waistband which I feel is a difficult look to pull off, especially with a trekker style sandal.

(sorry I'm probably repeating what's been done before😬!)
Were the comments on her column really that bad 8 years ago?

Just reading her most popular blog post and it seems a tad hyperbolic. I don't think anyone judges someone for wanting their skin to look healthy and clear. However the beauty industry is very wasteful, praying on insecurities with lots of products based on hot air. Having a few products that work isn't going to fly in a capitalist world. Of course making someone feel good is good, but there's plenty to be sceptical about.

Before freaky Friday and us racist trolls forced comments to be disabled forever I didn't see comments that reflect this clap back.

Screenshot_20210729-120537_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210729-120304_Chrome.jpg

I like how she only pops up in the replies (of the first couple of pages that I read before getting bored) to say she's already done that in full and correct her name 😆
Screenshot_20210729-120326_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210729-121810_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I think she used to get a lot of “this isn’t real journalism, why is this in The Guardian?” type comments, as did anything relating to lifestyle, especially stereotypical female interests.

I’ve never really understood her defensiveness over it, because it was (and still sometimes is) a really common comment? Usually drenched in misogyny, yes, but very easy to ignore because it’s such a pointless comment.

Although I suppose now I’m thinking about it, perhaps she has felt a bit of imposter syndrome at her lack of journalism training, so it hit her where it hurts?

Going to say again I really do like the trousers, just not for her. They’re too long for her and she needs to size up for the barrel-type shape to be obvious - they look too tight on her hips. It makes it all look wrong.

Really they’d look best on someone slim, tall and edgy, but even if Sali sized up, got them made shorter and bloody ironed them, they’d look a lot better:
91DE6202-D8E7-4B0A-9005-EC139CFAEEA9.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Size up? Lol. Sali wouldn’t be seen dead in a 10. SHE IS AN EIGHT OR AN XS!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Those wrinkley trousers are terrible!!!! Too tight on the thigh and the zip is bulging. Size up Sali Selfie!

I think she’s going to Sam Chapman’s wedding this Saturday, I’m actually looking forward to seeing what she’ll wear .

Vampire’s Wife or Whistles?
Aaah Sam Chapman. Mrs Retired From Social Media but here's a selfie of my frozen face every day of the week for you all to enjoy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I think she used to get a lot of “this isn’t real journalism, why is this in The Guardian?” type comments, as did anything relating to lifestyle, especially stereotypical female interests.

I’ve never really understood her defensiveness over it, because it was (and still sometimes is) a really common comment? Usually drenched in misogyny, yes, but very easy to ignore because it’s such a pointless comment.

Although I suppose now I’m thinking about it, perhaps she has felt a bit of imposter syndrome at her lack of journalism training, so it hit her where it hurts?

Going to say again I really do like the trousers, just not for her. They’re too long for her and she needs to size up for the barrel-type shape to be obvious - they look too tight on her hips. It makes it all look wrong.

Really they’d look best on someone slim, tall and edgy, but even if Sali sized up, got them made shorter and bloody ironed them, they’d look a lot better:
View attachment 685708
The ones Sali is wearing are too tight on her hips as you say, the pockets are gaping and pulling. And the tightness makes them look like they might be see through.
They actually look nice on the model here.

Interesting what you say @Aude about other comments. Jess CM always gets a mixture of complimentary, amusing and downright rude. She seems to be able to rise above it and not take it personally - even if some comments are personal. No one should have to suffer direct abuse - but you really can't put your thoughts and opinions on line and be overly thinskinned I'm afraid.
Sali wrote an article slating Cheryl Cole (as she was) a while ago and got absolutely slated quite rightly imo. She replied a lot in the comments and seemed to blame any criticism there on the fact she was a beauty writer and resented the fact people said she should stay in her lane.

• Wow
Out of curiosity the other day I looked at the btl comments for the five other Guardian columnists who had contributed to that feature last weekend on holidays. They were Tim Dowling (driving), Zoe Williams (parenting, I think), Jess Cartner-Morley (fashion), Alex Petridis (music) and Felicity Cloake (food). For all except SH there's the facility for readers to comment on their regular columns.

And you know what? There's the same mix of comments as there used to be on SH's weekly column: appreciative, critical, agreeing, disagreeing, offering suggestions, offering own experience, taking the piss, trying to be clever, being judgemental, going off-topic. In fact the ratio of negative to positive seemed rather higher than I remember for comments on SH's weekly column.

These were the highest rated comments on the first JC-M column I looked at:

1627561036856.png

These were the highest rated comments on the first FC column I looked at:

1627561269586.png

Reactions: 10
Wow the old BTL replies sound quite narcissistic IMO.
It’s the way she makes it personal - if you judge me in the comments, then it’s valid for me to judge you as a person. It feels like she has always wanted to “put a face” to the dissident comments. I think that is because she wants to have it out with you/Becky/trolls/people with a different opinion.
As pointed out, most journos rise above it, dismiss it, don’t engage.

It looks like they cut off the sample wheel nails and glued them straight on to her

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Omg those nails 😬 They look so tacky. They are so long and plastic looking and dipped in cheapo glitter.
I can only assume Lilly must dislike her.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Christ, they look appalling! She could have done better herself with some Superdrug glue-on ones.

Whistles was lovely years ago, now it’s all viscose everything.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.